ADVERTISEMENT

Annual Offseason Thread of Firearms

He didn't have a choice what he got to carry.
Jeez @clob94, I don't know how old you think I am, but you aren't far off. When I got hired, shortly after "Lone Wolf Gonzales retired, I had a buddy who had already been a cop for 5 years and had his FFL. He tells me I can borrow his S&W 686 for my first year on, since he knew money would be short. (I was in my 20s and all spare money was invested in booze and broads). I had also fired his 686, was comfortable with it and thought it was mighty nice of him since I could then save for a year and then decide what I wanted to pack on a more permanent basis.

So there I was, minding my own bidness, fat, dumb and happy, sitting in my academy class on Day 1. We get the welcome aboard speech from the Chief and then a Captain, and then....in walks the department range officer who promptly announces that we all need to cut him a check for $500. The department had decided, with my academy class, to begin the switchover to .45 cal semi-automatic handguns and we were required to purchase them. The weapon we would be buying was the S&W 4506. There was no choice involved. I spent most of my first paycheck just getting equipped.

Sure I was pissed at first, but man I came to love that gun. I shot lights out with it and it definitely got someone's attention when you pointed it in their direction. Sadly my ex-wife has it somewhere in Nevada now.

Reactions: clob94
my son was just telling me about his latest rifle. He said it was something from an AR-15 frame, but with a Necked up to 30 cal bullet. .....sub sonic. he said with the "suppresser" it had a barrel length of around 16 inches. He said it was no louder than a pellet gun and was very accurate at short range. I cant wait to see it. He called it something like a Dark 30 or black 30....something like that. I suspect Fresh might have an idea what I am talking about.

my son was just telling me about his latest rifle. He said it was something from an AR-15 frame, but with a Necked up to 30 cal bullet. .....sub sonic. he said with the "suppresser" it had a barrel length of around 16 inches. He said it was no louder than a pellet gun and was very accurate at short range. I cant wait to see it. He called it something like a Dark 30 or black 30....something like that. I suspect Fresh might have an idea what I am talking about.
300 blackout.

Imagine a 223 casing necked up to a 30 cal bullet. Fresh and his guys were shooting dudes with 5.56 rounds and the skinny camel humpers weren't stopping the rounds from passing through them. They'd go through the baddies, then through the mud hut walls, then through the innocent bystander in the adjacent room. So the 300 blackout was brought in because it had better knockdown power and slower bullet speed and wouldn't zip through guys and cause casualties behind them.
Problem with the 300 blackout is that once you get out about a hundred yards, those subsonic rounds start falling REALLY fast. Definitely don't want to be using them for distance shooting.

But they're HELL on piggies.

yeah he says he is shooting it at 40 yds from a bow blind.

as for that 5.56 passing through guys....when the M-16 first hit the battle field, the bullet had a wobble. when it hit anything it did so much damage (like completely ripping off arms and such) that it was not deemed proper for combat.

@clob94 nailed it. For $100-$200 you can buy a .30 upper (no registration required) and shoot .300 using the same mags as 5.56/223. Just be sure to plainly mark mags loaded with .300 so you dont accidently try to send one down the original pipe...it happens.
.300blk has very similar ballistics as 7.62x39. They are made up to 220 grain with has them around 1000fps at muzzle. Slap on a hush can and you're hearing your bolt carrier cycle.
The ammo is fairly pricey and you'll go through a box trying to sight it in. 220 grain drops 17.8" @ 100yds.

Fresh, I’m sure you meant that you COULD buy one without registration but being the good citizen that you are, you make sure to register everything you have with the Feds…

We use the 300 for pig patrol on both our places. We've got pig lights on all our feed stations and since we’re pretty much bow only during hunting season, we’re inside 50 yards for pigs.

Fresh, I’m sure you meant that you COULD buy one without registration but being the good citizen that you are, you make sure to register everything you have with the Feds…
Nope. ATF does not consider an ar15 upper (barrel) to be a firearm so no background check needed. Order online and it ships directly to your home.

Now if you want a short barrel rifle (less than 16" barrel or 26" overall length) that requires $200 ATF tax stamp & up to a year wait.

Thoughts on 6.5 grendel vs .223 Wylde for multi purpose gun. Deer hunting, hog hunting, predator hunting, recreational shooting, home defense etc.

I know the 6.5 has more power for hunting but I don't like the price per bullet if I want to go shoot a few mags at the range. Is the 223 enough for deer hunting? I have bigger deer rifles but I like the low recoil and collapsible stock for my 8 year old to shoot. He can't really shoulder an adult size rifle yet but once he gets bigger he'll use one of my deer rifles and I don't want to buy a youth model for one or two years.

My opinion, using the .223 for deer is for experts. Like the 28 ga for doves. Yes, an expert may enjoy it. But there is little margin for error. I believe the .223 is likely to be too small for a clean kill for an 8 year old. .243 is widely available (unlike grendel and Wylde), low recoil, but offers wider margin of lethality.

My opinion, using the .223 for deer is for experts. Like the 28 ga for doves. Yes, an expert may enjoy it. But there is little margin for error. I believe the .223 is likely to be too small for a clean kill for an 8 year old. .243 is widely available (unlike grendel and Wylde), low recoil, but offers wider margin of lethality.
Yeah, I have a .243 but it's an adult size stock and not a youth model. I don't want to have to buy a youth model for him if I don't have to. That's why I was hoping to get the kid to shoot a .223 AR that has a collapsible stock. Maybe I'll just get him to practice with my .243 more, it's just a little long for him right now but he'll be in a blind with a rest anyway.

I have a SAKO 243 that I hunted deer with for over 30 years. It is literally a "one hole" rifle. All you had to do was show that rifle a deer and it was meat on the table. The best shot I ever made with it was a coyote trotting at 357 paces free hand.

Thoughts on 6.5 grendel vs .223 Wylde for multi purpose gun. Deer hunting, hog hunting, predator hunting, recreational shooting, home defense etc.

I know the 6.5 has more power for hunting but I don't like the price per bullet if I want to go shoot a few mags at the range. Is the 223 enough for deer hunting? I have bigger deer rifles but I like the low recoil and collapsible stock for my 8 year old to shoot. He can't really shoulder an adult size rifle yet but once he gets bigger he'll use one of my deer rifles and I don't want to buy a youth model for one or two years.
Check it out....

The military is about to switch from the 5.56 to the 6.8 SPC. Now-- it's not a DONE deal yet, and there will be some pushback, but they want more knock down power in a small round, and the 5.56, as AWESOME as it's been, just doesn't have the KO power that the 6.8 SPC does. So, if you want to roll the dice on cheap ammo in the future, buy your kid an AR that shoots 6.8 SPC. Plenty of power to take down any hooved animal in North America.
If you want relatively inexpensive ammo now with more than enough knockdown power-- buy him a 6.5 Creedmor in an AR platform. Super hot round. Flat shooting. Plenty of ooomf.

If a doomsday scenario were to unfold where everything collapsed back into pre-developed times, a scoped 22 would be the best imo. Accurate, cheap, considerably lower decibles even with no silencer, and you can easily carry 1000s of rds in a small backpack.

A simple .22 is a great choice for a survival scenario. Unfortunately, in a real world SHTF scenario, your biggest threat will be from other people, and a .22 alone just won’t cut it. This isn’t hyperbole either. A few years ago we had a run on gas on a random Wednesday (still don’t know what that was about). There were lines at gas stations and they were running out. We had stacked calls of fights breaking out and people pulling guns. It was nuts, and totally uncalled for… Now imagine that magnified by an actual breakdown of civilization and competition for resources. Even rational people will devolve when their survival is at stake.

Reactions: freeper
A simple .22 is a great choice for a survival scenario. Unfortunately, in a real world SHTF scenario, your biggest threat will be from other people, and a .22 alone just won’t cut it. This isn’t hyperbole either. A few years ago we had a run on gas on a random Wednesday (still don’t know what that was about). There were lines at gas stations and they were running out. We had stacked calls of fights breaking out and people pulling guns. It was nuts, and totally uncalled for… Now imagine that magnified by an actual breakdown of civilization and competition for resources. Even rational people will devolve when their survival is at stake.
The first 96 hours would be the worst. Just go and look at any society that has been thwarted in the last 75 years. It's literally a carbon copy.
First, the power and comms are gone. There's confusion. The citizens in surrounding areas don't know what is happening. The shortwave radio becomes essential for news. Then word spreads. Then, panic sets in. Then the looting starts. Typically the looting starts slowly, targeting food and water and essentials. Then, ppl see the looting and realize THEY too must loot because they need supplies. Then the HUGE wave of looting starts and that's when things turn confrontational. Typically the worst looting is after the first 24 hours. Then it runs for the next 48 hours-- in horrible fashion. The last 24 hours are the buzzard ppl picking through what's left over, and picking off those that may have supplies but no way to defend themselves.
Then there's a lull. After the lull, supplies start running short again folks venture out to try and procure more, or raid the homes of those that they know have more supplies and probably aren't armed. This is when the bodies start stacking up for the 2nd time.
Then they start killing their pets and animals in the streets.
Cannibalism is the last resort and usually takes a couple of months before that kicks in.
I joke about having pecan trees, oak trees, orange and lemon trees, and crab apple trees at our place in the country-- but let me tell you-- that sh!t will keep a family alive for a looooong time. And those acorns can be brewed into acorn beer. Don't believe me? Its what saved the pilgrims that first harsh winter when they came to America.

What you need is essentials....things like baling wire....birds nests...ball moss.. magnifying glass. A good ax, a great knife and a good net sack

And those acorns can be brewed into acorn beer. Don't believe me? Its what saved the pilgrims that first harsh winter when they came to America.
Those acorns can also be mashed after sufficient, (like two weeks) of soaking. Then they can be ground into a paste and made into cakes. Was a staple for Indians out west. The wife made them once, very labor intensive but its calories most don't know about.

First things first, if SHTF step 1 would be to immediately get the f*** out of any urban or densely populated areas. Doesn't matter what caliber you have when you're competing with hundreds of thousands for the same finite resources. It's bushcraft survival time, that's why I'd prefer a .22.

You can do what you need to do without drawing attention to your existence. Be a ghost.

.22, a good knife, couple life straws or purification tabs, & Bic lighters.....g2g

First things first, if SHTF step 1 would be to immediately get the f*** out of any urban or densely populated areas. Doesn't matter what caliber you have when you're competing with hundreds of thousands for the same finite resources. It's bushcraft survival time, that's why I'd prefer a .22.

You can do what you need to do without drawing attention to your existence. Be a ghost.

.22, a good knife, couple life straws or purification tabs, & Bic lighters.....g2g
Good info.. IMO, I don't think it gets this bad in most of the US. Are living conditions going to get bad, yes. The collapse will not be overnight, it will be a slow grind to the bottom. This will allow for adjustment by those outside the city. The inner cities are already 'food deserts'. By the time the collapse is in full swing, most of the retail will be out of the cities. The remaining retail will close quickly with little or nothing to be looted. The subs and the country areas will be fine. The people in places, like where I live, are already prepared for the most part. Any mischief will be met with death. The fear of being killed by roaming vigilantes will keep most places in order. Stores will still be filling the shelves where self-policing takes place. Any grifters from the city will be watched closely. Bad behavior will be met with a quick and possibly painful death.

Debt-Jubilee is coming and it will take a few if not more forms.

1. Outright debt forgiveness is the first. It won't be granted to you by the banksters but the penalty of defaulting on debt will be wiped out. The 'credit' - score (it's really a slave score) will be meaningless. So many will default that not defaulting will be more painful than defaulting.
2. Money printing. They will have to print a lot of money and buy worthless government debt to backstop their banks. This is already in progress and will continue for some time. Eventually, the amount of currency in circulation skyrockets, and wages will skyrocket.
3. An end to wage suppression. Wages will skyrocket due to money printing and a lack of quality labor. The demographics in this country are bad. There are not enough people to provide the goods and services that the retirees want. Wages in relation to prices are going UP UP UP. Be a worker.
4. Negative interest. The short term rates on the yield curve will be negative. Anyone saving in the form of digital currency will be a payor of the debt. Don't be a saver in the traditional form. Taxes will be sky high. Learn to game the system by knowing the taxable amount that one can earn and stay in a lower bracket. Channel all other efforts to earning outside the digital system, like growing food, producing a good or service that can be traded for an alt currency etc.....

Now you know why starting WW3 is so needed by the banking sect.. Don't participate.

Last edited:

You still remember how to build a Dakota fire pit?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT