ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Stoops demise

Now boys, I understand a little good natured trash talking n all but it aint worth getting all ruffled up over. I'll never understand you guys that want to argue all day and hurl insults . . . but hey, to each his own. For me, I can't stand to argue with anybody, even with a land thief or an aggie . . . it's a waste of my breath, typing skills and uses up what little mental elasticity I have left! ;)

As for this notion about Bob Stoops demise . . . I don't buy that for a NY minute! Blow U wins 9 or 10 this year IMO. Now Mike Stoops, not real sure about him. But I bet OU shows up big this weekend against K-State.

Reactions: Dogged Horn
Now boys, I understand a little good natured trash talking n all but it aint worth getting all ruffled up over. I'll never understand you guys that want to argue all day and hurl insults . . . but hey, to each his own. For me, I can't stand to argue with anybody, even with a land thief or an aggie . . . it's a waste of my breath, typing skills and uses up what little mental elasticity I have left! ;)

As for this notion about Bob Stoops demise . . . I don't buy that for a NY minute! Blow U wins 9 or 10 this year IMO. Now Mike Stoops, not real sure about him. But I bet OU shows up big this weekend against K-State.
We probably also lose to Baylor, TCU, and Okie State. Two bad seasons in a row now

Oklahoma doesn’t have a (fake) Roy Williams, or Tommie Harris, or a linebacker that can run the 40 in 2.2 like they did in the past. I don’t see a single guy on their defense that had me worried. That is the biggest issue with Oklahoma, they don’t have that great player or players like they did in the past.

Now I will agree with others that Mike Stoops is not very good, I would say he wasn’t ever that good, he has lived off the reputation of his last name for his whole career. Venerables was always the real talent on that defensive staff.

Eventually Bob is going to have to cut his brother lose or let him drag him down.

Either way, it doesn’t matter, Texas is going to own Oklahoma for a long long time. Bob Stoops will never catch DKR for number of wins in this series.
I would not comment on Texas owning any team and certainly not after the past two years,depth is weak and this Texas team will sink with key injuries,

Natives in Norman are restless.

We are all restless. It's early in the season but it sucks knowing that your team, barring some miracle that we are gifted with a good team, won't be making a playoff appearance for starters and possibly have 3 to 4 losses and go to a crappy bowl and start all over again next year. In all reality it's not right to expect to undefeated and in the NC game every year, it's just not going to happen but you rarely see a Saban coached Alabama team look so clueless and foolish in their losses, which by the way are few and far between. OU out schemed them we sure didn't out athlete them. It happens, just seems to happen 3 or 4 times a year with Stoops now.

Maybe the shine really has worn off. Stoops (17 years) has already been around at OU as long as Switzer (16 years) or Wilkinson (17 years) lasted. But he's only got 1 ring.

Maybe the shine really has worn off. Stoops (17 years) has already been around at OU as long as Switzer (16 years) or Wilkinson (17 years) lasted. But he's only got 1 ring.
No doubt. He clearly doesn't have the fire it takes anymore. Not saying it's necessarily his fault, it's a fact of life.

Saban is one of the few guys that are getting up there in age that absolutely hates to lose and does something about it. Say what you want about him but the guy hates losing.

Not entirely accurate. He jettisoned most of the offensive staff after last season's disappointing finish. He did decide to keep his brother which is what my post was about. Will this be something akin to Bobby Bowden's handling of his son when he wasn't getting it done as OC. Ultimately, his son elected to step down. It did not appear that Bowden was going to bow to the pressure to fire him. Regardless, Bowden was out quickly thereafter.

A Family friend is a very successful High School Football AD and Football Coach. He says he has a policy that he never hires a Friend as an Assistant Coach to avoid having to FIRE a low performing friend. I'd imagine it is an even worse situation if your Assistant Coach is your Brother.

Agreed. Stoopes needs a re-boot. I hear USC needs a new coach. I know he's a midwestern guy, but maybe LA is his kind of town.

I don't know I think at Stoops age that he just does not have the burning desire to be better than the also rans. I don't think I would bring him in if I was USC at this point. You have to be hungry and I don't see it with him.

He seems to have lost his fire. When you're paid $5.5 mil per year and basically run the university it's hard to stay motivated.

With that said, I doubt he moves on himself (too comfortable) and Boren doesn't have the guts to get rid of him.

I could see Stoops making a move to South Carolina. He seems to get really motivated to play SEC teams, maybe playing 8-9 of those per year is what he needs. I just don't see him staying around coaching a perennial 8-4 team.

TCU's success and A&M's move to the SEC has killed his recruiting (currently #49 for the 2016 class).

Shocking that Mike Stoops D couldn't stop the run when that was all UT was doing.

Also shocking that the OU O refused to get the ball to its best players (Perine and Shepard). And instead kept dropping Mayfield in zone reads and also back to pass when he was getting harassed in the backfield constantly.

And the RT was tipping whether it was a pass or run by his drop foot placement.

He seems to have lost his fire. When you're paid $5.5 mil per year and basically run the university it's hard to stay motivated.

With that said, I doubt he moves on himself (too comfortable) and Boren doesn't have the guts to get rid of him.
Probably correct. I made the statement above that OU fans can enjoy or endure the 1 to 4 losses that he brings, or something like that. Stoops understands that if he has probably no more than 3 losses most years and the seats are full, then it's not very likely he's run off. And from a business standpoint I can see Boren's point. I was personally hoping like hell he was pissed off and retired after last year and OU somehow roped in Harbaugh. Pipe dream I know.

Last edited:
Shocking that Mike Stoops D couldn't stop the run when that was all UT was doing.

Also shocking that the OU O refused to get the ball to its best players (Perine and Shepard). And instead kept dropping Mayfield in zone reads and also back to pass when he was getting harassed in the backfield constantly.

And the RT was tipping whether it was a pass or run by his drop foot placement.
Yeah pretty much how most of us feel. Some real head scratchers. I still can't believe that OU never hit the rb on the dumpoff pass to negate the blitz. The rb literally passed the blitzer on a couple of them? Heard is going to make some plays he's a great athlete but like others have pointed out, why not sell out to stop the run? Why didn't Bob Stoops override any decisions with in-game adjustments. That's the deal with Stoops, he's hardheaded but I also wonder if some of this is an IQ issue? Seriously. Why did they handle Leach back in the day when others couldn't? Not sure

Saban is one of the few guys that are getting up there in age that absolutely hates to lose and does something about it. Say what you want about him but the guy hates losing.

All respect to St. Saban, but he stays fresh by never staying any place too long

I can't imagine a slow decline in OK fb under Stoops like there was under MB. But even if it does happen Bob Stoops should be allowed to retire on his own terms. He's done to much for OK fb to be treated any other way.

Reactions: TexomaSooner49
I can't imagine a slow decline in OK fb under Stoops like there was under MB. But even if it does happen Bob Stoops should be allowed to retire on his own terms. He's done to much for OK fb to be treated any other way.

Its already happening. When is the last time OU has won a conf title or even competed for it. Much less an NC. And those are the standards at big time programs like OU or UT.

OU isn't even consistently beating UT while they are almost historically down for UT program standards. Hell Mack beat OU on his way out the door. Charlie almost did it once and now has done it once. All in games where no one thought UT had chances for these 3 yrs.

The wheels will never fall completely off at OU like they did here, at least not for awhile, but gone are the days of being perennial favorites.

If I'm Oklahoma I'm keeping an eye out for the next head coach. Now I don't (at this point) even talk to Bob about leaving but a plan should be in place for his replacement.

I think Bob will leave when he feels like leaving, that is of course barring any crazy stuff like what happened to Switzer.

I will also say that Bob is really one guy a way from really catching fire again. What I mean by that is if he gets a player like Vince Young that just lifts his team, he could be back in play for both playoffs and championships. Jamal Holloway did that for Switzer.

Even though I do think that Bob Stoops is wrong about having his brother as one of his most important assistants, and I also believe Stoops no longer has the 'eye of the tiger' desire to win, I fully agree with these comments stating his past accomplishments at Oklahoma have earned him the privilege of staying a few years longer, if he choose, and retiring 'on his own terms'.

Also, I don't believe a lot of Sooner fans who are calling for his removal have thoroughly considered the un-desirable consequences that are almost in-evitable when any program has a head-coaching change. I'm aware there have been a few instances where a new HC brings immediate, or fairly rapid, improvement and success to a team, but it is far more probable that it will go through a down-period of several years, involving multiple hirings and firings in the coaching staff, before the program can regain the stability and consistency needed for sustained success.

I think once a man has millions in the bank and never has to really look for another job becomes immune to everything around him,How much over the years have you sooners paid him??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT