ADVERTISEMENT

#21 Texas versus Incarnate Word

RoboCocks21

Sep 25, 2014
Dallas, Texas
1st game of the season. Basketball is upon us folks. We have something to look for. Roach and Mack are out for this game due to suspension. And we already have the #8 class for next year and Shaka isn't done yet!

Hook 'Em

This team is clearly talented. Excited to see what coach Horn will do with the big men. With the way Shaka devlopes players this team should improve as the season goes along

Okay..i know we are young, but this is INCARNATE WORD. Why is this game so close?

This team is clearly talented. Excited to see what coach Horn will do with the big men. With the way Shaka devlopes players this team should improve as the season goes along

I sure hope so, because I'm not impressed at all. Very sloppy.

Nothing like the basketball season to help us forget our troubles.

(We could never truly forget about football, could we?)

it looked to me like we jumped to a quick lead, played a few guys that won't normally come in that early, UIW creeped back into it, and we didn't have the maturity to "turn it back on" until yancy kinda took over in the last few minutes. allan looked capable but a) can't make free throws and b) has no concept of help defense-- he thinks he is married to his man.

but at the beginning of last season i thought we looked horrible, and shaka kept getting them better and better. so while i don't like continuity pick and roll, i trust shaka to get them rolling again this year.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
OB Articles:

The good, bad and the blah of season-openers ...

As far as season-openers go, Shaka Smart’s second team in Austin played a nice little scrimmage against pesky Incarnate Word.

There was some good to build on, some ugly to stew on and a bunch of sloppiness that I won’t even count in the ugly because it’s the thing you can most expect in a scrim … er … season-opener.

It must have been frustrating for Smart to watch his team turn the ball over like it was playing on ice in the first half (11 turnovers), only to semi-correct that issue in the second half and turn into an Andrew Bynum-with-the-Cavs-in-practice kind of team in terms of shot selection. While there was effort all over the floor, this is clearly a team that won’t see it’s best basketball until this godforsaken year of death is in the ground.

Here are a few things that stood out outside of the first-game first-gameness.

A. Freshman supernova Jarrett Allen made putting the ball in the basket easier than anyone else on the team by a large margin. He played with such control and his touch around the rim was as natural as it could be. I don’t know how many touches/shots per game he needs each night, but he needs more than the 11 shots he took in 36 minutes. Texas got into trouble when it stopped feeding Allen in the post and started to throw up threes like the Longhorns had found $100 outside of their car in the street.

B. I really dig Allen’s fro.

C. Fellow freshman Jacob Young impressed off the bench, as he let the game and his offense come to him without forcing much. If anything, he probably should have looked for his own offense a little more in the second half.

D. I really can’t wait to see Tevin Mack and Kerwin Roach get back on the floor.

E. Rim protection was a problem in the first half and is probably going to be an issue when Texas faces teams that possess the ability to throw the ball down into the post with great effectiveness. The backside help is probably going to be a strength in that area of the floor because of the length, but mass and muscle will be issues going straight to the rim.

F. My favorite part of the game was in the final minutes when Allen threw himself on the floor to grab a loose ball that he was responsible for, took control of the ball and called time out in what was a 68-67 game at the time. That told me what I needed to know about the kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT