ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Putting 2015 to bed, on to 2016!)

Originally posted by Ketchum:
Originally posted by longhornmjc:
great to have your weekend thoughts back i missed it last week. Your kids look great i have 2 kids who are adults now but 3 years apart i cant imagine having to keep up with 2 at the same time that is going to be a lot of fun.
Just think in a few years they start school together than they are both teenagers together they both start dating at the same time they both start driving at the same time wow do i need to continue. Ketch you are in for quite a ride good luck
a. Thanks, good to be back. The bug whipped me last week.

b. Thanks, I'm going to need it. Haven will be the end of me.
smile.r191677.gif
After raising 5, I can definitely agree with that.

But at the very same time, he will likely be the beginning of you as well. So much of the good that God put inside of me came out as I raised my five. And more so with my one special needs one (Downs) than the others.

Originally posted by HornDog:

I'm actually OK with that QB class after last year. I'm willing to wait another year for quality QB play (at least knowing it is on the way). .

You know it's on the way?
-----------
Yes, in 2016 you will have Swoopes (5.8), Heard (5.9), Locksley (5.8), Merrick (5.5)(after we whiff on a grad transfer) and your special preferred walk on with 3 years, 2 years, RS, RS and RS respectively all available. It apparently takes one year to learn Watson's system. I believe you can find a QB out of this group that can solidify the QB position. If not, it's on your QB whisperer...

I'm actually OK with that QB class after last year. I'm willing to wait another year for quality QB play (at least knowing it is on the way). .

You know it's on the way?
-----------
Yes, in 2016 you will have Swoopes (5.8), Heard (5.9), Locksley (5.8), Merrick (5.5)(after we whiff on a grad transfer) and your special preferred walk on with 3 years, 2 years, RS, RS and RS respectively all available. It apparently takes one year to learn Watson's system. I believe you can find a QB out of this group that can solidify the QB position. If not, it's on your QB whisperer...
fair enough. was just looking to better understand the thought process and you explained it.

Beautiful kids, Ketch. Hendrix is a tough little guy, and that is never a bad thing!

I would love it if your projected 2016 class came through, player for player....

Originally posted by HuffTex:

Beautiful kids, Ketch. Hendrix is a tough little guy, and that is never a bad thing!

I would love it if your projected 2016 class came through, player for player....
That's why it's called a Dream Class.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by sharphorn:

Nice write up Ketch, but I do agree with Durant, the National Sportswriters do write
basically what they want about players, even though some things might not be true.
All writes are not like that, but I would say the majority rules in this case.
Most of those sportswriters have slobbered on Durant for a decade. Frankly, the media has treated him with kids gloves when compared to a guy like Lebron.

Apples and oranges, of course, but oyu'd be hard-pressed to suggest he's been treated unfairly by the national media.
Totally agree with Ketch here. The media has been very kind to Durant, and he also benefits from being a mega-star in a city with no other pro sports that treats him extremely kindly. They actually issued an apology to him after a headline that they wrote at one point.

Lebron used to get constant heat about having never won a title. Durant, for the most part, doesn't draw the same level of scrutiny from the media. Turning heel on them seems like a weird decision to me.

Maybe this is the only way for Durant to enter his "Ric Flair stage" and I'm completely ok with that.

Great write up; glad you are back.

A while back you posted about the importance of having TWO really good classes in a row to maximize impact on the field (if I remember right).

Is the 2015 class good to be the first of two. (I assume 2014 doesn't add up to one). What all do we need in 2016 to make it and 2015 be the foundation for a championship run?

Excellent write up on 2015 recruiting class. Well organized and easy to read and comprehend.

Will Barnes ride Myles Turner? I don't think so, although I'm with you on that strategy. Barnes had a similar opportunity come his way back when Kevin Durrant was playing, and he chose not to go with his go to guy. Never, ever understood that decision because Durrant was so hot that he could have carried the team even further that year. It was as if Barnes said "hey, let's play team ball and win this thing like it says it he textbook." Wrong. You play the hot hand and take those W's anyway you can.

Agree that Boyhood was something special. The Mrs. and I fully expect to see Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette to walk up on that stage and accept the Oscar for truly worthy performances. We also agree with you that Boyhood should claim the prize for best director and movie. The whole film was very impressive. In that regard, we find it odd that some critics on this board viewed the movie as being bland, boring and containing no character development, whereas we came to the exact opposite point of view.

And then we saw The Theory of Everything. Eddie Redmayne gave a powerful, convincing performance. Could he be the next Daniel Day-Lewis? Treat yourself and watch the "extras" available on the Netflix rental and learn more about how the film was made and better appreciate the work of both Redmayne and Felicity Jones.

Originally posted by jtesq:
Sorry Ketch but just watched Boyhood and I'm baffled on why it is getting the love it is getting. I think the idea of filming the movie over a 15yr timeline is awesome but the actual movie itself was pretty bland and flat.

And this coming from a guy who enjoys good character development.
You are being too kind, but I agree, gimmicky film, totally boring.

ok I've made it through 9 of the 10 movies for best picture, still need to see the Theory of Everything. Now that I've seen Boyhood I'm on the same page. That is easily the movie of the year. Simply incredible. It's really hard to rate the other ones in any sort of order because they are so differnt. Selma was my least favorite of the bunch and that movie was amazing.

Is UT only doing one junior day this year? If so, why? Wouldn't it be to our advantage to have two and offer more chances to get kids on campus?

Originally posted by memhorn:

Is the 2015 class good to be the first of two. (I assume 2014 doesn't add up to one). What all do we need in 2016 to make it and 2015 be the foundation for a championship run?
It's dam close. Not having the quarterback issue settled is a major issue, though. Puts a lot of pressure on getting it right.

Originally posted by Flash1978:

Originally posted by Flash1978:
I'll be really surprised if the 2016 class has three running backs. And if he can get his grades in order, I think Rakeem Boyd will be in the mix.
Typically, you replace what is lost in a class and with three backs going out, it would make sense.

Probably depends on what some of the younger guys do.
Who, besides Gray, is leaving or even an upperclassmen at running back?
De la Torre and Daje Johnson.
alien.r191677.gif

Originally posted by I Hear Voices:
Excellent write up on 2015 recruiting class. Well organized and easy to read and comprehend.

Will Barnes ride Myles Turner? I don't think so, although I'm with you on that strategy. Barnes had a similar opportunity come his way back when Kevin Durrant was playing, and he chose not to go with his go to guy. Never, ever understood that decision because Durrant was so hot that he could have carried the team even further that year. It was as if Barnes said "hey, let's play team ball and win this thing like it says it he textbook." Wrong. You play the hot hand and take those W's anyway you can.

Agree that Boyhood was something special. The Mrs. and I fully expect to see Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette to walk up on that stage and accept the Oscar for truly worthy performances. We also agree with you that Boyhood should claim the prize for best director and movie. The whole film was very impressive. In that regard, we find it odd that some critics on this board viewed the movie as being bland, boring and containing no character development, whereas we came to the exact opposite point of view.

And then we saw The Theory of Everything. Eddie Redmayne gave a powerful, convincing performance. Could he be the next Daniel Day-Lewis? Treat yourself and watch the "extras" available on the Netflix rental and learn more about how the film was made and better appreciate the work of both Redmayne and Felicity Jones.
a. Totally agree with you on the UT hoops discussion. He has one year of Turner, and if it were me, I'd have no second thoughts of usage when he's gone. I'll have used those bullets, all of them.

b. Agree on Boyhood.

c. I was a little underwhelmed by The Theory of Everything. Redmayne was really, really good, but he's not DDL and I kind of unfairly held that against him. I thought the story was a little disappointing. I thought they didn't give ones enough to work with. That being said, he's right at the top of the list.

Originally posted by WhoAreThoseGuys:

Originally posted by jtesq:
Sorry Ketch but just watched Boyhood and I'm baffled on why it is getting the love it is getting. I think the idea of filming the movie over a 15yr timeline is awesome but the actual movie itself was pretty bland and flat.

And this coming from a guy who enjoys good character development.
You are being too kind, but I agree, gimmicky film, totally boring.
Man, we just had different movie-watching experiences with this one.

Originally posted by wgarnot:
ok I've made it through 9 of the 10 movies for best picture, still need to see the Theory of Everything. Now that I've seen Boyhood I'm on the same page. That is easily the movie of the year. Simply incredible. It's really hard to rate the other ones in any sort of order because they are so differnt. Selma was my least favorite of the bunch and that movie was amazing.

Is UT only doing one junior day this year? If so, why? Wouldn't it be to our advantage to have two and offer more chances to get kids on campus?
They'll likely have a second event later in the spring. I think they want to be much stingier with the early offers, and inviting a bunch of guys down and not offering creates some issues.

1.) Strong class breakdown.

2.) I agree with your Oscar picks.

3.) The twins are adorable.

re: QB: C+ You state the goals were (1) shoring up the position in a major way was the single-most important objective of the 2015 recruiting class. the two things that needed to come out of this class at the position was adding some sort of (2a) instant help from both a (2b) talent and (2c) numbers standpoint heading into the 2015 season. Given that they signed only one QB and he's probably a 2-year development project, it would seem that the targeted goal fell significantly short. Thus, a grade of D would be more appropriate.

Originally posted by Fan in Dallas:
re: QB: C+ You state the goals were (1) shoring up the position in a major way was the single-most important objective of the 2015 recruiting class. the two things that needed to come out of this class at the position was adding some sort of (2a) instant help from both a (2b) talent and (2c) numbers standpoint heading into the 2015 season. Given that they signed only one QB and he's probably a 2-year development project, it would seem that the targeted goal fell significantly short. Thus, a grade of D would be more appropriate.
You might be right. Hell, if Locksley is more receiver than quarterback, it'll be an F.

Personally, I like Locksley.

Originally posted by I Hear Voices:

a. Totally agree with you on the UT hoops discussion. He has one year of Turner, and if it were me, I'd have no second thoughts of usage when he's gone. I'll have used those bullets, all of them.
Let's not pretend that Durant himself shares some of that blame. Unless you all think it's a coincidence that the major question that people have about him is his "want to" consistently in big games.

Do you believe Daje Johnson is a candidate for attrition based on previous history or are you hearing something new regarding his intentions or current issues?

The last time I heard anything about him, he was on the straight and narrow....?

Originally posted by RLong68:

Let's not pretend that Durant himself shares some of that blame. Unless you all think it's a coincidence that the major question that people have about him is his "want to" consistently in big games.
who still has this question?

Originally posted by bigeye6912:
Do you believe Daje Johnson is a candidate for attrition based on previous history or are you hearing something new regarding his intentions or current issues?

The last time I heard anything about him, he was on the straight and narrow....?
Haven't heard anything negative... why?

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Putting 2015 to bed, on to

Originally posted by memhorn:
Great write up; glad you are back.

A while back you posted about the importance of having TWO really good classes in a row to maximize impact on the field (if I remember right).

Let's wait and see on 2014. Hall was a starter as a true freshman and I liked what I saw from the foreman brothers. Heard and Roberson who I think we're the best projected recruits on offense and defense both redshirted. The 2014 class is not dead yet.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by bigeye6912:

Haven't heard anything negative... why?
Sorry to be a dimwit... I can't tell if you are asking me or telling me. (And i can't imagine any reason you'd be asking me.)

So sick of the only "take it to the house guy" can't get on the field or get touches syndrome. But I am probably in denial. Sick of it. Disgusted, frustrated, wondering how the hell can this happen to a school like Texas over and over and over again. Feel me?

This post was edited on 2/16 10:34 PM by bigeye6912

Can you please clarify what a gray-shirt is, and why a prospect would simply not walk-on the first semester/year and then get on scholarship his RS. Freshman year?

Essentially, is the kid sitting out of school for a semester?

If that is a realistic dream class, I'd like to have some of what you're having!

Last year's class ('15) seems like it has a bunch of guys who will be in the two deep as upperclassmen, but not in the top 22 if Texas wants to be a national contender. I'd say a solid B is a fair grade. I expected a top 10-15 class, and that is what we signed.

Need to break the top 5-7 this year and take back the state.

Over/Under on wins this year (regular season): 7.5

I'd take the under.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT