ADVERTISEMENT

2018 spring football roster released - some notes

Steve-O-Matic

May 29, 2001
The 2018 spring roster is now posted on TexasSports.com. A few notes...

• As known/expected, Reggie Hemphill-Mapps, Jake McMillon and Terrell Cuney are no longer with the program.
  • As rumored, Garrett Gray, Alex Anderson and Garrett Thomas are no longer listed with the program.
  • There are no other names missing that haven't previously been known/expected.
  • Breckyn Hager is back to being listed as a LB.
  • Max Cummins is now listed as a TE.
  • JC transfer OL Mikey Grandy is listed at 6-4, 320 pounds, likely confirming that he will be at OG.
  • Incoming freshman QB Cameron Rising is listed at 235 pounds.
  • There are no jersey number changes listed (yet), incl. Cummins.

Reactions: westx
PJ Locke must have caught a NASTY parasite, they have him down to 120 pounds!

Also:

-Chris Brown grew three inches from last roster:)
-TQ Graham is up to 290lbs
-Xmas is still on the roster!
-Cosmi listed at 290lbs
-Tristian Houston is still on the roster. Would like to see what he can do healthy
-Max Cummins at TE: optimistic about him as TE, but he was in a giant leg brace during the bowl game, hope he gets healthy

The 2018 spring roster is now posted on TexasSports.com. A few notes...

• As known/expected, Reggie Hemphill-Mapps, Jake McMillon and Terrell Cuney are no longer with the program.
  • As rumored, Garrett Gray, Alex Anderson and Garrett Thomas are no longer listed with the program.
  • There are no other names missing that haven't previously been known/expected.
  • Breckyn Hager is back to being listed as a LB.
  • Max Cummins is now listed as a TE.
  • JC transfer OL Mikey Grandy is listed at 6-4, 320 pounds, likely confirming that he will be at OG.
  • Incoming freshman QB Cameron Rising is listed at 235 pounds.
  • There are no jersey number changes listed (yet), incl. Cummins.
Thanks StevoO. I will be looking to the Shark Jeffrey McCulloch to have a break out year and the secondary to shine again. I don't want to talk offense because I am enjoying the off season so far.

Thanks StevoO. I will be looking to the Shark Jeffrey McCulloch to have a break out year and the secondary to shine again. I don't want to talk offense because I am enjoying the off season so far.
My pleasure. I definitely think that McCullouch should represent an upgrade over Hughes at the B-backer position this season, particularly as a pass rusher. Not sure I share your enthusiasm with the secondary though, as I feel the losses of Elliott and Hill will really be felt in 2017. I'm projecting the impact of this year's recruiting class in the secondary to be really felt in 2019 and beyond. A core quintet of Boyd, Davis, Jones, Locke and Bonney in 2018 is a savvy group of veterans, but somewhat devoid (on aggregate) of top-shelf athleticism and play-making ability. That won't be said of the 6 DB's brought in with this new freshman class.

My pleasure. I definitely think that McCullouch should represent an upgrade over Hughes at the B-backer position this season, particularly as a pass rusher. Not sure I share your enthusiasm with the secondary though, as I feel the losses of Elliott and Hill will really be felt in 2017. I'm projecting the impact of this year's recruiting class in the secondary to be really felt in 2019 and beyond. A core quintet of Boyd, Davis, Jones, Locke and Bonney in 2018 is a savvy group of veterans, but somewhat devoid (on aggregate) of top-shelf athleticism and play-making ability. That won't be said of the 6 DB's brought in with this new freshman class.

Boyd and Jones definitely have top shelf athleticism/play-making ability. Davis and Locke might too. Holton Hill and Elliot were unknowns at this time last year as well. Elliot hadn't even been a starter and Hill was Jekyll and Hyde his first two years. Also, Bonney is a 5th year vet with numerous starts at CB, S, and NB.

Fwiw one of the best things about spring ball is that for the first time in a long time all of our coaching staff is intact. For the remaining players from the 2014 and '15 classes this has to be welcoming news. Maybe this will help those players to raise their game. The NCAA has allowed teams to add an extra asst coach. Let's hope that addition will be a smooth transition.

Boyd and Jones definitely have top shelf athleticism/play-making ability. Davis and Locke might too.
Disagree with you there, with the exception of Boyd. My point was that the group as a whole (thus my use of the term "on aggregate") doesn't possess the type of natural athleticism and play-making ability of our incoming freshman crop of DB's. I expect that group, in a couple of years, to be much more effective than this 2018 group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT