ADVERTISEMENT

Instant analysis: New UT commit might have more upside than any WR in the country

DustinMcComas

You are what your fWAR says you are.
Gold Member
Apr 26, 2005
Wooten, Austin
Cliffs notes: The Longhorns continued their success in the Houston area with another commitment from an elite talent. Alief Taylor receiver Brennan Eagles became the 14th member of the Texas recruiting class when he announced his commitment on Twitter.

Rankings: Rivals.com rates Eagles as the No. 36 prospect overall, No. 3 player in Texas and the No. 7 receiver. Eagles is rated as the No. 2 player in Texas according to the 2018 LSR 100.

Key offers: Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State… you get the point.

Evaluation: Blessed with elite size (6-4, 214 pounds) and rare speed (4.51 40-yard dash) and quickness (3.99 shuttle), Eagles owns arguably the highest ceiling of any receiver nationally. A dynamic playmaker that is an elite downfield weapon, Eagles could be a game-changing receiver in college. He has the speed to beat corners and safeties down the field and the quickness and agility to run quality routes and make moves after the catch. At The Opening, Eagles made snagging footballs with one hand look relatively easy.

Frankly, he’s arguably the best receiver prospect in the country. If there is one area to nitpick and could make him a slam dunk five-star prospect, it’s in his ability to use his great physical tools to their full potential by constantly creating separation.

Eagles was easy to identify even as far back as 2016 at the Rivals.com Dallas camp. Alex Dunlap’s take:

“Time to get the radar up on 2018 WR Brennan Eagles from Alief. I'll say this: I had never heard of most of these kids coming into the day - certainly not many 2018 ones. However, I had constant notes about 'No. 134' and constant notes about a player in an all-star setting means something. One of the national Rivals analysts asked me my evaluation of the group and I told him I loved the way Eagles moved, tracked and adjusted to the football in flight, especially on such a windy day. He's going to make his living at the next level making big contested catches and separating with physicality. It turns out the Rivals analysts loved Eagles, too, as he won WR MVP.”

Why it matters: Not only did Texas again add one of the best receivers in the country, but it also, again, added an elite Houston-area prospect to the mix that’s going to aid the Longhorns’ recruiting efforts with other key prospects.

Enjoy:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News