ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Taylor is returning

wow! Great, thought Taylor had lost his friggin mind in jumping to NBA.

Word -- new coach has done an exceptional job of developing guards.

Last edited:
Reactions: utisdabomb12
Very, very pleased with this development! I think Taylor can make some big improvements to his game under Shaka.

Taylor will be better under Shaka, because Shaka's style of play, better suits his game. Yet I still can't get excited about his return, until I actually see something different from him.

Taylor will be better under Shaka, because Shaka's style of play, better suits his game. Yet I still can't get excited about his return, until I actually see something different from him.

Gotta agree with this. Unless Shaka can teach him to shoot, I'm not too excited about him staying. Dude needs to be shooting 100 3-pointers a day, every single day, until next season. He's a liability on the floor as long as he's not a 3 point threat.

Gotta agree with this. Unless Shaka can teach him to shoot, I'm not too excited about him staying. Dude needs to be shooting 100 3-pointers a day, every single day, until next season. He's a liability on the floor as long as he's not a 3 point threat.
I agree and strongly disagree. Yes he needs to work on his shot, and yes his decision making. But he was the quickest player on the court in every game I saw last season. You can teach the other things, but not quickness. This is the perfect example of a guy who needs a 3rd and 4th year to develop his game. He may not make it, but he's got loads of potential. This is definitely a plus for year 1 of Smart.

I agree and strongly disagree. Yes he needs to work on his shot, and yes his decision making. But he was the quickest player on the court in every game I saw last season. You can teach the other things, but not quickness. This is the perfect example of a guy who needs a 3rd and 4th year to develop his game. He may not make it, but he's got loads of potential. This is definitely a plus for year 1 of Smart.

Yep.

Reactions: winchman
Yes it's a plus, I'm just not very excited about it. If he hasn't learned how to shoot by now, I don't have high hopes of him ever learning. Maybe at least Shaka can improve his decision making, but I'm not gettin my hopes up on that either. Yeah his quickness is nice. Still think he'll cause problems by the defense sagging back off of him since they're not worried about him shooting.

Have faith Metcalf. There are plenty of nba players that developed their shot once they got into the league. You can succeed in college being a 1 trick pony as long as you excel at what you do. Blake Griffin was an example of this. The last couple of years Blake has developed his midrange jumper to complement his freakish dunking ability.

That is true GF. There are plenty of ppl who develop their shot later on. I guess I just don't get what's so hard about it. Why does it take so long? I only played basketball one season in high school, mainly because we played in 3 straight football state championship games. By the time we were done with football, basketball season was halfway over. So I wasn't any good at all in basketball. It wasn't until I moved to Austin after high school that I started playing a lot of basketball. Playing at Dottie Jordan park, or the UT outside courts two or three times a week, it didn't take long until I was raining 3s like my hero Travis Mays. I mean when I started I was always the last guy picked. Once I started hittin 3s like crazy, I became one of the first guys picked every time. This happened in like 6 months, playing two or three times a week. I guess I just cannot fathom how you can play your entire life, focus on basketball through HS instead of football, move on into college playing basketball literally all the time, with better coaching, and freakin STILL can't shoot to save your own life. I literally had to teach myself how to shoot. I'm sorry I just don't get it. It's really not hard.

I guess I just cannot fathom how you can play your entire life, focus on basketball through HS instead of football, move on into college playing basketball literally all the time, with better coaching, and freakin STILL can't shoot to save your own life.

What I can't understand is how some of our players have gotten worse at shooting by coming here. Some of these guys could actually shoot in HS. WTF was Barnes doing?

Oh well, it's water under the dam, as Stoops would say.

Jeff Eisenberg:

"So with Jernard Jarreau transferring, Washington has no frontcourt players and only three scholarship players returning next season."

We open with Washington in China. Needless to say, they've had quite the offseason.

Jeff Eisenberg:

"So with Jernard Jarreau transferring, Washington has no frontcourt players and only three scholarship players returning next season."

We open with Washington in China. Needless to say, they've had quite the offseason.

Wow. Worse than KSU's. What's that about?

What baffles me is how some pros cant hit a freethrow to save their lives. I dont like the hack-a-whoever strategy, although i understand why it is done but all you have to do is hit some freethrows and it stops.

I have a feeling Taylor will show some improvement next year. I mean.......by default.....you'd have to. Ha!

The Longhorns have only worked out as a team six times since Shaka Smart took over April 3, but sophomore point guard Isaiah Taylor already notices a big difference.

“From these past couple of workouts there has been a lot of energy in the gym, a lot of positive vibes, and I think that’s what our team needs,” Taylor said. “These last couple of weeks this coaching staff has given us a lot of confidence. That’s what we were lacking last year.”

BLH: No shock there.

Taylor said practices are all about speed and energy, and the staff is more than willing to showcase what they preach.

“Sometimes they’re more energetic than us,” Taylor said. They’re throwing balls all over the place. They’re sprinting from drill to drill. Their energy helps us.”

In just a few practices, Taylor said the team’s tempo has been much faster. Texas is pushing the ball up the floor, something it did infrequently in 2014-15 under former head coach Rick Barnes. Last season, the Longhorns averaged 18.6 seconds a possession (202nd fastest nationally). The Rams averaged 16.8 seconds a possession (38th fastest nationally).

It’s that speed Taylor feels will help Texas next year.

“We’re going to play and up-and-down game,” Taylor said. “I think that benefits me and benefits a lot of guys on the team. I think we can really showcase our talent."

BLH: Which is the same thing I said prior to the start of last season, that an up-tempo game would better showcase Taylor's talent, and it would be better for the team...that and the press. It gives me hope. I also look forward to improved fan support.

Last edited:
Don't like the coach.

Yeah, I guessed that much. I was just wondering if there was some major precipitating event(s) that someone was aware of. I don't know a ton about Lorenzo Romar, other than that he seems to be a much better recruiter than tactician, but I thought he had the reputation of being a "players' coach." Evidently not with his current group, at least.

The Longhorns have only worked out as a team six times since Shaka Smart took over April 3, but sophomore point guard Isaiah Taylor already notices a big difference.

“From these past couple of workouts there has been a lot of energy in the gym, a lot of positive vibes, and I think that’s what our team needs,” Taylor said. “These last couple of weeks this coaching staff has given us a lot of confidence. That’s what we were lacking last year.”

BLH: No shock there.

Taylor said practices are all about speed and energy, and the staff is more than willing to showcase what they preach.

“Sometimes they’re more energetic than us,” Taylor said. They’re throwing balls all over the place. They’re sprinting from drill to drill. Their energy helps us.”

In just a few practices, Taylor said the team’s tempo has been much faster. Texas is pushing the ball up the floor, something it did infrequently in 2014-15 under former head coach Rick Barnes. Last season, the Longhorns averaged 18.6 seconds a possession (202nd fastest nationally). The Rams averaged 16.8 seconds a possession (38th fastest nationally).

It’s that speed Taylor feels will help Texas next year.

“We’re going to play and up-and-down game,” Taylor said. “I think that benefits me and benefits a lot of guys on the team. I think we can really showcase our talent."

BLH: Which is the same thing I said prior to the start of last season, that an up-tempo game would better showcase Taylor's talent, and it would be better for the team...that and the press. It gives me hope. I also look forward to improved fan support.

Love it!

I think the fan support will come. We've never had great support for basketball, but in all fairness, Barnes ran a lot of fans off, including me. This will be a much more entertaining brand of basketball, so hopefully the fans will respond to it. Myself, I'm still in shock. I still have to slap myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. Shaka has been my dream coach for a while. Did we really get him??? Yeah I'm all in f*ckers! Hell yeah!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT