ADVERTISEMENT

Best Brisket I’ve had

Because you get plenty of smoky flavor with four hours on the pit. Beyond that is pointless. The key to making a great brisket is low and slow. I do a total of about eight hours. Four on the smoker and finish it wrapped in the oven. Most people wrap their brisket with foil after about four hours and leave it on the pit. There's no point. The smoke doesn't get through the foil. Clob, you should try the oven thing. Once you do, you'll see what I'm talking about.
What temps you using?

Brisket an lb is $22-26 at most BBQ spots. So if he’s getting half or a little less it’s spot on.
I'm old and likely out of touch with trends, but Mexican food was always great because it was really good AND cheap. At $11 a taco, that's pricing a lot of folks out of that market. Probably a sign of the times, but it's also a bit sad for this old fart. Still, I think I'll have some delivered.

225/250F on the smoker and 225F in the oven. I get a nice, crisp bark on my brisket. It's delicious, smoky, moist and tender.

Let me tell you a secret, you definitely cook it different in the oven, but have you thought about when you are wrapping it and putting it in the oven to put butter on it. Then wrap it up and put it in the oven? New school might of told old school something new.

I'm old and likely out of touch with trends, but Mexican food was always great because it was really good AND cheap. At $11 a taco, that's pricing a lot of folks out of that market. Probably a sign of the times, but it's also a bit sad for this old fart. Still, I think I'll have some delivered.
Tex Mex is usually cheap but BBQ today isn’t unfortunately. Once you add cost of beef, wood, time, and all other variables prices are sky high.

Because you get plenty of smoky flavor with four hours on the pit. Beyond that is pointless. The key to making a great brisket is low and slow. I do a total of about eight hours. Four on the smoker and finish it wrapped in the oven. Most people wrap their brisket with foil after about four hours and leave it on the pit. There's no point. The smoke doesn't get through the foil. Clob, you should try the oven thing. Once you do, you'll see what I'm talking about.
You've got to keep the juices flowing through it though. That's why you "turn" the brisket. Leaving it set on one side means the juices flow down to the bottom and the top gets dry.

You using a convection oven?

Let me tell you a secret, you definitely cook it different in the oven, but have you thought about when you are wrapping it and putting it in the oven to put butter on it. Then wrap it up and put it in the oven? New school might of told old school something new.
It would depend on how you prefer your bark. Adding fats when you are bringing up the internal temp seems redundant because slowly raising temp is to allow internal fat to render.

Adding butter to a wrapped brisket would probably make the bark a bit more soggy than I like. I bet the flavor is amaizing though.

I agree that you can get too much smoke. When I do a brisket, I season it liberally with kosher salt, course ground black pepper and garlic powder. Put in on the smoker at 225F for about four hours and then wrap it in foil and finish cooking it in the oven for about another four to five hours. There is no need to continue it on the smoker wrapped in foil, as the smoke can't get through the foil. By putting the brisket in the oven, you have consistent, low heat that is controlled and you don't have to maintain the fire like you do on the pit/smoker. It is ridiculously tender and delicious!
Yup, I pretty much only use my pellet smoker as an outdoor oven.

There really isn't a predetermined smoke time for me. I'll start occasionally looking at the color and bark formation after 2-3hrs and when it looks good it's all about getting internal to 190-195ish before it rests in an icechest minimum 1hr until serving time. Temp during resting usually raises a good 5-10deg before slowly coming back down. Don't know the physics behind it, it just happens.

For my way, the rest period makes or breaks the brisket. I've done 2 at the same time and the one that didn't go into the icechest tasted good but wasn't anywhere near as tender.

Reactions: LonghornMM
You've got to keep the juices flowing through it though. That's why you "turn" the brisket. Leaving it set on one side means the juices flow down to the bottom and the top gets dry.

You using a convection oven?

I flip the brisket when it's on the pit. Once in the oven, it's wrapped. Maybe one day you can try my brisket. I don't think that you'll be disappointed. It's definitely not "roast beef", lol.

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
I flip the brisket when it's on the pit. Once in the oven, it's wrapped. Maybe one day you can try my brisket. I don't think that you'll be disappointed. It's definitely not "roast beef", lol.
I'll take 1lb sliced in a vacuum sealed bag for judging reason sir.

Before anyone starts talking crap, YES, I love reheated brisket. Most, not all, bbq places serve it that way too.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Yup, I pretty much only use my pellet smoker as an outdoor oven.

There really isn't a predetermined smoke time for me. I'll start occasionally looking at the color and bark formation after 2-3hrs and when it looks good it's all about getting internal to 190-195ish before it rests in an icechest minimum 1hr until serving time. Temp during resting usually raises a good 5-10deg before slowly coming back down. Don't know the physics behind it, it just happens.

For my way, the rest period makes or breaks the brisket. I've done 2 at the same time and the one that didn't go into the icechest tasted good but wasn't anywhere near as tender.
It's a continued rendering of fat through thermal variation due to insulation. I actually studied this years ago. Long story.

It would depend on how you prefer your bark. Adding fats when you are bringing up the internal temp seems redundant because slowly raising temp is to allow internal fat to render.

Adding butter to a wrapped brisket would probably make the bark a bit more soggy than I like. I bet the flavor is amaizing though.

If I knew how to post pics I would show you

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
Bottom line, it's your brisket, ribs, pork, etc., and people cook it how they prefer. Kind of like the never ending debate over chili with beans or no beans. Make it how you like it. There are no set rules. The police aren't going to show up at your door and arrest you for how you make your brisket. At least not yet. The way things are going today though, you never know, lol.

Not at all like the chili debate. No f'ing way do beans belong in any good chili. Maybe in new york...

As I mentioned, it's personal preference. I make a mean pot of chili and put my own homemade pinto beans in it. It is to die for. You're not wrong for not putting beans in your chili, nor is anyone wrong for putting beans in their chili.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
As I mentioned, it's personal preference. I make a mean pot of chili and put my own homemade pinto beans in it. It is to die for. You're not wrong for not putting beans in your chili, nor is anyone wrong for putting beans in their chili.
It’s like the gumbo debate. Okra or not okra. Personally I like okra but my Cajun buddy down in Gonzales thinks it’s blasphemy and he doesn’t use it in his restaurant

Reactions: Lampasas
It’s like the gumbo debate. Okra or not okra. Personally I like okra but my Cajun buddy down in Gonzales thinks it’s blasphemy and he doesn’t use it in his restaurant

Fair point. I don't like okra in my gumbo, but it's a personal preference. No one is wrong for putting okra in their gumbo, or not putting it in.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Never had pinto in chili. I’m all meat when it comes to chili and not just ground beef. I don’t mind it either way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT