ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, There's a Camp Brisket at Texas A&M

REMEMBER! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 2 HOUR BRISKET! and when people are drunk and hungry they will say you cook the best stuff they have ever tasted in their life! The drunker they get the better it taste..then you are a 10 Star Brisket Cook!**********

Last edited:
I've heard of people putting mayo on corn on the cob. They swear that it tastes great. Some of the rub does come off of the brisket the more that you handle it and the more that you turn it on the grill.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
I've heard of people putting mayo on corn on the cob. They swear that it tastes great. Some of the rub does come off of the brisket the more that you handle it and the more that you turn it on the grill.

Like I said, I learned the technique from a pit master and when I tried it, it added nothing in the way of flavor but my rub stuck like glue to the meat.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Learned that technique from a pit master. I also laughed and then tried it. The Mayo is a an oil that adds nothing to the brisket except it helps the rub adhere to the meat. Try it before you laugh, it works very well.

Yes Master!

15znsdx.jpg

Learned that technique from a pit master. I also laughed and then tried it. The Mayo is a an oil that adds nothing to the brisket except it helps the rub adhere to the meat. Try it before you laugh, it works very well.

SoW is right. While I've never used mayo on my briskets I just might have to. Never thought of it before but let me tell you, I make my own mayonnaise every couple weeks. It's just an emulsion of olive oil, egg, salt and mustard powder with some lemon juice. None of those flavors, especially in the quantity needed to make mayo, are going to significantly impact the flavor of a smoked brisket. I can see the mayo being a great vehicle for keeping your rub close to the meat and as it melts away, basting your brisket with the oils.

SoW is right. While I've never used mayo on my briskets I just might have to. Never thought of it before but let me tell you, I make my own mayonnaise every couple weeks. It's just an emulsion of olive oil, egg, salt and mustard powder with some lemon juice. None of those flavors, especially in the quantity needed to make mayo, are going to significantly impact the flavor of a smoked brisket. I can see the mayo being a great vehicle for keeping your rub close to the meat and as it melts away, basting your brisket with the oils.

My technique is to spoon some mayo into a small cup, about a half cup is enough. Take a clean paper towl and dab it into the mayo and rub in on the brisket not a lot, I make a thin coat once you completely cover the brisket, apply you rub, it will stick well and you can use the hands to spread it as it sticks very well to the meat. Once you finished side one, wash hands and toss the paper towel. Then flip the mean and repeat with a new towel again. then go about cooking your brisket as you normally do. Report back when you try it.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I've never done this with a brisket, but I do often when I am pan searing a steak in the cast iron...works great!

So the report from this weekend: The beer was cold and went down really well. The brisket was just "okay" in my opinion, but everyone who ate it said it was really good. It passed the pull test with flying colors, but was a little dry tasting for me. I may have trimmed it a little too much prior to cooking. Flavor was really good. https://twitter.com/claytonboling
I think I linked that to the pictures, if you have a second, check it out and tell me what you think

What is everyone's favorite store bought rub/seasoning for ribs?

I randomly buy different brands of rubs to try and although I found some good ones, I haven't found that perfect rub that you can just open the bottle and use. I always think they need something else or are too salty.

I randomly buy different brands of rubs to try and although I found some good ones, I haven't found that perfect rub that you can just open the bottle and use. I always think they need something else or are too salty.

I use a variety of season for ribs: Zach's, Tony Chacheres, garlic salt, pepper, cumin, paprika. Whatever you like is good.

So the report from this weekend: The beer was cold and went down really well. The brisket was just "okay" in my opinion, but everyone who ate it said it was really good. It passed the pull test with flying colors, but was a little dry tasting for me. I may have trimmed it a little too much prior to cooking. Flavor was really good. https://twitter.com/claytonboling
I think I linked that to the pictures, if you have a second, check it out and tell me what you think

Your brisket looks good in the pic! Sometimes it is hard to keep it moist and tender at the same time. I always cook mind fat side up. I only swap ends every hour and a half or so, but always keep the fat side up. Also, I spritz my brisket with vinegar and water about once per hour.

Reactions: ASURAM2010

I've recently started using the Scuttlebug's 1836 Beef Rub. It is one of my favorites currently.

I've recently started using the Scuttlebug's 1836 Beef Rub. It is one of my favorites currently.

I'll give it a try. Harley's is a good one, although it can get too salty if you put it on too thick. HEB carries it.

I don't normally buy their meat but I often will buy Rudy's brisket and Chicken Rubs. Love the spicy flavor.

Not doing brisket this weekend, but got baby backs and pork butts on the menu this weekend

Not doing brisket this weekend, but got baby backs and pork butts on the menu this weekend
Funny you should say that--- I've got a buddy that wants to take a prime rib and cut it in bone width slices and SMOKE them this weekend---- he's curios how they will turn out and wants my help in doing them.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Funny you should say that--- I've got a buddy that wants to take a prime rib and cut it in bone width slices and SMOKE them this weekend---- he's curios how they will turn out and wants my help in doing them.
You will be wasting a good piece of Prime Rib to do that! That's a little expensive meat to be experimenting with...LOL

Gonna have fried Sand trout I caught this morning and grilled red fish I caught also with coleslaw and Colorado pinto beans and cold Shiner Regular!@

Reactions: freeper
Grilling a New York Strip Friday night. How do you guys go about grilling steak?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT