ADVERTISEMENT

Ewers has been named starting QB

Ok people, now remember, he still could’ve been in high school a few months ago. Be patient, he’s going to have struggles.
But he wasn’t. He has the chance to learn under one of the best OC/QB coaches at OSU under Ryan Day, and now with Sark.

Either way, I think he has a lot more upside than Card. I’m excited to watch him play which is the opposite I would’ve felt if Card was the starter.

I'm already dreading the reactions to his first couple of mistakes.
I think people are willing to cut him some slack considering who the backup is lol. Also, it’s his first season playing. If Card was the starter, then fans would’ve been calling for his head after the first pick.

Reactions: hookem777
I think people are willing to cut him some slack considering who the backup is lol. Also, it’s his first season playing. If Card was the starter, then fans would’ve been calling for his head after the first pick.
I don't believe that for a second. A lot ofTexas fans gave up on Card after 2 bad quarters last year. It's not going to be any different with Quinn.

But he wasn’t. He has the chance to learn under one of the best OC/QB coaches at OSU under Ryan Day, and now with Sark.

Either way, I think he has a lot more upside than Card. I’m excited to watch him play which is the opposite I would’ve felt if Card was the starter.
Meaning he’s still very young, no matter where he’s been.

Don’t kid yourself, there will be people losing their shit and calling for Murphy after one bad game.

There will be huge ups and downs this year but it's going to be great experience for him. Huge upsides

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I don't believe that for a second. A lot ofTexas fans gave up on Card after 2 bad quarters last year. It's not going to be any different with Quinn.
That’s because most Texas fans thought Casey should have been the starter from day one, mainly based on his awesome performance in the bowl game. I was one of those fans.

Meaning he’s still very young, no matter where he’s been.

Don’t kid yourself, there will be people losing their shit and calling for Murphy after one bad game.
I disagree. I think most fans realize Maalik isn’t quite there yet. He also doesn’t have as much talent as Ewers. Time will tell.

That’s because most Texas fans thought Casey should have been the starter from day one, mainly based on his awesome performance in the bowl game. I was one of those fans.
I never thought we should have given Casey the job based off of 2 good quarters. That's just silly. I'm still not convinced that Sark shouldn't have just stuck with Card last year. I don't think it could have been any worse than it turned out to be.

I wonder if this was Sarks call. Bringing in Ewers after Bama made all the sense in the world to me, get a season reset and save your young stud.

Reactions: Belldozer1
I disagree. I think most fans realize Maalik isn’t quite there yet. He also doesn’t have as much talent as Ewers. Time will tell.
Oh kemosabe, you underestimate the level of freakthefvckoutedness that can be observed in this little corner of the interwebs.

And I disagree, I think Murphy could turn out to be the best of the bunch, but he won’t be ready this year. He’s got every bit the talent Ewers has, and then some.

Card is not a bad QB but he doesn’t have the upside of Ewers. Card is an ideal QB2 given his knowledge of the offense and his maturity. If Ewers were to go down for any reason, I feel good about Card.
Agreed. Card is a perfect QB2. Couldn’t ask for a better QB depth chart than Card and Maalik at QB2 and QB3.

Oh kemosabe, you underestimate the level of freakthefvckoutedness that can be observed in this little corner of the interwebs.

And I disagree, I think Murphy could turn out to be the best of the bunch, but he won’t be ready this year. He’s got every bit the talent Ewers has, and then some.
Agreed about Maalik but we are talking about this year. Maalik May be the most talented of the bunch but he’s not there yet. Ewers is probably more ready now than Maalik.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Very strange for Sark not to make the announcement. There’s gotta be something else going on here.

Very strange for Sark not to make the announcement. There’s gotta be something else going on here.

Not really. Why make a big deal out of the announcement? The silence is because they were all trying to figure out how they were going to explain to their subscribers that they had it wrong and were out of the loop.

Card didn't show me anything.

He was tentative and didn't have an arm.

This kid has a cannon. A legit cannon. If anything, he's going to suffer from the same problem Chris Sims had-- "My arm is SO special that I can make ANY throw."

And he can. He just has to know when it's too high risk.

Not really. Why make a big deal out of the announcement? The silence is because they were all trying to figure out how they were going to explain to their subscribers that they had it wrong and were out of the loop.
I told you after the first 2 days of them throwing, what was going on. One QB was standing on the far hash and throwing ziplines to the WR on the deep out, and the other QBs were having their butt holes pucker trying to make the same throw.

Hell-- let me go find it....

This kid has a cannon. A legit cannon. If anything, he's going to suffer from the same problem Chris Sims had-- "My arm is SO special that I can make ANY throw."

All these risks?

I told you after the first 2 days of them throwing, what was going on. One QB was standing on the far hash and throwing ziplines to the WR on the deep out, and the other QBs were having their butt holes pucker trying to make the same throw.

Hell-- let me go find it....
Found it--

Card is overthrowing because he's trying to match Ewers in velocity-- and he can't.

Think about the psychology at work here. You're a QB that sees the other guy throw a laser from the outside hash to the far sideline on a deep out. ZIP-- on a frozen rope.
Now its your turn to throw the same route to the same WR.
You take the snap, turn, plant and your brain goes "gotta throw it just as hard as the other guy or I lose my chance to start" - your legs flex, your hips turn, your abs tighten-- then your shoulder gets the signal from your brain and your little adrenal gland squeezes out that little extra drop, and just as your elbow is coming past your ear your wrist says "oh sh!t, we ain't gonna make it!" So your wrist tries to milk that last little bit of ZING and........ you over arch the throw.

Why?

God didn't give you the same arm the other guy has.

So it’s normal for a school’s sports information Director to make the announcement of who’s the starting qb?? Come on, that very odd. Never seen that happen before. Whatever the reason, it makes Sark look afraid to address the media about making that decision.

All these risks?
There's risks.

Look-- when you have a gift that special, high-school is a joke. That kid could have legitimately played with one arm tied behind his back and thrown for 3000 yards.

Now in college he's still super special. He's going to have some success early against lower calibre guys and yes, he may get cocky enough to try and zip one into bracket coverage against Bama and get his ass burned.

But the first requirement for being a gunslinger at QB is-- you have to have a gun. And this kid has one.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
There's risks.

Look-- when you have a gift that special, high-school is a joke. That kid could have legitimately played with one arm tied behind his back and thrown for 3000 yards.

Now in college he's still super special. He's going to have some success early against lower calibre guys and yes, he may get cock enough to try and zip one into bracket coverage against Bama and get his ass burned.

But the first requirement for being a gunslinger at QB is-- you have to have a gun. And this kid has one.
And I'm good with it my man. 10/8. 👍

Last edited:

There’s more to playing QB than arm strength though. Joe Burrow is a great example of that. High IQ with average arm strength. But, if you have it, then it definitely makes playing the position easier. I don’t really think we seen enough of Card to know if he has it or not. I thought he showed progression in the WV game last year. He only turned the ball over once last year.

That being said putting Ewers in is the right call. His ceiling is the sky in my opinion. I just hope Sark doesn’t pull him at the first sign of adversity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT