ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie strong not fired yet per Mike Perrin

madcow12

Jan 13, 2010
BREAKING: Texas officials have decided to fire Charlie Strong, according to source

*bohls

Posted November 20th, 2016

University of Texas officials have decided to fire football coach Charlie Strong, however the official announcement may not come until Monday, a high-ranking university source told the American-Statesman.

The decision comes after Saturday’s shocking 24-21 overtime loss to Kansas, a team that had lost 19 straight Big 12 games.

“It will happen for sure. The question is when,” the source said.

Strong is 16-20 in three seasons with the Longhorns and may become the first coach to oversee three consecutive losing seasons since 1936-38. He currently has the lowest winning percentage of any coach in UT football history and is 5-10 against ranked opponents in three years.

Strong is scheduled to meet reporters at his weekly press conference at 11 a.m. Monday as Texas (5-6, 3-5 Big 12) prepares for the regular season finale against TCU.

Texas President Gregory L. Fenves could not be reached on Sunday and did not respond to text messages from the Statesman.

Asked when an official announcement could come, “Perhaps in the morning.” the source said. Strong has two years remaining on a guaranteed contract worth $10.7 million.

Two athletic department sources said the coaching staff was busy Sunday preparing for Friday’s game. “We are getting ready for TCU,” one source said.

Asked if Strong has been told, the high-ranking university source said, “He knows what it coming.”

Strong appeared to know the end was near after Saturday’s loss to Kansas. In a somber four-minute press conference, Strong’s voice almost cracked when he was asked what the loss means for his status. “No idea,” he said.

Strong’s wife, Vicki, was holding back tears in the cramped media room inside Memorial Stadium. Men’s athletic director Mike Perrin declined to speak to reporters afterward.

Several players, including defensive lineman Poona Ford and Charles Omenihu, were seen collapsing on the field. Some players were crying in the locker room afterward.

“What you do is go hug ’em and look ’em in the eye, tell ’em to keep battling,” offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert said during the post-game press conference.

UT officials are expected to target Houston coach Tom Herman as a possible replacement. According to Houston sources and those familiar with the coach’s thinking, Herman would have “strong interest” in the position.

*If you believe chip - and he has not been fired per the rumor going around on twitter

Texas' loss to Kansas likely sealed Charlie Strong's fate, but he is expected to coach season finale Friday against TCU, per @McMurphyESPN.

9:07 PM - 19 Nov 2016

Last edited:
thank god we are not playing on thanksgiving. At least we get that day to enjoy before the beating on friday.

thank god we are not playing on thanksgiving. At least we get that day to enjoy before the beating on friday.
TCU just took a drubbing from Ok state(why aren't we trying to get Gundy?). Not sure either Texas nor TCU is in position to beat down the other.

TCU just took a drubbing from Ok state(why aren't we trying to get Gundy?). Not sure either Texas nor TCU is in position to beat down the other.
LSU would be smart to grab gunny. He won't come here because of Texas and the Big 12. I think this team will quit the next game because charlie will be getting fired the next day.

SOURCES: STRONG EXPECTED TO BE FIRED
ChipBrown.jpg

CHIP BROWN
7:25 PM

Two high-ranking Texas sources told HornsDigest.com they expect Charlie Strong to be fired at season's end - following a shocking, six-turnover, overtime loss at previously 1-9 Kansas. Another source close to the situation said UT president Greg Fenves wouldn't make a final decision until after next week's TCU game.

One high-ranking Texas source told HornsDigest.com Saturday night, "I do not see how he (Strong) can survive. But who knows?" Another high-ranking UT source said, "It's over."

The decision and any announcement will ultimately be made by Texas president Greg Fenves and athletic director Mike Perrin. Fenves couldn't immediately be reached for comment, and Perrin wouldn't comment outside the locker room after the game.

One source close to the situation said he didn't expect Fenves to announce the decision on Strong until after Texas' regular-season finale against TCU next Friday.

"We owe that respect to the student-athletes," the source said.

Strong has two years and $10.9 million remaining on a five-year guaranteed contract. Overall, it would cost Texas roughly $18.6 million to buy out the contracts of Strong and his assistant coaches.

Speculation will now start focus on Strong's possible replacement. A group of big-money Texas donors has been focused on Houston's Tom Herman for almost a year, sources told HD. Late last week questions arose about if Fenves would consider Herman as a candidate at UT, sources said. Some sources wondered if that was a pre-emptive strike by Fenves to try to maintain control of the circumstances surrounding Strong's fate - which now seem obvious.

Strong went 6-7 in 2014 and 5-7 in 2015. The stunning loss in Lawrence Saturday dropped Texas to 5-6 and came against what had been the laughing stock of the conference. Kansas had lost 19 straight Big 12 games and had lost 13 straight to Texas. The last time KU beat the Longhorns was 1938.

Asked if he knew what his team loss at Kansas, fueled by six UT turnovers, means for his future, Strong said, "No I don't."

Strong's three-year tenure at Texas has 10 losses of 18 points or more, including this season's 49-31 loss at Oklahoma State in which UT gave up 17 plays of 10 yards or more as well as three blocked extra points (one returned by OSU for two points).

There have been questions about his ability to manage his staff after demoting a play-caller mid-season for the second straight year. Last year, it was offensive play-caller Shawn Watson one game into the 2015 season. This year, it was defensive play-caller Vance Bedford four games into the season.

But off the field, Strong's ability to build his program during his first 20 months at Texas was definitely affected by a lack of support from the athletic director who hired him - Steve Patterson, who regularly told Strong no when requests were made for everything from more money for quality control staff to ping-pong tables for the players' lounge.

Thanks to two, Top 10 recruiting classes landed by Strong, Texas had 120 starts this season by freshmen and sophomores before Saturday's game - most in FBS - and will return 37 of its 44 in the two-deep next year.

But Strong said before the season, "No more excuses. We've got the talent. We just need to coach it up."

A reporter asked Strong if he thought a win over TCU next Friday and berth in a bowl game would be enough to save his job, and Strong, who seemed in a state of disbelief during his post-game press conference, said: "I just see progress, and we just need to get ready for that (TCU) game and get our seniors to a bowl game."

Strong just seemed in a state of disbelief after the game.

"You're up 21-10 and driving to put it away and you turn it over (on a D'Onta Foreman fumble at the KU 13 with 3:53 left)," Strong said. "The game was over. It was there for us. There was no reason for us to not just go finish the game."

Players said they were aware of Strong's tenuous situation coming into the Kansas game but can't focus on the likely termination of their coach at season's end.

"As much as it gets brought up, you try not to focus on it, because Coach Strong doesn't want us to focus on it," said senior WR Jacorey Warrick.

Sophomore safety John Bonney said, "That decision isn't up to us. We just gotta keep fighting. I know everyone in that locker room loves Coach Strong and would do anything for Coach Strong. This game was going to test our will for him and going into our last game against TCU."

Sophomore safety DeShon Elliott said, "I love Coach Strong. That's my dog. But that's not our decision. That's for the AD and the men up there."

But we'll fight for Coach Strong next week (against TCU)."

Warrick said Kansas "may have wanted it a little bit more than we did with the way they kept fighting even after falling behind 21-10."

Bonney said, "This one is going to sting for a long time. We at the University of Texas, we don't lose to Kansas. For it to happen today, it's really going to hurt. Coach Strong told us, 'If you're really up to the challenge, it's now or never next week.'"

Sophomore LT Connor Williams said, "It's sad. It's saddening to be where we are right now."

LSU would be smart to grab gunny. He won't come here because of Texas and the Big 12. I think this team will quit the next game because charlie will be getting fired the next day.
Yeah reports are Gundy is On LSU radar. I get that it's unusual maybe unheard of for a team to poach a conference coach. Wouldn't stop me from asking though

Yeah reports are Gundy is On LSU radar. I get that it's unusual maybe unheard of for a team to poach a conference coach. Wouldn't stop me from asking though
yea, it is not protocol to hire within the conference. I wish we could just forfeit the next game and get this firing over with. It will be interesting to see attendance for that game. You can't say it was the crowd that cause UT any problems, there were more people at high school stadiums last night than in KU's stadium. Pathetic

A lot of love and sadness in that football article among players and coach. They all sound defeated.
the players share a equal part in the firing. Its all good and well to be sad when you lose your coaches job but fumbling, missing tackles, not being in the right spot all falls on the kids. Charlie might be a great guy but he installs zero discipline in his kids. Completely opposite of what you would think when you look at him. We have wasted 3 years and now go into another coach and rebuilding year.

Reactions: James Knox Polk
A lot of love and sadness in that football article among players and coach. They all sound defeated.
They've basically been playing for their coaches job for the better part of two years. As much as they want to say they tune it out we all know thats BS. It was bound to crack eventually. I think we seen that today with the reaction after the game.

the players share a equal part in the firing. Its all good and well to be sad when you lose your coaches job but fumbling, missing tackles, not being in the right spot all falls on the kids. Charlie might be a great guy but he installs zero discipline in his kids. Completely opposite of what you would think when you look at him. We have wasted 3 years and now go into another coach and rebuilding year.

But the players love him!

Need to take a few of them 5 Start and 4 Star players with him that can't play FB, had all season to learn defense and failed

Hook'em

Need to take a few of them 5 Start and 4 Star players with him that can't play FB, had all season to learn defense and failed

Hook'em

Carefull, you may get your wish. How does a 0-1-2 win season sound. A lot of theses guys are young enough to transfer. I would.

Haven't heard Gundys name mentioned around LSU at all.

Fisher, Herman are the main 2 names being mentioned.

Pretty sure Herman will be off the board today or tomorrow. if LSU beats aTm Thursday reports are that Sumlin will be out and aTm will go all in on Herman.

Haven't heard Gundys name mentioned around LSU at all.

Fisher, Herman are the main 2 names being mentioned.

Pretty sure Herman will be off the board today or tomorrow. if LSU beats aTm Thursday reports are that Sumlin will be out and aTm will go all in on Herman.
Wut?

I'm pretty sure that if aggsy fire Rumlin, they will go all in on Chad Morris. He is aggsy alum and every bit the coach that Herman is.

Besides, aggsy can't outbid Texas nor can they offer what Texas can offer. Well they can offer the opportunity to get gang raped by the rest of the SEC West.

Reactions: freeper
Madcow, as an outsider, I do not envision another long drawn out rebuilding process like you have seen under Strong. I honestly look at where your program is and am amazed he lasted 3 years, I'm not kidding. I'm not sure I've seen the amount of what appears to be incompetence on the part of a coach paid 5 Mil. Per year, to be basically in the same spot he was 3 years ago. There have been improvements in certain areas of the team but just thinking back to Mack's last year being 8-5 to seeing where your team is now is crazy. Just my humble opinion on the whole deal.

Last edited:
Madcow, as an outsider, I do not envision another long drawn out rebuilding process like you have seen under Strong. I honestly look at where your program is and am amazed he lasted 3 years, I'm not kidding. I'm not sure I've seen the amount of what appears to be incompetence on the part of a coach paid 5 Mil. Per year, to be basically in the same spot he was 3 years ago. There have been improvements in certain areas of the team but just thinking back to Mack's last year being 8-5 to seeing where your team is now is crazy. Just my humble opinion on the whole deal.
I 100% agree.

This may go down today.

Charlie Strong has not been informed of his future yet, sources say. But Greg Fenves wants to treat this with dignity, won't wait till TCU.

10:05 AM - 20 Nov 2016

@AnwarRichardson : amateur leadership at university of Texas. Why make him have a press conference tomorrow after this and knowing he is gone

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Amateur leadership? Hasn't been any leadership for a few years now. That's why we're about to band the job to Herrman without a real search.

Amateur leadership? Hasn't been any leadership for a few years now. That's why we're about to band the job to Herrman without a real search.
If you believe that jobs are given out that make 5 mil plus a year without some thought I don't know what to tell you. Whoever it is I hope they are the right person. I do think Herman will be a good to great coach but no one knows for sure.

If you believe that jobs are given out that make 5 mil plus a year without some thought I don't know what to tell you. Whoever it is I hope they are the right person. I do think Herman will be a good to great coach but no one knows for sure.
Don't get me wrong. I am sure a lot of background has been done on Herrman. Just feel like he's been hand picked basically since August. Not sure that's the way this should be done.

Don't get me wrong. I am sure a lot of background has been done on Herrman. Just feel like he's been hand picked basically since August. Not sure that's the way this should be done.

It kinda feels like the DNC picking Hillary. Can we put some names to these "boosters?"

Per Chip Brown

Sources told HD Texas president Greg Fenves initially wanted to wait to do anything until after Friday's regular-season finale against TCU.
But after discussions among UT officials on Sunday, it sounds like athletic director Mike Perrin could meet with Strong either Sunday night or Monday morning - before Strong's weekly press conference at 11 am CT on Monday, sources said.
The meeting would outline Strong's departure with the hope of Strong coaching in Friday's TCU game, sources told HD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT