ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: Sarkisian's youth movement on his staff...

Maybe I'm an outlier, but 2020 was a serious eye opener for me in terms of how far this team is from being championship ready. We had major deficiencies in talent. In terms of continuity we had players adjusting yet again to new coordinators and schemes. And we clearly had an entrenched culture where some kids just weren't going to give it 100%.

I think it's entirely possible for us to be improved in all 3 areas next year and still only win 7, but we'd need to do it in a way that shows progress in those 3 areas. I think our talent will be better, but a lot of it will be young/inexperienced talent so it may not quite be enough to get more wins. Stability has to be better, as we'll be in our second year of the Sark offense and PK defense. And culture should be better, with the amount of turnover we're seeing in the roster.

So at this point my expectation is that it's very possible that - even if Sark is the guy - we'll end up at 7 wins next year. If that happens but we see a foundation being laid in terms of talent, continuity and culture, then I'll frankly be pretty satisfied with the direction of the program.
That's a very self-aware post. I think you're an outlier.

7-5 is an utter disaster next year. 7-5 should always be an utter disaster at the University of Texas.

It also means Ewers isn't who we think he is which leaves us still looking for a qb post McCoy.

That's a very self-aware post. I think you're an outlier.
That's a very kind assessment, thanks!

I think at this point we are all in on Sark, and now Ewers, for at least the next 2 years. I find I'm happier when I keep my hopes high and my expectations low. So maybe it's less self aware than a compensating mechanism.

Anyway, here's to another year of fun with the OB family!

7-5 is an utter disaster next year. 7-5 should always be an utter disaster at the University of Texas.

It also means Ewers isn't who we think he is which leaves us still looking for a qb post McCoy.
Does it automatically mean that with Ewers, who has yet to really play at this level?

Reactions: Rickstacopy
That's a very kind assessment, thanks!

I think at this point we are all in on Sark, and now Ewers, for at least the next 2 years. I find I'm happier when I keep my hopes high and my expectations low. So maybe it's less self aware than a compensating mechanism.

Anyway, here's to another year of fun with the OB family!
My new favorite poster!

Reactions: styrbjorn
Does it automatically mean that with Ewers, who has yet to really play at this level?
Name me the last qb that went 7-5 his first year as a starter and then made waves there after. Please no teams like Utah State, or Illinois. Big boy schools. Aranda took a team from 2 wins to 12. If Sark and Ewers are going to be "the guy", 7-5 isn't going to cut it next year.

If we want to go 5-7 and 7-5, we can go hire Charlie Strong again for much cheaper..... or a multitude of other coaches.

Name me the last qb that went 7-5 his first year as a starter and then made waves there after. Please no teams like Utah State, or Illinois. Big boy schools. Aranda took a team from 2 wins to 12. If Sark and Ewers are going to be "the guy", 7-5 isn't going to cut it next year.

If we want to go 5-7 and 7-5, we can go hire Charlie Strong again for much cheaper..... or a multitude of other coaches.

I mean... I can't figure out how this team didn't go 7-5 this year. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Does a guy like Kyler count?

It don't really look that good, unless 5-7 is the bar we're comparing it to.

Most Texas fans would view 7-5 as trash, right or wrong.
Honestly the only way he gets away with 7-5 or less is if it is a complete youth movement on both sides of the ball and even then the losses save Bama we better be really competitive in them like one score or less.

With a few names off the list and a few more names in the Portal, here's an updated look at my personal Top 25 available players in the Portal going into the first week of 2022.

Wondering where Caleb goes on this list

Honestly the only way he gets away with 7-5 or less is if it is a complete youth movement on both sides of the ball and even then the losses save Bama we better be really competitive in them like one score or less.
Yeah, it would need to be one hell of a competitive 7-5.

So we are knocking Banks for volunteering to play RT in an All Star game and practice, when he was the only kid to volunteer to play RT and every other kid said, “naw I play LT and don’t want to give it a try”?

Im not even arguing that he did or didn’t struggle and don’t pretend to be an OL guru. Having said that, I’m pretty sure the footwork is different, the drop is different, and the angles are different. He did all of this in real time, against the best players in the nation.

Was he not supposed to struggle a little or have any issues in the pass game? I would expect he would have and did.

I don’t know that it indicates anything in regards to his future capabilities to play OT or not.

Seems like unnecessary drama for the sake of starting drama and board discussion.

Reactions: cooleyo
So we are knocking Banks for volunteering to play RT in an All Star game and practice, when he was the only kid to volunteer to play RT and every other kid said, “naw I play LT and don’t want to give it a try”?

Is he really being knocked for his volunteering or is he being critiqued based on some fairly narrow detailing against elite talent?

Some folks make it sound like his volunteering to play right tackle is worthy of a free pass against any critique and I simply would push back against this get out of any jail scenario.

Either we can have a nuanced conversation or no critiques are allowed.

Reactions: bevobrett
@Ketchum The most shocking part of this article is that somehow your twins are already seven years old! Shocking that they are that old already!

Reactions: J Tull
when has 7 ever been ok around here?
Exactly. Just because he sucked at his job much more than even naysayers predicted, doesn’t mean we reset the bar he just lowered to help him out.

hug-golden-girls.gif
For the record I could care less if you have any grammar issues I pay for content and could care less about it. Keep up the good work.

He was very good in the running game.
Banks was also playing RT for the first time. Apparently he offered as there were only LTs at the Game. He struggled with putting his right hand down, apparently was not comfortable, which makes sense as Banks has played LT from his first game as a starter.

That comes from elsewhere (a site that won't be mentioned) and a person who was at the practices. Personally I wish he had stayed at LT for the practices and game. He did say he improved as the week went on.

Doesn't make criticisms off limits by any means but other people and sites have said he played well in the game overall, and it's certainly tough going against the best HS pass rushers and edge players at a new position on the other side where everything he did was reversed from what he had always done before in HS.

I guess it's 'nuanced' more than 'above criticism'. JMO. There are sound analysts and people who know football that think if he works hard on the weights and trains under someone who knows OL this Spring, he could start in the fall at LT. It's obviously risky to count on a true Freshman, but Connor Williams did it pretty well.

Edit: did not see the post above saying the same thing.

Last edited:
I dunno. I don't see many listing it in the top 10
Another deserving song from Sticky Fingers, along with 'Moonlight Mile' and 'Wild Horses' which made your list . The guitar and sax solos at the end are outstanding, particularly the sax (although some of Richard's best guitar work). Great song, but I realize you only get ten on the list.

Talking about 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking'.

Banks was also playing RT for the first time. Apparently he offered as there were only LTs at the Game. He struggled with putting his right hand down, apparently was not comfortable, which makes sense as Banks has played LT from his first game as a starter.

That comes from elsewhere (a site that won't be mentioned) and a person who was at the practices. Personally I wish he had stayed at LT for the practices and game. He did say he improved as the week went on.

Doesn't make criticisms off limits by any means but other people and sites have said he played well in the game overall, and it's certainly tough going against the best HS pass rushers and edge players at a new position on the other side where everything he did was reversed from what he had always done before in HS.

I guess it's 'nuanced' more than 'above criticism'. JMO. There are sound analysts and people who know football that think if he works hard on the weights and trains under someone who knows OL this Spring, he could start in the fall at LT. It's obviously risky to count on a true Freshman, but Connor Williams did it pretty well.

Edit: did not see the post above saying the same thing.

a. Yes, he was playing right tackle for the first time. That has clearly been established by everyone that wants any analysis from this week that isn't remotely positive muted and wished away. It's apparently a free pass of sorts.

b. Maybe all of this comes down to the fact that some of us don't believe his best position at the next level is going to be tackle, let alone left tackle. Watch his footwork in one on one drills from last week and tell me you think he's a left tackle. If Texas had anything but dead weight at the position right now, this wouldn't even be a conversation, but we're reached a point that with the need being so glaring that some are going to wish his fit there into existence, making him one of the first linemen in history who will apparently find the more difficult task of protecting from the left side his more "natural" position.

c. He did play well in the game. I do still believe he is a five star and I am still the first in the industry that called him as much.

d. I'm not going to lie to you, though. I believe other sites flat out do so in an attempt to tell you what you want to hear all the time. There's definitely a cottage industry that exists in doing exactly that. Go there and they'll tell you Texas is about to flip everyone... land everyone...

e. Watch Tommy Brockermeyer's feet at the tackle position and then watch Banks. Tell me they are the same thing.

I mean... I can't figure out how this team didn't go 7-5 this year. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Does a guy like Kyler count?
I can't figure it out either. Proving to me that 7-5 for next year is still an unmitigated disaster and lets us know Ewers will never be "the guy" at Texas.

No, he doesn't count. He played in 8 games, not even started 8 games. He threw a total of total of 121 passes. You had to dig deep for that one b/c I doubt there are any more even out there even if I give you that one. That whole thing at Aggy was a debacle with him.

I'll stand by my statement b/c of what historical numbers tell us (kind of like you use with the star rankings). If Ewers goes 7-5 next year, he's not the guy leading us back to 2000's like results.

I can't figure it out either. Proving to me that 7-5 for next year is still an unmitigated disaster and lets us know Ewers will never be "the guy" at Texas.

No, he doesn't count. He played in 8 games, not even started 8 games. He threw a total of total of 121 passes. You had to dig deep for that one b/c I doubt there are any more even out there even if I give you that one. That whole thing at Aggy was a debacle with him.

I'll stand by my statement b/c of what historical numbers tell us (kind of like you use with the star rankings). If Ewers goes 7-5 next year, he's not the guy leading us back to 2000's like results.
I didn't dig deep. I just tried to think of guys that flamed out in a first year and came back. He was an obvious one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT