ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He flipped 8 or 9 last cycle.
Funny how the numbers work. If he gets 8 or 9 wins, he'll have a lot easier time getting those 8 or 9 flips he is looking for. Winning fixes everything, just can not pull it off 2 years in a row with 6 wins. Or maybe he can, who knows.

Funny how the numbers work. If he gets 8 or 9 wins, he'll have a lot easier time getting those 8 or 9 flips he is looking for. Winning fixes everything, just can not pull it off 2 years in a row with 6 wins. Or maybe he can, who knows.
I agree.... Absolute truth. Winning is where it's at!

Is Aggy going with the, "If you build it, they will come" mentality?

Last edited:
How many of those flips happened to kids that already had texas offers? Did these kids have a texas offer commit to another school then decommit and flip to Texas? Eventually you have to start landing kids that you offer. You can't keep saying it's just a strategy to hand out offers then wait till the end when you really want him. I mean charlie has a lot of offers out, is he really telling kids to hold off committing or something?

Reactions: Brentwood Sooner
I agree.... Absolute truth. Winning is where it's at!

Is Aggy going with the, "If you build it, they will come" mentality?
I really am not sure what our strategy is. I think we need the upgraded facilities, to give us a chance. We still need to win 8+ games annually or we'll just have a fancy stadium with a crap product.
I could see us winning anywhere from 4 to 11 this year - most likely around 7 or 8. I hate to be a pessimist, but hate the sunshine pumpers. Crazy year. We need Chavis to be the difference maker so many are predicting (I am more hopeful than predicting myself). Bama is a lose. Arizona St, Arkie, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, South Carolina, and LSU are all going to be a handful for us.
Heck we might play you guys in some low level bowl. I hope not. But if we have to play in a crappy bowl, I'd rather play you guys than West Virginia or whoever. Atleast we could all talk crap for a month about our mediocre teams. We could convince ourselves it was the superbowl, when it is really the toilet bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexExSpur
How many of those flips happened to kids that already had texas offers? Did these kids have a texas offer commit to another school then decommit and flip to Texas? Eventually you have to start landing kids that you offer. You can't keep saying it's just a strategy to hand out offers then wait till the end when you really want him. I mean charlie has a lot of offers out, is he really telling kids to hold off committing or something?

What? I'm so confused. Big difference between telling kids to hold off from committing and just not pushing for a commit. It's not a secret that Strong finds commits this early to be pretty meaningless. Heck Bedford said last year, "Commitments are nothing but placeholders for other schools until NSD".

What? I'm so confused. Big difference between telling kids to hold off from committing and just not pushing for a commit. It's not a secret that Strong finds commits this early to be pretty meaningless. Heck Bedford said last year, "Commitments are nothing but placeholders for other schools until NSD".
There are some big perception advantages to not pushing for commits until late in the game. Texas and A&M had nearly identical classes per rankings last year. A&M loaded up early and hung on for dear life at the end. Texas did nothing early and then closed strong. The better class is really just a matter of opinion. Which fan base felt better at the end? I'd say Texas.
Not pushing for early commits brings down expectations, which is pretty smart if you aren't winning 10 games.

Is Bravvion Roy a player? Rumor is he commits to Baylor tomorrow. Not sure if he is any good or not.

Is Bravvion Roy a player? Rumor is he commits to Baylor tomorrow. Not sure if he is any good or not.

I think Darius Anderson is better than both Roy and Blacklock. Aggy sites have said Blacklock has grade issues and LSU sites have said Roy has off the field issues. Eric Nahlin, a Texas recruiting guy, apparently saw Roy at a Tech camp and said he was lazy and not impressive.

Recap of everyone on campus this weekend and a few who will be in Austin tomorrow:

RB, Raynard Harmon, Cypress Woods
WR, Davion Curtis, Temple
WR, Donnell Dunn, Cypress Springs
WR, Aneas Jackson, Pflugerville Connally
WR, Tre Nixon, Viera (Melbourne, FL)
TE, Antoine Cannady, Pearland Dawson
OL, Jean Delance, North Mesquite
OL, Ryan McCollum, Klein Oak
OL, Denzel Okafor, Lewisville
OL, Gewhite Stallworth, Navarro College (Corsicana, TX)
DT, Ross Blacklock, Fort Bend Elkins
DT, Marcel Southall, Duncanville
DT, Mike Williams, Fort Worth All Saints
DE, Rahssan Thornton, Killeen Shoemaker
CB, Arnold Azunna, Mansfield Lake Ridge
CB, Jaron Bryant, Duncanville
CB, Parrish Cobb, Waco La Vega
CB, Eric Cuffee, Waco High
CB, Jaylon Jones, Allen
CB, Ka'Darian Smith, Spring
S, Deontay Anderson, Manvel
ATH, Grayland Arnold, Kountze
ATH, Gamarquis Girdy, Victoria West
ATH, Christian Wallace, Sealy

QB, Lindell Stone, Woodberry Forest (Woodberry Forest, VA)
RB, JK Dobbins, La Grange
WR, Damion Miller, Tyler John Tyler
TE, Chance McLeod, Victoria West
OL, Alan Ali, Fort Worth Timber Creek
DE, Alexander Duke, Bellaire
DE, Ondario Robinson, Hutto
LB, Anthony Hines, Plano East
LB, Loren Mondy, Dallas Bishop Dunne
CB, Langston Frederick, League City Clear Springs

QB, Jalen Mayden, Sachse
CB, Verone McKinley III, Plano Prestonwood Christian

The Texas Longhorns have had some trouble with defensive tackle recruiting in the 2016 recruiting cycle to this point, so hopefully the newest offer to go out at the position will result in some good fortune.

On an unofficial visit Sunday the Longhorns offered Fort Bend Elkins' Ross Blacklock. The 6-foot-3-inch, 325-pound tackle is on a roll when it comes to landing offers with LSU and Texas A&M having recently extended offers to the Houston area product.

Texas has seen Killeen Shoemaker's Kendell Jones (Alabama), Spring Westfield's Ed Oliver (Houston) and Houston Westside's Jordan Elliott (Baylor an then Houston) commit elsewhere this spring. With 2015 four-star signee Du'Vonta Lampkin unlikely to ever play a down for the Longhorns has he's openly expressed his desire to attend another institution, the Longhorns are having to pursue other targets to get young and bodies in the pipeline.

Per 247
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4002037/ross-blacklock

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Killeen Shoemaker defensive end Rahssan Thornton arrived at Texas with one goal in mind — earn an offer.

Mission accomplished. Thornton impressed at Texas' second and final minicamp and came away with a scholarship after meeting with head coach Charlie Strong.

Thornton told Horns247 that he is “excited about the offer” and that it “changes things” in his recruitment. LSU is considered his early leader.

At 6-foot-3, 225 pounds, Thornton is being recruited as a “Fox” end. Thornton notched 61 tackles and five sacks as a junior at Killeen Shoemaker.

A three-star prospect, Thornton is ranked as the No. 34 weak-side defensive end in the country and No. 74 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite.
Per 247
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2618949/rahssan-thornton

Here are Sunday's tidbits on Texas targets:
Per 247

— North Mesquite offensive lineman Jean Delance told Horns247 in an exclusive interview that he “loved” his visit to Texas. He added that Texas has now moved up his list and is a major player in his recruitment. He spent two and a half hours talking to head coach Charlie Strong.

— Killeen Shoemaker defensive end Rahssan Thornton also spent an extended amount of time with Strong and came away with an offer. With Erick Fowler off the board, Thornton becomes a major target for the Longhorns at the “Fox” position. A reported LSU lean, Thornton said the Texas offer “changes things.”

— Texas also put an offer on the table for Fort Bend Elkins defensive tackle Ross Blacklock. With the Longhorns’ recent recruiting struggles at the position, Blacklock is a top priority for Texas. A source said LSU is the frontrunner, but it will be interesting to see how the Texas offer affects his recruitment.

— Waco cornerback Eric Cuffee made a surprise trip to Texas today. Cuffee recently told Horns247 that his interest is “extremely high.” He plans to narrow his list down to 10 at The Opening.

— Manvel safety Deontay Anderson also made a trip to Texas today. This obviously huge for Texas considering he is one of the top defensive backs in the country. Anderson is wide open with his recruitment, and Texas is definitely an option.

— Allen defensive back Jaylon Jones camped with Texas, but no offer has been extended as of today. Jones is versatile enough to play cornerback or safety at the next level. It wouldn’t be surprising to see him get offered this week.

— Texas also hosted two of 2018’s top prospects in Sachse quarterback Jalen Mayden and Prestonwood Christian cornerback Verone McKinley. Both recruits said they have early interest in Texas and enjoyed their time on campus.

— Brother Martin (La.) tight end Irvin Smithmade a verbal commitment to Texas A&M. Smith held a Texas offer but never visited.

— Spring defensive tackle Bravvion Roypulled the trigger and committed to Baylor. Texas showed interest but did not offer.

— Arkansas landed a commitment from Trophy Club Byron Nelson offensive tackle Kellen Diesch. He held a Texas offer but was cool on the Longhorns.

— Alief Elsik linebacker Dontavious Jackson made an unofficial visit to LSU. Jackson plans to visit Texas later this summer.

6_3489160.jpg

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

Aldine (Texas) MacArthur defensive end Isaiah Chambers has racked up close to 30 offers and has never wanted to publicly name a top school or group.

However, on Sunday evening, the 6-foot-3.5, 258-pound four-star defender decided to narrow his focus to only 10 schools.

"I want to thank every school that offered me a scholarship ! But I want to narrow my list down to these 10 schools," he said via Twitter.

Chambers, ranked as the No. 85 composite prospect in the country included, in alphabetical order, Baylor, Houston, Michigan, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M and Washington in that group.

Chambers' Crystal Ball currently has 43 percent each of the predictions for A&M and TCU and 7 percent each for Baylor and Houston.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2010252/isaiah-chambers

Last edited:
Damion Miller opened eyes at Texas’ second and final minicamp on Sunday and earned an offer later in the day.

The four-star 2017 wide receiver out of John Tyler is ranked as the No. 41 wide receiver in the country and No. 29 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite.

Texas tight ends coach Jeff Traylor visited Texas in the spring. Traylor is familiar with the John Tyler program after a successful stay at fellow East Texas power Gilmer.

Miller also holds offers from Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and others.

As a junior, Miller recorded 26 receptions for 614 yards and eight touchdowns.
Per 247
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4125599/damion-miller

rahssan%20thornton.jpg

Rahssan Thornton ..... Shoemaker (Killeen, TX)
3-star ..... WDE ..... 6-3.5/225​

Per 247Sports:
Killeen Shoemaker defensive end Rahssan Thornton arrived at Texas with one goal in mind — earn an offer.

Mission accomplished. Thornton impressed at Texas' second and final minicamp and came away with a scholarship after meeting with head coach Charlie Strong. Thornton told Horns247 that he is “excited about the offer” and that it “changes things” in his recruitment. LSU [and Michigan are] considered his early leader.

Per Scout:
Rahssan Thornton has the frame and look of an elite edge rusher. Then you hear that he is a kid who runs track and is competing in the 110-meter hurdles. That is a scary combo of skills wrapped up in a nice package.

Rankingswise, you can expect Thornton to settle in as one of the top-rated defensive end prospects in the region and a certain Texas Top 100.

"I remember the days when I would just be in the weight room working angry, doubting myself. But my coaches always said that if I would work hard it would come and it came, so I thank God himself."

Per IT:
How he fits at Texas: Thornton's ideal fit would be as a 4-3 DE where his likely body trajectory and ability to play the edge would keep him in a three-point stance. He's fast in space but he is capable of working into the B gaps and his ultimate upside is probably in between a Fox and a strongside end in a position that doesn't really exist at Texas. - IB

Coach says: Thornton reminds me a bit of the Jackson kid in the sense that they are both twitchy athletes that play the game fast and violently. The kid posted 22.5 TFLs as a junior and watching his tape it is clear that number wasn't an accident. He is constantly in the backfield and he has the ability and athleticism to chase down plays from the backside. Thornton may not have the same kind of fanfare that his teammate Kendell Jones has, but he certainly has the ability and upside that could have some schools taking a closer look.

How this affects Texas: Thornton is still mostly known for being the teammate of the Hulk, Kendell Jones. Then you watch his tape. His 6-foot-4, 225-pound frame suggests OLB. But if he maintains his fluidity with added strength, DE could be in the cards. Thornton is that guy that nobody talks about, then sits quietly on the bench for two seasons, develops, and destroys the Big 12 by his junior year. If UT offers, I think they nab him. - JW

DE Rahssan Thornton of Killeen Shoemaker discusses finally getting that UT offer (24/7):

“I’m pretty excited, I’ve been coming here since 9th grade,” Thornton said. “I’m pretty familiar with the place, the coaches and players. It’s already like a second home.”

“Coach Strong is basically like my dad,” Thornton said. “That’s who he specifically reminds me of. He preached that he was going to make me into a man and help me mature. I look forward to that type of stuff.”

“I’m not going to be home for my dad to talk with me,” Thornton said. “He’s matured me as much as he could before he sends me off to college. And these guys really, really do a lot of stuff like that, I can tell.”

“It made me think a lot,” Thornton said. “But I’m just going to have to wait this one out.”

Update on OL Jean Delance of North Mesquite after his unofficial visit to Texas (24/7):

“My interest level in Texas has definitely gone up now that I got to talk to Coach (Charlie) Strong face to face and see how the coaches coach from a camp standpoint,” Delance said. “Getting to talk to all the guys (members of the team) really helped to. You know, Texas is about to take off.”

“I had great conversations with Coach Strong, Coach (Joe) Wickline and Coach BJ (Brian Jean-Mary),” Delance said. “I spent a lot of time with DeAndre and Malik. I got to hang out with Charles, too. They told me this is the place to be. It was really fun, and I’ll be back to chill with them again soon.”

“Coach Strong let me know that this is the place for me,” Delance said. “He said he really wants me up here as a part of the program. He couldn’t stress that enough. He talked to my mom and told us that I would be a big get for the program.”

“She (Delance's mother) loves Coach Strong,” Delance said. “He talked to her personally, so she likes him. She said he’s one of the best coaches she’s talked to. She’s in my ear about everything, so she plays the biggest role in my recruitment.”

Quotes from 2017 RB JK Dobbins of La Grange (24/7):

“My coach actually called Coach Haley, and somehow a discussion of an offer was brought up,” Dobbins said. “My coach told me to call Coach Haley, and he told me I had an offer from Texas. It was unbelievable. I was caught off guard.”

“I went up there with my mom, and we talked to Coach (Charlie) Strong and Coach (Tommie) Robinson,” Dobbins said. “They were both very genuine. Coach Strong told me that he really liked me and wanted me to be at Texas. He said I’m a very special talent.”

“Texas is my favorite right now,” Dobbins said. “I love everything, man. The reason it’s at the top of my list is because of the tradition, and the fact that Coach Strong has the program on the right path. I also know he can help me develop and get me where I need to be.”

After committing to LSU, DE Erick Fowler of Manor told Baylor's 24/7 site that he will take unofficial visits to Baylor and UT soon.

Per 24/7, OL Tope Imade was a surprise visitor at camp yesterday. He said Coach Wickline had him working mostly at guard and that's what he plans on playing in college.

Quote from DE Rahssan Thornton, after the camp:

"[The offer] feels great. You actually have to earn, earn that one. Not just on the field but as a person too. The coaches want to see who you are as a person. You have to hang around the program for a good little bit and get to know the coaches before they offer just like any other college. It's like a family thing basically."

"When they take their time and analyze you it shows that they really care."

@Andrew_TFB: Elsik (TX) LB Dontavious Jackson, DB Chris Brown & Hightower (TX) DT Darius Anderson will all visit #Texas this week.

@IBallLikeMelo_: Heading to UT,A&M,Baylor soon. Eric Monroe. He'll probably end up at LSU.

ross%20blacklock.jpg

Ross Blacklock ..... Elkins (Missouri City, TX)
3-star ..... DT ..... 6-3/326​

Blacklock runs a 5.34/40 and exhibits great burst off the line. He holds offers from 13 schools including LSU, Miami, Missouri, Oklahoma State, TCU, and the NeverWillBees. I've heard some talk, though unsubstantiated, that he is the son of former UT and Globetrotters great, Jimmy Blacklock [article on Jimmy].

Per HD:
Blacklock is a huge interior defensive line prospect with experience playing multiple spots in varied fronts. He possesses a massive, powerful base that enables him to steer OL's. He has size/strength to back up traffic and shows an ability to disengage. He's a tough customer vs. the run. Blacklock displays a good get-off, especially for such a large player. His lateral range is somewhat limited, understandably, but he's athletic enough to play 7-, 5-, 3-, 1-techniques for his HS team.

Inside Texas saying LB Jeffrey McCulloch does plan on visiting UT with LB Dontavious Jackson later this week (probably riding with DT Jordan Elliott).

OL Denzel Okafor (Lewisville):
Quotes from OL Denzel Okafor after visiting UT today (OrangeBloods):

"I did narrow it down to my top three - A&M, TCU and UT. TCU was first, A&M second, UT third. After visiting today, UT definitely beats A&M for second, and could be tied with TCU. I'm not sure yet. But the visit to UT today, it was very convincing."

"I went over there, talked to coach Strong, and he told me straight up why they need me, what they have to offer. He just told me straight up, education comes first, that and family stuff. He said he's the head coach, and he'll make sure you get your education, he'll take care of you. You'll get your education done right, they'll take care of you the whole four years you're there. He said 'Your parents will hand you to me, and then I'll take care of you like you're my own son. We'll provide you what you need with tutors and those things, we'll take care of you, not just mentally but physically.' The way they stressed education, that stood out to me. Education always comes first, so that stood out. It's amazing how much coach Strong really cares."

"I think I'd be a guard at Texas maybe. I'd first try out for that position, whichever works, if I can be at left tackle, I'll fight for that position. Coach Wick, he said whoever works the hardest is going to start. It's not always about who is the best, he wants top people who are going to work hard every single day."

Per 24/7, UT hosted S Cedrick Wright of Miami, FL today.

It's a little fuzzy on whether or not he has an offer, but he reminds you a bit of S Tim Irvin from last year:

http://247sports.com/Player/Cedrick-Wright-29286
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2875122/cedrick-wright

Thornton committed to LSU. At this point in the cycle, I believe there are only five uncommitted DE offers for Texas three of which are Bowen, Chambers and Madubuike with a good chance of landing one of those. It's going to be entertaining down the stretch...

The H2H that bothers me at the moment has nothing to do with Aggy as a program, but everything to do with the SEC and LSU (9, currently 1 - 5*, 6 - 4* and 2 - 3* recruits), one of the actual bread winners.

LSU has 5 DE's committed thus far.

Last edited:
Thornton committed to LSU.
Doo-doo!

However, I see a Charlie Bedford flip coming in December. Especially after his comments the other day concerning his UT offer:

"You actually have to earn, earn that one,” he said. “Not just on the field but as a person too. The coaches want to see who you are as a person. You have to hang around the program for a good little bit and get to know the coaches before they offer just like any other college. It's like a family thing basically.

"When they take their time and analyze you it shows that they really care." [citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT