ADVERTISEMENT

Hudson Card

Hoookem722

Nov 23, 2019
I don’t know about you guys but I think it’s time to give Card a shot in this next game. Quinn is pre determining where he is going with the ball pre snap and that’s just not going to work. Also his footwork is a mess. He needs some serious work on that this offseason. Mentally he just looks to be in a bad place and that’s not something you want out of a QB.

Reactions: paynejl
Now that we have basically nothing to play for besides a slim chance at the CCG, I’d rather us live and die with Ewers. Get him the reps. If sark is the Qb whisperer he’s made out to be, he should be able to get some improvement out of ewers. The injury against Bama, not only cost us that game I think, but missing 3 games really hurt his development. He needed those reps.

Now that we have basically nothing to play for besides a slim chance at the CCG, I’d rather us live and die with Ewers. Get him the reps. If sark is the Qb whisperer he’s made out to be, he should be able to get some improvement out of ewers. The injury against Bama, not only cost us that game I think, but missing 3 games really hurt his development. He needed those reps.
I think some people forget he missed his whole senior season of high school as well. That’s probably hindered his development to miss out on all those reps.

Reactions: Texasfan1963
I think some people forget he missed his whole senior season of high school as well. That’s probably hindered his development to miss out on all those reps.
I think there's something else in the mix. The dude played lights out minus a couple of freshman reads then for some reason he forgot how to throw? It doesn't pass the smell test.

I don't think the shoulder injury is entirely it because he was able to whip the ball after the injury return. Another hand injury maybe? Why would his last 3 games look so bad? Our WRs didn't help much with the untimely dropped balls either. There's something we don't know.

I think there's something else in the mix. The dude played lights out minus a couple of freshman reads then for some reason he forgot how to throw? It doesn't pass the smell test.

I don't think the shoulder injury is entirely it because he was able to whip the ball after the injury return. Another hand injury maybe? Why would his last 3 games look so bad? Our WRs didn't help much with the untimely dropped balls either. There's something we don't know.
The K State game I thought he was pretty good and especially in the red zone. He’s just a young QB and it’s a lot to ask of him when your running game only has 28 yards rushing for the whole game. If he comes out against Kansas and struggles then I really do hope Sark gives Card a shot.

He’s got to really work on his footwork. I’ve been saying since his first game that that’s his biggest flaw. That’s what causing a lot of his inaccuracies.

I don’t know about you guys but I think it’s time to give Card a shot in this next game. Quinn is pre determining where he is going with the ball pre snap and that’s just not going to work. Also his footwork is a mess. He needs some serious work on that this offseason. Mentally he just looks to be in a bad place and that’s not something you want out of a QB.

Card pre-determines his receivers too. He can't read either and misses receivers all the dame time.

Footwork is super overrated in modern QB play. However, weight leverage is not and he does need to work on that.

Agree 10000% on his mentality.

All that said, sometimes you need a different POV and try and spark a struggling unit. Plus, you'll see what Ewers is made of. So maybe not a bad idea.

**** Alabama and all the ills that come their way. Twice they have screwed what could've been a special trajectory for this program.

Sark needs to keep working with both QB's to get better. Neither are very good. At this point, the season is over, so wins and losses don't really mean that much either way. I'm looking forward to Texas baseball.

Comparing QB with the old Benjamin TSquare:
Experience – goes to Card, he went to the playoffs his senior year in high school while Ewers skipped his senior year. Card also has a another full season in Sark’s offense.
Leadership – Card, from the start this year he has had better command of the offense and has players respect.
Dual Threat – Card, he was the #2 ranked dual threat QB coming out of high school and has shown he can gain first downs using his feet.

Grit – Card, he has shown the toughness that Inspires teammates to play hard. Running hard when injured… Ewers seems lost, to calm and uninspiring.

Mechanics and footwork – Card

Short to Intermediate passes – Card, his ball travels with more speed/velocity getting to the receiver quicker. Ewers ball sort of floats and just takes forever to get to the receiver.

Long Ball – toss up, neither are accurate.

NIL - Ewers

If Sark stuck it Card like he is Ewers, no telling how good he would be!

Experience – goes to Card, he went to the playoffs his senior year in high school while Ewers skipped his senior year. Card also has a another full season in Sark’s offense.
Leadership – Card, from the start this year he has had better command of the offense and has players respect.
Dual Threat – Card, he was the #2 ranked dual threat QB coming out of high school and has shown he can gain first downs using his feet.

Grit – Card, he has shown the toughness that Inspires teammates to play hard. Running hard when injured… Ewers seems lost, to calm and uninspiring.

Short to Intermediate passes – Card, his ball travels with more speed/velocity getting to the receiver quicker. Ewers ball sort of floats and just takes forever to get to the receiver.

NIL - Ewers

What about upside? We’ve seen Card’s ceiling, and it’s not very high. He is a decent QB but no world beater.

Ewers has a lot more talent and upside than Card.

Reactions: diadevic
What about upside? We’ve seen Card’s ceiling, and it’s not very high. He is a decent QB but no world beater.

Ewers has a lot more talent and upside than Card.
I’m not sure if we have seen Cards upside. Didn’t have time to grow. Ewers is so far behind mechanically. Ohio dropped him to 4th on the QB chart knowing that doing so he would leave the program.

I’m not sure if we have seen Cards upside. Didn’t have time to grow. Ewers is so far behind mechanically. Ohio dropped him to 4th on the QB chart knowing that doing so he would leave the program.

We know Cards ceiling. It’s extremely low. Are you serious?

What “mechanics” are you speaking of? I’d like to give a sincere response.

That’s pretty unfair to say. He was essentially still a senior in high school when he was at OSU. No way he was going to start from day one there. No one would. Ryan Day said he was very surprised when Ewers announced he was transferring. I think they had high hopes for him.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I am not sure the best course of action. At some point, it isn’t fair to the rest of the team for Sark to allow UT to be Ewer’s private NFL training camp. Do other players get to keep there job for that many missed assignments? All I can think of are seniors like Rojo that has given his all. Play to win, not to preserve your QBs delicate psychy. Ewers will be okay, but chew him out if that is what is needed or bench him for a series. It may help him.

NIL - Ewers

But all those points to Card are negated with 1 glaring issue, he waits too long to pull the trigger.
Yes, I wanted Sark to put Card in for a series or 2 just to see what happens. Card holding onto the ball is why he had so many sacks and allowed the defense to stack against the run. Ewers has seemingly regressed into similar patterns and for whatever reason, lost his accuracy.
Something has to give.

But all those points to Card are negated with 1 glaring issue, he waits too long to pull the trigger.
Yes, I wanted Sark to put Card in for a series or 2 just to see what happens. Card holding onto the ball is why he had so many sacks and allowed the defense to stack against the run. Ewers has seemingly regressed into similar patterns and for whatever reason, lost his accuracy.
Something has to give.

Agree on all of your points. Neither guy is playing at a level that's going to win big games, nor put Texas in the mix for the CFP. Something has to give, and it won't be this season. This season is done. What guy is going to step up and prove to be that guy who puts Texas on his back and into contention for the playoff starting next year is the question.

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
I am not sure the best course of action. At some point, it isn’t fair to the rest of the team for Sark to allow UT to be Ewer’s private NFL training camp. Do other players get to keep there job for that many missed assignments? All I can think of are seniors like Rojo that has given his all. Play to win, not to preserve your QBs delicate psychy. Ewers will be okay, but chew him out if that is what is needed or bench him for a series. It may help him.

Do other players get to keep their job for missed assignments?

OL
WR
LB
DB
K

Yes, others get to keep their job for missed assignments

Do other players get to keep their job for missed assignments?

OL
WR
LB
DB
K

Yes, others get to keep their job for missed assignments
So, keep him in or change things up? Not sure what your position is. I want to give TCU credit for scheming a very good defense against our multiple all-pro skill players. I am sure it wasn’t easy for Quinn, that should ag least acknowledged.

So, keep him in or change things up? Not sure what your position is. I want to give TCU credit for scheming a very good defense against our multiple all-pro skill players. I am sure it wasn’t easy for Quinn, that should ag least acknowledged.

I stated I’m not against letting Card have a run if Ewers struggles at Kansas. However, our OL os not getting better and they aren’t very good as a unit so it probably doesn’t matter.

Drops. Falling down. Not wining a single 50/50. Those aren’t on the QB.
Everyone needs to be better, not just the QB

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a long time and couldn't be further from the truth. He got to Ohio State at the end of August, 2 weeks before the first game. He was never going make his way up the depth chart with Stroud already establishing himself.

I stated I’m not against letting Card have a run if Ewers struggles at Kansas. However, our OL os not getting better and they aren’t very good as a unit so it probably doesn’t matter.

Drops. Falling down. Not wining a single 50/50. Those aren’t on the QB.
Everyone needs to be better, not just the QB
But Card gives you that running element when a play breaks down. I just think it's time for Quinn to take a little time off and get a reset. If I remember correctly, Mack had to bench VY for Chance Mock early in his career. Not 100% sure about that one but I was thinking that happened for some reason.

But Card gives you that running element when a play breaks down. I just think it's time for Quinn to take a little time off and get a reset. If I remember correctly, Mack had to bench VY for Chance Mock early in his career. Not 100% sure about that one but I was thinking that happened for some reason.

At this point I don't give a rip, whatever will inject some life into the offense. I was wrong about Ewers. He is either still hurt or doesn't have the mental fortitude I thought he did. His talent is still elite, that won't change. But talent isn't enough these days.

At this point I don't give a rip, whatever will inject some life into the offense. I was wrong about Ewers. He is either still hurt or doesn't have the mental fortitude I thought he did. His talent is still elite, that won't change. But talent isn't enough these days.
I'd let Quinn start the game and give him a couple of drives. If he can't get it going then i'd put Card in for the hell of it and see what happens. I really think Quinn missing that senior year of high school hindered his development. That's 14-15 games he missed out on. You can practice all you want but there's no way to replicate game reps in practice.

I just hope this week Sark simplifies things for him a little bit. He just needs to ditch all those deep passes for this week and focus on the short and intermediate concepts. Give him some high percentage throws to get going. I have also noticed when we run tempo it seems like Quinn is more comfortable. That might be something to think about as well.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a long time and couldn't be further from the truth. He got to Ohio State at the end of August, 2 weeks before the first game. He was never going make his way up the depth chart with Stroud already establishing himself.
Then why was he demoted to 4th string? In the age of NIL, anyone with talent will transfer if no chance at playing. If the coaches wanted to keep him on the team they would have moved him to 2nd string.

Quick Feet – probably because of his arm strength, he hasn’t worked on developing quick feet in the pocket.

Stepping up in the pocket – as the pocket develops, he needs to step up into the lanes while looking down field. He is a statue watching only his primary target.

Read progressions – he should be looking downfield and going through receiver progressions.

Feet planted – his feet are never planted when throwing. Rule #1, set then throw.

Drop back ball position – the ball should be held high and tight near the back shoulder. In a cocked position. He holds the ball low, near the waist.
Quick release – ball should be loaded by right ear, not far from the body. His ball placement is for from the body, causing the ball to float and soar. Hence his problems on a windy day.
Arm angle – because of Mahomes, everyone thinks it's cool to throw from all types of arm angles. Mahomes is a freak of nature and this is not good mechanics for most QB’s.

Left elbow elevated and arm tuck towards chest.

Look, the Colts had to totally retrain Ehlinger how to properly throw a football. Ewers has potential, but the definition of potential is currently not great.

Quick Feet – probably because of his arm strength, he hasn’t worked on developing quick feet in the pocket.

Stepping up in the pocket – as the pocket develops, he needs to step up into the lanes while looking down field. He is a statue watching only his primary target.

Read progressions – he should be looking downfield and going through receiver progressions.

Feet planted – his feet are never planted when throwing. Rule #1, set then throw.

Drop back ball position – the ball should be held high and tight near the back shoulder. In a cocked position. He holds the ball low, near the waist.
Quick release – ball should be loaded by right ear, not far from the body. His ball placement is for from the body, causing the ball to float and soar. Hence his problems on a windy day.
Arm angle – because of Mahomes, everyone thinks it's cool to throw from all types of arm angles. Mahomes is a freak of nature and this is not good mechanics for most QB’s.

Left elbow elevated and arm tuck towards chest.

Look, the Colts had to totally retrain Ehlinger how to properly throw a football. Ewers has potential, but the definition of potential is currently not great.

Quick feet, lol. Quick feet/footwork is the most overrated "mechanic" in QB play. Half the guys in the NFL have shoddy "footwork"

Well, when your two guards are absolute dog shit in pass pro, stepping up in the pocket isn't really an option.

Read progressions - agreed. He seems to have gotten worse

"Feet planted" - what the **** does this even mean? It is like saying "stay inside the baseball" when coaching someone to hit. No ****ing shit. Now, explain what that means. Are you saying both feet are in the air? That he is on his tiptoes? This is one of the laziest critiques of a QB, not you specifically, but I hear this shit all the time. Someone, somewhere said this and it is a narrative that is so incredibly shallow it drives me nuts.

It is about weight leverage, not your damn feet "planted" Nobody throws with their feet off the ground.

Ball doesn't have to be held high. Guys that throw at lower arm angle and from multiple angles don't hold the ball high. Nothing burger here

Did you really just say that (1) Quinn doesn't have a quick release and (2) that the ball MUST be loaded by the right ear? Come on man.

Quinn is what he is, he ain't changing, nor should he. He needs to learn how to control his weight leverage when throwing from different arm angles, NOT completely revamp his style. Silliness.

Mahomes isn't even near the first guy to throw from multiple arm angles successfully.

Reactions: hookem777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT