ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Putting 2015 to bed, on to 2016!)

Originally posted by Ketchum:
Originally posted by jtesq:
Sorry Ketch but just watched Boyhood and I'm baffled on why it is getting the love it is getting. I think the idea of filming the movie over a 15yr timeline is awesome but the actual movie itself was pretty bland and flat.

And this coming from a guy who enjoys good character development.
It's a beautiful movie about life, family and the changes that come within that structure over time.

Things I loved about the movie...

* The coming of age story of the "boy" in the movie really is unlike anything we've ever seen before in cinema. We actually watched him grow from a boy into a young man and within all of the visuals is real-life context to what happens for boys who grow up in unorthodox family structures.

* Patricia Arquette is sensational as the single-mom in this movie and watching her go through many different shades of colors as she attempts to find herself and discover life was fascinating, especially for someone who grew up in such a household.

* The same is true of Ethan Hawke and his own personal journey, from man unwilling and ready to be a parent to the picture of responsibility, while adding layers of his own story within this small family picture.

Calling the movie bland and flat is to miss this picture of Americana that unfolds in front of our very eyes.

This isn't a movie as much as it's a novel about life, real life, and not the normal mess we're presented on screen.

Honestly, I could go on and on.
Not really interested in a movie about the typical American boy's experience. I already lived around that. Give me something I haven't seen.

Hipsters are in love with the concept, and it is a cool concept, but that story takes place in over half the American households, and if the director chose some other kid, we'd get the same movie 6 out of 10 times.

Sometimes things that take a long time in the making aren't better simply because it took a long time to make.

… My fanfare for former Gilmer coach and current tight ends/special
teams coach Jeff Traylor is fairly well-known at this point, but let me
hit home this point one more time … if you were making a list of high
school coaches from the Lone Star State that you would project to tear
it up at the college football ranks, Traylor has to rank in just about
anyone's top three when it comes to the ability to flat out coach some
football. Throw in the fact that he could prove to be quite an ace for
the Longhorns on the recruiting roads of East Texas and you have a slam
dunk hire in my mind. Trust me, unlike the last tight ends coach,
Traylor will not treat this job like a destination jump that he never
intends to improve on.
Bingo! As someone on your staff once pointed out, the kids from the East Texas backwoods are hungry and come in ready to complete, regardless of their Rivals ranking and unlike their counterparts from the major metro areas of Texas who seem to think their stuff doesn't stink.

Way to go, Charlie, great job! Hook'em!!

This post was edited on 2/17 8:26 AM by Saint Darrell

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Putting 2015 to bed, on to

Originally posted by Shepdogsw:

Originally posted by memhorn:
Great write up; glad you are back.

A while back you posted about the importance of having TWO really good classes in a row to maximize impact on the field (if I remember right).

Is the 2015 class good to be the first of two. (I assume 2014 doesn't add up to one). What all do we need in 2016 to make it and 2015 be the foundation for a championship run?

Let's wait and see on 2014. Hall was a starter as a true freshman and I liked what I saw from the foreman brothers. Heard and Roberson who I think we're the best projected recruits on offense and defense both redshirted. The 2014 class is not dead yet.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
That class isn't the backbone of a title winning team IMO.

"six-man group that has a little bit of everything, ranging from immediate JUCO help to a top-flight tackle and guard prospect from the high school ranks and a couple of long-term projects."

Ketch- Who is the top-flight tackle and guard prospect your talking about? Im guessing Connor Williams and Vahe?

Also can we get an updated depth chart pre spring?

Originally posted by UTblood63:
"six-man group that has a little bit of everything, ranging from immediate JUCO help to a top-flight tackle and guard prospect from the high school ranks and a couple of long-term projects."

Ketch- Who is the top-flight tackle and guard prospect your talking about? Im guessing Connor Williams and Vahe?

Also can we get an updated depth chart pre spring?
a. correct

b. Yes.

Originally posted by PCHorn:

Best Actress (based on the movies that I have actually seen)

1. Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl)
You were doing so well right up until this.
I have seen pretty much the same movies Ketch has seen this year and other than his love for Boyhood (still don't get it) and Birdman. I think Rosamund Pike has as good a chance any leading actress. If you don't think her performance was really good then who do you think would rate higher? Just curious.

Originally posted by TNHorn:

Originally posted by PCHorn:

Best Actress (based on the movies that I have actually seen)

1. Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl)
You were doing so well right up until this.
I have seen pretty much the same movies Ketch has seen this year and other than his love for Boyhood (still don't get it) and Birdman. I think Rosamund Pike has as good a chance any leading actress. If you don't think her performance was really good then who do you think would rate higher? Just curious.
Julianne Moore in Still Alice is supposed to be out of this world good. I need to see it.

No. 4 - An early 2016 recruiting realistic dream class …

Based on early offers, it probably looks a little something like this with a little less than 12 months in the recruiting year to go.

QB: Xavier Gaines (Frostproof, Fla.)
QB: Matthew Merrick (Dallas Cistercian)

RB: Devwah Whaley (Beaumont Central)
RB: Kyle Porter (Katy)
RB: Out of State Player

WR: Collin Johnson (San Jose, Ca.)
WR: Reggie Hemphill (Manvel)
WR: Devin Duvernay (Sachse)
WR: Tren'Davian Dickson (Navasota)

TE: Kaden Smith (Flower Mound Marcus)

OL: J.P. Urquidez (Copperas Cove)
OL: Parker Boudreaux (Orlando, Fla.)
OL: Jean Delance (North Mesquite)

DT: Ed Oliver (Spring Westfield)
DT: Michael Williams (FW All Saints)
DT: Kendell Jones (Killeen Shoemaker)

DE: Mark Jackson (Cibolo Steele)
DE: Justin Madubuike (McKinney North)
DE: Joseph Jackson (Miami, Fla.)

LB: DeMarco Boyd (Gilmer)
LB: Jeffrey McCulloch (Aldine Davis)
LB: Erick Fowler (Manor)

DB: Eric Monroe (North Shore)
DB: Brandon Jones (Nacogdoches)
DB: Deontay Anderson (Manvel)

Hey Ketch, you misspelled Dee Anderson, Trayveon Williams and Parrish Cobb

- Anderson is probably the best WR in the state
- Trayveon makes up for not getting Trey Williams, Roland Jones or Stevenson the last couple of years
- I get that all three safeties are elite, but we need a true CB in that group

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT