ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because you're an idiot. Ever hear of a guy named Heard. Back to back titles in the best division in High School football...

Well then why the "knock" on the "midget" then? Kyler completed 65% of his passes. Threw for 4800 yards and ran for 1500 competing against the best in the state. Give me a baller who does it all. Kyler is one of the most accurate passers in the state. In saying that, I do think Buechele is the best you have recruited in a long time. I don't any of the quarterbacks you have on campus is going to do much.
Obviously you've been around longer than Monday. Buechele is more like Colt McCoy than KM to begin with...............

Last edited:
I don't any of the quarterbacks you have on campus is going to do much.

Your credibility was just shot.

Well then why the "knock" on the "midget" then? Kyler completed 65% of his passes. Threw for 4800 yards and ran for 1500 competing against the best in the state. Give me a baller who does it all. Kyler is one of the most accurate passers in the state. In saying that, I do think Buechele is the best you have recruited in a long time. I don't any of the quarterbacks you have on campus is going to do much.

Heard is 6'2"

Murray might be all of 5'9"

I know those are just #s on a screen to you. And you are the eternal delusionist. But they are a big deal when it comes to seeing WRs over an OL.

Reactions: oldhorn2
demarkus%20acy.jpg

DeMarkus Acy ..... Wilmer-Hutchins (Dallas, TX)
3-star ..... S ..... 6-0/175​

Per 247Sports:
While Acy is not rated by 247Sports, [Now rated a 3-star], he does hold major offers from the likes of Kansas State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech.

Acy told Horns247 on Sunday that his interest level is Texas is "high."

“I really like how Coach (Charlie) Strong run his program,” he said. “He’s all about putting kids first, and that sticks out to me. He wants to bring everything out of his players. Texas is also one of the most prestigious schools in the country.”

Acy recorded 89 tackles, 10 pass breakups and one interception as a junior.

Per Scout:
Acy is extremely fast and physical. He has great football awareness and excels in man to man coverage. Acy has attended junior days with Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Arkansas.

”I thought this was the best camp as far as program tradition and this camp was by far the most organized and I believe I will benefit me in the future,” Acy said.

Wilmer-Hutchins head coach Elzie Barnett used him in a lot of different ways last season because of his unique blend of size, speed and agility.

"He's extremely fast and extremely physical," Barnett explained of Acy's talents. "He is smart in coverage and good at man-to-man coverage. He has long arms and he is not afraid to come down and mix it up in the box.

Last edited:
Reactions: HornosaurusRex
247 is saying La. DT Gerald Wilbon is staying an extra day and will meet with the coaches in the morning. They think he might commit.

Notes from 24/7...

-DE Rahssan Thornton of Killeen Shoemaker says he will camp at UT on Sunday. And believe it or not, he claims DT Kendell Jones has talked about coming with him.

-OL Jean Delance of North Mesquite says he's looking to make an unofficial visit to Texas at the end of June.

-2018 QB Jalen Mayden (brother of Jared) of Sachse will camp this weekend.

More notes from Scout...

-WR Tre Nixon of Melbourne, FL should be in town on Saturday.

-DT Marcel Southall of Duncanville will be on campus Sunday (I'm guessing for camp).

-OL Denzel Okafor will make an unofficial visit on Monday.

Also from Scout, they claim we should start hearing more about DT Chris Daniels of Euless Trinity.

He still doesn't have an offer for some reason, but hopefully that will change.

http://247sports.com/Player/Chris-Daniels-31899/
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2065514/chris-daniels

Per Scout, S Kevin Moore of Lafayette, LA should be in Austin today or tomorrow:

http://247sports.com/Player/Kevin-Moore-57215
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4656659/kevin-moore

Last edited:
Well-written piece from Chip Brown concerning 2016 recruiting:

There seems to be more and more concern in Texas circles about if the Longhorns are lost in recruiting because they don't have as many 2016 commitments (5) as TCU (13), Texas A&M (11) or Baylor (9). There's growing hysteria because those schools all have commitments from higher-rated offensive linemen than UT. Where are UT's defensive line commits? Why haven't more kids visited or been offered? Does Charlie Strong have a plan? Or is he playing the dizzy bat game in recruiting this year?

Panic time? Oh heck no. What did we see last year?

Texas moving very carefully in evaluations, often moving more slowly than the competition and then making a furious push with guys they had always maintained contact with after a good chunk of senior football seasons had been played and a final evaluation had been made. This year, Vance Bedford announced on Twitter, as the contact period started in the spring, not to expect a bunch of offers to go out right away.

Remember this ESPN story from exactly one year ago? About Charlie Strong having an in-state recruiting problem?

espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4689699/texas-has-a-state-recruiting-problem

After the story went viral, everyone in Longhorn Nation was panicking!! Everyone except Charlie Strong and his staff. And how did last year's recruiting class finish up? More on that in a second.

HD's Jason Higdon always preaches patience. He's watched Strong recruit at Florida, Louisville and now Texas. And I totally get that there is no patience in the Texas fan base right now. Not after 5 years of substandard football and 7 years of bad Marches in basketball as well as endless ticket increases under Steve Patterson.

But the track record is there for Strong, who doesn't rush. He finds "his" guys.

Right now, "his" guys are stud QB Shane Buechele ... future star 6-5 WR Collin Johnson ... blazing WR Reggie Hemphill ... hard-nosed LB Demarco Boyd ... and aggressive, fleet-footed OL Tope Imade. The glass half empty sees only 5 commitments while others have twice that many. The patient observer of Strong's past sees 5 junkyard dogs who are about team.

That's the track record. Will it all come together for the 2016 class? We have to wait and see - emphasis on "wait."

But NFL scouts believe in Strong. They love his players. They just drafted 15 of them (10 from UL and 5 from UT). Did people go nuts over 3-star LB Preston Brown when he signed at Louisville in 2010? No. The Cards had the 45th ranked class in the country. Brown was a third-round NFL draft pick last year and led the Bills in tackles as a rookie. Strong's 21-member, 2011 recruiting class was ranked No. 33 nationally. How would that sit with the Texas fan base?

PANIC!!!!!! EJECT!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! Right?

We now know 10 recruits from that 21-member 2011 Louisville class have been drafted into the NFL. (There were three 4-stars in that entire class - QB Teddy Bridgewater, WR DeVante Parker and S Gerrod Holliman.) Anyone still panicking over the 2011 Louisville recruiting class? Is that enough to give Strong the benefit of the doubt?

Even me, a jaded, cynical media member is going to give Strong the benefit of the doubt until he gives me a reason to think he can't find junkyard dogs and develop them into NFL players. Strong's recruiting pattern of being careful and selective - knowing some players make "reservations" when they make a commitment - has played out time and again at Louisville and last year at Texas.

Higdon says all the time that following recruiting is not for the faint of heart. It requires patience. Strong expects kids to commit elsewhere at times. And he may not think as highly of some 5-star as you do. There are times Strong wants to watch the 5-star who has made a commitment to another school during his senior season and see if he gets complacent, $#@!y or loses focus.

Strong isn't illegally contacting sophomores the way a lot big-time schools are. So some schools get off to a better start than Texas. But Strong believes in his recruiting methods and in his ability to size up a junkyard dog.

Let's go back to this time a year ago. Last June, Texas couldn't get Anthony Wheeler to come visit. Then, Wheeler committed to OU. Now, he's out of his mind excited about being a Longhorn as part of maybe the best haul of linebackers in the 2015 recruiting class.

Wheeler flipped.

That happened nine times last year - when players canceled their reservations elsewhere and made commitments to Texas.

The Longhorns are still talking to DT Kendell Jones and OT Greg Little. Those players may not end up at Texas. Who knows? But Texas fans didn't think Anthony Wheeler was coming to Texas at this time last year. And they were probably smoking mad about it and saying Charlie Strong has no clue.

We are not blowing smoke when Higs, Will and I say IT'S A LONG WAY TO FEBRUARY. Pace yourself. Hang in there. Try to enjoy the ride. And if you can't enjoy the ride, express your opinion, but Strong and Co. should have taught us all by now - eight months from signing day - to avoid the sky-is-falling stuff and to put away the panic buttons.

"Charlie Strong has a Texas-sized recruiting problem on his hands." That was the opening line of Jeremy Crabtree's story on ESPN.com last June 19.

"Charlie Strong's poor first impression," was the headline of Travis Henry's story on ESPN.com last June 25.

insider.espn.go.com/blog/travis-haney/insider/post?id=2606

Eight months later, Texas had a top 10 recruiting class. Will it happen again? Who knows? But history shows since Strong has become a head coach - at Louisville and now UT - that he may take his time, but he ultimately gets it right in recruiting. And he knows some kids are going to make "reservations" elsewhere before ending up playing for him.

Chip Brown, HD Columnist
LIVE>104.9 THE HORN 6-10 AM CT
SIRIUSXM Ch 91 Sunday nights

And an update from Jason Higdon on 2016 recruiting:

It seems more than a few people have hit the panic button for this recruiting cycle. By the way, that is 100% ok with me. I am not in this job to babysit, comfort or try and change your mind of anything. I have said it before and will say it again now, you stick to your guns. If you think the sky is falling, then the sky is falling.

Right now, there is not one Big 12 team in the top 20 of the Scout.com team rankings. Baylor checks in at No 23 with a total of eight verbal commitments at this time. Of the eight players, they have one top 100 player overall, three four-star kids and five three star kids. Texas Tech has 12 with one four-star and seven three-star players. West Virginia has nine with no five or four-star players. Oklahoma State has six with one four-star and five three-star players. Texas A&M has nine players, one five-star player, three four-star players and four four-star kids. The top player in the class will visit Texas by the way. The top player in the Baylor class has a real strong chance of also visiting Texas. TCU has 11 with no top 100 players, but they do have eight four-star kids at this time. Texas sits with five committed, and three of them are four-star kids with one top 100 player. This will be a smaller class size than what fans are used to, and they need to be somewhat patient this cycle in my opinion.

It’s hard to use logic when it comes to recruiting, but I am going to try it today
icon_cool.gif
With Glen Logan and Ed Alexander LSU bound it’s a perfect opportunity for someone to come in hard on both Stephon Taylor and Rashard Lawrence. All these DT’s from Louisiana are not going to be able to attend LSU. It’s simple numbers at this point. Texas will stay the course with Kendell Jones, Mike Williams, and Jordan Elliott/Marcel Southall. And don’t be surprised to see Chris Daniels get mentioned more moving forward. Depending on what happens over the summer we could see a few more possibly work their way into this class on NSD.

At defensive back its clear this is a down year at the CB position. Texas has left the state and offered a few with Saivion Smith/Khalil Ladler from IMG Academy in Bradenton (Fla) as well as Kristian Fulton from Rummel (LA) and Trayvon Mullen from Coconut Creek (Fla) and the latest offer to Byron Murphy from Saguaro high school in Arizona. What does it mean? I think it now means with things not materializing at the corner position (at this point) you might end up seeing three safety type players vs. one true cover corner. I had told you it would be two corners, one safety, and one hybrid previously. Now I believe you will see one true cover corner with the hybrid and two safeties. This year is very deep with safety type players such as Kevin Moore. He is 6-foot-2, 195-pounds from Arcadiana H.S. in Louisiana and should visit Texas today or very shortly. Arizona State is recruiting him a ton. Miami, Oklahoma State, California, and Utah are a few of his offers.

I caught up with Denzel Okafor, and he told me he would visit Texas on Monday. What is he most looking forward to seeing? “Just seeing the athletic center and the locker room and meeting all the coaches.” Okafor is from Lewisville (Texas)

Defensive tackle Marcel Southall will visit Texas on Sunday with a bunch of talent from not only 2017 but a few from 2016. I caught up with Southall’s coach who is not coming with him but said he would be there on Sunday. He is one of the last two DT’s to land a Texas offer (the other being Wilbon, who will be on campus today), and he is from Duncanville (Texas). He is under the radar because not many people know about him but from a talent point of view he is VERY good.

Standout wide receiver Tre Nixon reached out to me today to let me know the following: “I’m going to be visiting Austin, Saturday the 13th, but I am excited to meet the staff and see what they have to offer.” He is taking this trip with his mother.

Some have suggested defensive tackle Michael Williams would announce at the end of this month, but he told me today that is not accurate. Williams is from All Saints Episcopal in Texas.

0 star? Wtf? Is there an explanation for this?
Simple explaination - these are Strong's type of players. Read the two articles that @Scholz posted above for further clarification.

So far, Charlie's offered 5 or 6 0-star guys:
  1. DeMarkus Acy (S) - 0-star now 3-star
  2. Payton Aucoin (TE) - 0 now 3
  3. Marcel Southall (DT) - 0 now 3
  4. Jack Stoll (TE) - 0 now 3
  5. Marcel Wilbon (DT) - 0
  6. I can't remember if this is correct, but I think... Irvin Smith (TE) - 3

Last edited:
Thanks. I hadn't really been paying attention that much lately. Hadn't noticed the other 0 stars. Just kind of surprised me for a kid that talented.

Per 24/7, Baylor commit ATH Grayland Arnold of Kountze will camp on Sunday. The staff has always liked him at DB.

http://247sports.com/Player/Grayland-Arnold-67493
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1787496/grayland-Arnold

Commit alerts:

South Dallas S DeMarkus Acy will be announcing on Sunday. Could be a very good week if we get him on Sunday and TE Jack Stoll on Friday

La. DT Gerald Wilbon @Big_Geezy97, "Enjoyed my time in Austn!#hookem#Texas#"

http://sports.yahoo.com/bwi/football/recruiting/player-Gerald-Wilbon-166280

Update on DT Gerald Wilbon of Destrehan, LA after his unofficial visit to UT (24/7):

“I loved the visit,” Wilbon said. “Everything was really nice. The facilities were some of the best I’ve ever seen. My favorite part was just getting to tour the campus and see everything in person.”

“We had good meetings,” Wilbon said. “It was great to meet Coach Strong. He seems like a really cool coach and someone I would want to play for. He said he wants me to be there. I’ve known Coach Haley since he was at LSU, so we have a good relationship.”

“My interest level in Texas is very high,” Wilbon said. “The fact that it’s a major program is very appealing to me. I also love the tradition and the history of the school.”

Quotes from 2017 TE Major Tennison of Bullard after visiting Texas yesterday (24/7):

“It was really awesome,” Tennison said. “I got to look around the facilities, and they were amazing. I loved the weight room and the locker room. It was crazy to get off the truck and see everything in person.”

“I talked to Coach Traylor about high school football back home and saw some film with him,” Tennison said. “I talked to Coach Strong for 20 minutes about his core values. I liked both of them. They were extremely nice guys and definitely know their stuff.”

“I grew up loving Texas sports, from football to baseball,” Tennison said. “If they offer, there isn’t even a word to describe how excited I would be. I know Coach Strong doesn’t like to just shoot out offers, so I’m going to play my butt off this season and earn it.”

http://www.uiltexas.org/football/alignments

Yes, Denton Guyer is now 6A. The 6A division I and II class begin this past school year. 2014-2015.
http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/high...140203-football-ryan-guyer-reunited-in-6a.ece

Previous two seasons in which Heard won state titles.

2013-2014

1A Division 1 - Stamford
1A Division 2 - Wellington
1A Six-Man Division 1 - Crowell
1A Six-Man Division 2 - Grandfalls-Royalty
2A Division 1 - Cameron
2A Division 2 - Cisco
3A Division 1 - Carthage
3A Division 2 - Argyle
4A Division 1 - Denton Guyer
4A Division 2 - Aledo
5A Division 1 - Allen
5A Division 2 - Cedar Hill

2012-2013

1A Division 1 - Stamford
1A Division 2 - Munday
1A Six-Man Division 1 - Throckmorton
1A Six-Man Division 2 - Richland Springs
2A Division 1 - Cameron Yoe
2A Division 2 - East Bernard
3A Division 1 - Stephenville
3A Division 2 - Navasota
4A Division 1 - Denton Guyer
4A Division 2 - Cedar Park
5A Division 1 - Allen
5A Division 2 - Katy

Last edited:
I don't think there was a 6A yet when Heard won his championships, so at that time 5A was the best. I believe Guyer is now a 6A school which is probably what confused the OP to begin with.
The old class 4A/new class 5A is the best division in the state from top to bottom. There is a lot more depth of talented teams, due mainly to one horse towns. Old class 5A/new class 6A is very good don't get me wrong but they are top heavy. Same 5 schools basically win it every year. If you want to break it down to best highschool football in all divisions or sports in general DFW runs the show. You make it out of regionals in DFW no matter what classification you have a good shot at winning a state title.

I was hoping we'd offer this kid!! Dude is fast and super shifty. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3378902/jk-dobbins

Per 247:
Five-star La Grange athlete J.K. Dobbins has been dreaming of a Texas offer since he was a kid. And a scholarship from the Longhorns finally came his way on Friday afternoon.

"Just got that offer I've been waiting for from UT!," Dobbins texted Horns247.

At 5-foot-9, 185 pounds, Dobbins can play everything from running back to wide receiver to defensive back. As a sophomore, Dobbins rushed for 2,230 yards and scored 39 total touchdowns.

Along with Texas, Dobbins currently holds offers from Arizona State, California, Oklahoma, TCU and a few others. He is ranked as the No. 2 all-purpose back in the nation and No. 5 overall recruit in the state in 2017, according to 247Sports Composite.

People are probably melting down like usual on other boards, but Strong is about exactly where I thought he would be.

Strong's '11 class at Louisville he had 5 commits before July 1st, '12 class 4 commits, '13 class 5 commits. Like I said, don't expect many early commits. I only expect 5-7 commits before fall ball starts. We are currently at 5.

People are probably melting down like usual on other boards, but Strong is about exactly where I thought he would be.

Strong's '11 class at Louisville he had 5 commits before July 1st, '12 class 4 commits, '13 class 5 commits. Like I said, don't expect many early commits. I only expect 5-7 commits before fall ball starts. We are currently at 5.
You expecting flips at the end, or another Florida 5 type of deal? Kids commit so early in Texas since Mack speed up in state commitments.

Reactions: dafan
You expecting flips at the end, or another Florida 5 type of deal? Kids commit so early in Texas since Mack speed up in state commitments.

That's how Strong recruits, yes I expect flips. He flipped Major, Locke, Newsome, Locksley, Cherry, Hager, Lampkin, Vasser, and Johnson last year off the top of my head. Like I said, Strong doesn't consider a commit anything more than a placement holder right now (even for his own commits).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT