ADVERTISEMENT

Football

So, college athletes are supposed to acquire a degree which can be used in the arena of work to earn $$$. Where is that concept lost?

We need to get back to the concept of the student athlete. If someone does not want to be at a university, enter an amateurs league instead. The entrance scores for athletes should equal that of the regular student.

Back to football. What will our interior d line rotation look like and what are the probabilities that this may be our weak link this year?

Good thing for the Horns five upperclassmen former starters returning in the secondary: Boyd, Locke, Davis, Bonney, Jones.
That’s good. Like I said, I was unsure about who you returned. Didn’t know if you guys were hanging on your freshmen or not. Sounds like you guys have a really good returning secondary.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
BTW, Texas' Defensive Efficiency Index ranking last season was #6 in the country only behind Georgia, Auburn, Wisconsin, Alabama, and Clemson. TCU was second in the Big 12 at #18.

Texas' 2016 rating was #45. That's a huge improvement.

Can you predict that rating for this upcoming year, and if so, where do you expect us to be?
(I know it's gotta be a real SWAG!)

So, college athletes are supposed to acquire a degree which can be used in the arena of work to earn $$$. Where is that concept lost?

We need to get back to the concept of the student athlete. If someone does not want to be at a university, enter an amateurs league instead. The entrance scores for athletes should equal that of the regular student.

Back to football. What will our interior d line rotation look like and what are the probabilities that this may be our weak link this year?

There are enough dudes with experience for depth on the interior just don't know if any are elite/special. Looks like they have Nelson as their #1 guy for now. I would guess behind him order would be Wilbon, Chisolm, Graham, Christmas, then the freshman Ojomo and Couburn.

Can you predict that rating for this upcoming year, and if so, where do you expect us to be?
(I know it's gotta be a real SWAG!)

No clue, but I'll guess. (TLDR my guess still top 25)

BTW the ESPN advanced metrics/efficiency ratings had the Texas defense at #5 last year and the offense at #97. Right near where the other system, FEI, had it.

Well, the D keeps Orlando and his system which year two should be a marginal improvement alone with second year in a new system for both the players and coaches. However, they lose Poona, Malik, Hill, and Elliot who were arguably the best players at each level of the defense.

It's hard to expect no drop off, but they should still be solid to very good. A good indication would the bowl game vs Mizzou, one the of country's best offenses and one of the top QB's who may be the first guy off the NFL board next draft. That game was played without Malik, Hill, and Elliot on for the draft, plus Chris Nelson was out due to injury. Only Poona played in that game and the D still absolutely dominated arguably the SEC's top offense (Big 12 just too physical:) Texas held Mizzou to 20 points below their season average, over 100 yards of offense below their season average, and allowed only 5 yards per play down from their season avr. of 7.2

So, without the guys leaving and Chris Nelson out it was still a great D. But....there won't be the best punter in football this year pinning back the opposition deep all day, AND there is no way the D will be as lucky on the injury front. The D last year had a relatively very healthy year (whereas the offense was extremely unusually harsh).and it's unlikely they will be as lucky this year.

With all that, I would guess they should still be a top 25 defense with a decent shot at holding serve and being a top 10 D. Even if they are a top 25 D they just need the offense to get out of the gutter (which will help the D) and there should be some more overall improvement into Herman's second year.

Yeah, I disagree a whole bunch here.

If the entrance requirements for athletes was the same as regular students college football as we know it would cease to exist.

Reactions: outhereincali
Easy killer. Some of us could read....
Hahaha I know. What percentage of scholly football athletes would have actually been accepted on their own scholastic merit to places like UT, Michigan, Florida, Stanford, Cal, Ohio St, Penn St..etc...much less 80% of any other decent school?

Hahaha I know. What percentage of scholly football athletes would have actually been accepted on their own scholastic merit to places like UT, Michigan, Florida, Stanford, Cal, Ohio St, Penn St..etc...much less 80% of any other decent school?
I can tell you this from first hand kowledge.

I scored a 1280 on my SAT as a soph. Back then, perfect was 1600. I petitioned the SAT to take it as a sophomore because of potential foreign studies reasons (mom knew a dean at oxford) and I scored high enough, that no schools ever asked me to retake it. Then my junior year, stanford, duke, rice, you name it, started recruiting me. In point of fact, there were only two schools that didn't recruit me: ND and Miami. Then Harvard called. My mom, the academic, demanded I take their call. They told me that I'd have to score at least 1300 so I could get the full academic funding as an athlete (ivy league schools don't give athletic schollies). So to shut my mother up, I took the ACT. Made a 31 out of 33 on that sucker. Mommy was so proud. I told Harvard to pound salt..... I'm going to Texas. Mom couldn't get mad....... she went to Texas too.

How many power five kids actually qualify by the same standards as other students??? Maybe 5%. Maybe.

I can tell you this from first hand kowledge.

I scored a 1280 on my SAT as a soph. Back then, perfect was 1600. I petitioned the SAT to take it as a sophomore because of potential foreign studies reasons (mom knew a dean at oxford) and I scored high enough, that no schools ever asked me to retake it. Then my junior year, stanford, duke, rice, you name it, started recruiting me. In point of fact, there were only two schools that didn't recruit me: ND and Miami. Then Harvard called. My mom, the academic, demanded I take their call. They told me that I'd have to score at least 1300 so I could get the full academic funding as an athlete (ivy league schools don't give athletic schollies). So to shut my mother up, I took the ACT. Made a 31 out of 33 on that sucker. Mommy was so proud. I told Harvard to pound salt..... I'm going to Texas. Mom couldn't get mad....... she went to Texas too.

How many power five kids actually qualify by the same standards as other students??? Maybe 5%. Maybe.

How many of Stanford's scholly athletes do you think could get in on their own merit?

It does seem that their athletes are genuinely good students.

But I think I read somewhere that athletes at Stanford are given some leeway
Have you heard that.

Imo the Wonderlic is b.s.. Only one person ever had a perfect score. Guess what school he went to? And don't worry about the name.

If the entrance requirements for athletes was the same as regular students college football as we know it would cease to exist.

I would be interested to know how many service academy athletes could get into a school like Texas on their own.

I would be interested to know how many service academy athletes could get into a school like Texas on their own.

Joking right? Service academies are not in the college football business. Football is literally just an extra curricular activity. You gotta be a sharp cookie to get in, and they're not gonna lower their future officer standards just because you run a 4.4 forty. Why do think they suck?

There is a league like that. Ivy League.

Joking right? Service academies are not in the college football business. Football is literally just an extra curricular activity. You gotta be a sharp cookie to get in, and they're not gonna lower their future officer standards just because you run a 4.4 forty. Why do think they suck?

I know that

Reactions: Metcalf #2

How many college graduates do you think actually work in the same arena as their degree? That number is way lower than most people imagine.

How many of Stanford's scholly athletes do you think could get in on their own merit?

It does seem that their athletes are genuinely good students.

But I think I read somewhere that athletes at Stanford are given some leeway
Have you heard that.

Imo the Wonderlic is b.s.. Only one person ever had a perfect score. Guess what school he went to? And don't worry about the name.
My parents (UT 1942) said that jocks got preference at Rice then. I worked with a fellow whose son was a high school star at point guard. He ended up at Penn, who gave him an "academic" scholarship. The dad was an obstetrician, made way more money than anyone getting financial aid.

4fckEb.jpg

Hook'em

BTW the ESPN advanced metrics/efficiency ratings had the Texas defense at #5 last year and the offense at #97. Right near where the other system, FEI, had it.

Well, the D keeps Orlando and his system which year two should be a marginal improvement alone with second year in a new system for both the players and coaches. However, they lose Poona, Malik, Hill, and Elliot who were arguably the best players at each level of the defense.

It's hard to expect no drop off, but they should still be solid to very good. A good indication would the bowl game vs Mizzou, one the of country's best offenses and one of the top QB's who may be the first guy off the NFL board next draft. That game was played without Malik, Hill, and Elliot on for the draft, plus Chris Nelson was out due to injury. Only Poona played in that game and the D still absolutely dominated arguably the SEC's top offense (Big 12 just too physical:) Texas held Mizzou to 20 points below their season average, over 100 yards of offense below their season average, and allowed only 5 yards per play down from their season avr. of 7.2

So, without the guys leaving and Chris Nelson out it was still a great D. But....there won't be the best punter in football this year pinning back the opposition deep all day, AND there is no way the D will be as lucky on the injury front. The D last year had a relatively very healthy year (whereas the offense was extremely unusually harsh).and it's unlikely they will be as lucky this year.

With all that, I would guess they should still be a top 25 defense with a decent shot at holding serve and being a top 10 D. Even if they are a top 25 D they just need the offense to get out of the gutter (which will help the D) and there should be some more overall improvement into Herman's second year.

Thanks for hazarding a guess, q1w2e3! I was hoping your response would be something close to that.
I have a hunch you are more right than wrong! I am looking forward to the 2018 season.
We have a payback to deliver!

ADVERTISEMENT