ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

Exactly. I rest my case.
I think your case got destroyed. Every single guy on there was highly rated except Brian Robison (how many 5 star white DL's are there gonna be LOL). And on top of that they were about 40% five stars. That's INSANE stats.

I think your case got destroyed. Every single guy on there was highly rated except Brian Robison (how many 5 star white DL's are there gonna be LOL). And on top of that they were about 40% five stars. That's INSANE stats.

Sigh. My case is that one does not have to be a 5 star to be great. That 5 star ranking is not the be all end all.

You gave a list of greats that included not even half 5 stars. Let's just say 10 of them were 5 stars to be nice. That's still only half of them. That means over what, 14, 15 years, we didn't get a 5 star every year. Yet we still always had freaks.

This means a lot of 3 and 4 stars turned about to be great, despite idiotic recruiting rankings. Destroyed? Lol. You made my case.

Sigh. My case is that one does not have to be a 5 star to be great. That 5 star ranking is not the be all end all.

You gave a list of greats that included not even half 5 stars. Let's just say 10 of them were 5 stars to be nice. That's still only half of them. That means over what, 14, 15 years, we didn't get a 5 star every year. Yet we still always had freaks.

This means a lot of 3 and 4 stars turned about to be great, despite idiotic recruiting rankings. Destroyed? Lol. You made my case.
NONE of them were three stars except for one guy. And there is an extremely small amount of five star guys in the whole nation in any given year.

NONE of them were three stars except for one guy. And there is an extremely small amount of five star guys in the whole nation in any given year.

How do you keep missing the point? My whole point was just because we're not loaded with 5 stars, doesn't mean we're not getting great players. 5 stars. 5 stars. 5 stars, do you get it yet? It was all about 5 stars. I don't care how many were 3 or 4 stars, my point was that those guys can still be freaks.

Btw, 3 of those guys, three of the best on the list, were most certainly NOT 4, or even 3 star DL recruits. They were RBs.

Beat me to it. Houston, Melton, and Whaley were are jumbo back recruits.

Houston, Melton, and Whaley were not three stars. They were all very highly rated national top 100 four stars. In fact they were much closer to 5 stars than 3 stars. Yes Melton got a chance at RB and Whaley got two minutes only, Houston none. However, they all ended up and stayed where everyone suspected they would....on the DL as freaks.

I hope this is true and not just blind fan optimism. I'm confident Herman will eventually get there but it may be 1-3 years away to being full steam. The differences that still separate the current team from the dominate teams of the Mack Brown era are:
1.) good QB's
2.) Freaks on the DL
3.) better OL

There were ALWAYS freaks on the DL...

Hampton
Rodgers
Brian Robison
Rod Wright
Tim Crowder
Okam
Orakpo
Roy Miller
Henry Melton
Lamar Houston
Kindle
Eddie Jones
Sam Acho
Kheeston Randall
Alex Okafor
Chris Whaley
Jeffcoat
Dorsey
Malcom Brown
Ridgeway
If you read the article above, DL is important but it's the team speed with size that is more important as spread offenses have negated the advantage of recruiting large immovable DL. The linebackers are key. We need a replacement for gj.

Last edited:
If you read the article above, DL is important but it's the team speed with size that is more important as spread offenses have negated the advantage of recruiting large immovable DL. The linebackers are key. We need a replacement for gj.

Especially in the Big 12

Especially in the Big 12

Look at your adopted big bro... (Tua) and all the passing that is going on at Bama. Looks like the backward $ec is learning, albeit behind the curve.

Orlando's D would do well in the $ec because it is easily adaptable to stopping many offensive schemes including running teams, think run blitz. He would run a heavy nickel package against $ec teams.

Last edited:
Relax. They're coming. Herman intentionally takes longer with OL because he wants to be able to evaluate them on their senior year film. OL take longer to develop, which is why he also prefers to redshirt them. This is his process, so you might as well get used to it.

As far as DL, we may never get that many highly rated guys. The kind of DL Orlando loves for his defense, are not the typical guys that get high ratings. Sweat and that kid that decommitted from TCU are not highly rated DEs because they're not as tall as higher rated ones, but they're the perfect fit for Orlando. I'm gonna trust Orlando on this one.
we need more than 5 or 6 capable lineman thats my only point. we are 1 olineman injury away from last years oline

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
Cuero will be in Austin tomorrow playing Eastside Memorial if anybody wants to go see Jordan Whittington. However, Eastside is 0-7, so get there early. Jordan might not be in the game too long. Lol

Just a reminder that we might just be getting a hotshot WR from St Louis this evening around 6PM CST. And his hot shot APB teammate in the next class who's been a UT lean sure seems happy about it.

Missouri pipeline: A.Adeoye, D.Carson, M.Washington, M.Cooper, S.Cooper?

Will also mark the 7th state recruited in this class: TX, OK, AZ, CA, FL, GA, MO

https://247sports.com/Player/Marcus-Washington-91666/

https://247sports.com/Player/Mookie-Cooper-46039953/

https://www.burntorangenation.com/r...r-recruitment-commitment-date-time-television

Scholz was correct, the WR committed. Big time fill at a huge need. May have to go into next season losing Collin Johnson, LJH, Heard, and Burt leaving only: Duvernay (not a #1 WR just a role player), Pouncey, Eagles, Moore, Woodard, and whatever true freshmen show up.

Reactions: Scholz
Good get but not a huge need. We've already got two day one impact receivers coming in January as early enrollees. Still in the hunt for Bru McCoy as well.

Duvernay is a speed burner and could very well be the #1 receiver if CJ and LJH leave, and right now that's still a big "if".

Just a reminder that we might just be getting a hotshot WR from St Louis this evening around 6PM CST. And his hot shot APB teammate in the next class who's been a UT lean sure seems happy about it.

Will also mark the 7th state recruited in this class: TX, OK, AZ, CA, FL, GA, MO

https://www.burntorangenation.com/r...r-recruitment-commitment-date-time-television

That state list is impressive stuff! We're gonna be loaded at WR again next season.

Now if we can get another 325 lb. tackle!
:rolleyes:

Good get but not a huge need. We've already got two day one impact receivers coming in January as early enrollees. Still in the hunt for Bru McCoy as well.

Duvernay is a speed burner and could very well be the #1 receiver if CJ and LJH leave, and right now that's still a big "if".
I disagree. I don't want to rely on the hope of hitting the jackpot with guys that are still in high school right now. Plus they are both slot type receivers and Washington is a big body. Also, Duvy is a one trick pony that doesn't have half the skill set CJ and LJH do.

Really hoping that at least one of CJ or LJH stay. I'm going to enjoy them now as they might be the greatest WR duo the Horns have ever had.

I disagree. I don't want to rely on the hope of hitting the jackpot with guys that are still in high school right now. Plus they are both slot type receivers and Washington is a big body. Also, Duvy is a one trick pony that doesn't have half the skill set CJ and LJH do.

Really hoping that at least one of CJ or LJH stay. I'm going to enjoy them now as they might be the greatest WR duo the Horns have ever had.

I don't think that LJH has done nearly enough to warrant a draft slot better than a late round selection. He may have an attitude issue as well. The twitter deal as well as tonight's suspension.

Correct. This is what a blue blood program does when a Lil bro program is doling out cash in state like crazy. Texas recruiting appeal is universal and worldwide.

ADVERTISEMENT