ADVERTISEMENT

UT vs ND game moved to SUNDAY

CoachEmUp64

Jan 15, 2015
Here's the press release from UT:

Texas-Notre Dame football game date moved to Sunday, Sept. 4

Two of college football’s winningest programs will meet in an exclusive Labor Day weekend window.

AUSTIN — In an effort to maximize the national reach, the date has changed for the 2016 matchup of two of college football’s all-time victory leaders. Texas (No. 3/886 wins) and Notre Dame (No. 2/892 wins) will now meet on Sunday, Sept. 4, in Austin. The game has been moved from its originally scheduled date of Saturday, Sept. 3, and will be an exclusive Sunday highlight of the Labor Day weekend. Though the game time will be an evening kickoff, the official time and broadcast entity have not yet been confirmed.

“When you hear Texas Longhorns and Notre Dame Fighting Irish it grabs everyone’s attention,” Texas Men’s Athletics Director Mike Perrin said. “That’s a historic sporting event that fans worldwide want to see. This schedule provides a wonderful opportunity to play the game in an exclusive window so everyone can see it. We discussed it quite a bit and took into account all of the factors in making the decision. Now we are thrilled to take part in this showcase opportunity for both of the schools, our teams and passionate fans. In a weekend full of key college football match-ups across the country, these great institutions and storied programs will meet at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in a stand-alone spot on the college football calendar. That is tremendously exciting for all of us involved.”

Texas and Notre Dame have combined to win over 72 percent of their games in their histories and have met in football 11 times dating back to 1913 with the Fighting Irish holding a 9-2 advantage. The last meeting in Austin pitted No. 6 Texas vs. No. 9 Notre Dame in 1996. That game came down to the wire as the Fighting Irish kicked a 39-yard field goal as time expired in a 27-24 victory. Charlie Strong was a Notre Dame assistant coach at the time.

“Having worked in both programs, I have a deep appreciation of the great football pride, tradition and passion at Texas and Notre Dame,” Strong said. “This is a game we’re obviously very excited about and really looking forward to. I think moving it to Sunday with no NFL games when it can really be in the spotlight will make it that much more special.”

Another of the more notable meetings came when the Longhorns knocked off the Fighting Irish, 21-17, in the Cotton Bowl to cap their 1969 National Championship season. That was Notre Dame’s first bowl since 1925. Despite a long stretch of not playing in bowl games for the Fighting Irish, the teams have still combined for 44 all-time bowl victories.

It pisses me off. I dont care that they play Sunday instead of Saturday....I wanted the game with a 2PM kick off.I wanted our fast pace....and huge fast backs and rocket ship WR's to just have ND panting and wheezing by the middle of the first quarter. You know it will be 100 degrees that day as it is every Sept 4th in Austin. Now it will be down to 95 and they may not gas out until the end of the first quarter.

It wont be a shock, but I am calling my shot and saying we are winning by 10 pts....

Here is what I don't like about it. The odds of us beating Notre Dame are slim, but with the loss of a full day's practice the odds of beating UTEP have just....Never mind, it's UTEP.

Good I like the spotlight, should give the aggsy something else to grind their teeth over.

Here is what I don't like about it. The odds of us beating Notre Dame are slim, but with the loss of a full day's practice the odds of beating UTEP have just....Never mind, it's UTEP.

Good I like the spotlight, should give the aggsy something else to grind their teeth over.

Cause people like you make it slim!

Hook'em

Reactions: oldhorn2
Looks like ND could lose Corey Robinson and they lost Grant Blankenship didn't play much last season but its depth gone unless they have more. Robinson is there most returning experience receiver right now. So that would leave Torii Hunter Jr as the only returning experience receiver.

Looks like ND could lose Corey Robinson and they lost Grant Blankenship didn't play much last season but its depth gone unless they have more. Robinson is there most returning experience receiver right now. So that would leave Torii Hunter Jr as the only returning experience receiver.

This is true. Though it's still unclear if Robinson will return or not.

However, Robinson is likely to be passed on the depth chart either way, and his role was declining even last year
(We've really recruited WR well)

We're expecting for Torri Hunter, Equamineois St. Brown, Cory Holmes, Myles Boykin, and CJ Sanders (plus Frosh) to be most of the WR rotation
Plus, we'll make heavy use of TE

This loss should t seriously affect our passing game or WR core

Im as worried about losing Blankenship at De as I am Robinaon at WR (long term), though I will miss having The Admiral at games

Everyone knows The Admiral was David Robinson....you cant recycle greatness.

Decker...how are your guys expecting to hold up in the heat?....Even with a 6 or 7 PM kickoff, it will be much hotter than your guys are used to. I am not being a smartass...I seriously am curious.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
With a 7pm Kickoff, I doubt tempature will be a major factor.

The average low/high tempature range for Austin August is 75-95 degrees, while the average range in South Bend is 65-85 degrees, so it's not the ocean of difference you might think.
(According to US Climate Data)

Additionally, with a 7pm kickoff, you have to think that most of the game will be played much closer to the daily low temp than the high. I'm expecting most of the game to be around 80-85 degrees.

That type of tempature really wouldn't be outside the range that ND practices in during summer and fall camp.

Not to mention that about half of the ND roster is actually from the South East, Texas, etc. and is pretty used to that type of heat

With a 7pm Kickoff, I doubt tempature will be a major factor.

The average low/high tempature range for Austin August is 75-95 degrees, while the average range in South Bend is 65-85 degrees, so it's not the ocean of difference you might think.
(According to US Climate Data)

Additionally, with a 7pm kickoff, you have to think that most of the game will be played much closer to the daily low temp than the high. I'm expecting most of the game to be around 80-85 degrees.

That type of tempature really wouldn't be outside the range that ND practices in during summer and fall camp.

Have you been to Texas in August or Sept? That low is usually recorded right be for the sun comes up. If the high gets up to 99-100 it will still be in the mid to upper 90's until 10:30-11PM. We also play on artificial turf in a stadium so the on the field temp will be considerably warmer.

I strength coach at a college in Indianapolis and I coached high school ball in Texas. The year I was in Indy it didn't get above 82 degrees during 2 a days. In Texas we are in the 80's as soon as the sun comes up.

Reactions: oldhorn2
shhhhh speedstrength....dont tell em....Let em think it will be nice and cool out. Dont let on the Sept is the hottest month of the year.

Have you been to Texas in August or Sept? That low is usually recorded right be for the sun comes up. If the high gets up to 99-100 it will still be in the mid to upper 90's until 10:30-11PM. We also play on artificial turf in a stadium so the on the field temp will be considerably warmer.

I strength coach at a college in Indianapolis and I coached high school ball in Texas. The year I was in Indy it didn't get above 82 degrees during 2 a days. In Texas we are in the 80's as soon as the sun comes up.

Again, I'm not saying it won't be hot.

But according to actual weather data, 100 degrees as a high would be above average for Austin in both August and September.
And once the sun sets, the tempature will go down....that's just how it works in every single part of the world.

Not saying it won't be hot, but acting like 8pm in Texas is going to be some other worldly type of heat compared to 3pm in Indiana (during the summer) just isn't supported by the actual data.

I'm all likelihood we'll see most of the game played in the 80s, which isn't unusual at all for Indiana (as you mentioned yourself)

And again, about half of NDs roster is actually from the south...so this is nothing new to them

There is no way to say his with much certainty until we know what the actual weather will be for game day, which won't be until a couple days out.

But if things are "average" I don't expect the tempature to be a major factor

The real key is that the field will be absorbing that heat all day and even when the sun goes down that field is still going to be hot. By all accounts this is going to be one hot summer.

Being used to heat is a far cry from being conditioned in heat. I guarantee it will take a toll on those Domers. I also bet that temps at kickoff will be lots closer to 90 than many realize.....

If you are going by data....most dont realize that Mc Allen Tex has the higest mean temp on the face of the earth. ..ok Austin is way north of there, but the fact remains...it will be hotter than anything those domers are used to.

Being used to heat is a far cry from being conditioned in heat. I guarantee it will take a toll on those Domers. I also bet that temps at kickoff will be lots closer to 90 than many realize.....

If you are going by data....most dont realize that Mc Allen Tex has the higest mean temp on the face of the earth. ..ok Austin is way north of there, but the fact remains...it will be hotter than anything those domers are used to.

Even you're saying that you're expecting most of the game to be played in the 80's
The reality is, ND is well accustomed to temps in the 80s

If the temperature sticks with the averages for Austin, it's just not likely to be hot enough at 8pm and 9pm (and later) to seriously affect the game

However, this whole conversation is academic until we know the actual forecast for game day

oh...I dont think it will effect the game one bit. I am just making conversation. I do bet that on the plane home, however the game comes out that more than one player is gonna say...man! It was hot out there!

Again, I'm not saying it won't be hot.

But according to actual weather data, 100 degrees as a high would be above average for Austin in both August and September.
And once the sun sets, the tempature will go down....that's just how it works in every single part of the world.

Not saying it won't be hot, but acting like 8pm in Texas is going to be some other worldly type of heat compared to 3pm in Indiana (during the summer) just isn't supported by the actual data.

I'm all likelihood we'll see most of the game played in the 80s, which isn't unusual at all for Indiana (as you mentioned yourself)

And again, about half of NDs roster is actually from the south...so this is nothing new to them

There is no way to say his with much certainty until we know what the actual weather will be for game day, which won't be until a couple days out.

But if things are "average" I don't expect the tempature to be a major factor

Trust me we get 100 degree days in Austin and September. Last year there were five 100 degree days in Austin, Hell there was a 99 degree day in October. I have played and coached plenty of football in this state. If it gets anywhere north of 95 degrees it will be at least 100 on the field at 7PM and it will stay in the 90's on the field for most of that game. In order for it to be in the 80's at kickoff it would have to be low 90's for a high with a north wind over 20 mph and really low humidity.

When I was in Indy most of the time we practiced in the mid to upper 70's during 2 a days because we were going morning and night with film and weights during the "heat" of the day. We played most of our games at night so it was in the upper 70s at kickoff. There will be a huge difference in the temps at game time. Expect it to be hot. At least 15-20 degrees over the temps that ND usually practices in and expect ND to go through 10-15 liters of IV during that game.

Just for some historical perspective on Sept 4th at Bergstrom

2015 100 degrees
2014 99 degrees
2013 102 degrees
2012 103 degrees
2011 102 degrees
2010 92 degrees rain
2009 95 degrees
2008 95 degrees
2007 83 degrees rain
2006 93 degrees
2005 98 degrees
2004 96 degrees
2003 96 degrees
2002 97 degrees
2001 91 degrees
2000 109 degrees (111 on the 5th)

It will be quite a bit hotter on the field. 100 degree day temp on that turf field could get up 115-120

Trust me we get 100 degree days in Austin and September. Last year there were five 100 degree days in Austin, Hell there was a 99 degree day in October. I have played and coached plenty of football in this state. If it gets anywhere north of 95 degrees it will be at least 100 on the field at 7PM and it will stay in the 90's on the field for most of that game. In order for it to be in the 80's at kickoff it would have to be low 90's for a high with a north wind over 20 mph and really low humidity.

When I was in Indy most of the time we practiced in the mid to upper 70's during 2 a days because we were going morning and night with film and weights during the "heat" of the day. We played most of our games at night so it was in the upper 70s at kickoff. There will be a huge difference in the temps at game time. Expect it to be hot. At least 15-20 degrees over the temps that ND usually practices in and expect ND to go through 10-15 liters of IV during that game.

Sure, those temperatures absolutely happen.....but again, according to widely accepted data....they're not actually the norm in Austin for that time of the year

If the temp is in the 90's (the norm) then the field temp will likely be around that or lower for most of the game

Temps in the 80's and 90's aren't something that ND is unaccustomed to (because not all team actively practice in morning/evenings to avoid the temperature)

This game will likely be our hottest game of the year.....but given the night-time kickoff....I seriously doubt that the temperature is going to have a major impact on the game

But again, all of this is 100% academic at this point.....since we have no idea what the weather will actually be for game day.
For all we know it could be raining and the high for the day could be in the 70s......or it could be the hottest day on record with a high of 120

Basically, the average temps shouldn't have a serious adverse impact on ND during the night game.....and what the weather actually will be is anyone's guess

Sure, those temperatures absolutely happen.....but again, according to widely accepted data....they're not actually the norm in Austin for that time of the year

If the temp is in the 90's (the norm) then the field temp will likely be around that or lower for most of the game

Temps in the 80's and 90's aren't something that ND is unaccustomed to (because not all team actively practice in morning/evenings to avoid the temperature)

This game will likely be our hottest game of the year.....but given the night-time kickoff....I seriously doubt that the temperature is going to have a major impact on the game

But again, all of this is 100% academic at this point.....since we have no idea what the weather will actually be for game day.
For all we know it could be raining and the high for the day could be in the 70s......or it could be the hottest day on record with a high of 120

Basically, the average temps shouldn't have a serious adverse impact on ND during the night game.....and what the weather actually will be is anyone's guess

I am willing to bet a football player ND may practice in 90+ degree weather less than 10 times in their 4 year career and will only play in it if they have a road game in the south in Sept. I am currenlty a professor at a D2 school in South Texas. Our soccer and tennis programs bring in a bunch of kids from Europe. Those kids really struggle to acclimate their first few weeks on campus. I seriously doubt most of those kids are accustomed to the temp. Shoot I spent 1 year in Chicago and 1 year in Indy then moved home in May. That summer sucked and I struggled to get used to the heat again.

Ive lived in San Antonio and Austin for 37 out of my 39 years. I been involved with football in some for or fashion for 17 or those 37 years. I coached at one of the first schools to put in field turf in the Austin area. We didn't practice on it after school in August and September. It felt like your shoes were melting. We had on field temps of over 100 for 7:30 kickoffs Friday nights all the way from 0 week to week 3. DKR is a different story. Holds on to heat much more.

More than likely it will be hot. 14 of the last 17 years it was 95+ and 2 of those years under 95 had rain. Trust me if its that hot during the day it will easily be 100 on the field at kickoff. So look at your big guys. How deep are you? How many guys can you rotate. What will happen if you have to send someone to the locker room for an IV? We are thin as hell and even though we will practice in the heat all summer we will have a few guys go back to get IVs during the game.

I am willing to bet a football player ND may practice in 90+ degree weather less than 10 times in their 4 year career and will only play in it if they have a road game in the south in Sept. I am currenlty a professor at a D2 school in South Texas. Our soccer and tennis programs bring in a bunch of kids from Europe. Those kids really struggle to acclimate their first few weeks on campus. I seriously doubt most of those kids are accustomed to the temp. Shoot I spent 1 year in Chicago and 1 year in Indy then moved home in May. That summer sucked and I struggled to get used to the heat again.

Ive lived in San Antonio and Austin for 37 out of my 39 years. I been involved with football in some for or fashion for 17 or those 37 years. I coached at one of the first schools to put in field turf in the Austin area. We didn't practice on it after school in August and September. It felt like your shoes were melting. We had on field temps of over 100 for 7:30 kickoffs Friday nights all the way from 0 week to week 3. DKR is a different story. Holds on to heat much more.

More than likely it will be hot. 14 of the last 17 years it was 95+ and 2 of those years under 95 had rain. Trust me if its that hot during the day it will easily be 100 on the field at kickoff. So look at your big guys. How deep are you? How many guys can you rotate. What will happen if you have to send someone to the locker room for an IV? We are thin as hell and even though we will practice in the heat all summer we will have a few guys go back to get IVs during the game.

Again, I think you're blowing this WAY out of proportion, and given the actual data (not anecdotal stories)

But if you want to discuss the impact that losing big men would have on ND......I'm always game.....

TE - We have 3 "co-starters" plus another player close to breaking into that group
OT - Would be very bad. There is a significant dropoff from out starting OTs to our #3. #3 is fine, but #1 and #2 are NFL prospects.
OG - Losing Nelson would hurt, because he's a game changer. Otherwise, we're 3-4 deep with our "next cut" of OGs
DT - We have 3-4 "co-starters" for the 2 DT spots currently. Rotating in depth hurts the pass rush more than the run defense
DE - Similar to DT, we have 3-4 "co-starters" for the 2 DE spots. Unfortunately, we have little depth beyond that.
LB - Depending on health, we could be 2-Deep at every LB position....but at the moment we're only 1 deep at 2/3

So it would depend which "big man" we would lose, and how long we would be losing them for

Decker.....you used to sound like a reasonable guy, but did you read SS's post? You consistantly point to what you call "widely accecpted data"...which you somehow claim as factual, but you ignored what he posted....THE LAST 15 YEARS of real, factual data.....15 years in a row! That is not a case of...."sure those temps happen'...it is a case of what historically happened. You need to re evaluate your source.

Anyway....as I said, I doubt it affects the game . Good luck to The Irish. They will be treated well...(the fans I mean) and you will enjoy the trip.

Decker.....you used to sound like a reasonable guy, but did you read SS's post? You consistantly point to what you call "widely accecpted data"...which you somehow claim as factual, but you ignored what he posted....THE LAST 15 YEARS of real, factual data.....15 years in a row! That is not a case of...."sure those temps happen'...it is a case of what historically happened. You need to re evaluate your source.

Anyway....as I said, I doubt it affects the game . Good luck to The Irish. They will be treated well...(the fans I mean) and you will enjoy the trip.

I don't know how basing a comment on factually verifiable numbers makes me less reasonable

If you take the average of the numbers that SpeedStrength posted, you'd see they come to 96 degrees.....exactly as I've been saying
(mid 90's is the norm.....not 100+)

If you want to see where I was getting my data:
http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/austin/texas/united-states/ustx2742

If you look at that, you'll see that ~95 degrees is the average for Austin in August and ~90 degrees is the average in September
(again, what I was saying)

I'm not denying that it will be hot for this game, I'm just saying that based on actual data.....it's unlikely to be well outside the range ND football experiences by 7-11pm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT