ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp thread

Ryan Autullo ‏@AutulloAAS 29s30 seconds ago
Wide receivers had a tough day Friday but doing better today. Armanti Foreman pulls in catch with one hand on slant drill.

Joe Cook ‏@josephcook89 15s15 seconds ago
McNeal is in TE drills. #hookem

Will Baizer ‏@WillBaizer 13s14 seconds ago
Swoopes looking good. Heard's deep balls fluttering and dying. #HookEm

RedditCFB ‏@RedditCFB 35s35 seconds ago
Swoopes is finally putting it all together and Heard needs to work on his passing if he wants to beat out Swoopes for the starting job.

Not liking this QB news. I kind of figured the job would be given to Swoopes initially but expected Heard to be the starter by game two or three. I just don't think Swoopes has what it takes between the ears, and his deficiencies are magnified by the struggles at O line. If Heard still can't throw after a full year in the program though, I'm not sure what you do. A dual QB system?

Reactions: LonghornMM
Not liking this QB news. I kind of figured the job would be given to Swoopes initially but expected Heard to be the starter by game two or three. I just don't think Swoopes has what it takes between the ears, and his deficiencies are magnified by the struggles at O line. If Heard still can't throw after a full year in the program though, I'm not sure what you do. A dual QB system?

Heard is a RS Freshman. It takes time to develop QBs. People think you can just throw out young QBs and be successful. Very few freshman or redshirt freshman start at QB in college football. It's why I've been telling people Swoopes will be the QB this year. I'm sure Heard will get some looks in the read option game though.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Will Baizer ‏@WillBaizer 4m4 minutes ago
Armanti Foreman is back up and running. He just tweaked his ankle. #HookEm

Kirk Bohls ‏@kbohls 4m4 minutes ago
Texas S Adrian Colbert pops Daje Johnson, dislodged ball for one of hits of day

Max Olson ‏@max_olson 12m12 minutes ago
Texas has 3 true freshmen running with the 1st team today: Malik Jefferson, John Burt, Connor Williams

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 12m12 minutes ago
Team has begun. Good look at up-tempo spread. Defense has John Bonney in slot, Quandre's old position.

Daniel Seahorn ‏@CoachSeahorn 11m11 minutes ago
Tempo is fast. Not wasting time between snaps.

Daniel Seahorn ‏@CoachSeahorn 9m9 minutes ago
I see Vahe getting him some second team reps at LG

Daniel Seahorn ‏@CoachSeahorn 14m14 minutes ago
Petey, MJ, Hughes at LB in that in a 3-3 look. Hughes moving around a lot.

Daniel Seahorn ‏@CoachSeahorn 21m21 minutes ago
By the way, Ryan Newsome is FAST.

Hook'em ‏@thelonghorns12 22m22 minutes ago
Connor Williams has some nasty in him and that's not a bad thing.

Ryan Autullo ‏@AutulloAAS 23m23 minutes ago
Skirmish breaks out and RT Connor Williams was in the middle of it.

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 24m24 minutes ago
Business is picking up. Poona Ford and Connor Williams just tangled up. Donnybrook does not go full scale. Teammates intervene.

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 27m27 minutes ago
Charles Omenihu responds by driving his next foe into next week. Then, McNeal lines down and stones him again, gets up talking smack.

Ryan Autullo ‏@AutulloAAS 27m27 minutes ago
TE DeAndre McNeal destroyed DE Charles Omenihu in blocking drill. Rematch is a draw and McNeal starts barking at Omenihu.

Joe Cook ‏@josephcook89 3m3 minutes ago
Defense has looked smooth but still missing some LB assignments. Santos is in running in 7 on 7.

Chris Hummer ‏@chris_hummer 12s12 seconds ago
Most impressive Texas freshmen of the day so far? To me, it's been John Burt. WR running with first team and stretching the field nicely.

Joe Cook ‏@josephcook89 20s20 seconds ago
Here's some fun: freshmen only punt unit. Newsome is back for the first punt

Ian Boyd ‏@Ian_A_Boyd 29s29 seconds ago
It's easier to hope in Heard as a savior than to hope for improvement from Swoopes. The latter requires patience.

Will Baizer ‏@WillBaizer 15s15 seconds ago
Dicko the Austalian is kicking the hell out of the ball. Even the punts he puts half a leg into go 40-50 yards. #HookEm

Daniel Seahorn ‏@CoachSeahorn 6s6 seconds ago
Santos just laid the wood to a shallow crosser. Helped him up afterwards.

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 18s19 seconds ago
After two practices, here's what I know. Every time I look up, McNeal, Burt and Malik are in the middle of things. J-Gray working too.

Joe Cook ‏@josephcook89 14s14 seconds ago
Bedford and Strong are two of the loudest coaches in the field. Bedford amped for every play. #hookem

Joe Cook ‏@josephcook89 11s11 seconds ago
Holton Hill is not participating in team drills. He's doing some running in the south end zone #hookem

Hook'em ‏@thelonghorns12 21s21 seconds ago
If you've followed recruiting it's fairly obvious Strong isn't high on the WRs on the roster outside of the FR that just came in.

Swoopes has improved, Boykin went from shit to Hesiman candadite... Depth is righteous. What's not to like.
It would be fantastic if Swoopes had a Boykin-esq turn around. But does anyone really think that is going to happen? Swoopes digressed as the year went on last year. He is not a good runner and takes too long with the ball in his hands, and that's a bad combination when your o line is weak. I really hope he has a break out season, but I was sure hoping Heard was ready to take over.

Reactions: diadevic
It would be fantastic if Swoopes had a Boykin-esq turn around. But does anyone really think that is going to happen? Swoopes digressed as the year went on last year. He is not a good runner and takes too long with the ball in his hands, and that's a bad combination when your o line is weak. I really hope he has a break out season, but I was sure hoping Heard was ready to take over.

I don't think Heard has mentally downloaded the offensive playbook just yet. Let's look at him in high school, 99.9% of the time, he was the best athlete on the field. You can get away with freelance, ad lib, and making something out of nothing. You can get away with that on the college level from time to time as well: see Johnny cokehead. Heard never had to apply himself in high school to the level he has to now. New playbook last year, and now another new playbook this year. The kids 19, I'm not making excuses, but if he's too busy thinking instead if reacting, there's going to be a delay in his actions on the field. Let's face it, in the spring game he looked most impressive when he tucked the ball and ran. Did he throw any frozen ropes in between defenders on a 20 yard crossing route? Nope.

We are stuck with Swoopes for the time being. And if he makes it through this season, we'll probably be stuck with him until he graduates. Settle in boys.

according to what I have read in other sites, Swoopes is way ahead of Heard in the passing dept....in fact some have said it is not even close.

Also frrom what I have read, our Austrailian punter isnt going to make first string

Burt is impressing everyone

yeah...they say he cam boom it, but he shanks it quite a bit and he isnt used to having to kick it as soon as he catches it. The other guy seems to be "booming " it every time

At any rate....what has impressed me the most about all camp reports is that our special teams will be greatly improved this year.

I'm not saying I "know" what's going to happen. I think a logical guess is that Swoopes will start against ND because it's too big of a stage for Heard's first ever start, and the ND defense is very experienced. If Swoopes can't produce in the first couple of games I expect the change to happen fast. Thats why the reports on Heard's lack of ability in the throwing department is alarming.

They're still building, I have realistic expectations and I don't expect to see a major move until year 3.... There is a great possibility that 10 or more kids starting by mid season are freshman or redshirt freshman, extremely young! The class entering their first fall camp is his foundation class. This year may only be a 6 or 7 win season, the move will come in year three moving forward. I've said it from day one of his hire.

Last edited:

Swoopes will be drastically improved if his offensive line can block for him. I'm not saying Swoopes was great last year but it would have been difficult for any QB to succeed with our offensive line last year. I'm not surprised at all Heard isn't ready to take over, he's a RS FR.

Last edited:
Swoopes will be drastically improved if his offensive line can block for him. I'm not saying Swoopes was great last year but it would have been difficult for any QB to succeed with our offensive line last year. I'm not surprised at all Heard isn't ready to take over, he's a RS FR.

Hold your horses there, let's not jump to conclusions and name a starter before the coaching staff. This was only the second or third practice. There is plenty of time for things to change. I don't read any other teams practice reports, but I'm curious what their reports sound like? Do their QBs make every throw, does their Oline open big holes every play, does their Dline get a sack every play? I bet not. When I hear a report that a QB threw a couple bad passes but also threw some good ones, I can't help but think what the percentage was. Remember that if a QB completes 60%, that is not bad. It's easy for a reporter to make generalizations but it doesn't tell the whole story. Maybe someone who attended the practice can give us an estimate of each QBs completion percentage? That is data I would be interested in knowing rather than he made some good throws and some bad throws.

Reactions: HornDrummer
Hold your horses there, let's not jump to conclusions and name a starter before the coaching staff. This was only the second or third practice. There is plenty of time for things to change. I don't read any other teams practice reports, but I'm curious what their reports sound like? Do their QBs make every throw, does their Oline open big holes every play, does their Dline get a sack every play? I bet not. When I hear a report that a QB threw a couple bad passes but also threw some good ones, I can't help but think what the percentage was. Remember that if a QB completes 60%, that is not bad. It's easy for a reporter to make generalizations but it doesn't tell the whole story. Maybe someone who attended the practice can give us an estimate of each QBs completion percentage? That is data I would be interested in knowing rather than he made some good throws and some bad throws.

I'll be shocked if Swoopes isn't the starter. Swoopes is getting all the first team reps. I still think Heard will get some reps in the game.

Apparently there is a lot of flutter in Heards deep ball. Other than that, there isn't anything they seem to be complaining about.

Swoopes has a cannon, there is no comparison when it comes to deep throws.

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
Don't forget people it took Vince 4 years in the program before he learned how to throw a football . Give him a chance, he needs to first learn the system and then to slow down the game in his mind. Once he does that, then you will see his training and natural ability take off. How long depends on Heard

If Swoopes improves from last year, I will be amazed.
That's how it works when you change to a system that fits a QB's abilities. He will absolutely be improved from last season.

Last edited:
He can only improve. The guy was David Carr from the early 2000's last year.

Subject: My observations from Sunday's open practice

The Longhorns turned in a physical practice on Saturday in front of a decent-sized crowd. Some notes I took while watching from the sideline ...

1. These coaches are coaching like their lives depend on the team being good this year. Damn near every coach on the team, including Charlie Strong, was very animated at one point or another and they're really pushing the guys harder than I can remember seeing at any open practices I've watched over the years.

2. Some of the best things I heard ...

"Run through him. You're 240 pounds. Do it again!" - Tommie Robinson

"F&*k his ass up! What was that?!? You have pads on!" - Brian Jean-Mary to a LB who didn't finish a contact drill the way he wanted

"I'm gonna run your ass after practice!" - Vance Bedford

"Good job 14. That's how you play quarterback! Those other guys suck!" - Bedford to Kai Locksley after a Locksley scramble

3. Tyrone Swoopes once again won the day among the QBs. Jerrod Heard struggled with his accuracy, although he did connect with Ty Templin for a long TD (against a back-up DB).

4. Not sure what to make of the punting game. Both Michael Dickson and Mitchell Becker can boom them but they're both very inconsistent. Dickson had at least one bad shank on the day. Becker was a little better overall.

5. Holton Hill was suited up but I didn't see him getting any work.

6. Tim Cole wasn't even suited up.

7. Dalton Santos was getting some work with the third-team defense. They're obviously bringing him along slowly but he was at least out there working.

8. DeAndre McNeal actually got a look as a punt returner ... all 240 pounds of him.

9. Speaking of McNeal, he's been very impressive. He won his battle in the bull in the ring drill (I believe it was against DeShon Elliott, who came up hobbled), and McNeal had a nice catch and run in scrimmage action.

10. Charles Omenihu got his butt chewed a bit by the coaches for his effort in 1-on-1 blocking drills (also against McNeal). The next time around, Omenihu was much better and it was a push. The coaches are staying on Omenihu quite a bit.

11. No player felt the wrath of the coaches more than Cecil Cherry. He was getting chewed out on damn near every play, either for pre-snap errors or for mistakes during the actual play.

12. Armanti Foreman appeared to tweak something (knee/ankle maybe?) but he returned to action later in the day so he seems to be fine.

13. Shwan Watson was working with Kai Locksley on a few mechanical things, including keeping the ball held high while focusing on footwork drills. Locksley will miss his mark by a good margin every once in a while, but he's been pretty good overall. He delivered two really good throws on back-to-back plays in scrimmage work.

14. Tyrone Swoopes' arm strength is so much better than every other QB on campus. The ball just jumps off Swoopes' hand when he throws it. The other guys aren't even in his league if we're talking pure arm strength.

15. Too many drops by the WRs, including drops by Dorian Leonard on back-to-back plays. Damn near every WR on the roster fought the ball some today.

16. Peter Jinkens with a nice lick on Kirk Johnson in 1-on-1 tackling drills to force a fumble.

17. Tommie Robinson was really getting on his big backs in 1-on-1 goal line drills. Both Chris Warren and D'Onta Foreman tried to go around the LB rather than go through him, which had Robinson fired up. He made them line right back up and do it again.

18. Couldn't see much in the bull in the ring drill because the players were obstructing my view, but based on the reactions of the team, the defense won most of the battles.

19. Really like what I see from Patrick Vahe, who did well in 1-on-1 blocking drills. He really does a good job of holding his ground.

20. Ryan Newsome has some wheels. He blew by Dylan Haines in 1-on-1s and just missed making a diving catch for a long TD.

21. Marcus Johnson dropped one ball that he probably should have caught in some traffic, but he bounced back to make a couple nice grabs, including a leaping catch over Adrian Colbert.

22. Malik Jefferson continues to run with the 1s. So does John Burt. Jefferson had what would have been a sack early in scrimmage work. Burt had a pretty quiet day compared to Friday.

I really don't see why so many people are down on Swoops, I mean if you look at the film sometimes Watson made him look like a top 25 passer and other times the poor oline play made him look like a sophomore on a bad team. But he's a kid in a Charile Strong offseason program I don't see how anyone would doubt at least "some" improvement.
Last regime = maybe
Strong = development

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT