ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
More notes from the road (24/7):

-Coach Traylor was in Athens to watch CB Travon Fuller who is currently committed to A&M.

-Coach Robinson was at Katy Taylor to see 2018 DE Max Wright, who already holds offers from Duke and Georgia.

-UT went to Bellaire Episcopal to see OL Gio Pancotti, 2017 OL Walker Little and 2017 DT Marvin Wilson.

-the staff also saw RB Kyle Porter of Katy.

Per 24/7, Coach Bedford was in Refugio today to see 2017 ATH Jaylon Mascorro.

He should be at UT's QB camp this summer.

Vahe is a good lineman, put him in the Mack recruits that are good. 2, I'm impressed.

Mack knows plenty about football and recruiting. He got lazy towards the end of his tenure, especially in recruiting. I could go into great detail on this if you like, it won't look good for your boy Mack. I'm grateful for everything Mack did for the program, but I speak the truth.
Mack is not my boy. It was time for him to go. I just am sick and tired of piling on and blame blame blame.. At some point this will be Strongs team and I will hold him as accountable as Mack was.

AGAIN it was time for Mack Brown to go. I just dont get the constant bashing. You say you never like Darius James? That puts you in the minority because every program in the top 50 wanted him...And if you are that damn good you are in the wrong profession. I get it you are a Longhorn fan and you will make every transfer, dismissal etc look like it was the best thing in the world. I love Texas too. I dont twist the truth though. That is what aggys do. Texas Longhorns are in a little funk but are on our way back. I dont like the constant turnover. It is not good for the team. Something is not smelling right but I dont know quite what it is. I hope Im wrong.

Hookem

Mack is not my boy. It was time for him to go. I just am sick and tired of piling on and blame blame blame.. At some point this will be Strongs team and I will hold him as accountable as Mack was.

AGAIN it was time for Mack Brown to go. I just dont get the constant bashing. You say you never like Darius James? That puts you in the minority because every program in the top 50 wanted him...And if you are that damn good you are in the wrong profession. I get it you are a Longhorn fan and you will make every transfer, dismissal etc look like it was the best thing in the world. I love Texas too. I dont twist the truth though. That is what aggys do. Texas Longhorns are in a little funk but are on our way back. I dont like the constant turnover. It is not good for the team. Something is not smelling right but I dont know quite what it is. I hope Im wrong.

Hookem

What am I blaming him for? He recruited crappy offensive lineman, that's a fact. I give him props for his success, but like I said in several threads our offensive line talent is terrible from Mack's previous classes. If Strong's players don't produce I'll criticize him. I'm surely not going to blame him for the joke of offensive line talent Mack left him.

You say you never like Darius James? That puts you in the minority because every program in the top 50 wanted him...And if you are that damn good you are in the wrong profession. I get it you are a Longhorn fan and you will make every transfer, dismissal etc look like it was the best thing in the world. I love Texas too. I dont twist the truth though. That is what aggys do.

Hookem

Indeed. That is why I said I knew how he felt, before he ever replied to my statement. He could be right about James, but he does that with everyone that leaves the program. And to blame Mack for taking him is asinine, everyone wanted James. From day one I also said I didn't like Raulerson, but dabomb was right there pumping him up...but now Mack was a fool for taking him. Way too fickle. Mack was lazy in the end, but most fans were right there patting him on the back, for his recruiting.

What gets reported as an offer and what actually went out are often two different things. The recruits and the services may call it an offer, but it may not be committable unless conditions are met. Bama may send a guy an offer that is contingent on him coming to one of their camps and kicking ass and getting final approval from the coaches. The recruit calls that an offer and the service lists an offer from Bama, but it's really just an invitation to camp.

Schools do this because these days a lot of recruits won't consider you unless you offer. So rather than Bama just sending an camp invite, they send an offer with conditions, so then the recruit can tell everyone that Bama offered

It's sad but this is in fact how recruiting works these days. It lets both the staff and the recruit save face. Kid acts like he chose another school. Team doesn't have to admit they pulled a scholarship offer. A side effect is that fans (Aggies) will claim that recruits did not have commitable offers when the kid really does just pass on the offer. Kris Boyd was a perfect example. Aggies claim throughout most of the recruiting cycle Boyd's offer was not in fact a real offer. It helps keep their heads from exploding that kids just passed on A&M, even with big bad Chavis pushing for them down the stretch.

Last edited:
Indeed. That is why I said I knew how he felt, before he ever replied to my statement. He could be right about James, but he does that with everyone that leaves the program. And to blame Mack for taking him is asinine, everyone wanted James. From day one I also said I didn't like Raulerson, but dabomb was right there pumping him up...but now Mack was a fool for taking him. Way to fickle.

I certainly didn't want James. I have a close friend that played with him in HS at Harker Heights. From what I was told he was injured almost every practice. Mack got lazy at the end of his tenure. If the staff would have made a couple in practice evaluations, I guarantee they wouldn't have offered him. His offer list was good, but certainly not spectacular for a 5 star.

FYI I didn't think every dismissal was good for the team. I wanted Bergeron and Overstreet on the team. Granted, they've had some issues at their new schools apparently so it seems like Strong made the right choice.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Darius-James-7329/RecruitInterests

Last edited:
Reactions: swVAHorn
What am I blaming him for? He recruited crappy offensive lineman, that's a fact. I give him props for his success, but like I said in several threads our offensive line talent is terrible from Mack's previous classes. If Strong's players don't produce I'll criticize him. I'm surely not going to blame him for the joke of offensive line talent Mack left him.
Sorry utisdabomb....I dont mean to lump everyone that complains about Mack into one group. I took what you said wrong. The cupboard was left bare. But the guys left behind were highly recruited players. Meaning other big time programs wanted them too. So Mack was super unlucky to get the duds or maybe its something to do with our new OL coach. Time will tell.
Indeed. That is why I said I knew how he felt, before he ever replied to my statement. He could be right about James, but he does that with everyone that leaves the program. And to blame Mack for taking him is asinine, everyone wanted James. From day one I also said I didn't like Raulerson, but dabomb was right there pumping him up...but now Mack was a fool for taking him. Way too fickle. Mack was lazy in the end, but most fans were right there patting him on the back, for his recruiting.
Exactly BLH...Some people are saying the class coming in is going to be spectacular (I hope they are) but there will be failures in that group to...transfers, injuries, and just didnt live up to hype...Like saying so and so is going to be awesome...dont know that yet. Something about this staff and recruiting doesnt smell right to me and I dont know what it is. Getting a lot of 2nd and 3rd offers and not 1st picks...I hope they bat 1000 and everyone of them is awesome and wins 4 championships and all go in the 1st round...but that aint going to happen. Acting as if this staff can take ANYONE and win is not accurate. They are offering the 1st guys 1st for a reason...why offer a group if you are really after someone else? Doesnt compute.

Reactions: utisdabomb12
They and every other staff offer many times over the scholarships they actually have to give. It only makes sense, unless you think you are going to have a 100 percent commit rate. And no team offers players chronologically in the order they desire them. What really goes on is a game of back and forth that fans will never know about. Don't just assume that the first player offered is the player they wanted most, or that a late offer is a second or third choice. With that said I won't claim that all the players we are getting we're the coaches first choice. They seem to be having mixed success with the top targets.

It's sad but this is in fact how recruiting works these days. It lets both the staff and the recruit save face. Kid acts like he chose another school. Team doesn't have to admit they pulled a scholarship offer. A side effect is that fans (Aggies) will claim that recruits did not have commitable offers when the kid really does just pass on the offer. Kris Boyd was a perfect example. Aggies claim throughout most of the recruiting cycle Boyd's offer was not in fact a real offer. It helps keep their heads from exploding that kids just passed on A&M, even with big bad Chavis pushing for them down the stretch.

Seems Texas fans do the exact same thing you're posting about.

Something about this staff and recruiting doesnt smell right to me and I dont know what it is.
It's probably because of this staff's utter failure at a school that had long been a football powerhouse, Louisville. It could be because only 14 of Strong's players at that school were selected in the last two drafts, including a paltry three first rounders. Maybe it's the fact that in his first recruiting year at Texas, he only had a top 10 class instead of a top 5. Oh, and don't forget how the NFL Network dissed Charlie by asking him to be a talent commentator for only one night of the draft.

I'm sorry to be so sarcastic, but this "doesn't smell right" just doesn't smell right to me. Even aggys are privately oohing and aahing when they gather in the back stalls of girl's bathrooms. It might behoove you to evaluate other programs and see how many of them offer only the number of openings they have and get everyone of the players at every position they offered.

Reactions: oldhorn2
It's probably because of this staff's utter failure at a school that had long been a football powerhouse, Louisville. It could be because only 14 of Strong's players at that school were selected in the last two drafts, including a paltry three first rounders. Maybe it's the fact that in his first recruiting year at Texas, he only had a top 10 class instead of a top 5. Oh, and don't forget how the NFL Network dissed Charlie by asking him to be a talent commentator for only one night of the draft.

I'm sorry to be so sarcastic, but this "doesn't smell right" just doesn't smell right to me. Even aggys are privately oohing and aahing when they gather in the back stalls of girl's bathrooms. It might behoove you to evaluate other programs and see how many of them offer only the number of openings they have and get everyone of the players at every position they offered.
I dont know why educated people cant read. I never said we should only offer the number we are taking...I never said that. I dont think we are passing on "most" of our first offers just to get some "hidden" jewel. Strong may be the best evaluator in the history of football but if he is getting his 2nd and 3rd and 4th offers at a position conisistently then Texas is not going to be National Championship good. I also said I hope these kids wins 4 Championships and all go in the 1st round. What doesnt smell right to me is Texas kids not giving us a sniff. Hey but no problem this staff has had players drafted and has proven they can take anyone and win. Hell why even offer top kids just get 25 and call it a day. Sorry to be sarcastic. A lot of Texas Longhorn fans are sounding like aggy and it makes me sick. Our staff is so good we dont need to recruit studs just guys who can fill out a uniform.

I like this staff...I hope they succeed. I am glad they went to the spread (although they should have gotten a different playcaller for it). It shows that Strong makes the tough calls. I like the defensive staff more than the offensive right now but once a QB steps up we will see more. The turnover is astounding right now esp. at OL. Its got to stop at some point.

They beat a big time over rated Florida team in a bowl. So? They played in a crappy conference that they were Co-champs in twice. In their last two seasons there they got upset in games they were picked to win. Truth. Try it sometime.

Like I KEEP saying, I like this staff but they aint PROVEN anything to me yet. When they do I will jump on the "they can take anybody and win" group. Who got drafted doesnt mean jack to me. Because at the end of the day CHAMPIONSHIPS are all that matter. I could care less how many got drafted. In fact it shows they underperfomed with a group like that. They should have won more and been even better. Im a Texas Longhorn fan and have been all my life. We dont make excuses we win. We expect the best and we should.

When a freshman comes in and shows out for starting time on the OL, you obviously have problems with ability from other bodies sitting on the bench and then there are those that couldn't keep their crap together...

The attrition on OL is not all due to transfer, the big fella that was just granted his release in Darius James couldn't earn his spot as a starter and the only player that I had hopes of seeing stay that left was Hammad, his conviction alone made me think he had the mental capabilities of being a good ugly, I guess we will see how he pans out for Baylor. The other attrition candidate that was recently mentioned has not left the program yet.

When a freshman comes in and shows out for starting time on the OL, you obviously have problems with ability from other bodies sitting on the bench and then there are those that couldn't keep their crap together...

The attrition on OL is not all due to transfer, the big fella that was just graded his release in Darius James couldn't earn his spot as a starter and the only player that I had hopes of seeing stay that left was Hammad, his conviction alone made me think he had the mental capabilities of being a good ugly, I guess we will see how he pans out for Baylor. The other attrition candidate that was recently mentioned has not left the program yet.
I agree with what you are saying. I just know that the turnover has to slow down esp. on the OL or we are in deep trouble.

I dont know why educated people cant read. I never said we should only offer the number we are taking...I never said that. I dont think we are passing on "most" of our first offers just to get some "hidden" jewel. Strong may be the best evaluator in the history of football but if he is getting his 2nd and 3rd and 4th offers at a position conisistently then Texas is not going to be National Championship good. I also said I hope these kids wins 4 Championships and all go in the 1st round. What doesnt smell right to me is Texas kids not giving us a sniff. Hey but no problem this staff has had players drafted and has proven they can take anyone and win. Hell why even offer top kids just get 25 and call it a day. Sorry to be sarcastic. A lot of Texas Longhorn fans are sounding like aggy and it makes me sick. Our staff is so good we dont need to recruit studs just guys who can fill out a uniform.

I like this staff...I hope they succeed. I am glad they went to the spread (although they should have gotten a different playcaller for it). It shows that Strong makes the tough calls. I like the defensive staff more than the offensive right now but once a QB steps up we will see more. The turnover is astounding right now esp. at OL. Its got to stop at some point.

They beat a big time over rated Florida team in a bowl. So? They played in a crappy conference that they were Co-champs in twice. In their last two seasons there they got upset in games they were picked to win. Truth. Try it sometime.

Like I KEEP saying, I like this staff but they aint PROVEN anything to me yet. When they do I will jump on the "they can take anybody and win" group. Who got drafted doesnt mean jack to me. Because at the end of the day CHAMPIONSHIPS are all that matter. I could care less how many got drafted. In fact it shows they underperfomed with a group like that. They should have won more and been even better. Im a Texas Longhorn fan and have been all my life. We dont make excuses we win. We expect the best and we should.
Well, I started to answer your first nonsensical reply, and then you posted a completely illogical second one. Obviously, anything I say would continue to prove futile at this point.

Other then the kid from Louisiana I doubt you see anybody else, bail.
I hope you are right TexEx. I know we cant keep guys who cant cut it but that kid was a Wickline pickup not from the last staff. So we have to say if Anderson leaves he was a bad pickup.

I worry that in a position like OL that we wont have any experienced players a couple years down the road. We got to get the right kids on both lines or it doesnt matter about QB.

Well, I started to answer your first nonsensical reply, and then you posted a completely illogical second one. Obviously, anything I say would continue to prove futile at this point.
Good I dont want to waste time reading your drivel.

I hope you are right TexEx. I know we cant keep guys who cant cut it but that kid was a Wickline pickup not from the last staff. So we have to say if Anderson leaves he was a bad pickup.

I worry that in a position like OL that we wont have any experienced players a couple years down the road. We got to get the right kids on both lines or it doesnt matter about QB.

Which is what amuses me about a lot of Texas fans. They put it all on Swoopes when had he had a capable OL his production would have been much better. Games are won and lost in the trenches! When our weak ass OL went up against average d-line, Texas had little issue moving the ball. Not making excuses, the OL is easily another year away from being good.

We're probably looking at a line with:
Hodges (Jr) at LT
Flowers (Sr) at LG
Doyle (Sr) at C
Perkins (Jr) at RG
Williams (true freshman) at RT

with...
Hutchins (Sr)
Vahe (true fish)
Raulerson (So)
Rodriguez (RS-fish)
Thomas (true fish)

backing them up... I completely understand where you are coming from. Without Anderson, you have 4 more OL that will be on campus if Major qualifies. Major is a projected LT, Cuney (RS-fish) C, Nickelson (So) RT and Hughes (Jr) RT.

Last edited:
When a new regime takes over, the first order of business is to get rid of the ones that cant play. After that you get rid of the ones that WONT play. That often means getting rid of the guys that those outside the situation perceive as the best...Then the yowling ensues from the fan base. When the atmosphere(clubhouse) starts to change and the survivors begin to buy into the new system...improvement comes rapidly.

Anyone that watched the Cowboys transform under Jimmy Johnson can see almost exactly the same situation . The fanbase was horrified....the team was terrible.At first....the rest was history.

This staff that you dont like the smell of is textbook working this thing out. If you cant help pull the wagon, kindly get off and lighten the load.

When a new regime takes over, the first order of business is to get rid of the ones that cant play. After that you get rid of the ones that WONT play. That often means getting rid of the guys that those outside the situation perceive as the best...Then the yowling ensues from the fan base. When the atmosphere(clubhouse) starts to change and the survivors begin to buy into the new system...improvement comes rapidly.

Anyone that watched the Cowboys transform under Jimmy Johnson can see almost exactly the same situation . The fanbase was horrified....the team was terrible.At first....the rest was history.

This staff that you dont like the smell of is textbook working this thing out. If you cant help pull the wagon, kindly get off and lighten the load.
I will do what I please. I actually clarified what I "didnt like the smell of". Reading is not a strong suit of some on here. I dont need your permission to be a Longhorn fan. I never said we didnt need to get rid of anybody. Of course we do. I said at some point this needs to slow down especially on the OL. If you dont like it dont read it. There is an ignore button. Use it. The self righteous crap of jump on or lighten the load.....good God.

Which is what amuses me about a lot of Texas fans. They put it all on Swoopes when had he had a capable OL his production would have been much better. Games are won and lost in the trenches! When our weak ass OL went up against average d-line, Texas had little issue moving the ball. Not making excuses, the OL is easily another year away from being good.

We're probably looking at a line with:
Hodges (Jr) at LT
Flowers (Sr) at LG
Doyle (Sr) at C
Perkins (Jr) at RG
Williams (true freshman) at RT

with...
Hutchins (Sr)
Vahe (true fish)
Raulerson (So)
Rodriguez (RS-fish)
Thomas (true fish)

backing them up... I completely understand where you are coming from. Without Anderson, you have 4 more OL that will be on campus if Major qualifies. Major is a projected LT, Cuney (RS-fish) C, Nickelson (So) RT and Hughes (Jr) RT.
Exactly Tex...Im worried down the road. We have to HIT on nearly every OL commit or our OL is in deep poo. Didnt mean to piss off half the board by stating the obvious.

One thing to keep an eye on with four-star Jeffrey McCulloch (Houston/Davis), the No. 1 outside linebacker in the Midlands Region, is his friendships with Dontavious Jackson and Malik Jefferson.

He and Jackson are extremely close and have talked about playing together in college. Both are extremely interested in the Longhorns. Enter Jefferson. The former five-star recruit has been a helpful hand for both of these linebackers throughout their recruitment. He’s not necessarily hounding them with pro-UT novelties. But he is peppering those thoughts home while letting them do their own thing. “If I ask a question about UT he gives me more advice about my recruitment and things like that,” McCulloch said.

McCulloch has offers from virtually everywhere in the country and has visited several of them, including Texas, Alabama, LSU, Baylor and A&M. His plan moving forward will likely include official visits to West Coast schools like UCLA, USC, and California. He tells HD the schools that are coming after him the hardest are, “Alabama, Texas, Michigan, Florida, LSU, UCLA, USC, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Auburn.”

When asked what he thought about the direction the Longhorns program is headed in he said, “They are about to be really good.”

I'm also pretty stoked about Buechele! This kid is a stud multi-sport athlete. It was pretty awesome to see he pitched a 66 pitch no hitter and even had a 2 run jack in the game. Talk about great mechanics and athleticism...

Malik has been tweeting at McCulloch and Jackson. Not to mention Fowler in the group as well. Not fair what Charlie is recruiting on defense.

Malik has been tweeting at McCulloch and Jackson. Not to mention Fowler in the group as well. Not fair what Charlie is recruiting on defense.
We may end having to be the CFB version of the Baltimore Ravens when Dilfer was the QB.

They and every other staff offer many times over the scholarships they actually have to give. It only makes sense, unless you think you are going to have a 100 percent commit rate. And no team offers players chronologically in the order they desire them. What really goes on is a game of back and forth that fans will never know about. Don't just assume that the first player offered is the player they wanted most, or that a late offer is a second or third choice. With that said I won't claim that all the players we are getting we're the coaches first choice. They seem to be having mixed success with the top targets.
Really? Why? Seems to me you have a board of players that are ranked by the staff in order of desire to have them play at your school. I know some players get the offer and its based on who commits first from this group of 3 or 4. I am more concerned about the best players in Texas not looking our way. The last few years Mack did screw up big but he locked the state down. I know the aggys in the secsecsec had a lot to do with the new situation though. I just know growing up in Texas that UT was the only offer that mattered to most guys. We got to get back there. Thanks for just giving me you take without calling names or any of that other nonsense that goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT