RoboCocks21 posted on 2/17/2015...

Originally posted by swVAHorn:

RoboCocks21 posted on 2/17/2015...

Born
in Odessa, Texas grew up in Pecos, Texas my friend growing up was on
the 05 team. But moved to Grand Prairie, Texas for high school and
reside here now.

Hook Em

I was long gone from Pecos when you graduated. The Eagles....Lets go War Birds!!

I left Pecos in 99. When did you leave?

I
left in 85. Pecos will always be home. Small little town but I loved
it. I live in Virginia Tech country now. They are sort of like
aggy....not quite as bad but sort of. They built a case for their
"National Championship Trophy" back when Vick was in school....hasnt
worked out to well for them. LOL

This post was edited on 2/18 7:44 AM by swVAHorn
[/QUOTE]

Man
I was just born in 85 lol but I have tons of family there it's like the
whole town is almost related. Yes small town you left Pecos at a good
time you would of been depressed there during the 90's. Pecos has
changed alot now with the oil field going strong you probably wouldn't
recognize it. Every time I go back I feel like a tourist now. That's how
crazy Pecos has gotten because of the oil field. Have you been to Pecos
since you left? Don't forget Pecos is home of the world's first rodeo!
VT does sound like a cult lol you can't get away from them even moving
to another state lol

So
true about the cult...There were 11 pregnencies my senior year......you
may have been one? LOL... They called us the Pecos Padres for a while
that year...crazy. I have been to Pecos a few times since I left. I
was back there about 18 months ago. The town is tiny now. I noticed
the new oil wells all around Reeves county and near Pecos. I got a
brother who lives in Monahans now and a few more relatives in Odessa but
most of us are in Virginia now. I will always be a Texan! Have you
been to Pecos recently?

I wasn't part of that infamous group lol my mom graduated 75. She also grew up on the north side on the other side of the tracks. What year did you graduate? Its been awhile since you been back well there is a McDonald's now but its in the inside of a love's truck stop so its giving flying J a run for its money lol there are many hotels now but cant stay in any due to all the oil field workers. Pecos is also finally getting a decent grocery store they are building a HEB now. There are a couple of hot spots in Pecos now lol and I was just there in December for our family pot luck. My grandma lives in Barstow so I stay there and only go to town when I need too. The oil derricks are every where now my grandma has two beside her house now in Barstow. Yes there is Barstow, Texas just like Barstow, California for other readers lol

I graduated 85. Played football. Hurdles, sprint relay and the 200m in track and played basketball. Lucky enough to start both ways. Our team was good but not great. The rules changed and u had to pass to play. We lost 8 starters from a team that lost 1 game from 7th to 10th grade. Sweetwater won district and state out of our distrct. Their offensive coordinator was Art Briles, the head coach of Baylor. They were well coached.

We were 4a at the time. They have dropped to 2 or 3a now

They still have terrazzes (spell) Mexican food? Was the best. I went to MANY rodeos. The town trucks had a rider on a bronco. I don't know if they still do.

I lived my young years in pecos living at the air base apts. pretty much the slums. Very poor but made me be a hard worker. We moved from there to a house on willow st near sonic.

This post was edited on 2/18 8:26 PM by swVAHorn

Diadevec, my daughter goes to Stephen F Austin. She's in her fourth year and is majoring in Landscape Architecture.

Even when I was younger, I couldn't eat no 72 oz steak with all the trimmings. I could have starved myself for 48 hours and I still wouldn't be able to do it :)

Plus you only have an hour to eat everything.

One last thing about East TX. There is no place in TX more beautiful than East TX on the first weekend in April. Not just bluebonnets, but azaleas, and magnolia trees, and bluebirds are migrating there at that time of the year.

I'm trying to think of any family I know that graduated at that time. Do you know Bojack? He was a coach in Pecos. His son married my cousin. Sweetwater was good in the 90's as well. I hated going to their bowl and see them come from the top standing up in their red uniforms looking like they were ready to tear you up. Yeah pecos was 4a in the 90's also. They are now 3A well texas has changed their class rankings and added a 6a so pecos is now 4a again but which use to be 3a. And guess what sweetwater is in the district again and took it and went a few rounds deep this year. My 7th grade year in Pecos we went undefeated and tied Andrews we were the first class to do that since Andrews always spanked everyone. And 8th grade only lost 1 game and that was against Andrews those boys grew up to men over a year. The high school coaches would brag on us and the high school kids hated us and would try to beat us up at the swimming pool or would challenge us in football. Pecos hadn't had a class like mine go through junior high like that in awhile so they were excited to get us. But I left Pecos and moved going into high school but still kept in touch. And baseball is always good in Pecos still always making playoffs and winning district. Bubba williams had to be the coach when you were in high school. Wow by the hi way? Those roach infested apts I heard about? Living there would change a person to do better. And yes Terrazas is still there I'm good friends with Daniel and his grand parents own it and I think his older brother runs it now. Oh and Dq across the street got a facelift lol and that is still the symbol in Pecos the rodeo guy on the horse.

Robo i do know Bojack Hendricks!! He was my jr high coach! Tough as hell. Loved him. Coach Williams was the baseball coach and asst football coach when I was there. Coach whitehurst was head football coach when I was there. We beat Andrews every year except my senior year. We beat Sweetwater except for senior year. We lost good players to grades. At the time it made me mad but now I know it was for the better. Yes the apts on the interstate were bad but good people were there. The maint men would form teams for us to keep us busy.. Boxing was my first love then football etc. they didn't have to help us they just did. I learned sports there. Kept me straight (along with my family) The new gym was built my 8th grade so we were first to use it. It has been nice talking to somebody from Pecos....there ain't many of us! Lol

BoJack was a great man he talked loved my dad also and only could say good things about him. His son is a great guy as well great family man and takes care of my cousin. Crazy thing about Bubba williams is when I moved to Grand Prairie from Pecos it was my freshman year and we had to try out and nobody knew who I was and I was surprising a few coaches and asked me where I was from and I told them Pecos and they said oh is Bubba williams still the head the coach and in 99 he still was and I was like yes and they were like we have a ball player on our hands. So he had a good rep and knowing Pecos had some good ball players coming from a small town in Pecos. Well glad you guys took care of Andrews cause in the 90's they blew up in football and baseball and won state in both they even had a guy go play football for Alabama that guy could fly. Boxing was around when I grew up also had a couple of friends in golden gloves. The new gym as the one by the football field? You know Pecos has turf now right? And they also got a new scoreboard this year. You would be surprised to know Pecos people are everywhere just like you living in Virginia. May I ask your last name? My mom's maiden was Garcia and my last name is Fuentes. Both big families

Originally posted by californiahorn 4:
Diadevec, my daughter goes to Stephen F Austin. She's in her fourth year and is majoring in Landscape Architecture.

Even when I was younger, I couldn't eat no 72 oz steak with all the trimmings. I could have starved myself for 48 hours and I still wouldn't be able to do it :)

Plus you only have an hour to eat everything.

One last thing about East TX. There is no place in TX more beautiful than East TX on the first weekend in April. Not just bluebonnets, but azaleas, and magnolia trees, and bluebirds are migrating there at that time of the year.
My dad was a professor at Stephen F. years ago. Great school, great town. Ax'em Jacks!

Born in Cleveland, raised in Cleveland and Chicago. Played high school football in Ohio but
baseball at Northwestern. After my Cats -- it's the Buckeyes all the way.

I'm married (decades) to a sweet Texas gal from Galveston. She's a UT grad who lead me
to Longhorn football. One of my favorite trips is to Austin to watch Texas football. It's time to
WIN 'em all next year !

and, Go Cats !! and Hook 'em ! (for the wife plus me)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT