ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Kudos to PK, but what about 2023?)

I'm not sure that's enough time to fix what he needs to fix. The entire mental side of the game, his knowledge of the offense and his ability to make progressions beyond a first read are all on the table as things that need improvement.
Is there a question on his intelligence level being able/not able to grasp, use and adapt to college level play? Not meant as a slam - just keep reading about him ‘needs lot of work on the mental side’ sort of comments on here - posters and staff.

Deer Hunter has an 86 on rotten tomatoes critics level. Seems like many others agree with this hot take of mine.

Upon its release, The Deer Hunter received acclaim from critics, who considered it the best American epic since Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather.[42][72][73] The film was praised for its depiction of realistic working-class settings and environment; Cimino's direction; the performances of De Niro, Walken, Streep, Savage, Dzundza and Cazale; the symphonic shifts of tone and pacing in moving from America to Vietnam; the tension during the Russian roulette scenes; and the themes of American disillusionment.[74] The film holds an approval rating of 86% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 127 reviews, with an average score of 8.60/10. The consensus reads: "Its greatness is blunted by its length and one-sided point of view, but the film's weaknesses are overpowered by Michael Cimino's sympathetic direction and a series of heartbreaking performances from Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep, and Christopher Walken".[75] On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 86 out of 100 based on reviews from 18 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".[76]

Is there a question on his intelligence level being able/not able to grasp, use and adapt to college level play? Not meant as a slam - just keep reading about him ‘needs lot of work on the mental side’ sort of comments on here - posters and staff.

Black Woman What GIF by iOne Digital

Good post. I think Worthy would be helped with more creativity from his coach and attempts to get him the ball more in space. That short throw into the flat on Saturday that netted six yards should probably have been called two or three times per game, along with other ways to get him the ball beyond just vertical routes that have so often been an emphasis.
You know what else would help Worthy? Not drop passes, not get pushed off your route so easily, learn out to track a deep ball, and not show your frustrations on the field and show up your QB.

Ewers has not been great. No doubt about it. But Worthy hasn’t helped on many occasions. If he sees himself as elite and a top NFL WElR, he need to look in the mirror and fix is deficiencies.

Reactions: Universal Horn
You know what else would help Worthy? Not drop passes, not get pushed off your route so easily, learn out to track a deep ball, and not show your frustrations on the field and show up your QB.

Ewers has not been great. No doubt about it. But Worthy hasn’t helped on many occasions. If he sees himself as elite and a top NFL WElR, he need to look in the mirror and fix is deficiencies.
He's also been wide ass open countless times and not had a ball hit him in stride.

Good post. I think Worthy would be helped with more creativity from his coach and attempts to get him the ball more in space. That short throw into the flat on Saturday that netted six yards should probably have been called two or three times per game, along with other ways to get him the ball beyond just vertical routes that have so often been an emphasis.
Agree, more creativity in bunches or slot would be good because until he gets stronger, he needs a safety or LB on him that he can fly past. We won't out physical them, but they have to first catch him to be physical. Of course on Saturday, why do anything different when RB1 is getting almost 10 yds per carry.

First article from the staff giving PK props I can recall, this is what happens when you have a narrative following you, nobody really wants to give you credit. This whole site has done it. The first good performance the D had, the Deep Dig gave 100% of the credit to Gary Patterson and didn't even mention PK's name.

Then a few bad performances and all we talked about was PK. Got good again and it was "I guess the staff is listening to Gary". You won't find 1 line even close to giving him props all year long mostly waiting for a screw up to blame him for. I don't know why he is the whipping boy but it's nice to show some appreciation.

Reactions: Horn19
Not quite.

If nothing else, you returned Overshown.
I would say that Sorrell returning gives more hope for the pass rush than what Overshown gave for the LB corp. I thought Jett Bush was going to need to be a real contributor and Ovie would need to be all confernece going into the season. Definitely need to find an LBer in the portal if Ford leaves and lock in Hill and hope he is ready to contribute. Might need get a DTD level contributor regardless. But honestly someone from the Gbenda and has to step up and make that level of contribution anyways. But Broughton, Collins, Murphy ans Sorrell leave me way more confident in the DL going into next season than either level going into this season.

First article from the staff giving PK props I can recall, this is what happens when you have a narrative following you, nobody really wants to give you credit. This whole site has done it. The first good performance the D had, the Deep Dig gave 100% of the credit to Gary Patterson and didn't even mention PK's name.

Then a few bad performances and all we talked about was PK. Got good again and it was "I guess the staff is listening to Gary". You won't find 1 line even close to giving him props all year long mostly waiting for a screw up to blame him for. I don't know why he is the whipping boy but it's nice to show some appreciation.
I've given PK credit all season. It's actually been a running joke because so many people have wanted to credit Patterson for everything that has been good.

I would say that Sorrell returning gives more hope for the pass rush than what Overshown gave for the LB corp. I thought Jett Bush was going to need to be a real contributor and Ovie would need to be all confernece going into the season. Definitely need to find an LBer in the portal if Ford leaves and lock in Hill and hope he is ready to contribute. Might need get a DTD level contributor regardless. But honestly someone from the Gbenda and has to step up and make that level of contribution anyways. But Broughton, Collins, Murphy ans Sorrell leave me way more confident in the DL going into next season than either level going into this season.
I had a lot more confidence in the DL going into this season than I likely will going into next.

Reactions: darrenj
How'd he ever win 10+ straight for a decade...
Because Mack was a very good Head Coach who especially excelled in 3 areas: recruiting, game management and empowering FG kickers to kick with confidence. Mack is the 2nd best Head Coach in UT Football history.

But Mack presided over blowing Big 12 Titles in ’01, ‘02, ‘06 and ‘08, was curb-stomped by OU twice and made the perhaps the most colossally dumb strategic decision in CFB ever when, with Saban-envy, he scrapped the passing-spread O for the NFL, QB under center O, before the ’10 season.

At that time Texas lacked the O-linemen, physical culture and QB to play the NFL, deep dropback pass, “downhill running game” O. That Mack decision ruined Garrett Gilbert (who was decidedly suited for the Greg Davis/Colt McCoy passing spread O) and led to the ruination of Texas Longhorn Football, the latter still wandering in the wilderness of mediocrity after almost 13 seasons.

Last edited:
Because Mack was a very good Head Coach who especially excelled in 3 areas: recruiting, game management and empowering FG kickers to kick with confidence. Mack is the 2nd best Head Coach in UT Football history.

But he presided over blowing Big 12 Titles in ’01, ‘02, ‘06 and ‘08, was curb-stomped by OU twice and made the most colossally dumb strategic decisions ever when, with Saban-envy, he scrapped the passing-spread O for the NFL, QB under center O, before the ’10 season. Texas lacked the O-linemen, physical culture and QB to play the NFL, deep dropback pass, “downhill running game” O. That decision ruined Garrett Gilbert (who was decidedly suited for the Greg Davis/Colt McCoy passing spread O) and led to the ruination of Longhorn Football, still wandering in the wilderness of mediocrity after almost 13 seasons.

Oh, he blew titles, but he typically beat bad teams.

For the record, I've got word that Texas has one player already lined up in the Portal.

Worthy will be vilified if he leaves, but the likely incoming player will be celebrated for doing the exact same thing.

It's funny how confirmation bias plays a role in how we perceive things.

Even with poor quarterback play, Worthy leads the Big 12 in touchdown receptions... by two.
Worthy has caused much of the "poor quarterback play" as of late. 46 catches for 614 yds on 89 targets is not getting the job done as a WR1 in this offense molded specifically for WR's like him. Put Isaiah Neyor in his shoes and he finishes with a 1,000 yd season. X lost us the TCU game from dropped passes and extremely poor effort on multiple catchable balls. He even gave up on seemingly half his routes. The separation and want-to is not there this year

For the record, I've got word that Texas has one player already lined up in the Portal.

Worthy will be vilified if he leaves, but the likely incoming player will be celebrated for doing the exact same thing.

It's funny how confirmation bias plays a role in how we perceive things.
Worthy is a fabulous talent, should be a top 2 round pick in the draft if playing to his ability. However, it’s stunning how poorly he has played this season and equally stunning how ineffective Sark and the WR Coach have been in coaching Worthy up in the basic imperatives of becoming a great WR:

- CATCH most everything.
- Keep your head quiet when running your route so you can clearly see the football.
- Adjust your route to go directly to the football.
- Run slants & crossing routes aggressively & fearlessly

Reactions: Diego58
Where Eagles Dare didn't make the list? Forget about it?

Since the list is "your" favorites, no one can argue that you are wrong but can merely make different choices. But still.

I’m wondering the same thing. Hope I’m wrong. Agree that the extra reps for bowl game will help. But he’s got some serious progress to make. Pulling for the guy.

Reactions: Texasgolong
He's also been wide ass open countless times and not had a ball hit him in stride.
No argument there. My point is that he hasn't been perfect or close to it. Glass houses and all.
I realize in this the day and age of everyone looking out for themselves that being objective, self aware, and a great teammate aren't priorities anymore, so I'm not surprised by any of this.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT