ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Stoops demise

AnimalMother

Jan 30, 2015
will be nepotism. He never should have let Venables (who is kicking ass at Clemson) go and he never should have brought Mike Stoops back. He's way too stubborn to bow to pressure to let him go.

The OU defense was baffled today by an offense that barely put the ball in the air.

Mike Stoops was once a very capable defensive coach but that ship has sailed. My guess is that both of the stoops are coaching elsewhere in the near future.

I don't think that will happen. The dude has a great win-loss record

I think it would take several years of few wins for OU to treat him as anything other than a God.

will be nepotism. He never should have let Venables (who is kicking ass at Clemson) go and he never should have brought Mike Stoops back. He's way too stubborn to bow to pressure to let him go.

The OU defense was baffled today by an offense that barely put the ball in the air.

Mike Stoops was once a very capable defensive coach but that ship has sailed. My guess is that both of the stoops are coaching elsewhere in the near future.
Thanks for your insight Amazing Kreskin. OU fans will either have to enjoy or endure Stoops and the 1-4 loses a year for as long as Stoops desires to coach.

Thanks for your insight Amazing Kreskin. OU fans will either have to enjoy or endure Stoops and the 1-4 loses a year for as long as Stoops desires to coach.
So you don't think that OU would handle this situation in a similar way that Texas handled Mack Brown's exit?
It's definitely a different type of deal. Stoops is way more hardnosed than Brown. If things get bad in Norman, I would think it will be more like a Bo Pelini style exit.
I guess my question is if OU consistently becomes an 8-5 program without winning conf titles, can he still stay as long as he likes?

I would like to think under your 8-5 scenario he would remove himself or be removed. At least Stoops has shown the willingness to act on assistants so we'll see.

Stoops doesn't have the talent he had through the 2000's, his teams aren't physical and his coaching staff doesn't have the talent it used to. That shouldn't diminish the Texas win at all but its the truth of Oklahoma football right now.

Is that why Mike Stoops is still there? Stoops is no more willing than any other coach, to get rid of assistants.
Not entirely accurate. He jettisoned most of the offensive staff after last season's disappointing finish. He did decide to keep his brother which is what my post was about. Will this be something akin to Bobby Bowden's handling of his son when he wasn't getting it done as OC. Ultimately, his son elected to step down. It did not appear that Bowden was going to bow to the pressure to fire him. Regardless, Bowden was out quickly thereafter.

Reactions: Dogged Horn
Not entirely accurate. He jettisoned most of the offensive staff after last season's disappointing finish. He did decide to keep his brother which is what my post was about. Will this be something akin to Bobby Bowden's handling of his son when he wasn't getting it done as OC. Ultimately, his son elected to step down. It did not appear that Bowden was going to bow to the pressure to fire him. Regardless, Bowden was out quickly thereafter.

Nothing I said was inaccurate. Stoops is no different from any other coach, when it's comes to his willingness to get rid of assistants, or his brother would be gone.

Nothing I said was inaccurate. Stoops is no different from any other coach, when it's comes to his willingness to get rid of assistants, or his brother would be gone.
How can you say he is no more willing to get rid of assistants than any other coach when he basically fired his entire offensive staff after last season. Clearly, he is willing to fire assistant coaches. Does it mean he will fire every coach? No, as most coaches wont. I have stated I think he is showing poor judgement in retaining Mike Stoops.

As I stated in an earlier post, OU will continue to wilt because they do not have quality depth anymore.

Oklahoma doesn’t have a (fake) Roy Williams, or Tommie Harris, or a linebacker that can run the 40 in 2.2 like they did in the past. I don’t see a single guy on their defense that had me worried. That is the biggest issue with Oklahoma, they don’t have that great player or players like they did in the past.

Now I will agree with others that Mike Stoops is not very good, I would say he wasn’t ever that good, he has lived off the reputation of his last name for his whole career. Venerables was always the real talent on that defensive staff.

Eventually Bob is going to have to cut his brother lose or let him drag him down.

Either way, it doesn’t matter, Texas is going to own Oklahoma for a long long time. Bob Stoops will never catch DKR for number of wins in this series.

Reactions: Dogged Horn
Oklahoma doesn’t have a (fake) Roy Williams, or Tommie Harris, or a linebacker that can run the 40 in 2.2 like they did in the past. I don’t see a single guy on their defense that had me worried. That is the biggest issue with Oklahoma, they don’t have that great player or players like they did in the past.

Now I will agree with others that Mike Stoops is not very good, I would say he wasn’t ever that good, he has lived off the reputation of his last name for his whole career. Venerables was always the real talent on that defensive staff.

Eventually Bob is going to have to cut his brother lose or let him drag him down.

Either way, it doesn’t matter, Texas is going to own Oklahoma for a long long time. Bob Stoops will never catch DKR for number of wins in this series.

Stryker was supposed to fill that role in this game. With Heard not throwing the ball (unsure if shoulder injury?), they should have been able to put a spy on him and limit his ability to hurt them. Just seemed like coaching on both sides of the ball for OU was terrible.

For every big play I've seen Striker make, I've seen about 5 where he was totally out of position. Striker isnt that great.

I'm enjoying beating the man the man whose teams have dominated us since he's been at Oklahoma. But talking about his demise is premature. They went 8-5 last year but I want to wait and see how they will do this year were just now at the halfway point. Here's what you need to watch from the sooners the rest of the way. Their last three games in order are

@ Baylor
TCU
@ OSU

The end of the season always shows how good you are or aren't.

Reactions: TexomaSooner49
LOL ...radio show here said 20 minutes into stops presser today he brought up the sugar bowl/bama....

Stryker was supposed to fill that role in this game. With Heard not throwing the ball (unsure if shoulder injury?), they should have been able to put a spy on him and limit his ability to hurt them. Just seemed like coaching on both sides of the ball for OU was terrible.
If you go back and watch on the zone read that Texas ran. From what I saw, Mike Stoops had a good scheme but our idiot safety Byrd No. 4 wasn't executing correctly. I would be willing to bet that the DE was crashing inside as instructed on the zone read plays with Byrd coming up and playing contain on the outside and meeting Heard laterally at the line of scrimmage. Go back and watch Byrd like an idiot crashing to the inside and having to play catch up on Heard every time. That is just bad execution on Byrd. You could see Stoops getting on his butt during the game, not sure if it was just that but it was evident to me. Not saying Mike Stoops is perfect but at least I believe he had a good scheme that should have been more successful.

How can you say he is no more willing to get rid of assistants than any other coach when he basically fired his entire offensive staff after last season. Clearly, he is willing to fire assistant coaches. Does it mean he will fire every coach? No, as most coaches wont. I have stated I think he is showing poor judgement in retaining Mike Stoops.

Who doesn't fire the offensive staff when they are trash...it was time to get rid of them, that wasn't something that sets him apart. Several coaches fire the entire offensive staff, after the pressure has been applied. Stop acting like that is a new concept, stop acting like he pulls the trigger quicker than anyone else. I'll say it again...Stoops is no more willing than any other coach, to get rid of assistants. Why does that offend you, how is that not the truth? Strong demoted his OC after a year and one game, and several thought he allowed him to stick around too long. Strong also get rid of his WR and TE coach after one year...but that doesn't set him apart either. Are you missing the point here? Stoops willingness to fire coaches, is no different than anyone else...especially when he is allowing that trash at DC, to stick around.

Last edited:
Who doesn't fire the offensive staff when they are trash...it was time to get rid of them, that wasn't something that sets him apart. Several coaches fire the entire offensive staff, after the pressure has been applied. Stop acting like that is a new concept, stop acting like he pulls the trigger quicker than anyone else. I'll say it again...Stoops is no more willing than any other coach, to get rid of assistants. Why does that offend you, how is that not the truth? Strong demoted his OC after a year and one game, and several thought he allowed him to stick around too long. Strong also get rid of his WR and TE coach after one year...but that doesn't set him apart either. Are you missing the point here? Stoops willingness to fire coaches, is no different than anyone else...especially when he is allowing that trash at DC, to stick around.

For f&*$ sake go back and read my original post on this issue. The main point was that Bob Stoops will eventually be run out of Norman due to his loyalty to Mike Stoops. So in that regard I am agreeing with you. What I am saying is that its not like he got beat 40-6 by Clemson in the bowl, had a very disappointing season and just went with status quo going into this year without making changes. However, it is almost unheard of for the coach to dismiss the entire staff at one time, just too much instability and bad effect on continuity of recruiting.

Are you suggesting he should have fired everyone? Or should he have started with the defense? There were much more grumblings from the fanbase about Heupel and Norvell last season. My main point is also that he should have done everything he could to retain Venables.

Stoops is going down and it couldn't happen to a nicer enabling prick.
Highly likely you've had that same prediction for more than 10 years now, so how's it working out for you? Every year, people like you comment that Stoops is either going to be run out, or bolt for another college or NFL job, and every year you're wrong. I guess eventually you'll become a broken watch.

For f&*$ sake go back and read my original post on this issue. The main point was that Bob Stoops will eventually be run out of Norman due to his loyalty to Mike Stoops. So in that regard I am agreeing with you. What I am saying is that its not like he got beat 40-6 by Clemson in the bowl, had a very disappointing season and just went with status quo going into this year without making changes. However, it is almost unheard of for the coach to dismiss the entire staff at one time, just too much instability and bad effect on continuity of recruiting.

Are you suggesting he should have fired everyone? Or should he have started with the defense? There were much more grumblings from the fanbase about Heupel and Norvell last season. My main point is also that he should have done everything he could to retain Venables.

Dumbass, my first reply was to bulldozer, it had nothing to do with anything you posted, so for "****s sake," you go back and read. If you agreed with me off top, then get out your feelings. If you agreed with me about Mike Stoops, then that means Bob Stoops is no more willing to get rid of people, than other coaches are. Stoops did not do anything special by firing his OC. It's you that just couldn't take that, and let it go. So get mad all you want chump. You throwing a tantrum, won't change how I feel. I'm suggesting that Stoops should have already fired Mike Stoops, so he isn't any different, than any other head coach. You can say you disagree and keep it pushing, or we can keep going back and forth. You choose...you are the one that is offended. F!@# you and OU! 24-17

"The main point was that Bob Stoops will eventually be run out of Norman due to his loyalty to Mike Stoops."

So he isn't any different than any other coach, when it comes to firing people. He also has loyalty issues. There you have it.

Last edited:
this was my first response. Hardly offensive or attempting to incite a riot. I'm done with the conversation, hopefully you can get your meds straightened out.

this was my first response. Hardly offensive or attempting to incite a riot. I'm done with the conversation, hopefully you can get your meds straightened out.

And this was my first response to bulldozer.

"Is that why Mike Stoops is still there? Stoops is no more willing than any other coach, to get rid of assistants."

I'm glad you're done, as you made up something to argue about...but I need the meds. You're a simpleton.

Dumbass, my first reply was to bulldozer, it had nothing to do with anything you posted, so for "****s sake," you go back and read. If you agreed with me off top, then get out your feelings. If you agreed with me about Mike Stoops, then that means Bob Stoops is no more willing to get rid of people, than other coaches are. Stoops did not do anything special by firing his OC. It's you that just couldn't take that, and let it go. So get mad all you want chump. You throwing a tantrum, won't change how I feel. I'm suggesting that Stoops should have already fired Mike Stoops, so he isn't any different, than any other head coach. You can say you disagree and keep it pushing, or we can keep going back and forth. You choose...you are the one that is offended. F!@# you and OU! 24-17

"The main point was that Bob Stoops will eventually be run out of Norman due to his loyalty to Mike Stoops."

So he isn't any different than any other coach, when it comes to firing people. He also has loyalty issues. There you have it.
careful or blh will threaten to beat you up.

ya know.....there are several guys on here you wouldnt want to meet in a dark alley, and I think BLH is one of em.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT