ADVERTISEMENT

Herman's Pool Party, Pierce's 2017 player additions, NBA Draft, and 22 other thoughts...

DustinMcComas

You are what your fWAR says you are.
Gold Member
Apr 26, 2005
Wooten, Austin
There's a lot going on this week in the world of sports, so here are 25 thoughts on all of it and a little bit more. Let's begin with a thought about Tom Herman's pool party...

1) Recruiting success for a top program can sometimes be explained by the simplest of equations: get top prospects on campus as much as possible, create an environment that they like and want to be around, build relationships, and then enjoy the results.

Often, the “follow the visits” rule is right. Prospects that continuously visit a program are likely to go to that program, especially if the visits are more than other schools. So, a coach and program that come up with more ways to get kids on campus to have a good time are usually winning the game. Creatively staying ahead of the curve in recruiting is valuable, and that’s what Tom Herman and Texas are doing.

I’m not here to proclaim a pool party in June as the greatest recruiting thing ever. But, it should definitely be noted that what Texas pulled off this weekend was another clever way to get prospects on campus, create a fun environment, and build on already existing relationships. That’s how you win in recruiting, and the extra caveat is it accelerates – or at least aides – team-building and culture-building too.

2) A question lingering throughout the Texas program constantly: who the heck is going to play right tackle? Among the potential options was Brandon Hodges, who yesterday announced his plans to leave the program as a graduate transfer. Now what?

Considering that Hodges wasn’t a guarantee to start, despite competition from almost completely unproven options and a lack of true production at the position, let’s avoid an unnecessary meltdown. That being said, he was one of the better options. Alex Dunlap examined the issue in detail yesterday, which you can read here.

My thinking right now about the position: do we sometimes – perhaps often - overrate whether a guy is a right tackle, or a tackle, or whatever specific position he’s labeled? Texas will find its best five to put on the field, and although many of them are unproven, there are young players in the program with the talent to develop, especially as experience builds. Herman and company already made it clear they can scheme around things on offense, and they were able to generate production from an offensive line group last year in worse shape than the one they have now.

3) The Longhorns are offering a ton of talented receivers, and are in decent or better shape with a lot of them. Suchomel’s recent update on Rondale Moore along with the recent offer to Tommy Bush crowds the position even more. About that…

a) If you’re a talented receiver and want a spot at Texas, you better jump on that offer soon. Something fans forget in this process is that the college coaches accept commitments; they still hold a lot of the power in this. Yeah, I know. It doesn’t make sense on some levels, but in this era of offering 50 or 100 more prospects than a program can take in one class, that’s how it works.

b) I don’t see a lot of difference between a prospect like Moore and Jaylen Waddle. Work down the Texas offer list and you’ll notice all are very talented, and diverse. Sure, a prospect like Brennan Eagles is always going to have a spot, but if a receiver that Texas offered wants to jump on his spot, it wouldn’t be the Longhorns taking a lesser prospect; they’re all pretty damn good.

c) Texas was always going to take a large receiver class in 2018, and while the Longhorns are in good position with a group of targets, the odds of all of them wanting to go to Texas are low.

Armed-and-Ready-1.jpg

Bryce Elder threw back-to-back no-hitters in the playoffs
Photo: Joe Duty, WCMessenger.com

4) I expected David Pierce and his staff to immediately and aggressively search for 2017 recruiting additions following the MLB Draft, but that doesn’t make what they’ve done this week any less impressive. Decatur righthander Bryce Elder is a good get at this time of the year – a rising senior that developed later, and could be an immediate bullpen option. Duke Ellis gives Texas talent (20th round pick by Padres; hit .419 at Panola College and has plus-plus speed) and a player that could make an immediate impact as an everyday outfielder.

It’s not easy to add quality senior or JUCO players this time of year, but Texas has. And it desperately needed to. It wouldn’t surprise me if there are more on the way.

5) After the addition of Ellis, I feel better about Texas’s offense for 2018, especially because Ellis can fill an area of need (outfield, and particularly center; Austin Todd is more of a corner outfielder than centerfielder). The Longhorns are going to be fast, athletic, and versatile. Masen Hibbeler can play all over the infield, and every outfield spot. He’ll be in the lineup somewhere.

C – Michael Cantu/Michael McCann
1B – Kody Clemens/Ryan Reynolds/Hibbeler/Zach Zubia
2B – Clemens/Joe Baker/Hibbeler
3B – Reynolds/Hibbeler
SS – David Hamilton/Hibbeler
LF – Austin Todd/Clemens
CF – Ellis/Hibbeler
RF – Fields/Todd
DH – Zubia

Texas won’t have the pop it had in 2017, but it will have some, particularly in Zubia. He’s mashed six homers, seven doubles, and is hitting .307/.447/.667 with 18 walks and 21 strikeouts in the Northwoods League, regarded as one of the best leagues behind the Cape Cod League.

Speed and athleticism will be present throughout the lineup. If Reynolds, Todd, and Hamilton progress as expected, the UT offense could be in fine shape.

6) Speaking of Ellis, I heard that some pro teams considered him in the top 200 picks of the draft. He could emerge as a premium hitting talent in Austin. At Panola, he hit .419/.491/.615 with 21 steals and four homers in 53 games. And he still has plenty of room to fill out and add pop. His father, Robert Ellis, was listed at 6-5, 220 pounds when he pitched in the big leagues for four seasons.

7) Although the late addition of Bryce Elder helps, Texas needs to get Donny Diaz (I still believe that's 50/50) on campus and add another arm. The third spot in the starting rotation will likely remain a mystery throughout the fall and into the spring. Plus, Texas is going to depend on a lot of new faces to throw a lot of innings, and you never know for sure how a pitcher is going to handle that environment and jump in competition until he does it.

8) If you needed any more evidence, this week again shows that the Texas Baseball staff grinds. Finding quality additions this late in the game isn’t easy, and speaks to the work-ethic, urgency, and deep roots in Texas that the staff has.

9) Is the Texas Basketball culture changing? Riverside Academy (Reserve, Louisiana) 2018 combo guard Jared Butler is a smart kid. He’s one of the better kids I’ve talked to, and has interest from schools like Princeton. So when he notices something, I listen, and during his Texas visit he noticed a culture different from what he experienced during his Alabama and Houston visits.

“They’re all three different schools. The campus is legit. Alabama and Houston’s are nice too. They facilities are all nice. But the thing that separates is I think the culture at Texas is kind of different,” the three-star guard stated. “They kind of have a, 'we’re going to recruit at a high level and win at a high level' thing. They want guys that aren’t shy.”

Something that bugged me about Texas last season was its lack of confidence and leadership, and both of those issues were prevalent throughout many games. Texas needs a culture installation and mental tweak this summer. It sounds like, at least according to one recruit that visited, the Longhorns are making strides in that area.

rsdxzb9ilzfhzhtkvq1s

Keldon Johnson is emerging as Texas's top target

10) If you want to know the Matt Coleman – an extremely important recruit that’s clearly the top priority – for the 2018 class, I believe it’s Huntington Prep (Huntington, West Virginia via Sterling, Virginia) guard/forward Keldon Johnson. He’s emerged as the guy Texas must have, and is yet another Virginia product that Texas has recruited for years.

I’d be surprised if Johnson isn’t eventually a five-star prospect. And, like Coleman, the thing I like about him most is mental – he’s one of the toughest, most competitive prospects I’ve covered.

11) In terms of on-court products, the NBA is the worst among the biggest professional sports. Sure, we saw perhaps the greatest team of all-time just win an NBA title, but it came after a boring playoffs that emphasized the gap between the best teams in the league and everyone else. There is no parity in the NBA, and that’s become increasingly true each time the salary caps grow, giving players the power to significantly influence the development of star-studded teams; I’m not against players having that power, but it makes for a sometimes boring product.

Since 1980, the following teams have won a NBA title:

Lakers, Celtics, 76ers, Pistons, Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, Heat, Mavs, Warriors, Cavs.

That’s it. And that trend isn’t going away.

But if there’s one thing the NBA owns among all the big professional sports, it’s the offseason, which has reached a new height thanks to the ability of teams to, if they chose, clear out salary space in order to chase the next big free agents even if those players aren’t free agents for a full year (Paul George most recently). In the NBA’s pursuit to compete with the clearly elite teams, it creates chaos in the offseason, and especially around draft time. We’re seeing that right now.

12)
How do you make up for a bad move last offseason to sign Timofey Mozgov to a four-year, $64 million deal? By giving up on a 21-year-old, former No. 2 overall pick in order to dump his salary for 2018 free agency. The Magic Johnson era is off to a great start (note: read that in a sarcastic tone).

I don’t know if Russell is going to be a star, but he’s shown legitimate signs of developing into a solid NBA player. Heck, this is a guy that’s barely three months removed from dropping 40 points on LeBron, Kyrie, and the Cavs, and he needed just 22 shots to do it with only one turnover. Russell made improvements this past season.

That’s quite the price to pay in order to clear cap space for a free agency that’s a year away. Sure, the Lakers will draft Lonzo Ball, but Russell and Ball could have played together. It would have been a very intriguing young backcourt with two highly skilled but different lead guards.

As Zach Lowe tweeted yesterday, the Pacers should have jumped on the chance to acquire Russell in a deal for George. Meanwhile, the Nets managed to acquire a top five lottery talent despite not having that pick, and didn’t have to give up a precious pick either, which is something they’ve treated like those flyers for hookers in Las Vegas that people pass out on The Strip.

13)
Just when you think the Knicks couldn’t top their league-leading dysfunction, these reports emerge yesterday. Yes, on a day when Cleveland managed to let go of its well-liked, good general manager despite the best player on the planet wanting him to receive an extension, the Knicks found a way to top the headlines.

It doesn’t sound too realistic, though.

But, then there’s this:

14)
This is good news for the Spurs. They’re now likely going to have significantly more financial flexibility this offseason than they would if Gasol opted in. What that means? I’m not sure. Chris Paul was the speculated name at the end of the playoffs. However, with Jerry West’s arrival in Los Angeles (the other Los Angeles team not the one where he became the logo) and the idea that LeBron James would possibly consider the Clippers I don’t see that happening anymore.

Unlike teams like the Lakers and others just dumping players to clear cap space, the Spurs will doing something intelligent in order to improve their team because that’s what they always do.

15)
The Dwight Howard freefall continues. How bad is it? He was traded while he was doing a NBA Draft Q and A. Howard’s ability and legacy have been skewed so significantly that it’s not even worth discussing because if there’s one guy in the NBA that no one can think rationally about, it’s Howard, which is saying something because no sport creates ridiculous hot takes like the NBA.

Howard will never again be 2009-10 Howard, when he was a perennial MVP candidate. But, he had his best season since 2011 according to PER, win shares, true shooting percentage, total rebounding percentage and offensive rating.

From a basketball side, I’m not sure how much better this makes Charlotte, but Howard was one of the better bigs in the NBA last season.

16)
If the Clippers could pull that off, it would be an outstanding move. The Suns reportedly declined, but it shows that the Clippers are serious about using an asset to improve the potential of the organization in the future and clear money. Can West pull a Theo Epstein and break a curse?

17) I haven’t even mentioned Jimmy Butler, the other teams trying to get in on Paul George, and more. It could be a wild few days with the NBA Draft on Thursday.

18) Speaking of the NBA Draft, this is the first group of prospects that I saw a lot of in person on the basketball recruiting beat. My top 10 prospects:

Markelle Fultz
Josh Jackson
De’Aaron Fox
Lonzo Ball
Malik Monk
Jayson Tatum
Jonathan Isaac
Lauri Markkanen
John Collins
Jarrett Allen

--- I’ve been riding shotgun on the Fultz train since I covered the USA Basketball training camps he was at. He’s a truly elite talent, and a guard that can do everything, including run point with maybe the tightest handle in the draft class, elite body control, and great hoops instincts.

--- Jackson is extremely competitive, tough, and will impact games on both ends of the floor. Tatum is a better pure scorer that will likely get acclimated to the NBA quicker, but Jackson’s upside is higher, particularly because of his defensive ability.

--- Fox’s ability to shoot from beyond the arc concerns me, but he actually shot better at the free throw line (73.6 percent compared to 67.3 percent) than Lonzo Ball. It’s not a stretch to project Ball as having the ability to be one of the best passers and floor generals we’ll see on the offensive end. He has that talent, and was born to play point guard and run a team. But Fox has game-changing speed, is more athletic, and is better defensively.

Look at how Ball shot from three-point range against quality opponents:

Kentucky (2-of-8)
Cincinnati (4-of-7)
Oregon (3-of-8)
Arizona (4-of-8)
Oregon (3-of-7)
Arizona (1-of-5)
Arizona (1-of-6)
Kentucky (1-of-6)
USC (2-of-7)
USC (1-of-3)
USC (2-of-6)
Utah (3-of-7)
Cal (1-of-7)

Against KenPom.com top 100 opponents, he shot 35.1 percent from three. Not bad at all, but much different from the 41.2 percent overall.

The truth is someone could rate Ball as the No. 1 prospect and make a real case for it. Heck, I thought about doing it. I just like Fox’s whole game a little better, and I’d be lying if I said their two head-to-head performances didn’t play into the thinking. Both guys have good makeup and will put in the work, although I think Fox is more likely to emerge as a vocal leader in the league.

--- Monk is much more than just a shooter. He’s an underrated facilitator and playmaker who possesses outstanding athleticism. His wingspan measurement at the NBA Draft Combine (6-3.5) was noticeably lower than all his other measurements over his career even though the height measurement was the same.

--- Maybe I’m biased because I saw him up close in AAU, USA Basketball, and Texas, but I love Allen’s upside in the NBA, and believe the questions about his motor and competitiveness are overblown. He needs to get a lot stronger, but he’s also a shade over 6-10 with a 7-5.25 wingspan with the ability to run the floor better than any big. Plus, as the reps increase, his jumper will emerge as a real threat eventually. Combine that with his pick-and-roll defense and he’s a big that’s made for this era of NBA hoops.

061917_cody_2_hr_night_med_zyf6dqtx.gif

Fastball up and away; slider down and in; it doesn't matter to Bellinger

19) What Los Angeles Dodgers rookie outfielder Cody Bellinger is doing right now – smashing homers at a rate we haven’t seen in a long time – is almost unbelievable. Until you look at the swing.

Bellinger swings very hard all the time. It doesn’t matter if it’s 0-0, 3-1, or 0-2. He’s swinging to hit the ball out of the yard, and he does so with a big bat and a bigger uppercut. Although he also has surprisingly good bat-to-ball skills despite the strikeout rate and makes adjustments well, Bellinger represents where baseball is shifting – launch angle, more uppercut, more homers.

In his 52 games, he’s smacked 22 homers, and has an absurd .398 ISO (Babe Ruth’s career mark was .348). Now, imagine if he played his home games in a hitter friendly park compared to the cool, breezy night air in Los Angeles and pitcher-friendly dimensions.

The frightening thing about the Dodgers? Top prospects Willie Calhoun and Alex Verdugo are mashing the ball in AAA, Julio Urias is lurking in the minors, and the farm system has more than enough to make a move.

20) In time, Astros top prospect Francis Martes could emerge as a solid starter. While there have been flashes of brilliance, I still see a young arm that is mostly a two-pitch pitcher that can battle his control and command. Houston would be asking a lot of Martes to view him as a starting rotation upgrade now or in the future (later this season), although his future (overall) remains very bright.

More important than the changeup development for Martes will be adding some weight/movement to a flat fastball.

21) Look out. Here come the Cubs and Indians. The AL and NL Central races were fun while they lasted.

22) Evan Turner asks the important questions.

23) Taking vacation in August, and contemplating a trip to Mexico City. The flights and hotels are cheap. Thoughts? Suggestions? Some say it’s the best place to visit, while others say don’t go alone.

24) I’m 31 years old, but I find the minions hysterical, and Despicable Me 3 will be a must-watch for me.

25) Gangsters, Grandmothers, and Gold: Japan’s New Crime Wave

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News