ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some schools are recruiting Wilbon as an offensive lineman, but Texas likes him on the defensive side of the football. Wilbon said he can’t wait to help anchor the Longhorns defensive line in the near future.

DT Gerald Wilbon of Destrehan, LA talks about his commitment to Texas (24/7):

“Coach Strong just made me feel comfortable,” Wilbon said. “He just reassured how I felt about Texas and told me great things about the program. I asked him about my plans after college, and he said they would make sure I get where I need to be.”

“I called him back and talked to him and Coach (Brick) Haley,” Wilbon said. “I told them I was committing, and they were really excited. I just felt like it was the right decision for me as a student athlete.”

“The visit really played a major role,” Wilbon said. “That’s where I really connected with the coaching staff. I loved everything about it.”“I feel like the strength of my game is run-stopping,” Wilbon said. “I feel like I can plug holes. Coach Haley is excited to have me and can’t wait to get me up there.”

I like this pick up. UT was in dire needs of a big ol DT. Now pick up another or two to go along with a couple of DE's and i be fine with the DLine. I think the next major position of need is DB's

antonneous%20clayton.jpg

Antonneous Clayton ..... Dooly County (Vienna, GA)
4-star ..... WDE ..... 6-4/218​

Antonneous "Tony" Clayton uses his speed (4.59/40) and dexterity (4.47/shuttle) to wreak havoc in enemy backfields. Like most tall HS linemen, he tends to play too high; but a few more camps going against OLine hosses and he'll begin to get the idea. Then, The Dread Pat Moorer and Brick can forge him into a StrongMan that the NFL will salivate over.

The bad news is... he's smitten with Florida, bammy, and Ole Miss.

Per Scout:
Clayton is an athlete right now making plays on the football field. Still raw in a lot of areas, but explosive and quick off the ball. He has great reaction time and can really fire off the ball. Clayton is great in pursuit from the backside and he will chase the ball down the field. He can project as a stand-up end, hybrid type or rush end on next level. Clayton has a great frame, good length, and natural athleticism. He needs to improve moves off the ball and run defense.

Strengths: athleticism, explosion, and quickness off the ball.

Per FightinGators:
At 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds, Antonneous Clayton knows he wants to put on some weight before the next football season. The Class of 2016 hybrid defensive end/ linebacker will likely have to play a great deal on the line of scrimmage as a collegian, and he can’t wait for that.

What he doesn’t have to fix is his first step and his overall quickness coming off of the snap. That is what has college coaches enamored with the young man.

He likes the idea of being that hybrid guy, but he actually is open to playing anywhere on the field.

“I really don’t care where I play,” he said. “I’m an athlete, not just a football player. I just want to win, that’s my goal.”

Per Rivals:
Antonneous Clayton has been described as a 40-year-old in a 17-year-old's body. For certain, his football playing skills are advanced for a rising high school senior, but it's his maturity on and off the field that may be his most striking characteristic.

"Tony is a real good kid," Dooly County head coach Jimmy Hughes said. "He's got both his parents at home and they're hard-working people. They instilled the work ethic in him that shows up on the practice field, the weight room and the classroom as well. He's real mindful of the youngsters around him, wanting to be a role model."

For Clayton, his motivations derive from his family, wanting to please his parents and set a positive example for a younger brother and sister.

"I just want to be successful as an individual. Just to have them all proud of me, that's enough in itself," said Clayton, who aspires to be a pediatrician or orthodontist after his football career ends. "I'm just trying to show them that no matter where you come from anything is possible as long as you work hard for it."

Clayton grew up in Vienna, Ga., playing more basketball than football. In fact, he gave up football in the ninth grade until his uncle talked him into returning the next year.

"He told me I have the potential to be the best player that I want to be," Clayton said. "I've got the body, the weight, the mindset -- everything I need. He told me I've just got to want it.

"I really thought about it and my family situation and I said to myself, 'I've got to do this. I have to.' It's kind of like my destiny to do this."

Clayton's uncle was right.

A solid sophomore season was followed up by a breakout junior year in which Clayton finished with 72 tackles, 22 tackles-for-loss, 16 sacks, six forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

[Watch his Hudl here] (Wish we could embed Hudl vidz!)

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Looking at the DTs we've offered I'm not sure there's many true nose guard types. Maybe Kendell Jones, Ross Blacklock. and Derrick Brown? I haven't watched enough film on all the DTs.

This is also interesting because the next DT commits we get should give us some insight on the type of DTs Strong/Bedford like. I've read several places that they actually like the hybrid molds more similar to Oliver, Elliot, and Logan. We for sure needed a nose guard type body though. The more I look at this I'm actually pretty high on this Wilbon pickup because I'm not sure there's a ton of true nose guards available (at least in terms of what we've offered).

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
24/7 saying DT Jordan Elliott of Houston Westside has made it to campus.

The other visitors are expected to arrive tomorrow. LB Dontavious Jackson, DB Chris Brown, DT Darius Anderson, and RB Devwah Whaley are all coming in to visit Friday and Saturday. They'll join Jordan Elliott, who is already in Austin.

Devwah Whaley note - You'll like this one. Tells me he will be in town Friday and Saturday with his parents. Clear-cut No. 1 target at RB for UT. - Wilkerson

More from OL Denzel Okafor of Lewisville after his unofficial visit to Texas earlier this week (24/7):

“Coach Strong sat down with me and my dad,” Okafor said. “He told us that he’s not just going to treat me as an athlete. He wants to treat me as a son. He’s going to make sure my grades come first. He wants me to hit the books and make sure I take care of business on the field. I really liked what he had to say.”

“Coach Wickline said that I can play guard or tackle and that he wants to work hard,” Okafor said. “He told me it’s possible to start as a true freshman, which is big for me. He said Connor Williams has a chance to do it this year, so that would be motivation for me if I do go to Texas.”

“Right now it’s kind of iffy between Texas and TCU,” Okafor said. “I really like both programs. With Texas, I really like the academics. I also like how they run the program. It seems like a great place.”

DT Mike Williams
‏@mike_williams52
I got a top 10 y'all just can't have just know SMU Harvard Texas Stanford are in it

Per Inside Texas, UT has offered JUCO WR Ryan Parker of Tyler J.C.

He is originally from Keller and signed with TCU out of high school. Currently pledged to OU:

http://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Parker-36898
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2835961/ryan-parker

It still boggles my mind that Baylor and TCU are pulling in top state talent, enjoy it while it lasts.

Four LSU football players have been placed on indefinite suspension after their arrests Thursday.

Quarterback Anthony Jennings, cornerback Dwayne Thomas and defensive lineman Maquedius Bain were arrested and booked on unauthorized entry into an inhabited dwelling, police records show. Thomas was also booked on simple burglary. [Story here]

Were we recruiting any of these guys?

The two-week run of UT camps is winding down, but the Longhorns will host some big names over the course of the weekend. A quick rundown of those who have confirmed they'll be on campus ...

Alief Elsik LB Dontavious Jackson - One of the Horns' top defensive targets, Jackson will get to Austin on Friday. The Longhorns are a major player in this one, and getting Jackson back on campus can't hurt. More on him later in the War Room. Jackson will be joined by teammate Chris Brown, a talented DB with a bunch of offers, and Missouri City Hightower DT Darius Anderson, who is hoping for a Texas offer. Of note, there's been talk that LB Jeffrey McCulloch could accompany the group on the visit, but Jackson told us on Thursday McCulloch isn't coming. We'll follow up on that one tomorrow.

Port Arthur Memorial RB Devwah Whaley - The top running back on UT's board, Whaley will head up to UT on Friday for a big unofficial visit. The Longhorns are among Whaley's group of favorites, with Texas A&M and Oklahoma among UT's biggest threats.

Houston Westside DT Jordan Elliott - Elliott has been committed to Houston for less than a month and we've been hearing Texas was going to continue to work the talented d-tackle. Those efforts appear to be paying off with Elliott expected to visit all weekend. (Suchomel)

Auroro Regis Jesuit tight end Jack Stoll was scheduled to pick either Texas or Nebraska on Friday but he's pushed those plans back as he tries to come to a decision.

The good news is that the Longhorns are very much in the mix and Stoll is genuinely torn. The bad news ... my guess is that he's slightly favoring Nebraska as of Wednesday if you read between the lines of the following quote:

Key quote: "What I would say to that, I'm coming fresh off a Nebraska visit," Stoll said when I asked if he was evenly split between the two. "I just think the commitment date, I made it a little too close to when we I visited Nebraska. I had a great time at Nebraska, but I want to get outside that visit, really kind of think which place is best for me, not be favoring one place or another because it's the last place I visited. I also want to make sure partly that I'm not favoring one over the other because of when I visited the school. It's definitely still between Nebraska and Texas. I just think it's the best thing for me to push it back."

What's next: Stoll said he's going to spend the next day or two not thinking about recruiting. He'll then talk to his parents this weekend and he hopes to have a decision in June, although he's not putting a hard deadline on himself.

"I absolutely do not want to rush it. It's going to affect four or five years of my life and really the rest of my life," Stoll said.

No more visits: Stoll said he's seen everything he needs to see from both Texas and Nebraska in terms of facilities and time with the coaches. He's not planning to take any more visits before deciding.

How he'll pick one over the other: "What I think is going to happen, I'm nto going to think about it the rest of the week. I'll take some time off, focus on the workouts we have over here on football, hang out with friends, enjoy summer. As the weekend starts to roll around, I'll have discussions with my parents, see which one is best for me. Eventually, I'll get to a point where I'm making a pro and con list of the schools I'm interested in. Eventually it will come down to that list when you take emotion out of it, find out which school suits me for the future, be successful on academics and athletically."

When Stoll decides, he said he'll probably just put it on Twitter rather than have a big announcement. (Suchomel)

Some quick-hitter notes on two of the top prospects who attended UT's Elite QB Academy - 2017 Refugio standout Jaylon Mascorro and West Palm Beach Dwyer 2017 Todd Centeio ...

Both QBs really enjoyed the camp, and they both came away feeling they did well. Mascorro got some time after the camp to talk with Shawn Watson in Watson's office, and Centeio was also able to talk to Watson after the camp. Both players were told the Texas coaches would be meeting early next week and discussing their plans for the 2017 QB class in the way of possible offers.

If Texas offers, Mascorro said it would be his "best offer yet," but he said he'd continue to take things at a slow pace.

If an offer is presented to Centeio, he said the Longhorns would shoot up his list and be a major player for his commitment. Centeio, a one-time Miami commitment, has offers from Miami, Nebraska, Cincinnati, N.C. State and a few others.

We'll have more detailed reports on both over the weekend, but both players had nothing but high praise for the way the camp was run and the instruction given by Watson. Of note, Centeio mentioned Austin Westlake Sam Ehlinger as a player who impressed him at the camp. We haven't connected with Ehlinger yet but will continue to work on that one. (Suchomel)

It's no surprise that Texas needs to load up on d-line prospects in the 2016 class, and the coaches extended an offer to the nation's top weakside DE, Antonneous Clayton, this week.

Clayton, out of Vienna (GA) Dooly County, would seem to be a longshot for Texas. He's a top national prospect in the heart of SEC country, but in talking to Clayton, I do get the impression he'll give Texas a good look.

Key quote: "It made me think more and more about my decision, you know," Clayton said of the UT offer. "Them being what they are in college football, having one of the best educations, getting one of the best degrees, that really makes a difference in the choice I'm going to make."

A pleasant surprise: A little background on Clayton ...

He's ranked No. 42 on the Rivals100, but he told me all the recruiting attention is still fairly new for him. Clayton didn't pick up his first offer until a couple months ago after he started tearing up the camp circuit, so he's still sorting through a list of offers that seems to grow every day.

He was swimming with some buddies when he got word of his Texas offer. His phone was blowing up, so he got out of the pool and called his coach, and that's when he got word that Texas had offered.

Clayton immediately started doing his homework on UT and likes what he has learned.

"I'm still kind of blown away. I'm still trying to take it all in. One second I'm getting out of the pool and then I get that offer.

"They're a pretty traditional school. The players and coaches have a wonderful relationship, kind of a coach/son/athlete relationship. Having that bond with players, that means a lot. Once you sign here, you're there forever, guys are always getting back to college, getting their degrees, coming back.

"I did some research on coach (Brick) Haley. He had something like 12 d-linemen in the NFL. So he has to be doing something right."

Update on visits: Clayton visited Clemson on Saturday. He's already visited Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Southern and Tennessee.

What he's looking for: Clayton is now up to 28 offers and said he's exploring every one as he tries to find the right fit. Distance won't be a factor, he said. It'll come down to factors like education and an overall gut feel.

"Where I'm going is to get the best education, who is going to treat me like family, not lust like an athlete? Don't go ghost on me off the field. The other side, just how the environment is, the colleagues, see how they are. Not crazy people, I just want some pretty chill people. Mainly, those are the factors going into it - things like graduation rates, getting a job after college." (Suchomel)

Texas commit Tope Imade (pronounced Toe-pay Eye-made for those who asked) attended UT's camp on Sunday and he had a couple interesting comments, including his thoughts on good friend and fellow OL prospect Jean Delance.

Imade said he's rock solid with his decision and feels even better about things after the time spent with Joe Wickline.

"It was a good experience. I saw how he coached, liked it. I can't wait to be there next year," Imade said.

Imade and Delance have been friends for a while, and Imade thinks Texas has a really good chance to land Delance, a Rivals250 OT.

"He seems pretty confident about Texas. Hopefully he and Denzel (Okafor) commit to us. I'm texting (Delance) right now, trying to get him to come," Imade said. "I've been friends with gene for a while. I'm not going to stop talking to him about Texas."

Imade said he mostly lined up at guard at the camp, but at the request of the UT coaches, he slid out to tackle for a few reps so he could match up with Rahssan Thornton. Imade said Thornton one a rep, he won a rep and they stalemated on the third. (Suchomel)

We mentioned above that LB Dontavious Jackson will visit Texas on Friday. The four-star inside linebacker said he's trying to see as many schools as he can (he visited LSU last weekend) to see where he fits in, where he feels most comfortable.

Keeping things private: Jackson plans to release a top 10 on July 4. Texas is pretty much a lock to make the cut, but when I asked Jackson of UT's chances to remain standing, he said everyone will just have to stay tuned.

Thoughts on Texas: "Its legacy. Texas has been one of the best schools in the country ever since its establishment. It's a great school. I love the school."

Texas in close contact: Jackson said he talks to Chris Vaughn on Twitter about every other day. UCLA, Miami and Florida State are other schools he mentioned that are recruiting him hard.

No timetable: Jackson said he's going to "take it slow" and on his own time.

Bottom line ... don't look for any earth-shattering revelations following this week's visit, but getting him on campus again is big for Texas, and the Longhorns are in a good spot on this one. (Suchomel)

Other recruiting notes ...

--- There was a time when Rivals100 WR Mykel Jones was high on Texas, and vice versa, but it sounds like the Texas coaches have decided to focus their attention on other prospects.

Jones, out of Patterson (LA), said he's down to USC, Alabama, Tennessee, and LSU. But this one's more about Texas having other targets than it is Jones dropping UT.

--- Fort Worth All Saints Episcopan DT Michael Williams hasn't released a top 10 yet, but he said on Thursday that Texas will make the cut:

Williams was hoping to visit UT last weekend but his plans fell through. He's now planning to visit Texas sometime in July.

Texas is in within striking distance here, but Williams told me this week that Stanford is leading the rest of the pack. TCU, Ohio State and SMU are also schools being considered, in addition to those mentioned in his tweet.

I asked Williams how big Stanford's lead is over the other programs ...

"It's not that big. I'm not even in the school yet. I still have to do the admissions thing. So that'll be big. And that's kind of far away. I have things to think about." (Suchomel)

Killeen Shoemaker DE Rahssan Thornton committed to LSU this week, but something tells me this one may not be over if Texas decides to stay on Thornton.

This comment from a good source of mine about a week ago ...

"(LSU leads) primarily because of the offer. Texas really just needs to recruit him hard. LSU is the school to beat but he has been to Texas a bunch and they are in his top three without an offer (UT has since offered). Even if he commits to LSU, Texas still has a good chance." (Suchomel)

Bomb...any chance we can get an early commit from Whaley? I think he has Pied Piper potential

From all accounts D. Jackson is supposed to be the Malik of this class, what I mean by that is he will have an impact on other recruits because of his contagious personality and work ethic.

chris%20brown.jpg

Chris Brown ..... Alief Elsik (Houston, TX)
3-star ..... DB ..... 5-11/183​

Brown holds 17 offers after recording 43 tackles, five INTs, and eight PBUs as a junior.

Per BON:
[T]he fact that Jim Harbaugh, Mark Dantonio, and Bob Stoops all think Chris Brown can play? That's a much more ringing endorsement than the rankings, which don't really do Brown any justice.

Brown posted a 4.47 shuttle at the Dallas The Opening Regional back in March, as well as a 35.7-inch vertical -- so he's an explosive athlete, though not elite in his agility.

Brown can run the alley and finish with force from his deep safety position, so he's not a guy who will have to learn how to hit when he arrives at his college destination. He also has good ball skills, can step up in coverage and then flip his hips to transition, so he's a pretty complete safety overall.

Watching his film, it's hard to understand how he's a mid three-star prospect.

If Texas can eventually land Brown, he has the look of a Charlie Strong developmental special -- a three-star prospect with some serious upside who could grow into a longtime contributor if he can maximize his talent.

[View his Hudl]

Jordan Elliot posted a Hookem on his Twitter yesterday afternoon. Are we on a flip watch?

He's having an eye opening experience, he's a flip candidate...no doubt. I doubt anytime soon.

Elliot will flip around signing day, no rush with him. These kids are finally seeing what Strong can do for them.
Malik saw it last year after being an Aggie lean for two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT