ADVERTISEMENT

Annual Offseason Thread of Firearms

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
It's almost time for spring restock of ammo and toys. Many of us ran through cases of shotgun shells during bird season and rifle rounds during deer season. Some of you are looking for a new toy. Others realize their town or city has crime skyrocketing because Joe Biden fvcking sucks and criminals are running wild and you need something to protect yourself, your property and your family. And some of you are simply collectors or hobbyists who may enjoy a good build from time to time.
I know @GuaranteedFresh! was looking for an SBR with an integrated hush puppy-- check out the new Sig Rattler...
I've got a buddy doing a build right now on a BCM with a folding stock.
I'm on the hunt for something compact for my Go bag. And I'm assembling my Dad's old bench and press in my garage so I can start doing hand loads.
Would love to pick up a DMR this year if I can find one that tweeks my niblets.
Anybody make any recommendations on a folding AR stock?

My granddad was a Texas Ranger/Dallas County Sheriff’s Deputy. I have his SAA Colt .44 service pistol. Serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1890s. Also own a Colt M1991A1.
Can you imagine being in a shoot out with a single action 6 shooter?
If yout grandpa was a Ranger- he probably knew Frank Haymer.

I have a friend that has an 1861 Colt navy revolver, 36 in pristine condition. It belonged to his great,great uncle who died while packing that him at the battle of Gettysburg. It was in brand new condition

I asked him if he knew how.much it was worth....he had no idea
I told him it was worth more than his house!

Reactions: echeese and freeper
Went to DU banquets Saturday night and ended up winning a Browning Citori 410. My first Grandson will be here in early July so that one’s already put up for him.

Reactions: freeper
Went to DU banquets Saturday night and ended up winning a Browning Citori 410. My first Grandson will be here in early July so that one’s already put up for him.
Damn. Nice door prize.

Yes sir. They stepped up this year. Missed out on a pheasant hunt in SD by $100 in the silent auction. That one hurt.

Yes sir. They stepped up this year. Missed out on a pheasant hunt in SD by $100 in the silent auction. That one hurt.
Years ago I flew up to Mitchell to hunt with my old man and brother. When we left Austin ot was like 80 degrees. I was in shorts and flip flops. When we landed in Soiux Falls it was 10 below zero. I walked ACROSS the Walmart parking lot in Soiux Falls to go in and buy my permit and shotgun shells while wearing shorts, flip flops and a short sleeve polo.
I gleefully caught stares and had a few comments hurled at me like "dontcha know it's cold outside?".
With a poon eating possum smile my response was "I'm from Texas. We don't get cold.....".
Mitchell SD is the best pheasant hunting in the USA.

I quit shotgunning after I lost the vision in my left eye. Still shooting rifles. Drew a TPWD hunt at Government Canyon this fall, shot a buck and a doe. 2 shots to check zero, 2 shots to kill 2 deer. Now Schuetzen season begins, I'll go through a lot of Eley Tenex. I may go through a brick.

I'm currently building my first AR and ordering parts here and there when I see something on sale. Which BCG is recommended? I'm leaning to a Bravo Company one but they cost a little more. Is it worth the extra $30-$40 over a cheaper one?

I'm currently building my first AR and ordering parts here and there when I see something on sale. Which BCG is recommended? I'm leaning to a Bravo Company one but they cost a little more. Is it worth the extra $30-$40 over a cheaper one?
BCM is solid. You'll get your monies worth.

Reactions: DHHorn
Can you imagine being in a shoot out with a single action 6 shooter?
If yout grandpa was a Ranger- he probably knew Frank Haymer.
Grandad worked out of the same building in downtown Dallas where Ruby shot Oswald. After some research, I discovered that he passed in 1962. Would have made a heck of a story had he been there… the Colt might be worth a lot more if he had.

I also have his deputy sheriff’s badge.

I’ve shown the pistol to a few “experts” at a couple of gun shows who tell me it isn’t worth much… he had it nickel-plated. Other than that, it’s in great condition.

Last edited:
Just bought a Daniel Defense M4 from one of my kid’s buddies. .223 / 5.56 compatible. Hypothetically, if I was going to own multiple AR style weapons, they would all cycle the ammo choice of our most likely adversary.
5.56 NATO.

Just bought a Daniel Defense M4 from one of my kid’s buddies. .223 / 5.56 compatible. Hypothetically, if I was going to own multiple AR style weapons, they would all cycle the ammo choice of our most likely adversary.
5.56 NATO.
Ha. That was my Dad's thing. He had unusual caliber weapons- 300 WBY mag- 300 ultra mag- 22-250 -- 28 Guage shotty...
But he told me- to own one of each-
9mm
12 ga
7.62 x 51
7.62 x 39

He used to say "If that day ever comes, there'll be plenty of that lying around."

It's almost time for spring restock of ammo and toys. Many of us ran through cases of shotgun shells during bird season and rifle rounds during deer season. Some of you are looking for a new toy. Others realize their town or city has crime skyrocketing because Joe Biden fvcking sucks and criminals are running wild and you need something to protect yourself, your property and your family. And some of you are simply collectors or hobbyists who may enjoy a good build from time to time.
I know @GuaranteedFresh! was looking for an SBR with an integrated hush puppy-- check out the new Sig Rattler...
I've got a buddy doing a build right now on a BCM with a folding stock.
I'm on the hunt for something compact for my Go bag. And I'm assembling my Dad's old bench and press in my garage so I can start doing hand loads.
Would love to pick up a DMR this year if I can find one that tweeks my niblets.
Anybody make any recommendations on a folding AR stock?
That rattler sure is sleek. I likey

If a doomsday scenario were to unfold where everything collapsed back into pre-developed times, a scoped 22 would be the best imo. Accurate, cheap, considerably lower decibles even with no silencer, and you can easily carry 1000s of rds in a small backpack.

Ha. That was my Dad's thing. He had unusual caliber weapons- 300 WBY mag- 300 ultra mag- 22-250 -- 28 Guage shotty...
9mm
12 ga
7.62 x 51
7.62 x 39

He used to say "If that day ever comes, there'll be plenty of that lying around."
Your dad was a sage man....that sounds awfully similar to the advice I gave my boy......

Reactions: Etlonghorn
9mm
12 ga
7.62 x 51
7.62 x 39

My Dad had pretty much the same list for the same reason. Except for the 7.62s.
The cool part is that I’ve got all the others that belonged to him. I bought all my own but have passed them on to my sons. His are all in one of my safes and I’m thinking they’ll get passed down to the Grandkids.

Since we’re talking about off-season gun threads, does anyone have a good recommendation for custom rifles? I’m thinking about having a couple of custom rifles built (single shot preferably) to pass down to the boys when I’m done.
Thinking something like Ruger #1 or a Winchester or Browning 1885 high wall for the action and then have them build it out custom from there.

Since we’re talking about off-season gun threads, does anyone have a good recommendation for custom rifles? I’m thinking about having a couple of custom rifles built (single shot preferably) to pass down to the boys when I’m done.
Thinking something like Ruger #1 or a Winchester or Browning 1885 high wall for the action and then have them build it out custom from there.
Single shot? Not bolt action?

Because if you want a custom bolt action-- I've got your man.

It's not even fair what I can do with one of these.

I’ve actually got a few custom bolt actions but none of them are Wiseman work. I’ve got a buddy that is talking to him about building him rifle in 6.5x55 Swede.

With these 2, I’m really just looking for something completely different for them to hopefully hand down through the family over the next few generations.

All this gun talk, (I know nothing about guns) don’t you need to pass a background check? Cause I’m sure a couple of you knuckleheads might be questionable. 🤨

9mm
12 ga
7.62 x 51
7.62 x 39

My days of roaming the mountains searching for muleys or elk are over. I wouldn't use a cartridge that I couldn't buy spares for at WalMart. Just in case the airline lost my ammo.

If a doomsday scenario were to unfold where everything collapsed back into pre-developed times, a scoped 22 would be the best imo. Accurate, cheap, considerably lower decibles even with no silencer, and you can easily carry 1000s of rds in a small backpack.
What's the best .22 mag that also has the best price?

Savage and Ruger both offer pretty good options that are probably mid $300s on price although I haven’t priced one in a while so they might have walked up some.
I’ve got a Browning that i really like. It comes with a bull barrel that is threaded from the factory. It’s more expensive but worth it in my opinion. It cost me $700+.

What's the best .22 mag that also has the best price?
ETLonghorn hit it on the head as far as I'm concerned. Whatever feels good in your hands is the best.
The last .22 I bought was a savage MKII at academy for around $300. Bolt action, scope rail, threaded barrel, 5rd mag included. In a pinch you  can shoot shorts but if your maintenance isn't frequent you'll risk gumming it up. Decent mini plinker.

There's a laundry list of .22s under $200.

Fresh is dead on with MKII. It’s a really good deal and you would not be disappointed in it at all.
My “World has gone to Hell” gun is that Browning. With that bull barrel, a can of quiet, and a gallon ziplock bag full of ammo, I can take care of whatever comes my way. Don’t let the small caliber fool you. Bullet placement is your friend whether it be for food or foe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT