ADVERTISEMENT

Whats up MM?

I think you're wrong to group Akers in with those guys. He was 86-31. The other guys were a little over .500 or in strongs case less. Akers bowl record and lack of COnference titles does work against him.
You are right, Akers was better than the guys I lumped him in with.

Just out of curiosity how do you know it was pretend? Charlie didn't win and I'm no apologist but what did he do to show you his values were pretend?
Urban Myer had the same core values code at Florida, while Hernandez was doing drive by shootings, Percy Garvin was beating up coaches at practice, and Charlie Strong was an assistant coach.
I'm not saying Strong is less ethical than the average P5 coach, he is like most of the rest.
When Kris Boyd tweeted about transferring at halftime, and lived to tell about it - I knew the law and order stuff was for show. Kris came to Austin with multiple red flags.
Lagaryon Carson had HUGE flashing red signs (beyond grades). An angelic coach would have seen more than the freak athlete.
Again Charlie was not particularly bad, but he wasn't particularly good either.

Again Charlie was not particularly bad, but he wasn't particularly good either.

Bad at what? Again I ask when at Texas did he not hold his players to his core values? I must have missed where he let players rape, break the law and beat women? I truly remember him kicking off a few players. I get every coach probably has those same core values but not every coach abides by them. I know Charlie lost but while being the coach of The University of Texas I didn't see him do anything wreck less or allow his players to do anything that broke the core values he established.

Bad at what? Again I ask when at Texas did he not hold his players to his core values? I must have missed where he let players rape, break the law and beat women? I truly remember him kicking off a few players. I get every coach probably has those same core values but not every coach abides by them. I know Charlie lost but while being the coach of The University of Texas I didn't see him do anything wreck less or allow his players to do anything that broke the core values he established.
Other than rouge schools, and you play a couple annually - kicking a player off the team for rape or beating a women is not considered superior ethics. Charlie didn't allow rapists or women beaters, that is nothing to brag about. No coach at Texas will allow it, the administration would not let him. If Mack kept a rapist around, I can't remember it.

Mm42is simply talking out of his ass. He has no basis or facts on his side.....just say the same old crap over and over hoping someone...anyone starts to think it is true.

Mm42is simply talking out of his ass. He has no basis or facts on his side.....just say the same old crap over and over hoping someone...anyone starts to think it is true.

I can see that now! I keep asking for an example but not getting one is telling me he or she is just spewing garbage.

Other than rouge schools, and you play a couple annually - kicking a player off the team for rape or beating a women is not considered superior ethics. Charlie didn't allow rapists or women beaters, that is nothing to brag about. No coach at Texas will allow it, the administration would not let him. If Mack kept a rapist around, I can't remember it.

So his were pretend? He still held his players accountable and kicked off a few players and not all were accused of rape. Calling someone's values fake because maybe your coach doesn't hold theirs or another school ignores them doesn't mean Charlie did. They may all have the same but like I said not all actually use them. I can tell you he didn't ignore his core values just to get the W's because we all know that didn't happen!

At Texas I don't recall Strong doing anything questionable. The accusations of infidelity were something that followed him from Louisville and perhaps that's what mm42 is referring to?

The accusations of infidelity were something that followed him from Louisville and perhaps that's what mm42 is referring to?

No after reading all his or her post it was a generalization being made. Since his (Strong) core values were similar to Urban Meyer's they were just a pretend value.

Last edited:
We will give you locker number 12 , the one with th Glock and you don't have to go to class, just sit there and we will call ya for practice!, Oh yeah, don't miss the bus to practice!

Hook'em
FB you sound like you feel disenfranchised. If it will help, I'll allow you to bandwagon my team for 6 months or so until you get your legs back under you.

I am through with this as I said above..but, remember when we hired Strong we knew what he was like before hand, I do like the guy but, I guess right place but the wrong time

I been in the right place
But it must have been the wrong time
I'd have said the right thing
But I must have used the wrong line
I'd a took the right road
But I must have took a wrong turn
Would have made the right move
But I made it at the wrong time
I been on the right road
But I must have used the wrong car
My head was in a good place
And I wonder what it's bad for

Hook'em

FB you sound like you feel disenfranchised. If it will help, I'll allow you to bandwagon my team for 6 months or so until you get your legs back under you.

I will be ok , just venting, tired of seeing all this shit in the air, not winning, changing coaches every-time somebody farts, coaches that can't coach, kids that can't play, watching bowl games and Texas not there, health failing, want a NC before I go to Last Roundup but, looks bad for me..LOL! I will always stay with Texas and never stray to another shit team like yours Bell..all these OB coaches on here will just have to put up with my old ass, to me I guess there will only be one coach and that's DKR..funny ain't it all them years watching him kick the shit outa people and then come to this shit..getting too old for football politics I guess

Hook'em

Reactions: Belldozer1
I will be ok , just venting, tired of seeing all this shit in the air, not winning, changing coaches every-time somebody farts, coaches that can't coach, kids that can't play, watching bowl games and Texas not there, health failing, want a NC before I go to Last Roundup but, looks bad for me..LOL! I will always stay with Texas and never stray to another shit team like yours Bell..all these OB coaches on here will just have to put up with my old ass, to me I guess there will only be one coach and that's DKR..funny ain't it all them years watching him kick the shit outa people and then come to this shit..getting too old for football politics I guess

Hook'em

Well, DKR is dead and gone and obviously isn't coming back. Mack won and won big at Texas, which is what no other coach had done since DKR. Strong sure didn't get the job done and was one of the worst coaches in UT history. Saban, Meyer, Swinney, Harbaugh, etc weren't going to leave their current gigs to take the Texas job. Herman deserves a chance. He gives Texas a much better chance to win than Strong ever did.

Well, DKR is dead and gone and obviously isn't coming back. Mack won and won big at Texas, which is what no other coach had done since DKR. Strong sure didn't get the job done and was one of the worst coaches in UT history. Saban, Meyer, Swinney, Harbaugh, etc weren't going to leave their current gigs to take the Texas job. Herman deserves a chance. He gives Texas a much better chance to win than Strong ever did.

f5657ea6e8a5225a9c0c692817d5bf5c-micdrop07.gif

He sure won big at the end didn't he? Tell me MM since you a MB fan , why did he quit coaching and put our program in jeopardy when he had won all that stuff? He had DKR record in sight and just stopped it? All I can say about Strong anymore was the BOR knew how Strong was when they hired him, they asked Charlie , he didn't asked them..so we where misled by the BOR then I would say thus setup to fail falls into place, poor guy was a dead-man walking when he drove into Austin and didn't know it or maybe he did....hmmmmm!

Hook'em

He sure won big at the end didn't he? Tell me MM since you a MB fan , why did he quit coaching and put our program in jeopardy when he had won all that stuff? He had DKR record in sight and just stopped it? All I can say about Strong anymore was the BOR knew how Strong was when they hired him, they asked Charlie , he didn't asked them..so we where misled by the BOR then I would say thus setup to fail falls into place, poor guy was a dead-man walking when he drove into Austin and didn't know it or maybe he did....hmmmmm!

Hook'em

FBH who's record is this at the end of his career?

5–5–1 4–4 5th

Last edited:
I'm not claiming Herman is Saban 2.0, and I am not saying he will suck. No one knows for sure, even Tom Herman himself.

I am 95% sure Herman will land somewhere between Mack and Charlie. If Herman has a 10 year run like Mack did, you guys should be super excited. Texas has had 3 great coaches: Bible, Royal and Brown - and around 25 other meh coaches. They have had a ton of Strongs, McWilliams, Mackovics, Akers, and other forgettable guys. I just can not for the life of me understand why some of you guys hate Mack. The fact he isn't considered a legend in Austin is beyond me. He is comparable to Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel, Steve Spurrier, Lou Holtz or Phil Fulmer. He wasn't Nick Saban, Bobby Bowden, Urban Meyers, or Bear Bryant - but he was in the tier just below these guys. He was really, really good.

Whereas Charlie's teams scored 7 points and netted 59 yards of offense in bowls over his 3 years. He was historically bad. He was producing Iowa State results with Texas resources.
I was dumb enough to think he would hang around another year, due to PC BS. Boy was I disappointed.

I'd take a Fred Akers type tenure from Tom Herman. I certainly wouldn't put Akers with McWilliams, or Strong...that is for sure.

10 year run at Texas

86-31-2
2 Conference Titles
2 National Title "appearances" ('77 & '83)
4 Top 10 finishes
3 Top 5 finishes

His downfall was a 2-7 Bowl record and a stagnant program the last three years

FBH, you can't be helped if you truly believe Strong would still be gone if the team had shown actual improvement this year. And yes, winning out of the gate when he got here was hurt by the lack of talent in the upper classes and players needing to be dismissed. But it is so far beyond no longer Mack's fault for us to lose to Kansas in year 3 and then seemingly give up against TCU when every report said Strong's job could be saved.

I understand you want to see us win and there's frustration involved, but you lost me when you started complaining about us looking to make facility upgrades, as if:

1. Alabama doesn't have waterfalls in their hydrotherapy room, the players live in tents and are forced to lift triangular weights from the 1920s.

2. The UT players and coaches will be stopping all off-season work to do the construction on these facility upgrades, thus taking time away from improving on the field.

What is your end game here? What do you want to happen? Because you're complaining about how Strong was treated unfairly, but seem ready to start a petition to have Herman fired before winter workouts even start. I don't get it.

Hook'em

That he sure wasn't. Don't feel bad for a guy who got paid more than 25 million for 3 years work, doing a terrible job at it.

Tell me MM since you a MB fan , why did he quit coaching and put our program in jeopardy when he had won all that stuff? He had DKR record in sight and just stopped
Why does Granny sleep with her teeth in a glass by her bed - because she got old. Why did Tom Landry forget how to coach - he got old.
Mack got old, it happens to everyone but Saban.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Name the very best, the top elite guy kicked off the team at Texas by Strong. The guy that would take real courage to boot.

He culled some guys who could not play to open up the roster. The media made a life time movie of the week out of it, and many fell in love with the feel good story. Pint sized coach with rules made of stone and a heart of gold to the rescue. Still amazed some of his groupies never figured it out.

When Mack left the problem was the team was soft. It was not because he had a team full of gun toting, women beating, rapists. It was because the team was undisciplined and soft. Pretty much the same thing that got Strong fired. But that doesn't make Strong a bad guy. He isn't.

Last edited:
Name the very best, the top elite guy kicked off the team at Texas by Strong.
He culled some guys who could not play to open up the roster. The media made a life time movie of the week out of it, and many fell in love with the feel good story. Still amazed some of his groupies never figured it out.

Name one elite player on the team that deserved to be kicked off?

Reactions: swVAHorn
Name the very best, the top elite guy kicked off the team at Texas by Strong.
He culled some guys who could not play to open up the roster. The media made a life time movie of the week out of it, and many fell in love with the feel good story. Still amazed some of his groupies never figured it out.

Well, name the very best, the top elite guy that has clearly and repeatedly broken Strong's core values and is still on the team.

If Sumlin kicks a walk-on off the team for breaking into someone's apartment, should I automatically assume Myles Garrett did the same thing but Sumlin looked the other way?

And you're wrong, we lost some key players in that early purge. Several starters and rotational guys were let go.

Reactions: swVAHorn
Well, name the very best, the top elite guy that has clearly and repeatedly broken Strong's core values and is still on the team.

If Sumlin kicks a walk-on off the team for breaking into someone's apartment, should I automatically assume Myles Garrett did the same thing but Sumlin looked the other way?

And you're wrong, we lost some key players in that early purge. Several starters and rotational guys were let go.
1) It was a trick question, other than Foreman, Strong never brought in an elite player.

2) The walk-on would be thrown off the team asap. Guys who suck can not be a problem. Star players are protected, everywhere.

3) I am not wrong, you lost one borderline starting OL, and a bunch of scrubs. Hell, even Sumlin will step up and boot a scrub. Saban does it annually. It is not that heroic of an act.

Then name a player that should have been kicked off that was not kicked off? Period......? Or just shut up about it.
A real disciplinarian would have booted Kris Boyd for tweeting about transferring at halftime of a beat down. Not saying I would have booted one of my more talented guys, just that a supreme disciplinarian would have.
Hire him back if you want. Maybe he really is as morally superior as you guys think. I'll shut up about it though; as I will never convince you guys he was just another coach, and you will never convince me of his moral superiority.

A real disciplinarian would have booted Kris Boyd for tweeting about transferring at halftime of a beat down
Now that is a bunch of nonsense. And you were talking about "bad" kids getting booted not an immature kid being booted. 2 different things. You are just getting deeper and deeper when you should have just said you were wrong. He did not tweet he wanted to transfer either......he liked a tweet that suggested it. Don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story though.

I agree with you Strong sucked as a coach.....and I agree he was not special about his core values. Many coaches have them. he was held up like some kind of superstar about it which I thought was stupid. It was like they were trying to find something about him to hang their hat on or something. I wanted him gone and could not be happier Texas got Herman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT