ADVERTISEMENT

Going to become an issue here: Big 12 locked out of playoff by preseason hype of $ec and ACC

Metcalf....what is going on?...apart from Mike Tyson I have always agreed with you....but I am not quite with you here. If Texas wins out, then damned right they are good enough to be at the big dance....just not if there are 4 undefeateds not named CFU in front of us. If there are only 1 or 2 undefeated teams, then I dont care if we lost to Maryland U or Maryland Monroe, we deserve it just as much as the next guy...

and another thing...I am amazed at how smart 2300 Nueces sounds when he says stuff I agree with...

I was wondering IF LSU would have beaten Florida and barely lost to Alabama, then Georgia won out and barely lost to Alabama in SEC championship game what would have happened?

what is this .".Barely lost" crap?...that only matters in College Station

What do yall have for your record books?

_W......... L ....... BL

2 ......... 0 ........ 2

One of only 7 teams with no losses this year.....advantage aggy,,,,Whoop!

Not sure committee would put Texas in. Lots of football to be played. From here you MIGHT need help. You need Notre Dame, Ohio St, or Clemson to lose. I think you would agree with that. If one of them loses it depends on who they lose to. You need TCU to keep winning. You need USC to keep winning. Really you need Maryland to do well to minimize that loss.

minimize losses?.....that is aggy even for aggy....do yall make this stuff up or do you have group think tanks?

Right now WV has the best shot for the big 12 to get in but the game they cancelled due to Florence is huge. They have to run the table. I haven't watched them play all year so I don't know how realistic that is.

It's not just the record that matters, but how everyone looks in those last several games. Ohio State in 2014 lost an ugly game early but they came storming back and earned their slot. So it all depends on those final 5 or 6 options and the optics. If we go undefeated AND we beat a really good OU/TCU/WVU *again* in a big and convincing Big XII championship win, then I think we would definitely get put into the playoff. However, I agree with others who have said I don't think we are there yet. This team still has some growing to do, and even being in Big XII contention and final top 10 ranking and making a NY6 game would be astronomically huge for us. My guess is we end up 10-2 and play in the Big XII champ game against OU or WVU and then play in a NY6 game.

Ohio State or Penn State will need to win impressive fashion in their conference championship game. Clemson hasn't looked that great. Alabama and Georgia will be interesting to see what happens there. Notre Dame probably will make it in. It all depends on the optics.

Not sure committee would put Texas in. Lots of football to be played. From here you MIGHT need help. You need Notre Dame, Ohio St, or Clemson to lose. I think you would agree with that. If one of them loses it depends on who they lose to. You need TCU to keep winning. You need USC to keep winning. Really you need Maryland to do well to minimize that loss.

I don’t trust Texas winning out. However, if we do it will include wins over USC, TCU, OU or WVU twice and a few other bowl teams (ISU, OkSt, either Tech or Baylor). Despite losing to Maryland I don’t think many teams will be able to point to such a schedule. And it’s Texas...like or agree with the bias it is there.

Now here is what I think

Baylor is a dangerous team. They have an offense that could take advantage of a defense lacking intensity. Ultimately Texas wins by 10-14

@OkSt. Is never a fun trip. Fans are rowdy and oSu can put up points. They force turnovers at home as well. I think Texas protects the ball and wins a close one 6-10 points.

WVU at home. Texas and the fans will not have a problem getting up for this game. Texas’ secondary will be up for the challenge and Texas will dominate the LOS. Texas wins by 14-17.

@Tech. Coaching for his life if the fans show up this will be a tough one. I think Tech is 4-5 coming into this game and will be inspired. Texas has trouble running the ball and loses the turnovers trying to sleep walk through the game. Tech wins by a FG.

Iowa State at home. Two tough defenses. Texas regroups and handles ISU at the LOS. Winning the turnovers Texas wins by 14-17 in a relatively low scoring game.

@Kansas. Texas needs a win to get to the CCG and will be focused. But gracious, is there anything worse than playing at 11am on the road in front of 15k fans? Texas wins by 24

CCG vs. OU. OU is better on D and Kyler Murray doesn’t turn the ball over. OU wins by 10.

That puts Texas at 10-3 with a probable Fiesta Bowl vs. a mid major. 11-3 and hammer recruiting. Next 4-5 years set up for legitimate run at CFP

what is this .".Barely lost" crap?...that only matters in College Station

What do yall have for your record books?

_W......... L ....... BL

2 ......... 0 ........ 2

One of only 7 teams with no losses this year.....advantage aggy,,,,Whoop!
You took that wrong. I’m not talking from an Aggie perspective. I’m a football fan. If Georgia barely loses to Alabama, it’s a better loss than the Texas loss to Maryland. The committee looks at that. It sucks for other conferences but it has been that committee motto that they want the best teams in and not just conference winners.

UCF anyone? They did get a national title parade last year, and have the current longest winning streak.

I don’t trust Texas winning out. However, if we do it will include wins over USC, TCU, OU or WVU twice and a few other bowl teams (ISU, OkSt, either Tech or Baylor). Despite losing to Maryland I don’t think many teams will be able to point to such a schedule. And it’s Texas...like or agree with the bias it is there.

Now here is what I think

Baylor is a dangerous team. They have an offense that could take advantage of a defense lacking intensity. Ultimately Texas wins by 10-14

@OkSt. Is never a fun trip. Fans are rowdy and oSu can put up points. They force turnovers at home as well. I think Texas protects the ball and wins a close one 6-10 points.

WVU at home. Texas and the fans will not have a problem getting up for this game. Texas’ secondary will be up for the challenge and Texas will dominate the LOS. Texas wins by 14-17.

@Tech. Coaching for his life if the fans show up this will be a tough one. I think Tech is 4-5 coming into this game and will be inspired. Texas has trouble running the ball and loses the turnovers trying to sleep walk through the game. Tech wins by a FG.

Iowa State at home. Two tough defenses. Texas regroups and handles ISU at the LOS. Winning the turnovers Texas wins by 14-17 in a relatively low scoring game.

@Kansas. Texas needs a win to get to the CCG and will be focused. But gracious, is there anything worse than playing at 11am on the road in front of 15k fans? Texas wins by 24

CCG vs. OU. OU is better on D and Kyler Murray doesn’t turn the ball over. OU wins by 10.

That puts Texas at 10-3 with a probable Fiesta Bowl vs. a mid major. 11-3 and hammer recruiting. Next 4-5 years set up for legitimate run at CFP
I will agree with you that Texas has more flavor than your average joe. Like I said you need TCU to do well as well as USC. If TCU and USC end up unbanked with 4 losses those wins aren’t as good. I’m not sure West Virginia is a great team. They haven’t hit the rough part of their schedule yet. I’m just saying winning out won’t be enough right now unless you have some help.

Now here is what I think

Your killing me weev!

59b7359ef1af7b215195e862aeda4242_zpsf14581cd.jpg

Hook'em

You took that wrong. I’m not talking from an Aggie perspective...
Color me skeptical. All I see are 2 aggys rushing over to this website immediately after we jump into the top 10 to argue against Texas' chances of a playoff berth.

For what it's worth, I don't think we're ready this year for that but there's a ton of football left. Several contenders are bound to lose. Happens every year.

I will agree with you that Texas has more flavor than your average joe. Like I said you need TCU to do well as well as USC. If TCU and USC end up unbanked with 4 losses those wins aren’t as good. I’m not sure West Virginia is a great team. They haven’t hit the rough part of their schedule yet. I’m just saying winning out won’t be enough right now unless you have some help.

Two very big factors in Texas’ favor regardless of TCU and USC. *if they win out*

1- They lost a LONG time ago. Early >>>>>> Late
2- The last thing they’d put in the committee mind is a win vs. a top 10

You took that wrong. I’m not talking from an Aggie perspective. I’m a football fan. If Georgia barely loses to Alabama, it’s a better loss than the Texas loss to Maryland. The committee looks at that. It sucks for other conferences but it has been that committee motto that they want the best teams in and not just conference winners.

The reason that both got in last year was because Alabama was a better team and they didn't play in the title game. If both get to the title game only the winner will go to the playoffs especially if ND runs the table. Still lots of football to play but this year I don't see Alabama losing a game. Their O is on another level.

This is not a great year to be the 4 seed, especially if it is really controversial. Alabama might even play their starters for all 4 quarters and who ever gets left out will say "see team X had no business making the playoffs, they got blown out." Then the following week Bama blows out Georgia and everyone complains 2 SEC teams got in. It will be very entertaining.

Still lots of football to play but this year I don't see Alabama losing a game. Their O is on another level.
Not that LSU has the offense to keep it close, but their game with Alabama will be interesting. If Alabama rolls over that defense and their WR's run away from those DB's and score 50, call off the playoffs. I can't believe Saban said f it, and recruited better receivers than backs (and I realize he has multiple 5 star rb's).
I have no idea how good Alabama's defense is, would like to see them actually pushed so we could find out. I'm assuming pretty good if called upon.

The playoff should have been set up with 8 teams from the beginning. Not sure what they were thinking when they made it only 4 teams.
I agree with you. All I've heard is mumbo jumbo about too many games being too hard on the players. But that doesn't hold up for me. Look, conference championships are the first week in December. The first bowl games don't start until 12/15 to 12/19~ish. The teams playing in conference championships aren't playing in those early bowl games. So these 'elite' teams are sitting out for practically a month until they play again. Makes no sense to me why you don't have an opening round middle of December.

First weekend Dec - conference championships

Second weekend - week off to prepare + Army/Navy

Third weekend - opening round of playoffs. The five big conference winners plus 3 at-large, which leaves room for a second team from a conference and/or a truly great Group of 5 school or independent. Higher seeded teams host.

Then you start the 'lesser' bowls middle of the next week, going through Christmas up to NYE.

New Year's the four winners in the playoff face off as the final remaining bowl games, setting up the Nat'l Championship.

Teams still get to sit out nearly two weeks between their big games.

Two very big factors in Texas’ favor regardless of TCU and USC. *if they win out*

1- They lost a LONG time ago. Early >>>>>> Late
2- The last thing they’d put in the committee mind is a win vs. a top 10
Better early is correct. They do put stock on who is hot. Everyone though in the top 10 will have wins over top 10s...maybe.

B12 champ @ the pig skin final 4 just does not stand a chance W/O a substantial D:eek:

Metcalf....what is going on?...apart from Mike Tyson I have always agreed with you....but I am not quite with you here. If Texas wins out, then damned right they are good enough to be at the big dance....just not if there are 4 undefeateds not named CFU in front of us. If there are only 1 or 2 undefeated teams, then I dont care if we lost to Maryland U or Maryland Monroe, we deserve it just as much as the next guy...

and another thing...I am amazed at how smart 2300 Nueces sounds when he says stuff I agree with...

I guess I'm just trying to say tap the brakes, and I just don't feel we are ready to make a good showing this year if we did get in the playoff. There's a lot of football left to be played. WVU will be tough, and we could easily shit the bed against ISU or sand aggy. A big bowl win would look better than getting embarrassed in a playoff game. Let's just wait and see how things look at the end of the regular season. Don't forget it'll be extremely difficult to beat either OU or WVU twice.

Sorry it took so long, the board got so busy I almost forgot this post.

EDIT: and btw, judging from the number of likes I got on that post, you are in the minority sir! Stand down. Lol jk.

Last edited:
EDIT: and btw, judging from the number of likes I got on that post, you are in the minority sir! Stand down. Lol jk

I am offended!.....well...ok, I am not offended....I agree with tapping the brakes...we havnt won shit as of yet. Beating OU was nice, but kind of ..meh..in the overall scheme of things. Besides, I expected to beat em. I also agree we are not ready for prime time right now, but if we did happen to win out ( odds are against this) ....then we would be as deserving as anyone else with one loss to be there.

and another thing....kind of hard for me to stand down when I am on my high horse...

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I guess I'm just trying to say tap the brakes, and I just don't feel we are ready to make a good showing this year if we did get in the playoff. There's a lot of football left to be played. WVU will be tough, and we could easily shit the bed against ISU or sand aggy. A big bowl win would look better than getting embarrassed in a playoff game. Let's just wait and see how things look at the end of the regular season. Don't forget it'll be extremely difficult to beat either OU or WVU twice.

Sorry it took so long, the board got so busy I almost forgot this post.

EDIT: and btw, judging from the number of likes I got on that post, you are in the minority sir! Stand down. Lol jk.
I've debated this myself. What would be better for the end of the season? Making the playoff as #4 seed and being embarrassed by Alabama in the first round? Or making a big NY6 bowl game as #5 or #6 in the nation and winning. I know 'making the playoff' sounds ultimate, but I can't help shake the feeling I have about Washington. They begged to be let in, college football nation whined, the playoff committee let them in, and they were obliterated. I never have looked at them the same, always thinking they are overrated and can't hang with the big dogs.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I’ll be happily surprised if Texas wins out. I tend to think WV or Tech gets us. I’m just ecstatic that Kyler Murray is gone after this season and he’s 0-1 versus Texas

I've debated this myself. What would be better for the end of the season? Making the playoff as #4 seed and being embarrassed by Alabama in the first round? Or making a big NY6 bowl game as #5 or #6 in the nation and winning. I know 'making the playoff' sounds ultimate, but I can't help shake the feeling I have about Washington. They begged to be let in, college football nation whined, the playoff committee let them in, and they were obliterated. I never have looked at them the same, always thinking they are overrated and can't hang with the big dogs.

I don't think that its realistic to expect that Texas is going to win out and make the playoff any way. Given a choice, I'd rather go to a NY6 bowl and win than go to the playoff and get smoked by Alabama.

I don't think that its realistic to expect that Texas is going to win out and make the playoff any way. Given a choice, I'd rather go to a NY6 bowl and win than go to the playoff and get smoked by Alabama.

Sorry guys but I'll take the playoff every time. I think our starters will put up a great fight against their starters but their depth will eat us up in the second half. However, I'll take the chance to let this team grow up. For the record, I never said we would win out. I was irritated by the talking heads on espn and cbs writing us out of the playoff right after our victory against ou.

Sorry guys but I'll take the playoff every time. I think our starters will put up a great fight against their starters but their depth will eat us up in the second half. However, I'll take the chance to let this team grow up. For the record, I never said we would win out. I was irritated by the talking heads on espn and cbs writing us out of the playoff right after our victory against ou.
Ya it's silly to prognosticate now about the playoff. What if Ohio State loses to Michigan or loses in the B1G championship game? What happens when Georgia loses? There's too many question marks. Assuming ND and Clemson win out, they probably will get in, plus the SEC champ and maybe the B1G champ, but it just depends on how all the wins/losses fall. If UT wins every game including the Big XII champ game, it'll be really hard to deny UT entry into the playoff. But I personally would prefer a stepping stone season and just get a big bowl game and compete and hopefully win it. We've been so bad for so long that I don't want to not enjoy what a 11, 10, or even 9-win season would feel like.

:)

ADVERTISEMENT