ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, There's a Camp Brisket at Texas A&M

Slow? Really? I typically hit them with a high direct heat for a relatively short time.

Everybody has their own way Bwilks, best is to do what you think and build off that, you might discover something amazing for yourself. everybody cooks their own way and experiments with all the Pro Tips ya get..lol

I have heard of people soaking their steak on coffee before cooking, I had not figured that one out yet...LOLOL

Everybody has their own way Bwilks, best is to do what you think and build off that, you might discover something amazing for yourself. everybody cooks their own way and experiments with all the Pro Tips ya get..lol
Totally agree. That's why I asked the question. I enjoyed seeing everyone's take on Brisket.

With low heat, do you get a good char on the outside while also not overcooking the inside?

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Totally agree. That's why I asked the question. I enjoyed seeing everyone's take on Brisket.

With low heat, do you get a good char on the outside while also not overcooking the inside?

I always look at the smoke ring, I have a dark Brownish black char on my meat after 6 or 7 hrs, when ya slice it it should have a good smoke ring around the meat, best to have a meat thermometer on ya pit to reg the heat inside and one for the inside, always is handy, if ya want the best brisket then stay away from direct heat, people tend to get in a hurry when they get cooking a Brisket, it takes time if ya wanna have a good tasting brisket, also the wood you use could alter the color outside ,,,I use only chocolate old mesquite for my Briskets, but, not everyone does, Pecan will give ya a lotta smoke , oak is slow burning...etc you might get ya a book on BBQ woods and see what each does for ya, and start ya fire with twigs and paper , you use starter fluid then ya food taste like starter fluid, it takes a while to burn off, I never wrap my brisket in foil to cook on pit, on the sausage, I buy V&V , I boil it for about 5 mins to get the excess grease outa it and then throw on the pit and smoke it for about 10 min or a little more away from fire and it gets smoke flavor on it, its already cooked anyway, can't stand burnt sausage , that's it B! Works for me for 40 something yrs passed down Gen to Gen, but, then everyone thinks theirs is better than everyone else's...LOL!

The toughest part is finding a good sauce recipe, I like to make my own but sometimes don't so all my herd of grand kids and sons like Sweet baby Rays

I always look at the smoke ring, I have a dark Brownish black char on my meat after 6 or 7 hrs, when ya slice it it should have a good smoke ring around the meat, best to have a meat thermometer on ya pit to reg the heat inside and one for the inside, always is handy, if ya want the best brisket then stay away from direct heat, people tend to get in a hurry when they get cooking a Brisket, it takes time if ya wanna have a good tasting brisket, also the wood you use could alter the color outside ,,,I use only chocolate old mesquite for my Briskets, but, not everyone does, Pecan will give ya a lotta smoke , oak is slow burning...etc you might get ya a book on BBQ woods and see what each does for ya, and start ya fire with twigs and paper , you use starter fluid then ya food taste like starter fluid, it takes a while to burn off, I never wrap my brisket in foil to cook on pit, on the sausage, I buy V&V , I boil it for about 5 mins to get the excess grease outa it and then throw on the pit and smoke it for about 10 min or a little more away from fire and it gets smoke flavor on it, its already cooked anyway, can't stand burnt sausage , that's it B! Works for me for 40 something yrs passed down Gen to Gen, but, then everyone thinks theirs is better than everyone else's...LOL!

The toughest part is finding a good sauce recipe, I like to make my own but sometimes don't so all my herd of grand kids and sons like Sweet baby Rays
Makes sense for Brisket, I had changed the subject to steak. Any pointers there?

Makes sense for Brisket, I had changed the subject to steak. Any pointers there?

Keep a water bottle close for flareups and I turn my meat twice only, I cheat and keep a meat therm o , I have lost my touch and I used to could press on it and tell ya what it was, you can charbroil meat when the flames are high for a little while to get it going then slow it down, I marinate in pan and fork it a little for about 2 hrs before I cook it, season it with a little with a little Sea salt and fresh Black Pepper both sides and Garlic if your in to that in Lea and Periine's Worcester sauce, the best Worcester sauce there is, all the chefs I know use only that one, you can tell the diff between the cheap shit and this one..good luck to ya!

PS Don't give meat a bath with Worcester, just lightky and run both side with it after seasoning

my sons bast theirs with Butter and garlic and lemon to keep it moist

Last edited:
I seldom grill steak. I almost never eat steak at a restaurant, frankly my steak is better than most restaurants.

Start off with prime, never compromise on quality of meat.

I move the rack of my oven to the very top and preheat my oven on broil high.

I will spritz my steak with light olive oil and add some sea salt and cracked pepper. I place the steak on a broil pan and place in middle of top rack cook side one for 5 minutes and flip and cook side 2 for 3 minutes pull out and let it sit for 5 minutes this allows the meat to continue to cook on the inside

The meat will be rare so if you like a morel well done meat add extra minutes to side 2.

I seldom grill steak. I almost never eat steak at a restaurant, frankly my steak is better than most restaurants.

Start off with prime, never compromise on quality of meat.

I move the rack of my oven to the very top and preheat my oven on broil high.

I will spritz my steak with light olive oil and add some sea salt and cracked pepper. I place the steak on a broil pan and place in middle of top rack cook side one for 5 minutes and flip and cook side 2 for 3 minutes pull out and let it sit for 5 minutes this allows the meat to continue to cook on the inside

The meat will be rare so if you like a morel well done meat, I kindly ask you to leave sir and never return.

I fixed it for you. My dad and stepdad both order medium well to well done. It wasn't until college that I was introduced to a nice medium rare steak.

I am lucky to have one of the best meat markets in South texas in CC, Mr Moody's meats, maybe clob will vouch also, you got in there and see some of the best looking meats in Texas, he make 8 diff sausages and stuff quail...etc you just want to buy the whole store and he has his own meats from his cattle and a big selection of Angus and organic as well

Someone brought it up with the brisket, but I usually cover mine in a layer of real mayo. Then season. Get my cast iron skillet really really hot with a quite a bit of butter in it and then "fry" it for about 2 minutes on each side and then lower the heat. I've found that that first sear does a good job of keeping the moisture in. The mayo creates a little bit of a "crust" if you will.

Someone brought it up with the brisket, but I usually cover mine in a layer of real mayo. Then season. Get my cast iron skillet really really hot with a quite a bit of butter in it and then "fry" it for about 2 minutes on each side and then lower the heat. I've found that that first sear does a good job of keeping the moisture in. The mayo creates a little bit of a "crust" if you will.

Take that steak swimming!...LOL! Be backstroking in that butter and mayo, gotta be some yanke3e steak cooks on here...won't be no meat taste

There is nothing wrong with cooking a steak a little slower. Sometimes I like to cook it for a while off the coals and then sear at the end to give it a char, and you can still cook it to medium. To me this gives it a chance for the edge fat to melt away. I don't like the big hunks of fat that isn't cooked all the way. I actually prefer a sirloin over ribeye.

Take that steak swimming!...LOL! Be backstroking in that butter and mayo, gotta be some yanke3e steak cooks on here...won't be no meat taste

You do realize that some of the best steak restaurants reside in places like New York.

As for my brisket the idea of using mayo came from a guy named Rudy Aue. From a barbecue restaurant out in Lano Springs called Rudy’s country store and barbecue

So if you think Lano Springs is Yankee then you are in desperate need of a map.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT