ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
24/7 saying a staff member was at Trophy Club Byron Nelson this morning to see OL Kellen Diesch and DE Brandon Bowen.

Scout saying they expect an offer or two to go out "very soon."

Not much in terms of updates from Higdon. CB Eric Cuffee and DT Kendell Jones are getting visits and continue to look very good for us. S Chris Davis and CB Parish Cobb were also mentioned as visit targets. The staff is still visiting OT Jean Delance, the key will be getting him on campus which hasn't happened yet.

Guess MM hasn't received the ban power back yet, but this is getting kind of ridiculous. Another aggy on ignore though.

Scout saying they expect an offer or two to go out "very soon."
Per 24/7, Texas is supposed to see OL Chris Hughes (Killeen Harker Heights) and OL Tope Imade (Arlington Bowie) by end of day Friday. Good chance those are the offers that Scout was referencing.

Other stops made by the coaches (24/7):

-Coach Vaughn was at Spring High to see DT Bravvion Roy.

-Coach Traylor stopped by Tyler John Tyler to see DT Braylon Jones and 2017 WR Damion Miller.

Hey can Scholz or utisdabomb tell me what Hamm was saying in there chat today? IE: Brandon Jones, Eric Monroe, Hordan Elliot?

Texas offered OL Denzel Okafor tonight, I don't know much about him, but he holds some descent offers.

Last edited:
its getting pathetic how much aggys are ruining this board. Guys I appreciate all the recruiting info and I know a lot of us out there like me do as well. Keep it up, the trash will take itself out.

Texas offered OL Denzel Okafor tonight, I don't know much about him, but he holds some descent offers.

No idea how much Arkansas wants him, but they are a pretty good offer. I assume they want him as a guard.

Strong is getting his butt kicked in the state by players we really need like linemen. It is very disturbing,

Strong is getting his butt kicked in the state by players we really need like linemen. It is very disturbing,

First post. History tells us you are most likely an aggy.

Strong pulled in the #2 class in the state in 2014 (a month and a half on the job). He pulled in the #1 class in the state in 2015. But hey, Strong is getting his "butt kicked in the state".

Last edited:
Reactions: Godz40Acrez
As for Okafor, surprised Wickline didn't offer earlier.

Okafor isn't a polished player but he's got a great frame. Tons of length. IMO, he's a Wickline mold. A body that Wickline can mold how he wants.

Strong pulled in the #2 class in the state in 2014 (a month and a half on the job). He pulled in the #1 class in the state in 2015. But hey, Strong is getting his "butt kicked in the state".
I'd say you missed badly, DerpyAg.

punchself01.gif

No idea how much Arkansas wants him, but they are a pretty good offer. I assume they want him as a guard.
No clue, his 4 biggest offers came in this month. Arkansas, UCLA, Texas and OU. Sounds like one to watch unless he commits. Norvell visited him yesterday. He was being recruited by Jeff Banks and Jim Gush as well. Sounds like a descent fall back guy if they can land him.

Rivals has him as a deuce at 6'4" and a biscuit shy of 300.

Per Nike Dallas Combine back in March:
Okafor is a 6'3, 287-pounder rated as a low three-star prospect -- he's the No. 1197 prospect overall, the No. 66 offensive guard, and the No. 151 player in Texas. However, a more telling sign of his value to college coaches is an increasingly-expanding offer list that now includes OU, Arkansas, Kansas, Minnesota, TCU, Texas Tech, UCLA, and Washington.

Okafor ran a 5.45 40-yard dash at the Dallas Nike Combine in March that matched that of Owens at The Opening regional camp the following day. And based on his film and overall build, he has a powerful upper body that aids his punch at the point of attack.

Obviously Owens was Texas top target when uncommitted and they are looking for a similar prospect.

http://www.hudl.com/v/BfUbe Okafor

http://www.hudl.com/v/DNdW0 Owens and our QB commit

Notes on Denzel Okafor from Scout:

- [Greg Powers] UT is his 11th offer. I think the Horns are sitting pretty here. We just happened to be at Lewisville today checking out Okafor. He spoke VERY highly of UT.

- Okafor showed well enough today playing RT and LT that both UT and OU offered after seeing him. Both OL coaches were at his practice. What I really loved was his leadership. He was the leader on offense. After practice he addressed the team. Great stuff.

- Okafor is a solid 3-star in the Texas top 100 at No. 92 in the Scout rankings.

- [Gabe Brooks] Okafor is interesting. Today was my first time seeing him in-person. What stood out: length, length, length. There is a ton of space on his frame to add weight. He's almost an OT version of Charles Omenihu from that perspective. He looks a tad narrow, but that could possibly be remedied by adding the aforementioned weight, which he should be able to handle a lot of.

Last edited:
We may see another OL offer today in Tope Imade. http://www.hudl.com/v/E2G13I hope Texas offers and lands this kid!

Highlights from this week's HD Only:

- Early on the Longhorns went to check on players such as DE Erick Fowler, DE Alton Robinson, DE Mark Jackson, etc. They also visited and spent a great deal of time at the school of safety Brandon Jones. Jones was not aware Texas was going to see him yesterday but was very excited they were at the school. A couple who should see Texas in their schools on Thursday/Friday would be guys like CB Parrish Cobb, CB Eric Cuffee, and DT Kendell Jones.

- Texas was scheduled to see G Chris Owens and QB Shane Buechele earlier today. I know a lot of people have been in overdrive lately with the offensive line recruits committing left and right. All I can say is sometimes that could be a good thing based off who “some” of them are. I believe you could see a few more offensive line offers coming real soon

- S Deontay Anderson has talked to Strong several times and stays in touch with the Texas head coach. Anderson is a tremendous safety with an offer as well as Christian Wallace, Brandon Jones, and Eric Monroe. I believe the first three are the players to keep an eye on right now.

- OT Kellen Diesch and DE Brandon Bowen saw Texas come in earlier today. Both players are on the Texas list, and both have impressive things to say regarding the Longhorns. Diesch loves what Strong is doing right now with the program and thinks it’s a great situation at Texas. He believes Strong is building a dynamic staff that cares about kids and its making an impact on him. Bowen believes Texas has a very strong defense and that the head coach gets the best out of all his players. Both players should visit over the summer from what I understand.

- RB Trayveon Williams seems to love whoever he visits. TCU has always been up there and now he has Texas A&M at the top of his list tied with TCU. He also says that Oregon State is making a huge push, and he would be a perfect fit for the new look Texas offense. His recruitment will be interesting to see unfold. I am curious to see how it goes after his talk with Texas this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Godz40Acrez

Sorry but I gotta laugh @ the number 1 class in the state.

semantics... No.1 defensive class in the state...By a long-long-long ways. Defense wins championships, offense wins games. Hopefully we have a functioning line and QB to win some games. lol

Texas easily had the second best class in state on offense if you are hung up on the signing of KM. The Ags best recruit on offense is a WR from Arizona, but if you look at who each team signed, it's hard to argue the Ags have a vastly superior class on that side of the ball, overall.

Last edited:
Nobody cares about your dishonesty and delusions, aggy. We had the highest ranked class so suck it. And that was after you do nothings beating your chest about being way out in front this time last year. Then you whiffed on RB, LB and CB.

Nobody cares about your dishonesty and delusions, aggy. We had the highest ranked class so suck it. And that was after you do nothings beating your chest about being way out in front this time last year. Then you whiffed on RB, LB and CB.

I don't think we whiffed on RB I love Bussey and Bradford, I also don't think we whiffed on corner however the class is light. I think Elam will be very good but he's going to need a redshirt year. I will concede that I like Hill better though. LB is tough because we took numbers, I really like Moore and George but I also realize I have no idea how they are going to turn out. I think Durham ends up at WDE so I guess we'll see.

Kris Boyd and Holton Hill say hi. So do Malik Jefferson, Anthony Wheeler and Chris Warren. I will grant you Elam. Disagree on your RBs. I think they suck not that you use them anyway. You took warm bodies at LB. So don't talk trash about recruiting classes when those 3 spots in your class were severely lacking at best.

recruit10.png

I like Elam better than Boyd. I also like Bradford and Bussey better than all of your running backs. I like Warren but I think he is a guy that fits better in a down hill rushing attack not in the spread. I think his best position is linebacker.

I like Elam better than Boyd. I also like Bradford and Bussey better than all of your running backs. I like Warren but I think he is a guy that fits better in a down hill rushing attack not in the spread. I think his best position is linebacker.
Too much lulz to even comment.

Warren is bigger and more explosive than any back y'all took and one I'm glad we landed (Sumlin wanted him badly in the end). Bussey saved the position for y'all, but I would take all three of our RB recruits over the two Aggy landed. As for DB and LB, Aggy took 5 of each and Hill and Boyd (2 of the top 3 in the state) are better than anybody Aggy took at CB, not to mention Elliott to play SS whom Aggy wanted as well. Out of the 10, Dunning and Elam may be alright and Moore is the only LB that interest me.

Last edited:
Kris Boyd and Holton Hill say hi. So do Malik Jefferson, Anthony Wheeler and Chris Warren.

Add to that this shagster's compilation of a few shag recruiting posts from this time last year-

It's funny how recruiting plays out. Here's some posts about this time last year.

"Baylor commit ATH Louis Brown tweeted that he may come to the spring game."
"Damn, Tech landed the star Hawaiian DT Breiden Fehoko. They are putting together a nice class. Stidham and Fehoko are two players you build teams around. I for one welcome the recruiting success Big 12 teams are starting to enjoy, were still going to beat that ass."
"I believe English is Bruce Chamber's god son. He's probably safe."
"OB is saying Keivon Ramsey committed."
"According to rivals we only have one commit higher than a 3 star. dayum."
"Wheeler to Stillwater?"
"Should also be noted Lampkin visited Aggy yesterday. Bet he's aggy."
"I think Dormady is gonna be our QB this year. No one else even seems interested. He has a good arm."
"Probably don't lead for Newsome."

People need to forgot the Mack way. Mack is no longer here and his early recruiting evaluation fails cost him his job. Look back at Strong's recruiting history. The majority of his commits give their verbals in December and January,

Last edited:
Warren is bigger and more explosive than any back y'all took and one I'm glad we landed (Sumlin wanted him badly in the end). Bussey saved the position for y'all, but I would take all three of our RB recruits over the two Aggy landed. As for DB and LB, Aggy took 5 of each and Hill and Boyd (2 of the top 3 in the state) are better than anybody Aggy took at CB, not to mention Elliot whom Aggy wanted as well. Out of the 10, Dunning and Elam may be alright and Moore is the only LB that interest me.

Warren is not more explosive then Bradford. Sumlin wanted Warren becasue he wasn't sure he was getting Bussey, Warren was offered by us after Bussey committed to Tennessee. I don't take issue with anyone who likes Warren better, he's big physical and fast and I would have like to have had him becasue as a prospect physically he's elite and has a higher ceiling than any other back in the class aside from SoSo. My concern with huim is he isn't overly shifty and I don't think his acceleration to the hole is fast enough to be dominant in college. He has longer speed then a quick burst. As a corner prospect Elam is better then Boyd. We did want Elliot early on but he was offered after Dunning and Pryor had already committed. he will be a player for you guys though. I think Hill was the top corner mainly though because I liked his size better then Sheffield.

Its fine to disagree, tell me why?
You aggys' irrational penchant for claiming whoever you got is better than whoever t.u. got. Farmer better than Benson, McNeal better than Simms/VY, Elam better than Boyd, Bradford better than Warren, etc. etc. etc. Without fail. Without end. Every single year. Despite reality and rankings saying the opposite. Both of our RBs Warren and Johnson are ranked higher than Bradford. Both or our CBs Hill and Boyd are ranked higher than Elam. Yet your guys are better. mkay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT