ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie strong not fired yet per Mike Perrin

Team meeting :

Hornsports

Being told a team meeting is about to take place. Players who travel typically meet in the morning, but they opted to move it back today so others could attend.

Not sure if something is going to be relayed in this meeting, but it was something relayed to me. We will keep our ears open.

It kinda feels like the DNC picking Hillary. Can we put some names to these "boosters?"
Lol yeah it's a little like that. I'm in the minority though I think I don't have any problem with political parties picking their nominee. The state parties do it a lot. My feeling on this Iscwe hire an athletic depsrtment for a reason. Let them conduct a nationwide search, make some calls and get the best guy. Alabama wouldn't have Saban if someone hadn't called.

I may be in the minority here, but I firmly believe you fire CS today/tomorrow. If not, you send a message that it's OK to "stroll" along doing the same old ... same old

that message becomes the official message to players, coaches, staff, and those formulating their opinion of TEXAS football

Reactions: swVAHorn
#Longhorns will have full team dinner tonight. Asked my source if that was the norm ... "No." Could be interesting. #hookem
I take NO joy in Strong being fired.....but he needs to go quickly. Then get a coach in here to coach this talent up and get a half decent recruiting class this year. I am glad it is not a huge class....

Reactions: ekal48 and freeper
I take NO joy in Strong being fired.....but he needs to go quickly. Then get a coach in here to coach this talent up and get a half decent recruiting class this year. I am glad it is not a huge class....
No joke. It would be sooooo much easier if all of the players & their families didn't love the guy so much. Speaks volumes about his character for sure.

ugghh...

Brian Davis

@BDavisAAS

If tonight doesn't prove that Texas has an inexperienced AD at the controls, I don't know what will.

6:42 PM - 20 Nov 2016
CxvvaPYXAAAnMgK.jpg:large

As a fellow human I would have no problem if they waited until after the final game to announce
I think he will be given the option to coach against TCU.
How about the bowl game if Texas beats TCU? I do believe in trying to handle firings allowing folks to keep their dignity. I think the LSU deal could have been handled better, it's not like they became playoff eligible once they got rid of Miles or winning the conference so what did they really accomplish? No need to embarrass folks in my opinion.

Worst job of "reporting" that I've seen in years. Partially, because UT heads have not been quiet about the process.

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians!

Not sure what all the fuss is. It looks like they are allowing him to,step down and resign on his terms. That statement is technically correct.

Finebaum with ESPN stating him being fired, basically, as fact. I guess the timing of the official announcement is the only question remaining

Per reliable source, Strong has informed his assistant coaches that he's being fired.

This is why we need an experienced AD. Thank you for your service Mike it is time for us to fill the spot with someone else.

Reactions: swVAHorn
texas will not win the big 12 or be in playoff contention with any coach they hire for at least two years. Strong may not get us there either, no one else will. Not even Herman. If you are expecting a two year turn around, you are delusional and need to have your head checked, or stop drinking.

The focus should probably be on hiring an AD than hiring a football coach. Unless they are actually basing the decision on Friday's game which I can't imagine then you might as well announce.

I didn't mind firing Strong but right now I'd rather keep him, hire an AD and conduct a professional search next year.

Inside Texas reporting Strong did let the team know earlier tonight that he's being fired.

texas will not win the big 12 or be in playoff contention with any coach they hire for at least two years. Strong may not get us there either, no one else will. Not even Herman. If you are expecting a two year turn around, you are delusional and need to have your head checked, or stop drinking.
Man I may respectfully disagree with you here. To me, Texas has the talent to be competing for the conference right now, in my opinion. I personally think your OC has been an upgrade but has a little Greg Davis in him. Some of his play calling is baffling to say the least. The 18 wheeler package at inopportune times etc. Just my opinion.

Man I may respectfully disagree with you here. To me, Texas has the talent to be competing for the conference right now, in my opinion. I personally think your OC has been an upgrade but has a little Greg Davis in him. Some of his play calling is baffling to say the least. The 18 wheeler package at inopportune times etc. Just my opinion.

Dozer you may be a Dirt Burglar and all...but damn if sometimes you don't make it hard to dislike you....agreed on the above....

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Dozer you may be a Dirt Burglar and all...but damn if sometimes you don't make it hard to dislike you....agreed on the above....
Man I just try to call it like I see it, even for my team. Granted I like to throw a line out every now and then to get people on edge but for the most part I'm fairly easy going.

Look I supported Charlie from the beginning like I'll support any coach that get's hired on. I loved his discipline and all that but I'm going to say his firing is best for him and UT. Reading these comments tell me he was never ready for this type of job and he took it because it's Texas. He probably learned a lot about high profile jobs and hopefully we (UT) learned a lot.

From our August interview with him:

"I remember before I took this job, I had a guy tell me, ‘You may not want to take that job because of what all comes with it. But you can’t tell them no either,’" Texas head coach Charlie Strong says while seated at a table in his office.

"I wasn’t going to let anything scare me from taking this opportunity. There’s only what, five jobs that are maybe like this one?"

"So, this same guy said to me, ‘Look, you may not have followed everything about Texas that closely.’ And I said, ‘No, I haven’t followed the program the way you have, but I’ve seen them play.’ And so he says, ‘You’re gonna have a lot of work to do there. But you’re going to go in there and get the work done no matter what. Because you cannot tell them no.’"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT