ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine how different things would have been...

Very interesting. Would of loved to see coach Snyder take a big job. Had he done so he would be mentioned more with the greats (Bowden, Paternio, etc)

Reactions: bozans
When he took over KSU in 1989 they hadn't won a game the three previous years. In 3 years he had them with a winning record, in 5 years a bowl game, in 9 years an undefeated regular season.

Again, all I can say is, imagine what he could have done in Austin with Texas resources.

Would we have had the patience to hold onto him for 3 years?

???? Does not apply. Even when we are crappy we don't go 3 years without a win. Or.... If you haven't won a game in 3 years, you already have patients.

My question to you is....what is your point?

Reactions: swVAHorn
???? Does not apply. Even when we are crappy we don't go 3 years without a win. Or.... If you haven't won a game in 3 years, you already have patients.

Ok after 2 years with a losing record, people on this board would be calling for his head. That's all....

Jesus!....if you cant tell the difference between 2 years of a losing record and 3 years without a single win, I cant help you.....it all goes with fanbase expectations.

Reactions: crazypatriotguy
Snyder is a hell of a coach, but I don't think he fits in at a big time school. I think he embraces the do more with less mantra. I don't think he'd use the unlimited resources to be at an elite level year in and out.

Jesus!....if you cant tell the difference between 2 years of a losing record and 3 years without a single win, I cant help you.....it all goes with fanbase expectations.

Someone skipped his morning medicine.

Last edited:
Snyder is a hell of a coach, but I don't think he fits in at a big time school. I think he embraces the do more with less mantra. I don't think he'd use the unlimited resources to be at an elite level year in and out.
Great coaches adapt to what they have. Snyder would of adapted. Urban Myer won with lesser players at bowling green and Utah. He won with studs at Florida and Ohio state. Chris Peterson won with lesser talent at Boise. Now in the playoff with better(but not elite) at Washington Snyder would of been fine at a Texas type program

Snyder at Texas would have gone through a losing streak.

The point is, Snyder would not still be coaching at Texas now, had he been hired instead of David McW. Besides, he might not have had the patience or felt the loyalty he does to K-State, had he been a Longhorn coach.

This is like all the "What if Mack had recruited this QB that turned out to be better than anyone dreamed" questions.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces

The point is, Snyder would not still be coaching at Texas now, had he been hired instead of David McW. Besides, he might not have had the patience or felt the loyalty he does to K-State, had he been a Longhorn coach.

This is like all the "What if Mack had recruited this QB that turned out to be better than anyone dreamed" questions.

This, and the losing streak would have ended in his termination. The lack of patience is our achilles heal.

Were you around for the McWilliams years or the Mackovic years? He took a shit stain and in 10 years made them elite. You don't think he could have taken Texas to the heights of the college football world? In 1998 he was an upset away from playing for the national title.

What is my point? If you can't see my point, you are a stupid MFer.

I saw in 1992 the aggsy sign every top player in Texas and shit down their leg with that class, I saw Texas do the same thing in 1998. Imagine what a real coach could have done with that talent. Imagine if Jesse Armstead had an elite instate option rather than leaving to Miami with all the rest of the elite talent of the 80's and early 90's. That is my point.

A coach like Bill Snyder makes Texas a top 5 team throughout the late 80's and all the 90's and he retires in 2005 as a legend with several national titles and our Stadium is named Snyder Texas memorial stadium. That is my speculation for starting this thread.

If you can't tell the difference in what Snyder could have done at Texas and what he did at KSU, you are too stupid to pay attention to.

It's pure speculation, but he is a better coach than Anything Texas has had since DKR, probably better than DKR as well. He does less with more because he has to, when he has talent he raises them to All American heights. And yes, he has had elite talent, most of which have fallen to KSU because of grade issues or had to go Juco first.

KSU has owned Texas since we joined the Big 12, and that is 100% on Snyder. Where Texas has relied on superior talent to win, KSU wins by being better coached.

If Snyder was our coach, there would have been no 1990 Cotton Bowl Fiasco against Miami. There would have never been no aggsy dominance in the late 80's early 90's. There would have never been a rout 66 to UCLA. There definitely would not have been 35 years between national titles.

Of all the elite coaches out there from the 80's to today, Bill Snyder is the one guy out there Texas could have had early one. He was an assistant under Hayden Fry at North Texas State in the early 80s, he understood Texas football.

Yea, I think we could have had him.

If Mack had recruited any of the in state QBs that came out and have made an inpact in college as well as the NFL he'd probably have another title or two and wouldn't of been run out. Not really about anyone being better than ever.

This, and the losing streak would have ended in his termination. The lack of patience is our achilles heal.
Yep. I hope if Herman comes out and goes 6-6 or 7-5 the knives don't come out. I don't think they will because he's the boosters guy so that by it self will get him some rope, but I made this point in another thread. You keep running off coaches and getting similar results. At some point you gotta think maybe it's not the coach.

1. You can't roll back time.
2. You can't know in advance who is going to be spectacular. Even a sure thing 5 star could get a career-ending injury, succumb to marijuana-malaise, get into legal trouble, or switch to a different sport. And there are scholarship limits today, so you can't take 'em all.
3. What works well at KSU or A&M or wherever isn't necessarily going to be lights-out awesome at Texas. Our boosters, fans, the LHN and Big 12 provide special challenges. There are more distractions in Austin. The ethical standards are higher at UT-Austin than at many programs. The academic standards sure are (and both Kansas schools accept 93+% of all applicants -- so Snyder can grab any idiot juco out there).

If it were that easy to just mix and match, and plug in a good coach, then Texas would have won more Big 12 championships.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

Last edited:
Come on man. This is unwarranted. He did not call your mom names dude. He just disagreed. The truth is Snyder may have done great or he may have gotten run out of town. It is all opinion. MANY coaches have done great at one school and not done well at others.

Also oldhorn was talking to nueces and not you son of wasatch

Last edited:
1. You can't roll back time.
2. You can't know in advance who is going to be spectacular. Even a sure thing 5 star could get a career-ending injury, succumb to marijuana-malaise, get into legal trouble, or switch to a different sport.
3. What works well at KSU or A&M or whatever isn't necessarily going to be lights-out awesome at Texas. Our boosters, fans, the LHN and Big 12 provide special challenges. There are more distractions in Austin. The ethical standards are higher at UT-Austin than at many programs. The academic standards sure are (and KSU is a degree mill, so Snyder can grab any idiot juco out there and he's accepted at KSU with no problem).

If it were that easy to just mix and match, and plug in a good coach, then Texas would have won more Big 12 championships.

Sorry to rain on your parade.
EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!

We didn't run off Mack Brown, he retired in 2009 and forgot to tell anyone.

We didn't run off Charlie Strong, he couldn't handle the job and was relieved of his duties. If you think Texas ran off all those assistants, you are wrong, Mack Brown ran off all his assistants, Charlie Strong ran off all his assistants. That is on the head coaches not the fans, or BMDs.

Was there pressure to do so, yes, but the coach is responsible for his assistants and they have the responsibility to stand up to the pressure and say he is the right guy for the job.

Were you around for the McWilliams years or the Mackovic years? He took a shit stain and in 10 years made them elite. You don't think he could have taken Texas to the heights of the college football world? In 1998 he was an upset away from playing for the national title.

I saw in 1992 the aggsy sign every top player in Texas and shit down their leg with that class, I saw Texas do the same thing in 1998. Imagine what a real coach could have done with that talent. Imagine if Jesse Armstead had an elite instate option rather than leaving to Miami with all the rest of the elite talent of the 80's and early 90's. That is my point.

A coach like Bill Snyder makes Texas a top 5 team throughout the late 80's and all the 90's and he retires in 2005 as a legend with several national titles and our Stadium is named Snyder Texas memorial stadium. That is my speculation for starting this thread.

If you can't tell the difference in what Snyder could have done at Texas and what he did at KSU, you are too stupid to pay attention to.

It's pure speculation, but he is a better coach than Anything Texas has had since DKR, probably better than DKR as well. He does less with more because he has to, when he has talent he raises them to All American heights. And yes, he has had elite talent, most of which have fallen to KSU because of grade issues or had to go Juco first.

KSU has owned Texas since we joined the Big 12, and that is 100% on Snyder. Where Texas has relied on superior talent to win, KSU wins by being better coached.

If Snyder was our coach, there would have been no 1990 Cotton Bowl Fiasco against Miami. There would have never been no aggsy dominance in the late 80's early 90's. There would have never been a rout 66 to UCLA. There definitely would not have been 35 years between national titles.

Of all the elite coaches out there from the 80's to today, Bill Snyder is the one guy out there Texas could have had early one. He was an assistant under Hayden Fry at North Texas State in the early 80s, he understood Texas football.

Every bit of this is your o p i n i o n. Quit acting like you know for a fact this would be the case. You do not. And your anger over someone disagreeing with you is over the top.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
Of course you can't roll back the clock, and again, IT'S ALL SPECULATION

I will say this again, Bill Snyder is a better coach than anything Texas has had since DKR and he is probably better than DKR ever was. He will retire without ever winning a national title, but only a fool can't see that this isn't the case if he were coaching at a school like Texas.

Every bit of this is your o p i n i o n. Quit acting like you know for a fact this would be the case. You do not. And your anger over someone disagreeing with you is over the top.

Get over yourself, don't like my response move on, he came strong at me, I returned the favor. I don't care if anyone agrees with me or not, but the level of my response was directed at the level of his. Don't like it, ignore me.

Get over yourself, don't like my response move on, he came strong at me, I returned the favor. I don't care if anyone agrees with me or not, but the level of my response was directed at the level of his. Don't like it, ignore me.
You want me to get over myself because I thought you went off on someone who was not even talking to you? yeah ok. You need to understand 1. He was not talking to you. 2. You gave an opinion and anyone on here can disagree with that opinion without being called a stupid MFer.

Use that ignore button on everyone who disagrees with you and you will be lonely on here I can guarantee you that.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
giphy.gif

If we're talking about me, and my posts, all I did was point out some other things to consider.

I'm not offended, and I can assure you that my mother isn't offended. As you can see above, I agree with you (Wasatch) on some points. We didn't run off Mack Brown or Charlie Strong. They deserved to go. Out of respect, they each got an extra year or three.

I can't stand people that bitch about someone speculating. If you hate it that much what the hell are you doing on a messsge board? Lol

There is no doubt that Texas and programs like Texas present different challenges than a place like k State. Some of you act like he would coach the same way he does at K state. Yeah he can go get a bunch of juco kids to go to k state that couldn't go to Texas. If he were at Texas he wouldn't need juco kids. Not as many anyway. Coaches change their recruiting and coaching strategies based on where they are. Urban Meyer isn't recruiting the same kids at OSU he did at Utah.

It's also worth noting that College football has changed a bit. If Snyder had coached at Texas in the early 90's there wouldn't of been the LHN and a lot of the other "stuff" there is today. He wouldn't still be coaching here today(most likely)

I get that Texas can be a different animal at times. I think though that the guys that have 200+ wins can/could handle it

I can't stand people that bitch about someone speculating. If you hate it that much what the hell are you doing on a messsge board? Lol

There is no doubt that Texas and programs like Texas present different challenges than a place like k State. Some of you act like he would coach the same way he does at K state. Yeah he can go get a bunch of juco kids to go to k state that couldn't go to Texas. If he were at Texas he wouldn't need juco kids. Not as many anyway. Coaches change their recruiting and coaching strategies based on where they are. Urban Meyer isn't recruiting the same kids at OSU he did at Utah.

It's also worth noting that College football has changed a bit. If Snyder had coached at Texas in the early 90's there wouldn't of been the LHN and a lot of the other "stuff" there is today. He wouldn't still be coaching here today(most likely)

I get that Texas can be a different animal at times. I think though that the guys that have 200+ wins can/could handle it
I don't think the speculating was the problem. The problem was calling someone who was not talking to you a stupid MFer. It is over the top to disagree in that fashion.

Oldhorn was responding to nueces. He was not talking to or disagreeing with wasatch. Wasatch then called oldhorn names.

Not cool. Even if oldhorn disagreed with wasatch it ain't right to call names like that about an opinion. Understand now? It was not anyone "bitching" about someone speculating.

Last edited:

Just because someone disagrees with your opinion doesn't give you the right to preach to them and use profanity and call them names. I think you need some time off to cool off, Wasatch.

Someone skipped his morning medicine.
He is right. Strong had 3 years and he sucked all 3 years. It was not Texas not giving him enough time. He had the talent to win more than he lost this year. No excuses. He had the talent and lost. It had nothing to do with Texas not having patience. oldhorn is right.

Woah Son!!!....I was not replying to you. I was replying to Nueces 2300 or whatever his name is. Hell yes I wish we would have hired Snyder. Was I around?...uh...yeah, long before that. My whole point was that he could not ask if we would have fired Snyder for two losing years.....Snyder came to KS at a time they hadn't won even a game in years. That fan base had no expectation. Texas has expectations and besides...Snyder would have come in to a much,much better team at Texas than what he got at KS.

Son of Wasach....I have WAY too much respect for you as a poster to ever reply to you like I replied to 2300Nueces....sorry you thought I was talking to you

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT