ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp thread

Here are a few notes OB has gathered about early-week Longhorns closed practices following the Saturday scrimmage:

- As reported by Jason Suchomel, RB Johnathan Gray suffered a minor injury in the Saturday scrimmage and one source said he had to go to the pit during a reported full-pads practice on Monday. However, all parties that OB staff members have spoken to about Gray say he's going to be fine and it's very minor. The Texas staff is clearly being cautious about not overexerting Gray in fall camp, as it plans to lean on him heavily (when real bullets are flying) in just over two weeks.

- Speaking of players the staff plans to lean heavily on (and be very cautious with), DT Hassan Ridgeway is reportedly coming along well from a reported back issue. We have not had the opportunity to really see Ridgeway in action at practices open to the media during camp, so it's impossible to judge by second-hand reports alone, but at least the ones we've received have all been encouraging so far. Ridgeway last week was working out in pads but not taking part in all the drills per Vance Bedford. Monday, one person indicated that Ridgeway was taking part in a very physical drill (inside-run drill) because he texted that Ridgeway "manhandled" OT Tristan Nickelson "during inside."

Here a few quick nuggets (and thoughts) on the offensive line:

- People say it continues to look very good. It'll be interesting to follow whether the group continues to shine in practice like it has now that Ridgeway seems to be rounding into form. Very soon, the first OL will be facing Hassan Ridgeway and Desmond Jackson inside - which changes things. Monday marked the day that Texas begins preparations for Notre Dame and the team will need to give true looks to its true starters and personnel at some point.

- On the subject of who the "true starters" are, it feels like it's probably about time to start calling true-reshman OG Patrick Vahe one. Per one good source, the first offensive line remained the same on Monday as it has been for nearly a week now: (L to R) Connor Williams, Sedrick Flowers, Taylor Doyle, Patrick Vahe, Kent Perkins. If Charlie Strong or Joe Wickline were to be asked if Vahe was a "starter," rest assured, they'd tell you something like "he has to earn his job every day," every job is up for grabs, "we're looking for the best five guys," etc... The point is that they're not lying when they say that stuff. Vahe is working with the first team for a reason. This whole thing has gone long past the "tinkering" stage.

- We've heard from enough people to confirm that recent-freshman-enrollee OL Buck Major was at practice Monday, but not dressed out or practicing, presumably per rules about how soon a player can jump into physical activity. One person texted about Major and said "(he's) bigger than I thought" and "(he) looks like (a tackle)."

This is Jeff Howes take on Vahe in 247

Freshmen are likely to make an impact all over the field for Texas in 2015, but few have made the kind of difference Patrick Vahe has this early on the offesnive line.

The 6-foot-2, 319-pound Euless Trinity product has already forced shifting of the depth chart along the offensive line. Team sources have told Horns247 that Vahe has been mixing in with the first offensive line group in recent practices at right guard, meaning Joe Wickline has already worked him out at both guard spots.

Vahe hit the ground running upon his arrival at Texas in June, and he had little to no issue with the team's workout program despite coming off a major injury. Assistant head coach for offense Shawn Watson echoed recently what others inside the program have said about Vahe -- his toughness is a breath of fresh air for the offense.

“He's a tough dude,” Watson said. “He's always happy, number one, and he likes to be physical. He likes the physical aspect of the game.”

Watson went a step further in his praise for Vahe, referring to the former Top247 lineman as a plumber. The comment might seem unflattering, but the way Watson laid it out the description seems to fit Vahe's rugged style of play quite well.

“He comes every day to work, and he doesn't mind hard work,” Watson said. “He loves to work hard, and he's got a physical mentality about himself, so he could be a cage fighter.”

Plumber. Cage fighter. Just call Vahe a difference maker since that what he's been in short time at Texas.

It's not crazy to suggest he might already be one of the five best linemen in the program. At the very least, Vahe is forcing everyone in the offensive line room to approach each day with urgency if they hope to maintain their starting spot for the Notre Dame game.

“When you're developing a program, you've got to bring competition in, and that's the key,” Watson said. “So you bring a guy in that has that kind of, really honestly, character that it's important to compete and win it brings it out in everybody else. I think that's one of the things that you see him bringing to the table.”

Author Jeff Howe

Reactions: Scholz
William Wilkerson ‏@WVWilkerson 1m1 minute ago
Breckyn Hager tweaked shoulder Saturday. Nothing serious. @HornsDigest

Jeff Howe ‏@JeffHowe247 2m2 minutes ago
Patrick Vahe is competing along the OL. John Burt, Holton Hill, Kris Boyd, Davante Davis are all playing well. #HookEm #Longhorns

Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger 2m2 minutes ago
Charlie Strong, in naming offensive standouts from Saturday's scrimmage, mentions D Foreman, Warren, Burt, Swoopes and, hey, Daje Johnson.

William Wilkerson ‏@WVWilkerson 3m3 minutes ago
Daje had two touchdowns inscrimmage. One was a reverse. Celebrated one TD with a double backflip. @HornsDigest

Horns247 ‏@Horns247 3m3 minutes ago
Both quarterback were effective. Daje Johnson also had a big day. #HookEm #Longhorns

William Wilkerson ‏@WVWilkerson 4m4 minutes agoAustin, TX
. @charless_94 has been a surprise to Charlie Strong. Having a good camp. @HornsDigest

Andrew King ‏@Andrew_TFB 2m2 minutes ago
Strong says he told Coach Haley that they've got about 12 DL that can go play right now.

Matt Cotcher ‏@MLCotcher 2m2 minutes ago
Strong says both Hager & Gray suffered minor injuries. Doesn't sound serious

Jeff Howe ‏@JeffHowe247 2m2 minutes ago
Strong feels the #Longhorns are legitimately 12-13 deep along the DL. #HookEm #Longhorns

Andrew King ‏@Andrew_TFB 3m3 minutes ago
Strong says the defensive front should take some pressure off the young LB's.

Jeff Howe ‏@JeffHowe247 3m3 minutes ago
Strong said the defense is good up front. He’s told Malik Jefferson there’s no pressure on him. Just needs to go play. #HookEm #Longhorns

Roger Wallace ‏@rwallacekxan 49s50 seconds ago
Strong: Monitors in locker room constantly showing Notre Dame games.

Jeff Howe ‏@JeffHowe247 53s54 seconds ago
Strong said Adrian Colbert has stepped up with DeShon Elliott out nursing a toe injury. #HookEm #Longhorns

Horns247 ‏@Horns247 33s34 seconds ago
Strong on Shawn Watson: “He’s so detailed.” Said attitude of QBs is “totally different” in this camp. Swoopes has a chip on his shoulder.

Andrew King ‏@Andrew_TFB 46s47 seconds ago
Strong says when the older guys see that the young guys can really play, they step up their game. That is what's happening.

Jeff Howe ‏@JeffHowe247 3m3 minutes ago
Tyrone Swoopes has “controlled” the offense according to Strong. He hasn’t thrown many bad balls lately. #HookEm #Longhorns

Ricky Doyle ‏@RickyDoyle 4m4 minutes ago
Strong says there is separation at QB. Swoopes establishing himself.

Reactions: blh111
I like what I'm hearing, good lord feed us some more! When a coach sounds like hes having fun, things are going well! No stress in that voice! Lots of jokes! I would say the new attitude is in full force...

William Wilkerson ‏@WVWilkerson 48s48 seconds ago Austin, TX
Johnathan Gray recently told Strong he wants to be on punt team. Now everyone wants to be on punt team. @HornsDigest

Justin Wells ‏@justinwells2424 53s53 seconds ago
"Kris Boyd is looking good." - Strong, on Gilmer native & UT freshman DB @kris23db #HookEm #bEASTtexas

Matt Cotcher ‏@MLCotcher 10s10 seconds ago
J. Gray asked to be on punt coverage team & Strong says he started a trend: "Now everybody wants to do it." Says that's the attitude in camp

Horns247 ‏@Horns247 10s10 seconds ago
Strong freshmen haven’t backed down during camp. Said older guys have brought them in. #HookEm #Longhorns

Dude, he's ready to take the field.... I love the joke to Heard about him (Strong) pointing to the locker room in South Bend if he makes a bad play.

After listening to that presser, I think I'll make a big ole pitcher of Texas Margaritas to go with diner tonight! I like my koolaid, spiked...

Reactions: utisdabomb12
Did you say daje celebrated with a DOUBLE back flip?....was that one then another, or was it 2 revolutions in the air???

THIS is the important kind of fall info that I need!

They are still a shit sandwich, just not a smelly one. :p

This team will have two early losses but they are going to have a long run before they get #3. By the time Baylor comes around I fully expect Texas to be the one school in the Big 12 no one wants to play (sans TCU).

I'm also calling my shot that Texas ends up in the Cotton bowl

I haven´t seen him but I am intrigued. 6´4 kid, tremendous athlete, I can imagine he would be a beast in the QB run game. Plus with his father being an OC I have read that he has grasped the playbook very quickly, and that he is smart out there. I think many people are think Heard for the next four years, or Swoopes until Buchuele gets here, but I am thinking Locksley can be the gem of this class. Hopefully our starting QBs this year are good enough so we can RS him and develop him properly.

Reactions: oldhorn2
I haven´t seen him but I am intrigued. 6´4 kid, tremendous athlete, I can imagine he would be a beast in the QB run game. Plus with his father being an OC I have read that he has grasped the playbook very quickly, and that he is smart out there. I think many people are think Heard for the next four years, or Swoopes until Buchuele gets here, but I am thinking Locksley can be the gem of this class. Hopefully our starting QBs this year are good enough so we can RS him and develop him properly.

This!.....So much this!......Good for you SCZ.....I think you just broke the code!

I'm thinking he's got to be the qb for the future not Swoopes or Heard.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Yep. I'm so close to calling him the QB of the future, but I just need to see him in action first. I've just got a good feeling about him.

Yep. I'm so close to calling him the QB of the future, but I just need to see him in action first. I've just got a good feeling about him.

He was truly the first qb recruited by the Charlie Strong era. It doesn't take rocket science to realize that this is the kind of qb they want for the offense they want to run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT