ADVERTISEMENT

*****Horns vs Frogies Game Thread**********

I think they just want to see another player with their hand on the ground. That is how they define fronts, how many people line up in a 3 point stance.

This is my only complaint with that. Bitching about defensive scheme when you don’t know defense. Complain away, I’m not saying that at all. And I’m not anti 4 man front but that completely changes what you do at LB and secondary level.

I actually prefer a 4-2-5 to a 3-3-5, but a 3-3-5 gives you so much more versatility because you have one extra hybrid type athlete out there

Nah. A base 4-3 defense on run downs with the option to replace 1 linebacker with a nickelback on passing downs. The defensive coordinator gets paid over a million a year to to study film on other teams and learn their passing/running formations and tendencies on downs.

In the Big 12, some teams (Iowa State, Kansas State, TCU) are not as much of a passing threat as others. Looking at the QB stats, we stink at defending the run & pass equally.

4-3 will not work against 4 WR sets man. I’m not happy with Orlando but what we’re proposing in this thread will not get it done either.

This is my only complaint with that. Bitching about defensive scheme when you don’t know defense. Complain away, I’m not saying that at all. And I’m not anti 4 man front but that completely changes what you do at LB and secondary level.

I actually prefer a 4-2-5 to a 3-3-5, but a 3-3-5 gives you so much more versatility because you have one extra hybrid type athlete out there

I agree totally, but you hybrid player has to be able to do a lot of different things very well. I'm not sure we have that yet.

Once the young guys we are playing defensively now have some more seasoning, we will be much more difficult to deal with.

I guess I just believe that a 3 Star player with 3 years of experience is better than a 4 Star with none.

Just face it that Herman hasn't found the right Chemistry, DKR found it several times, MB found it twice, look at the teams for both of them, Star players on both sides of the ball, Strong couldn't find it, no Herman hasn't and that's why he's not the one, until he finds it, its gonna be like this...

4-3 will not work against 4 WR sets man. I’m not happy with Orlando but what we’re proposing in this thread will not get it done either.
Exactly when you move to nickel. The “hybrid” is not exclusive to 1 formation type either.

I know football pretty well. Played from 7th grade through my freshman year of college, when I cut myself as a walk-on at UT. Didn’t see myself getting any meaningful playing time.

Last edited:
Exactly when you move to nickel. The “hybrid” is not exclusive to 1 formation type either.

I know football pretty well. Played from 7th grade through my freshman year of college, when I cut myself as a walk-on at UT. Didn’t see myself getting any meaningful playing time.

I know you know football. We’ve had many a quality chats on here.

Just to reiterate, I’m pro 4-2-5 as a base and adjust from there. It is the easiest

I know you know football. We’ve had many a quality chats on here.

Just to reiterate, I’m pro 4-2-5 as a base and adjust from there. It is the easiest

I really don't care weev what the man runs as long as it works, I think maybe someone is keeping him from changing it?? or it would have been changed, ya think?

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
I would think that Orlando would call his defense multiple. If you don't get caught up on the players position, sometimes we are running concepts where the B-back makes us look like a 4-2-5, other times we are in a 3-3-5 with a safety spun down, other times we look like the dime is our base defense.

It is extremely predictable and not very inventive. On top of that when the play breaks down, the receivers just stand there and try to "box out" the defender. It is like they never work on scramble drill at all....EVER.

Matchups are hardly exploited. Formations are hardly shifted. The route tree is very generic. It's frustrating.
This.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
It is extremely predictable and not very inventive. On top of that when the play breaks down, the receivers just stand there and try to "box out" the defender. It is like they never work on scramble drill at all....EVER.

Matchups are hardly exploited. Formations are hardly shifted. The route tree is very generic. It's frustrating.
As a former receiver myself nothing drives me insane more than when a play breaks down and you see a receiver just stand there. That’s 1 of 2 things either they are not being coached the scramble drill or they are just being lazy. I noticed it a lot in the TCU game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT