ADVERTISEMENT

Best Brisket I’ve had

In a high school chemistry class, the chemistry teacher would periodically make chili using the bunsen burners and beakers. He added Ranch Style pinto beans to his chili. He called it Train Wreck.
Many years later, I replicated the recipe and it was still outstanding.

Good chili starts with equal amounts of seared venison chili meat and cubed round steak. Lots of chili powder, some cumin and salt. Add liberal amounts of chopped jalapenos and seranos. Have some fresh cornbread on the side.
I got this recipe that got me 2nd place in our neighborhood cookoff. Not sure how I got 2nd should’ve been 1st but everyone said it was great oh well. Has a few different chilis in it so I guess it can get a little spicy.

Please share your recipe. :)
MEAT: 5 pounds total

• 3lbs ground beef 75/25 and 2lbs of fully cooked brisket
VEGGIES:

• Bell Pepper Trio: Red, Yellow or Green — seeded and diced
• 2-3 Jalapeno Chile Peppers: with seeds and finely minced
• 5 Garlic Cloves: finely minced
• 2 Small/MediumYellow Onions: diced
Oil

• 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
SPICES:

• Cumin Powder: 2 TBSP
• Chili Powder: 4 TBSP
• Onion Powder: 2 TBSP
• Red Pepper Flakes: 1 TBSP
• Light Brown Sugar: 1 TBSP
• Salt: 1TBSP
• Coarse Ground Pepper: 2 TBSP
FROM THE CAN:

• 7 oz can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
• 2 cans of Diced Tomatoes
• 1 can Tomato Sauce

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Sauté 3lb of 75/25 ground beef in heavy large pot over medium-high heat until no longer pink, breaking up with spoon. Drain the fat from the cooked beef.

2. Heat 2tbsp of oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, garlic and jalapeños. Sauté until vegetables begin to soften(translucent).

3. Add veggie mixture to pot with ground beef meatand chopped brisket.

4. Mix in salt, course ground pepper, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, lightbrown sugar and chipotle chilies.

5. Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Depending on HOW thick you like your chili, feel free to add beef broth

6. Bring chili to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often.

Last edited:

• 3lbs ground beer 75/25 and 2lbs of fully cooked brisket
VEGGIES:

Oil

SPICES:

FROM THE CAN:

• 1 can Tomato Sauce

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Sauté 3lb of 75/25 ground beef in heavy large pot over medium-high heat until no longer pink, breaking up with spoon. Drain the fat from the cooked beef.

2. Heat 2tbsp of oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, garlic and jalapeños. Sauté until vegetables begin to soften(translucent).

4. Mix in salt, course ground pepper, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, lightbrown sugar and chipotle chilies.

6. Bring chili to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often.
Yeah, you were robbed. Definitely a first place recipe.
Reckon you Dem neighbors were counting the votes?

• Haha
Reactions: LongfellowDrew
The neighbors used Dominion Systems to count the votes. LFD you were robbed.
I feel the same!
LFD, on the bell peppers, is that one of each color, or just one total? (your recipe says "red, yellow, or green")
i use them all (1 of each)but some people don’t like the sweetness of the yellow. But for me all of the peppers are good!

Reactions: LonghornMM

• 3lbs ground beer 75/25 and 2lbs of fully cooked brisket
VEGGIES:

Oil

SPICES:

FROM THE CAN:

• 1 can Tomato Sauce

INSTRUCTIONS

How the hell do you get grind 3lbs of beer? Jk buddy, I'm gonna give this a run but a bit slower in a dutch oven. It should come out good OR.... I'm gonna wreck it. 😆

How the hell do you get grind 3lbs of beer? Jk buddy, I'm gonna give this a run but a bit slower in a dutch oven. It should come out good OR.... I'm gonna wreck it. 😆
I use a dutch (Le Creuset) and it can just sit in the oven slow cooking if you want. And LMAO I didn’t even notice the beer part.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
I use a dutch (Le Creuset) and it can just sit in the oven slow cooking if you want. And LMAO I didn’t even notice the beer part.
I bought one of those a few years ago from Williams and Sonoma with the enamel--- Jesus christ was it expensive. Fvcking bbq pit price.

I bought one of those a few years ago from Williams and Sonoma with the enamel--- Jesus christ was it expensive. Fvcking bbq pit price.
I have a cheaper Lodge one that I've had for about 15 years and is still in good shape. I like to cook gumbo in it.

As I mentioned, it's personal preference. I make a mean pot of chili and put my own homemade pinto beans in it. It is to die for. You're not wrong for not putting beans in your chili, nor is anyone wrong for putting beans in their chili.

If you want some good beans use what I do Colorado Pintos , you can damn sure tell the diff, every one ask me what I do...lol that's my secret... Tery them MM, you might can get them at Wole foods, I get my from Moody's meats and he can't keep them in stock..,.

Just seasoned up a brisket. Going to put it on the pit first thing in the morning for dinner Saturday evening.

Hook'em!
Seasoning g messes a Brisket up..LOL I like to smole with Mesquite smoke for 4 hrs at the far end of the pit then build the fire up to 300 and let it go all night, you can slice it so easy..., every one in family comes to eat brisket at my house...

Reactions: freeper
Seasoning g messes a Brisket up..LOL I like to smole with Mesquite smoke for 4 hrs at the far end of the pit then build the fire up to 300 and let it go all night, you can slice it so easy..., every one in family comes to eat brisket at my house...
You mean you don’t put no salt or pepper just a 10-12lb chunk of meat in a smoker?

Reactions: StrangerHorn
There's no way in hell you can cook a piece of meat without seasoning and it be good. Salt, pepper, and garlic is all you need on brisket. Really you can just go S&P and be good, but you have to at least have those 2.

There's no way in hell you can cook a piece of meat without seasoning and it be good. Salt, pepper, and garlic is all you need on brisket. Really you can just go S&P and be good, but you have to at least have those 2.
The mesquite smoke flavors the meat,,smoke it for 4 hrs and you will see a perfect pink ring and good tasting , half of the BBQ guys here in CC do this and they sell the shit outa it

FB, I don't know where you get your brisket from, but where I get mine, it doesn't come seasoned, lol. You can't go wrong with kosher salt, course ground black pepper and garlic powder. Zach's brisket rub and Lawry's seasoned salt are pretty good as well.

FB, I don't know where you get your brisket from, but where I get mine, it doesn't come seasoned, lol. You can't go wrong with kosher salt, course ground black pepper and garlic powder. Zach's brisket rub and Lawry's seasoned salt are pretty good as well.
I'm a big fan of Lawry's seasoned salt. I don't use it on brisket a whole bunch but I use it all then time on pork ribs.

If you want some good beans use what I do Colorado Pintos , you can damn sure tell the diff, every one ask me what I do...lol that's my secret... Tery them MM, you might can get them at Wole foods, I get my from Moody's meats and he can't keep them in stock..,.
Anasazi beans--- I think that's their official name.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT