ADVERTISEMENT

What do you think of a 3 headed qb this year?

Tempo is really going to help out. If you are snapping the ball less than 8 seconds after it is set the defense doesn't have time to dial up exotic schemes and if the ball is on the has its almost impossible to disguise the coverage. Most of the time a D will check to a predetermined scheme. Gives the QB clean presnap reads. My fear is that our up tempo offense will sputter leaving our D on the field for a long time on a hot summer night.

I get your point. But I also see plenty of contradictions.

Get up early, and hold the lead is a formula that is the plan for every team that is the underdog.

But you rightly say that ND is strong on O and has weakness on D....yet you then say UT shouldn't attack the weak D. So UTs only hope is to hold a lead and stop a great O and pray that they don't have to go after a questionable D. Really???

This idea is basically what the plan was vs an early home game vs Cal last year. Also a team with a great O and questionable D. And we were starting a QB in his first start. And instead it turned in to a wild shoot out that we were right in. Thanks to a missed XP we lost.

Don't get me wrong. Its always a strategy to score more than the other guy and hold them to less pts. But as teams get more spread out. The TT strategy of just making it a pin ball game and seeing who turns it over less.....well that works for an upset to. I don't think that is what the staff will do.

I think we need to be balanced with the ball on O. Can't be super conservative and just go 3 and out because we don't bother to pass (see ND game last year).....praying that our D saves us (see ND game last year). We need to be aggressive and challenge ND short and deep and with the pass and run and be careful with the ball. And get some turnovers on D.

What I meant was make sure you get something out of every possession, even if you punt. If both teams have the ball 12-15 times ND wins. If both teams have the ball 7-8 times anything can happen. So controlling the ball limits each team's chances, which favors Texas.

Tempo is really going to help out. If you are snapping the ball less than 8 seconds after it is set the defense doesn't have time to dial up exotic schemes and if the ball is on the has its almost impossible to disguise the coverage. Most of the time a D will check to a predetermined scheme. Gives the QB clean presnap reads. My fear is that our up tempo offense will sputter leaving our D on the field for a long time on a hot summer night.

That's my biggest complaint of Kelly. Sometimes he likes the uptempo passing game a little too much. Especially in the red zone. Between the 20's ND was top 5 nationally, in the red zone outside the top 100.

That's my biggest complaint of Kelly. Sometimes he likes the uptempo passing game a little too much. Especially in the red zone. Between the 20's ND was top 5 nationally, in the red zone outside the top 100.

Were you guys that bad I can't believe that. I haven't followed ND closely this spring. What are Malik Zaire chances of playing again? Is former Spur David Robinson's son still on the team? Who are your ACC opponents this year?

After I posted about Corey I decide to look him up myself. I read that just a few days ago he retired because of concussions. Damn sorry that happened to Corey. Would have been a senior this year. I saw him against FSU a couple of years showed a lot of promise, but it's the best thing for him to retire.

Last edited:
Swoopes biggest problems is accuracy and decision making. The know offense should help the decision making but the accuracy issues continue to haunt him. Heard is more accurate but tends to hold on to the ball too long and tries to make plays with his feet. The new offense should help him out since you throw to your first read most of the time. Haven't seen him in the offense so can't really tell. Shane looked really good, make quick decisions, got the ball out quickly and accurately and is enough of an athlete to keep a defense honest on the option game.

Yup! when the D starts closing in he feaks and can't make the right decision and goes all bat-shit...agree with he is not a passer , never was, never gonna be
running down field he reminds me of a St Bernard runnin, just a lumbering run with his tongue drooping out, you seen how a big dog runs, he's not that fast.... just lumbering along fast as he can.....

Hook'em

Were you guys that bad I can't believe that. I haven't followed ND closely this spring. What are Malik Zaire chances of playing again? Is former Spur David Robinson's son still on the team? Who are your ACC opponents this year?

After I posted about Corey I decide to look him up myself. I read that just a few days ago he retired because of concussions. Damn sorry that happened to Corey. Would have been a senior this year. I saw him against FSU a couple of years showed a lot of promise, but it's the best thing for him to retire.

Not quite..........but pretty close

We were 79th in Red-Zone TD% and 88th in Red-Zone Scoring %

Buechele is the best QB. Was told Swoopes is probably third after Heard in terms of how he performs in 7 on 7. Was also told Swoopes is still holding on to the ball…”even in 1 on 1s he holds on to the ball”. Source also added, “In 7 on 7 a wide receiver will be open but he (Swoopes) just keeps patting the ball until the DB catches up to the receiver”.

I was told that Buechele knows he can win the spot. He’s taken a leadership role especially among the freshmen. Source said,”He’s vocal…you can tell he can taste it and he wants it. Sterlin takes the most interest in him but you can also tell Sterlin is going to keep holding that carrot out in front of him to make sure he continues to compete.”

What I meant was make sure you get something out of every possession, even if you punt. If both teams have the ball 12-15 times ND wins. If both teams have the ball 7-8 times anything can happen. So controlling the ball limits each team's chances, which favors Texas.

That makes little sense.

This game is strength (ND O) vs strength (UT D) and weakness (ND D) vs weakness (UT O). It isn't some guarantee that either team will score with more frequency than the other.

Buechele is the best QB. Was told Swoopes is probably third after Heard in terms of how he performs in 7 on 7. Was also told Swoopes is still holding on to the ball…”even in 1 on 1s he holds on to the ball”. Source also added, “In 7 on 7 a wide receiver will be open but he (Swoopes) just keeps patting the ball until the DB catches up to the receiver”.

I was told that Buechele knows he can win the spot. He’s taken a leadership role especially among the freshmen. Source said,”He’s vocal…you can tell he can taste it and he wants it. Sterlin takes the most interest in him but you can also tell Sterlin is going to keep holding that carrot out in front of him to make sure he continues to compete.”
I am still really pulling for Heard to get up to his recruiting hype. Mainly because Buchelle is not a big frame kid and injury is probable. We need Heard to come in and perform

That makes little sense.

This game is strength (ND O) vs strength (UT D) and weakness (ND D) vs weakness (UT O). It isn't some guarantee that either team will score with more frequency than the other.

Do you think the Texas D is a strength nationally? Or just for the team? I know they finished 87th in scoring last year. I though ND was bad & they were 39th.

Do you think the Texas D is a strength nationally? Or just for the team? I know they finished 87th in scoring last year. I though ND was bad & they were 39th.

You need to look at after all the freshmen took over and splits to see the potential. Continuous 3 and outs put them all on the field way too long. First half and after midway thru the 3rd quarter the stats are night and day different. Things will still be thin this year.

You may have rooted for Texas after the game, but it doesn't sound like you actually watched any of the games.

Reactions: Scholz
Never in the history of University of Texas football has a true freshman started our opening game.

We aren't into fall camp yet but I'm betting that trend continues. I don't see charlie throwing a fish out there on the first series. ND will come in here ranked in the top 10. You could ruin Shane's career before it ever starts if you're not careful.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
You may have rooted for Texas after the game, but it doesn't sound like you actually watched any of the games.

First game will be a good indicator for both teams. ND's offense will be better than last year, so the Texas D will have their chance to show the entire country their ability.

Good grief. I was quoting you from earlier in this thread.

Look. Here's the rub. UT is the underdog. So anything they can do to sway the game in their favor is the plan.

The plan is not going to be to only hand it off and stick with a few short passes here and there. That lost us the game last year. Big time.

With our new O, we have to challenge the opponents D. Sure if we can limit NDs chances on O that is good. But I don't care if we start a FR or Swoopes. The frosh is arguably already a more talented passer than Swoopes ever was or ever will be. In order to beat ND, we have to outscore them. No way we do that by giving up on the passing game. Simple as that.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Never in the history of University of Texas football has a true freshman started our opening game.

We aren't into fall camp yet but I'm betting that trend continues. I don't see charlie throwing a fish out there on the first series. ND will come in here ranked in the top 10. You could ruin Shane's career before it ever starts if you're not careful.

Not to worry , we have Swoopes to beat ND...Ha! Ha!....

Hook'em

Good grief. I was quoting you from earlier in this thread.

Look. Here's the rub. UT is the underdog. So anything they can do to sway the game in their favor is the plan.

The plan is not going to be to only hand it off and stick with a few short passes here and there. That lost us the game last year. Big time.

With our new O, we have to challenge the opponents D. Sure if we can limit NDs chances on O that is good. But I don't care if we start a FR or Swoopes. The frosh is arguably already a more talented passer than Swoopes ever was or ever will be. In order to beat ND, we have to outscore them. No way we do that by giving up on the passing game. Simple as that.

All i was asking was if you thought they will be good, or just better? I think there is a differing opinion among Texas fans on whether the D will be good (nationally) or just better than last year (which of course they will). There is a big difference.

Until I see the Dline in action, I'll go with improved. If they penetrate and don't get stood up. They'll be good.

Depends on what you consider nationally good. Top10? No. Top 25? Yes.

If you believe in adjusted stats, then Texas D was 44th in '15 and ND was 37th. Texas' D was supported by the 80th offense and ND by the #9 offense. A merely competent top 50 offense should get the Texas D around 25th. http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
Its going to be hard to compare stats. Last year Baylor ran 85 plays a game but they only possessed the ball a 27:51 minutes per game. Tulsa ran 83 plays a game and held onto the ball for 27:44 a game. This is not ball control offense this is outscore the other team offense. Our D will be on the field more than the offense will and they will give up yards but if the offense clicks all you need is one more stop than the other team to win. Although any improvement in offense will be a big help. Last year we ran 65 plays a game and possessed the ball for 27:07 minutes per game.

Last edited:
Depends on what you consider nationally good. Top10? No. Top 25? Yes.

If you believe in adjusted stats, then Texas D was 44th in '15 and ND was 37th. Texas' D was supported by the 80th offense and ND by the #9 offense. A merely competent top 50 offense should get the Texas D around 25th. http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/

I would say top 25 is good. But I guess I don't see Texas being a top 25 defense? I say that because I read the Horns247 staff writers offseason preview & they were pretty down on the DLine. I don't remember the terminology they used, but it wasn't good.

We are fairly talented and deep at the Fox position and the Strong End position. Boyette Plays the 1 technique and is adequate. Ford plays the 3 technique and I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised with his development. After that we are looking at backups with no playing experience and some of those will be true freshman. These guys don't need to make plays, all they have to do is occupy lineman so are speedy LBs can rally to the ball.

Various thoughts:
  • Somehow, you've gotta have QB2 ready to go, and QB3 and so on. Think BU and Seth Russell, etc.
  • All the reps going to QB1 means you're relying on a single point of failure. Consider Colt's shoulder.
  • Multiple, very different QBs can give you a change of style that is difficult for opponents to prepare for. You can make them prepare for both, and yet not always play QB2 much. Enough to worry about, but be unpredictable.
  • Some of the stress of using QB2 goes on his own offense. The OL may have to block differently. Different touch on the ball for receivers. Favorite routes. Different handoff heights, attention to detail, etc. Those differences are especially true if there's a handedness difference, or a major difference in athleticism. Major Applewhite (R) vs. Chris Simms (L). Vince Young vs. anyone.
  • Playing QB2 when the game is undecided puts his tendencies on film. Mop up duty, not so much. You can win games early, but end up losing later in the season, due to revealing your hand.
  • There are also recruiting impacts, and whether a kid stays or transfers, to consider.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT