ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

Inside Texas had a recruiting percentages article this morning, and below is what they wrote on RB Trey Sanders.

Up until now, they haven't given UT much of a chance.

The fit: Explosive big back who can run inside or outside, with speed or with power. "He's the best running back out this way since Dalvin Cook," said one source. To which I responded, "he looks way different than I remember as a junior." He didn’t look like a five-star to me until this year.

The recruitment: This recruitment threw me for a loop yesterday. In the span of about 10 minutes both Justin and me heard positives regarding Texas. I've been very cautious (to put it mildly)on UT's chances thus far, but now I could see them landing the five-star.

Timeline: December for the early enrollee. He still has an official visit to Alabama for the Iron Bowl which is obviously a concern. He took his official visit to Texas for the USC game.

Percentages: 40% - Texas, 40% - Alabama, 20% - Florida

Also, we have 2 silent commits currently. One is supposed to be Missouri WR Marcus Washington who is announcing this Friday. The other committed yesterday and could announce as early as tomorrow. Not supposed to be a surprise. I would guess Odessa ATH Peyton Powell.

Rumors are Powell will announce his verbal commitment today.

He's in. Texas beat out OU and tOSU.

For those that don't know this guy runs a legit 4.4 and has a 37" vertical.

DqNmzbRUwAEEZmB.jpg

Last edited:
We are the only big school (other than Oregon) to have top recruiting class but no 5-stars. We barely had any last year. We need to land some elite talent.

When are we gonna learn that these recruiting rankings are not the be all end all for defining elite talent? We've had our share of 5 stars that didn't do shit, and 3 stars that proved to be elite. Yes it's nice for bragging rights, but it's not a need to pile up 5 stars.

Take Jordan Whittington for example. The only reason he's not a 5 star, is he didn't participate in the summer camps. How dumb is that? T'vondre Sweat is a 3-star? Even dumber. Jake Smith looks like a 5 star to me as well.

Don't let the idiots that make these rankings define your satisfaction with our recruiting.

When are we gonna learn that these recruiting rankings are not the be all end all for defining elite talent? We've had our share of 5 stars that didn't do shit, and 3 stars that proved to be elite. Yes it's nice for bragging rights, but it's not a need to pile up 5 stars.

Take Jordan Whittington for example. The only reason he's not a 5 star, is he didn't participate in the summer camps. How dumb is that? T'vondre Sweat is a 3-star? Even dumber. Jake Smith looks like a 5 star to me as well.

Don't let the idiots that make these rankings define your satisfaction with our recruiting.
I don't think we need 5-stars in order to win games. And I definitely don't want to take a 5-star who isn't a good culture fit just b/c he's a big time talent. But I do think it will be an indication of the country at large fully buying in to our program. The lack at the moment signals to me a bit of a hesitancy still, like the shoe could drop at any moment and UT could fall back down. Once people knew Georgia was for real, they started getting big-time 5-star talent. Once we are able to convince some 5-stars, that will mean we've made an official impression on the country (especially the young players).

alabama has 22 total recruits and 13 of those are offensive or defensive lineman. Georgia has 9 of 17 lineman. we cannot continue to ignore the trenches.

Reactions: Cotton #12
alabama has 22 total recruits and 13 of those are offensive or defensive lineman. Georgia has 9 of 17 lineman. we cannot continue to ignore the trenches.

Relax. They're coming. Herman intentionally takes longer with OL because he wants to be able to evaluate them on their senior year film. OL take longer to develop, which is why he also prefers to redshirt them. This is his process, so you might as well get used to it.

As far as DL, we may never get that many highly rated guys. The kind of DL Orlando loves for his defense, are not the typical guys that get high ratings. Sweat and that kid that decommitted from TCU are not highly rated DEs because they're not as tall as higher rated ones, but they're the perfect fit for Orlando. I'm gonna trust Orlando on this one.

Relax. They're coming. Herman intentionally takes longer with OL because he wants to be able to evaluate them on their senior year film. OL take longer to develope, which is why he also prefers to redshirt them. This is his process, so you might as well get used to it.

As far as DL, we may never get that many highly rated guys. The kind of DL Orlando loves for his defense, are not the typical guys that get high ratings. Sweat and that kid that decommitted from TCU are not highly rated DEs because they're not as tall as higher rated ones, but they're the perfect fit for Orlando. I'm gonna trust Orlando on this one.
Agreed, plus with Ojomo, Coburn, Ossai, and Williams in the fold from last years class we’ll be fine depth wise.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Is Powell projected as a QB, or another position?
He’s going to start at QB I believe. But he could play WR and/or S/NB. He’s a ++ athlete. The depth chart will sort itself out (ala D.Jamison this year-who might switch back to defense next year). Usually it’s where the player can see the field quicker.

He’s going to start at QB I believe. But he could play WR and/or S/NB. He’s a ++ athlete. The depth chart will sort itself out (ala D.Jamison this year-who might switch back to defense next year). Usually it’s where the player can see the field quicker.

I think Johnson will end up as the QB of the future at Texas.

Relax. They're coming. Herman intentionally takes longer with OL because he wants to be able to evaluate them on their senior year film. OL take longer to develop, which is why he also prefers to redshirt them. This is his process, so you might as well get used to it.

Why D line isn't the same. We don't need 2 NT's.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlon...rlando-cutting-edge-defensive-coordinator?amp

Reactions: Metcalf #2

I hope this is true and not just blind fan optimism. I'm confident Herman will eventually get there but it may be 1-3 years away to being full steam. The differences that still separate the current team from the dominate teams of the Mack Brown era are:
1.) good QB's
2.) Freaks on the DL
3.) better OL

There were ALWAYS freaks on the DL...

Hampton
Rodgers
Brian Robison
Rod Wright
Tim Crowder
Okam
Orakpo
Roy Miller
Henry Melton
Lamar Houston
Kindle
Eddie Jones
Sam Acho
Kheeston Randall
Alex Okafor
Chris Whaley
Jeffcoat
Dorsey
Malcom Brown
Ridgeway

I hope this is true and not just blind fan optimism. I'm confident Herman will eventually get there but it may be 1-3 years away to being full steam. The differences that still separate the current team from the dominate teams of the Mack Brown era are:
1.) good QB's
2.) Freaks on the DL
3.) better OL

There were ALWAYS freaks on the DL...

Hampton
Rodgers
Brian Robison
Rod Wright
Tim Crowder
Okam
Orakpo
Roy Miller
Henry Melton
Lamar Houston
Kindle
Eddie Jones
Sam Acho
Kheeston Randall
Alex Okafor
Chris Whaley
Jeffcoat
Dorsey
Malcom Brown
Ridgeway

How many guys on that list were 5 star recruits?

ADVERTISEMENT