ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Higdon we are taking 20 commits this year (sounds about right to me, maybe a couple more). Just a guess but this is what I'm thinking.

QB-2
RB-1
TE/FB-2
WR-3
OL-3

DL-4
LB-2
Safety-1
CB-2

So yeah. I think max we take on the O-line in recruiting is 4. Owens, Diesch, Delance, Cleveland, Allen, Hudson and Little are going to be priorities over the Anderson twins (as indicated by their 247 rankings).

Aim high, Strong.

Reactions: mikej042002
O-line numbers are going to be dependent on attrition IMO. Because with the numbers currently I can only see us taking 4 max (maybe only 3).

How does anyone watch the OL last season and think its ok to miss on all 8 offers that have committed?

Looking at the offensive line. After this year, we will have 13 O-lineman on scholarship. Say we take 4 more in the '16 class that will get us at 17 scholarship O-lineman. Unless there's attrition I just can't see us taking more than 3 or 4 in the '16 class. 18 o-lineman on scholarship seems excessive, but I'm not real sure how many o-lineman are normally on scholarship.

SRs (Doyle, Flowers, Hutchins)
JRs (Hughes, Hodges, Perkins)
SO (James, Nickelson, Raulerson)
FR (Thomas, Rodriguez, Anderson, Williams, Cuney, Vahe, Major)

How does anyone watching the joke that is aggy football, going into a season with 1 mediocre QB, think they're going to hold any recruiting momentum when they'll be a .500 team at best, and the recipient of several more ugly blowout losses. Strong already out recruited you pathetic losers after going 6-7 in his FIRST year. Aggy doesn't have the coach, stature, or location to keep recruiting well as they keep getting worse. Aggy will always be aggy. If you haven't gotten used to mediocrity by now, you got problems. That's all that's in your future.

How does anyone watching the joke that is aggy football, going into a season with 1 mediocre QB, think they're going to hold any recruiting momentum when they'll be a .500 team at best, and the recipient of several more ugly blowout losses. Strong already out recruited you pathetic losers after going 6-7 in his FIRST year. Aggy doesn't have the coach, stature, or location to keep recruiting well as they keep getting worse. Aggy will always be aggy. If you haven't gotten used to mediocrity by now, you got problems. That's all that's in your future.

Dumb. Look at the QB'S in Austin. Don't start your post with a team weakness. Pretty sure all Horns with a functioning brain would take Allen & Murray over Swoops, Heard, Locksley, Merrick, etc.. You may disagree.

The more I look at the roster and available recruits, I think we actually may take more than 2 LB commits. Not sure where that will trade off though.

Dumb. Look at the QB'S in Austin. Don't start your post with a team weakness. Pretty sure all Horns with a functioning brain would take Allen & Murray over Swoops, Heard, Locksley, Merrick, etc.. You may disagree.

Lol. No it's dumb to count Murray as one of your QBs. You have Allen, that's it, and he sucks. Our QBs will get better, but at least we can play defense until they do. You're in for a long season, followed by more of that great aggy tradition, decommit season. Yet you dumbass aggys still run your mouths like you matter in the CFB world. Lol

Lol. No it's dumb to count Murray as one of your QBs. You have Allen, that's it, and he sucks. Our QBs will get better, but at least we can play defense until they do. You're in for a long season, followed by more of that great aggy tradition, decommit season. Yet you dumbass aggys still run your mouths like you matter in the CFB world. Lol

I was pretty sure you would disagree. Maybe Swoops will figure it out. You seem confident.

To give you perspective. Connor Williams, Brandon Hodges, Garrett Thomas, Patrick Vahe, and Ronnie Major are all higher rated (per 247) than Anderson twins. Like I said, there's not much talent on the O-line in Texas. Best to look out of state.

No offense bomb, but WHY did Texas offer them if they didn't really want them and was looking out of state anyway??? I'm not saying its the end of the world and we very well might sign better players when it is all said and done. But Texas offered them for a reason. The recruiting ended well last year (on paper) how do we know it will be the same this year? Texas should be like Bama, lsu, fl state, when we offer kids jump on it.

No offense bomb, but WHY did Texas offer them if they didn't really want them and was looking out of state anyway??? I'm not saying its the end of the world and we very well might sign better players when it is all said and done. But Texas offered them for a reason. The recruiting ended well last year (on paper) how do we know it will be the same this year? Texas should be like Bama, lsu, fl state, when we offer kids jump on it.

The guy is in complete spin mode. He is known for this. There is no explanation for why he types the stuff he does sometimes. Bedford even tweeted that they will not rush offers and bomb tries to act like these offers don't mean anything. Its ridiculous! Texas has missed on most of their OL offers and he thinks its ok....

How does anyone watch the OL last season and think its ok to miss on all 8 offers that have committed?
It's not a good thing, it's not the end of the world. February is when it matters. Texas also offered kids that were already committed...The underdeveloped, physically speaking... OL of last year needs to make big strides this next season. After camps, etc... I start to pay attention to recruiting from September - NSD. It's impossible to say who ends up where until then.

OL are a different bread, it's often better to get on them early and win them over. I'm sure they'll get 3-4 guys they need, but it's gonna be touch and go until the OL produces.

I was hoping to land Owens, that is the main wan I had hope for at this point.+

This time last year Aggy was bragging about having the No.1 class in the nation, it finished with an average of around 15th...

Last edited:

1-Just because you offer doesn't mean you actively pursue. Matter of fact, we just offered the Anderson twins a couple weeks ago (like I said above they are behind several other targets on the offensive line). We've offered Felipe Franks, Woody Barrett, Brandon Stephens, Jordan Humphrey, Tre Nixon, AJ Brown, Donte Coleman, Parker Boudreaux, Brandon Bowen, Prince Sammons, Joseph Jackson, Derrick Brown, Parrish Cobb......all guys we've had little to no contact with. That's recruiting now. You have to offer guys or they get pissed, and then you have no chance if you miss on your other options. We did the same thing with Ryan Newsome last year. We stopped recruiting him for about a month and once we needed another WR we started to actively recruit him.

2-Of course Texas offered them for a reason. Just like Texas has offered like 80 other recruits and counting. Do you expect Texas to take 80 commits? That's not how recruiting works now, you have placement offers in case you miss on other recruits.

3-I have no clue how recruiting will end this year, but I really don't care until about late November. Commits this early really mean nothing (something I've come to realize over the past few years).

4-As for O-line recruiting, I'm not worried at all because I don't think we are taking a big class. The small class and other needs means we may be limited in what we can take. Not to mention we already have a ton of scholarship offensive lineman currently on the roster.

The biggest misconception in recruiting is that an "offer" means you are actively pursuing someone. I tried to explain this to people last year with Ryan Newsome. Alabama offers like 800 billion recruits a year, do you think they are actively pursuing all of them? This is why I laugh at aggys that get so excited over head to head, it's the most meaningless stat in recruiting. Alabama probably loses more head to heads than anyone in the country, do you think they care?

Last edited:
Wickline is getting owned and so is Strong.

Are they....................Unless you count Daylon Mack's re-commitment, the Andersons are the first players with offers from Charlie Strong to commit to A&M since the 2014 football season started.

well, I am gone for a week and come back to a board full of aggie retards on here. WTF happened, did this new format unban people or somebody just tired of taking out the trash and they just quit. It is sad this is no longer a LH board and this format has pretty much done me in. You guys have fun with it.

well, I am gone for a week and come back to a board full of aggie retards on here. WTF happened, did this new format unban people or somebody just tired of taking out the trash and they just quit. It is sad this is no longer a LH board and this format has pretty much done me in. You guys have fun with it.

They were all unbanned with the new format change, and I don't think MM has to power to ban them yet. He said he's talking to the admins. Once he gets the ability to ban back, he needs to really clean up this board. Best thing to do right now is just put them on ignore. It needs to be fixed soon because even the recruiting thread is now nothing but trolls. I'm right there with you though, if they aren't going to be banned there's plenty of other boards I post on. No sweat off my back.

As I watch more film of this '16 cycle I still feel about the same as I did a few months ago.

QBs are meh, RBs are meh, WRs are pretty good, TEs are decent, O-line is meh, D-line is spectacular, LBs are pretty damn good, secondary is good. Seems to me like the more elite prospects are on the defensive side of the ball. Not really impressed with the QB, RB or O-line depth in Texas for the '16 class.

Texas offers per position:
QB 11 with Shane Buechele committed 4 are uncommitted
All purpose back 1 Trayveon Williams uncommitted
RB 6 5 are uncommitted
WR 10 with Johnson and Hemphill committed 7 are uncommitted
TE 7 3 are uncommitted
OL 11 of those 4 are uncommitted
DE 6 5 of the 6 are uncommitted
DT 6 all 6 are uncommitted
CB 6 5 of the 6 are uncommitted
LB 5 with Demarco Boyd committed at Inside the other 4 uncommitted
S 3 all three uncommitted
ATH 1 Christian Wallace-uncommitted

Strong has issued 73 offers, as for OL, Owens said his offer was unexpected and he had hadn't spoke to the staff before it came, the Anderson twins weren't offered on Jr day, that offer didn't come until a couple weeks ago, Little has been a long time Aggy commit and he was offered by the previous staff, as for the other four instate OL, 2 are headed to Baylor and only one of those is big talent, one is likely headed to OU and the other is Delance whom I assume will pick Aggy if they have room. They have offered 3 OOS OL, one is committed to Georgia, the other two are uncommitted but I don't see them at Texas either.

Out of the offers on the table, TE and OL is where they haven't picked up an early commit and the kids are headed elsewhere... Let's panic. lol

Last edited:
As I watch more film of this '16 cycle I still feel about the same as I did a few months ago.

QBs are meh, RBs are meh, WRs are pretty good, TEs are decent, O-line is meh, D-line is spectacular, LBs are pretty damn good, secondary is good. Seems to me like the more elite prospects are on the defensive side of the ball. Not really impressed with the QB, RB or O-line depth in Texas for the '16 class.

I think the top end of the OL class is great in Little and Hudson, I like Delance and Owens a ton as well after that th depth falls off. I really like te Anderson's as potential guars and center I would not be as high if they were considered tackles. RBs are an average group outside of Cleveland the wr's are average however Duverny has potential to be special depending on how he developes as a WR and how he is used. The defensive side is deep and very talnted across the board.

1-Just because you offer doesn't mean you actively pursue. Matter of fact, we just offered the Anderson twins a couple weeks ago (like I said above they are behind several other targets on the offensive line). We've offered Felipe Franks, Woody Barrett, Brandon Stephens, Jordan Humphrey, Tre Nixon, AJ Brown, Donte Coleman, Parker Boudreaux, Brandon Bowen, Prince Sammons, Joseph Jackson, Derrick Brown, Parrish Cobb......all guys we've had little to no contact with. That's recruiting now. You have to offer guys or they get pissed, and then you have no chance if you miss on your other options. We did the same thing with Ryan Newsome last year. We stopped recruiting him for about a month and once we needed another WR we started to actively recruit him.

2-Of course Texas offered them for a reason. Just like Texas has offered like 80 other recruits and counting. Do you expect Texas to take 80 commits? That's not how recruiting works now, you have placement offers in case you miss on other recruits.

3-I have no clue how recruiting will end this year, but I really don't care until about late November. Commits this early really mean nothing (something I've come to realize over the past few years).

4-As for O-line recruiting, I'm not worried at all because I don't think we are taking a big class. The small class and other needs means we may be limited in what we can take. Not to mention we already have a ton of scholarship offensive lineman currently on the roster.

The biggest misconception in recruiting is that an "offer" means you are actively pursuing someone. I tried to explain this to people last year with Ryan Newsome. Alabama offers like 800 billion recruits a year, do you think they are actively pursuing all of them? This is why I laugh at aggys that get so excited over head to head, it's the most meaningless stat in recruiting. Alabama probably loses more head to heads than anyone in the country, do you think they care?

I absolutely do not think that we are taking 80 recruits...??.....The fact is they were offered and could have committed to Texas.

If we offer 100 OL's then they already know we are taking the first however many get on board. You dont offer and then tell them "we only offered not to make you mad in case so and so doesnt commit to us we will offer you"!!

Texas missed on these 2 OL...no BS....I hope Texas does great and gets better ones but Wickline thought these 2 were good enough to offer and take right now.

The Texas fans that keep saying we didnt want them are wrong. I dont know how they will turn out. I do know Wickline wanted them.

I absolutely do not think that we are taking 80 recruits...??.....The fact is they were offered and could have committed to Texas.

If we offer 100 OL's then they already know we are taking the first however many get on board. You dont offer and then tell them "we only offered not to make you mad in case so and so doesnt commit to us we will offer you"!!

Texas missed on these 2 OL...no BS....I hope Texas does great and gets better ones but Wickline thought these 2 were good enough to offer and take right now.

The Texas fans that keep saying we didnt want them are wrong. I dont know how they will turn out. I do know Wickline wanted them.

By this logic then we want 80 commits. That's not how recruiting works. You prioritize certain guys you've offered and don't prioritize other guys. The risk of offering a player is they may commit, but on the other hand if you want them down the line not offering them early could be a problem. I have no clue how badly Wickline wanted the Anderson twins. I do know they were offered after several other offensive line recruits. Again, just because you offer doesn't mean you want a take right now.

We've offered several players already that the staff doesn't want to commit right now (they are placement offers). I know that's hard to understand, but that's recruiting. The exact same thing happened with Ryan Newsome last year. We didn't want him to commit until late in the process, which is why we stopped recruiting him for nearly a month.

I think the top end of the OL class is great in Little and Hudson, I like Delance and Owens a ton as well after that th depth falls off. I really like te Anderson's as potential guars and center I would not be as high if they were considered tackles. RBs are an average group outside of Cleveland the wr's are average however Duverny has potential to be special depending on how he developes as a WR and how he is used. The defensive side is deep and very talnted across the board.
Hemphill is legit on the WR front and SEC schools are coming at him hard.... He's not necessarily elite. But if he's the only WR we take instate, I'm good. Johnson is a badass...

Reactions: utisdabomb12
Recruiting is a game, if you aren't playing the game you aren't recruiting.

Mack's biggest downfall is he didn't want to play the game at the end of his tenure. He offered and pushed for a commit, and he would normally get that commit. That's what screwed him over. You should always be looking to upgrade or find a better fit. Slow playing certain recruits is part of that game. We did it with Ryan Newsome last year, and I had no problem with it. Strong doesn't want early commits because he's always looking to upgrade and find better fits. This style of recruiting is risky, but that's big boy recruiting.

Good pickup for the aggys but a shame for the Anderson twins. We definitely would've taken them, they're good prospects. But the Riley kid was brainwashed early and grew up wanting to be an aggy so good for him realizing his lifelong dream. Hope he enjoys never winning anything.

We got a great OL haul last class. We'll keep working to get some players in here. Winning H2H recruiting battles are all the aggys ever have to celebrate anyway so let them have their fun. They won't do anything with them.

Reactions: TexExSpur
Strong finished very well with the last class, so I know he can recruit. I am not going to get worried about it at this point in time. I don't know if he will pull another top class going 6-7, but it will still likely be tops in the big 12.

Strong finished very well with the last class, so I know he can recruit. I am not going to get worried about it at this point in time. I don't know if he will pull another top class going 6-7, but it will still likely be tops in the big 12.

It won't be as good as last year's from a ranking perspective simply because it's going to be a smaller class.

Staying on the defensive recruits:

In addition to visiting DE/LB Erick Fowler of Manor yesterday, Scout saying UT went to see DE Mark Jackson of Cibolo Steele as well. They think the staff will see DE/LB Alton Robinson from Converse Judson today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT