ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 expansion..Big 14??

Yay -- let's add a bunch of welfare-case mid-majors with small to tiny fan bases that do nothing to resolve the demographic problems that threaten the Big 12's long-term viability. Expansion for expansion's sake -- expansion that is ultimately dilutive, which is the only kind that the Big 12 can achieve -- is absolutely asinine, and this conference reliably makes the stupid decision.

I wish we could just blow this motherf**ker up already.

Yay -- let's add a bunch of welfare-case mid-majors with small to tiny fan bases that do nothing to resolve the demographic problems that threaten the Big 12's long-term viability. Expansion for expansion's sake -- expansion that is ultimately dilutive, which is the only kind that the Big 12 can achieve -- is absolutely asinine, and this conference reliably makes the stupid decision.

I wish we could just blow this motherf**ker up already.

Yeah, this is rather confusing. Just last month, Boren (or Bowlsby. I can't keep them straight) was saying the market wasn't right for a network, and expansion was doubtful. Now, all of a sudden, the data (on the same candidates) not only makes expansion viable, now a network is possibly back in play. I really don't understand how the data changed that much in one month, given it's the same group of candidates. I have to agree that it does sound like expansion for expansion's sake right now.

They've have an out.

I hope you're right, but I don't see it. If it relies on the argument that some contract attorney made in an article a couple of years back ("Myth of the Big 12's GOR," or something to that effect), others have already pointed out a fatal unfounded assumption that he made, unfortunately.

No team is stuck in a conference if they are willing to pay an excessive out clause.
This has been decided it court decades ago. A University cannot be forced to stay in a conference. But most of the time the out clause is so huge it keeps them in. But if Texas wanted to leave tomorrow they legally could.

I hope you're right, but I don't see it. If it relies on the argument that some contract attorney made in an article a couple of years back ("Myth of the Big 12's GOR," or something to that effect), others have already pointed out a fatal unfounded assumption that he made, unfortunately.
They have cards to play, It doesn't pertain to the Texas and WV clause folks refer to. The chips will fall or they'll help blow it all up.

No team is stuck in a conference if they are willing to pay an excessive out clause.
This has been decided it court decades ago. A University cannot be forced to stay in a conference. But most of the time the out clause is so huge it keeps them in. But if Texas wanted to leave tomorrow they legally could.

I have to disclose that I haven't researched this question in any great depth, but my understanding is that we can definitely leave the conference. The issue is that we -- along with all other Big 12 members -- no longer own our first- and second-tier TV rights. The Big 12 owns them until 2025. We can most certainly join another conference, but our TV revenue would stay with the Big 12 and be distributed among the conference's future membership.

I suppose in theory that another conference might be able to socialize the temporary monetary loss of adding a non-revenue-generating Texas program and still distribute money to Texas from their existing TV contract, but that would probably require unanimity on the part of the destination conference's members; it just strikes me as too unrealistic to seriously entertain.

They have cards to play, It doesn't pertain to the Texas and WV clause folks refer to. The chips will fall or they'll help blow it all up.

I don't mean this as a challenge, but do you have a link to anything describing what our possible out would be? I would love to have some small reason to hope.

This discussion is based in part on bad assumptions about how contracts work. Courts almost never force performance under a contract. Rather, they decide the penalty for breaching the contract. We don't need an "out" per se, but the admin would have to consider how big of a penalty we would be looking at and if we are willing to pay it. Also, there is always the option of trying to buy our way out.

This discussion is based in part on bad assumptions about how contracts work. Courts almost never force performance under a contract. Rather, they decide the penalty for breaching the contract. We don't need an "out" per se, but the admin would have to consider how big of a penalty we would be looking at and if we are willing to pay it. Also, there is always the option of trying to buy our way out.

It's been a while, but the argument that I've seen says that this misconceives the nature of the GOR (and is the same argument that the contract lawyer wrote in a column for some sports blog). Wish I could find those old discussions or remember where I've read them.

It's been a while, but the argument that I've seen says that this misconceives the nature of the GOR (and is the same argument that the contract lawyer wrote in a column for some sports blog). Wish I could find those old discussions or remember where I've read them.
From what I have seen people seem to think we are free to play in another conference but our TV rights would stay behind. Assuming that the contract in fact says this would be the remedy for breach (aka liquidated damages), know one knows whether a court would enforce it.

From what I have seen people seem to think we are free to play in another conference but our TV rights would stay behind. Assuming that the contract in fact says this would be the remedy for breach (aka liquidated damages), know one knows whether a court would enforce it.

But a breach doesn't exactly trigger this; we've already given our TV rights to the conference. I haven't seen the contract, nor do I deal with contract law, but I think the argument is that our present arrangement is incongruent with the liquidated damages paradigm. We turned over our TV rights to the Big 12 until 2025, and the matter of where our TV rights reside is entirely independent of any decisions we make about conference membership (so goes the argument).

Maybe Boren is playing the long con. Maybe this is all a ruse to blow the thing up and he's super intelligent. I doubt it though. The most likely scenario is that he and Bowlsby are complete buffoons.

Maybe Boren is playing the long con. Maybe this is all a ruse to blow the thing up and he's super intelligent. I doubt it though. The most likely scenario is that he and Bowlsby are complete buffoons.
It's been HOW many years now and you're just coming up with "Bowlsby is a buffoon".....?

Do I need to tell you about indoor plumbing as well bro?

Oh no, I've been on that train for a while.

First it was the complete misnomer "one true champion" with a round robin where everyone actually played each other and made tiebreakers amazingly easy. He still presided over 2 ridiculous "co-championships".

Next it was adding a conference title game to said round robin play where it will always be a rematch.

Finally it will be adding welfare cases who will add nothing but warm bodies to our conference and chop up the same size pie into smaller pieces.

Reactions: westx and diadevic
When this is all over, UT will be in the Big 10, OU in the SEC. The big unknown to me is Tx Tech and OU State with their state reps getting involved.

We must raid the ACC (not likely now with TV deal looming) or---- go west young man.

Reactions: diadevic
my guess was that the big 12 had plans to go after ACC members but that now is a no go so if you want to expand you have 2 options. UCF and Cincinnati or go west and dump WVU and pick up Colorado, BYU and either Boise State or Colorado State.

Maybe the BIGXII can raid the PAC12 and get the Arizona schools, Colorado, then add BYU.
You think this is possible? If you are going west BYU, Colorado State, SDSU, and Boise might work. Stealing PAC12 teams seems like a huge stretch to me.

But a breach doesn't exactly trigger this; we've already given our TV rights to the conference. I haven't seen the contract, nor do I deal with contract law, but I think the argument is that our present arrangement is incongruent with the liquidated damages paradigm. We turned over our TV rights to the Big 12 until 2025, and the matter of where our TV rights reside is entirely independent of any decisions we make about conference membership (so goes the argument).

Sure but that happens with any type of performance contract. When one party breaches, the other rarely gets to keep everything they were promised, even if its already been given to them. If you pay a guy in full to build you a house, then you have to move for a job promotion, the builder doesn't just get to keep all the money you gave him. (this is oversimplified, but you get the drift)

The Big 12 isn't robbing any existing Power 5 conferences... They'll either decide to band-aid the dumpster fire or it will slowly die with the ridiculously non proactive leadership sinking the ship. They had Louisville and didn't pull the trigger, it was a prime market. Let it blow up!

Stealing PAC12 teams seems like a huge stretch to me.

There are a lot of PAC teams that are very unhappy with Larry Scott's leadership. The PAC is dead last of the P5 in media revenue at $25.1 mil. B12 paid out $30.4 this year which will go up to $33.2 with the addition of a CCG in 2017. The PAC money includes third tier and the B12 does not.

Big 12 has higher payouts than the PAC 12 and they have a conference championship game and a conference network. The only ones who may consider are Colorado and to a lesser extent Utah

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT