ADVERTISEMENT

Verne Lundquist and Brent Musberger have stepped down

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
I did not see the Verne Lundquist tribute until just a few minutes ago. It was touching. I'm old enough to remember him when he was a sportscaster in Dallas who worked his way up to the booth at CBS when they started doing SEC games 20 years ago. I thought he was an outstanding play by play man. But my best memory of VL was when he called Christian Laettner's miracle shot against Kentucky. As far as I'm concerned he deserves his accolades.

Brent Musberger will officially step down next week. He wasn't the easiest person to like I'll give you that. But his college football was very good. When it comes to play by play in college fb there was only one Keith Jackson, but Musberger was solid. He had his faults but as far as play by play go he's still a lot better than Chris Fowler.

Reactions: westx
Musberger sucked. He was continually biased. His favorite team was whoever was playing Texas. Good ridance

Musberger sucked. He was continually biased. His favorite team was whoever was playing Texas. Good ridance

lol wtf are you talking about? he was iconic and seemed even between giving credit to powerhouses and cheering on upset squads.

plus, "he's going for the cornerrrrr... he's got it!"

Sorry, but Brent Musburger was a sorry sorry excuse for a sports caster.. When the NBA draft was televised ....mainly to see which team would get the right to draft David Robinson Musburger was the MC. When San Antonio drew the lucky ball Musburger ( the sorry bastard) could not contain himself. He loudly exclaimed " San Antonio? He will never go there!"

A good sportscaster is supposed to describe the action in an unbiased manner. He failed miserably at that task.I will rank who that POS unashamedly would openly root for in his broadcasts in the following order:

1....any team from New York

2....any team from the midwest

3...any team that was playing Texas

Get the idea I dont like him? I dont think I have to be any more fair minded than he was.

I actually liked Musberger but like him or not you have to admit that he was the "A" team and used to call the RRS back when it was considered a big game by everyone. I would definitely prefer him over Fowler like someone mentioned above.

yeah...he used to call the RRS and he came dressed in Red....see # 3 above

Sorry, but Brent Musburger was a sorry sorry excuse for a sports caster.. When the NBA draft was televised ....mainly to see which team would get the right to draft David Robinson Musburger was the MC. When San Antonio drew the lucky ball Musburger ( the sorry bastard) could not contain himself. He loudly exclaimed " San Antonio? He will never go there!"

A good sportscaster is supposed to describe the action in an unbiased manner. He failed miserably at that task.I will rank who that POS unashamedly would openly root for in his broadcasts in the following order:

Get the idea I dont like him? I dont think I have to be any more fair minded than he was.

dude, he was a ****ing sportscaster. get a grip.

I know. But ESPN has lost Brad Nessler(replacing Vern) Mike Tirco and now Musburger. Not to mention drastically reducing Berrmans role. Clearly cutting cost big time

It's time for Berman to go. He was funny at first when he said things like "Rafael Emerson, Lake, and Palmero" but the act got old and he never stopped. And he was an annoying NFL cheerleader.

A little off topic but speaking of broadcasters, I think Mack Brown has done a pretty good job announcing games.

Reactions: soonerdave
A little off topic but speaking of broadcasters, I think Mack Brown has done a pretty good job announcing games.
I like Mack, he does a nice job overall. Sometimes his attempts at humor during the broadcasts wears a little thing, but he's pretty solid. Crazy to say from a Sooner alum, but I have to give props where it's due. Craig Way is about the best PBP radio announcer I've heard. If it's the same guy, I really took notice listening to him call the Rose Bowl game against Michigan back in '05, and have listened several times since on games when driving.

I like Mack, he does a nice job overall. Sometimes his attempts at humor during the broadcasts wears a little thing, but he's pretty solid. Crazy to say from a Sooner alum, but I have to give props where it's due. Craig Way is about the best PBP radio announcer I've heard. If it's the same guy, I really took notice listening to him call the Rose Bowl game against Michigan back in '05, and have listened several times since on games when driving.

Hey in 1984 Mack was one of yours. Mack speaks too many cliches for my liking. I sometimes feel he is the ESPN/Gameday's token Big XII guy. Ever noticed how many people on Gameday went to SEC and Big X schools? Are there any Pac XII guys on there? Not that I know of. Sorry, I didn't mean to digress.

As far as sports announcers go, my favorites are Curt Gowdy, John Facenda, Vin Scully, Pat Summerall, John Madden, Jon Gruden, the MNF trio of Gifford/Cosell/Meredith, Jack Buck, Joe Garagiola/Tony Kubek, Mike Tirico, Harry Kalas, Craig Way, Keith Jackson, Al McGuire, Gene Peterson, and Dick Stockton.

My least favorites are Cris Collinsworth, Joe Buck, Phil Simms, Harry Caray, Pam Ward, Beth Mowins, Bob Costas, Joe Theismann, Dan Dierdorf, Mike Mayock, Dave South, and Eli Gold.

Reactions: oldhorn2
As far as sports announcers go, my favorites are Curt Gowdy, John Facenda, Vin Scully, Pat Summerall, John Madden, Jon Gruden, the MNF trio of Gifford/Cosell/Meredith, Jack Buck, Joe Garagiola/Tony Kubek, Mike Tirico, Harry Kalas, Craig Way, Keith Jackson, Al McGuire, Gene Peterson, and Dick Stockton.

My least favorites are Cris Collinsworth, Joe Buck, Phil Simms, Harry Caray, Pam Ward, Beth Mowins, Bob Costas, Joe Theismann, Dan Dierdorf, Mike Mayock, Dave South, and Eli Gold.
I like Collinsworth much more than I used to, but he's still not one I'd consider a favorite. Of your favorites for the pros, I have to go with Gowdy, Scully, Summerall, and the MNF trio.

John Facenda "the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field"
Howard Cosell totally self absorbed but always entertaining. A voice that will never be duplicated. "Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!".
Harry Kalas "and that ball is in Astro orbit"
Craig Way "Justin Tucker's kick is gooooodddd and one last time the Texas Longhorns have broken the hearts of the aggies"
Keith Jackson the best college fb play by play announcer of all time. Period. Speaking for myself I don't know if anyone will ever match him. "Whoa Nellie" "Fumble!" "The big uglies" For me it was fitting that the last game Keith Jackson did on tv was our nc win over Southern Cal.

I agree with you on the guys you don't like but as long as he isn't talking about the Yankees Costas is ok. Harry Caray was an acquired taste you either liked him or hated him. Joe Theismann was in love with himself which is a good thing because nobody else could stand him.

As far as the NBA goes I like Mike Breen but that's about it. However I think Doris Burke is the best female sideline reporter I've ever seen regardless of sport. Even Greg Popovich is nice to her.

In the college game I'm keeping an eye on Joe Tessitore and Gus Johnson and their play by play partners.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM

ok oldhorn2 now tell us how you really feel about Musberger :)

MM says he no like Harey Carey........

Cue the Will Ferrel clip......"Hey! What if the moon was made of cheese......"

seems kind of a harsh remark considering we are just talking about a guy that talks about ball placement and tells mascot stories

lost my damned mind?...my,my

I suppose if you like announcers who scream their way through a broadcast, Gus is your man.

I wouldn't necessarily call him a screamer. Gus Johnson can pull you in and makes you want to listen. And if he's doing a really exciting game, (TCU/OK in 2014) he's outstanding. He comes up with some cool phrases.

I wouldn't necessarily call him a screamer. Gus Johnson can pull you in and makes you want to listen. And if he's doing a really exciting game, (TCU/OK in 2014) he's outstanding. He comes up with some cool phrases.
I guess I just have sensitive ears then, because that guy sure does frequently raise his voice to the point it's just unbearable. And it's not like it's with very meaningful games, or even plays in the game. And those phrases to which you refer?? AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Just shoot me now, I just can't take his attempt at humor. I guess it just comes across to me as him trying a bit too hard to 1) make the game more interesting than it is or possibly could be, and 2) make us think he's some all-knowing, hip football announcer.

I guess I just have sensitive ears then, because that guy sure does frequently raise his voice to the point it's just unbearable. And it's not like it's with very meaningful games, or even plays in the game. And those phrases to which you refer?? AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Just shoot me now, I just can't take his attempt at humor. I guess it just comes across to me as him trying a bit too hard to 1) make the game more interesting than it is or possibly could be, and 2) make us think he's some all-knowing, hip football announcer.

Well he's not to loud for me but then again I'm completely deaf in one ear. :)
Seriously.

And if Johnson or Joe Tessitore had done the Clemson/Bama game they would have been talking about them. I just can't take Chris Fowler. His voice has all the charisma of a pepperoni pizza.

Reactions: soonerdave
speaking of good lines from sports casters....the best I ever heard was from Beano Cook describing a quarterback....Beano said..".this guy is almost as good as Joe Theisman thought He was"

Last edited:
Reactions: Godz40Acrez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT