ADVERTISEMENT

Jerrick Gibson and Nate Kibble have Steve Sarkisian's attention

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian addressed the media after practice on Monday.

Here are the highlights:

1. Sarkisian expressed satisfaction with the team's health and physical preparedness after five intense practices. He credited the strength and conditioning staff for their efforts in keeping the team in top shape. In addition, Sarkisian said the players' mental toughness has also been crucial, helping them adapt to the demanding training regimen.

2. Sarkisian highlighted Quinn Ewers' progress in managing the pocket under pressure. Ewers has shown an improved ability to step up and deliver accurate throws downfield, which is essential for the team's offensive success. Sarkisian emphasized the importance of Ewers' consistent pocket presence to maximize his effectiveness.

“I think when the opportunity has been there, Quinn has done a nice job of stepping up,” Sarkisian said. “And when he can get his feet underneath him, and he's stepping up in the pocket, he's deadly because he can throw darts and he can hit spots down the field. I'm not just talking about intermediate throws but down the field. We’ve got to continue to work on that pocket for him so that he gets comfortable with his pocket presence. But again, a credit to our defense. We want to make it as hard as we can on our offense, too, and our defensive front is doing a good job.”

3. Sarkisian was asked what is the biggest improvement Ewers has made on or off the field and praised the leadership qualities of his quarterback: “There isn't a J-Whitt [Jordan Whittington], right? There isn't a JT Sanders. There isn't a Bijan [Robinson] or a Roschon [Johnson] from two years ago that were kind of catalysts. Now that's him, and I think he's assumed that responsibility, but yet, it's still a challenge. We had to get him out of his comfort zone to go into a new space, and he was more than willing to do that. I think it's showing. Like anything, there's moments where we have to remind him, this is that time, this is what you're talking about. To me, that's been the glaring/biggest difference.

4. Sarkisian was asked if he would like Arch Manning to receive snaps in September and said, “Of course, I would. Yes.”

However, Sarkisian said he would not force the issue.

5. Sarkisian discussed the veteran presence on the defensive line, noting the experience of key players like Vernon Broughton and Alfred Collins. Sarkisian also praised the development of younger talents like Aaron Bryant, who is adding depth to the defensive front.

"A guy I think has made a lot of strides has been Aaron Bryant. He's been helpful," Sarkisian said. "Obviously, Colin Simmons, what he's brought. Zina [Umeozulu], I've been impressed with him. And then some of the young interior guys, whether you’re talking about a Dre Bledsoe, I feel like he’s starting to turn the corner. Alex January, Melvin Hills (III), those guys, so we've got a lot of depth. But more importantly, the frontline guys, it's an experienced group, and that's really encouraging because they're playing like veterans.”

6. Sarkisian described Edge Trey Moore as very twitchy: “Trey's not the biggest guy. He's not small, but he's not the biggest guy, but he's very twitchy. He has a unique ability to bend when he comes around the corner and get underneath tackles. He's a very natural athlete, so he can up and under and double-move guys. But I also think he works at his craft, and so he's not going to give you the same thing. He's going to set things up even as practice goes on. It's a great challenge for him. He's going against two good tackles in Kelvin and Cam. I think the sign of a good team is when you've got good players and either side is not dominating the other. Trey's winning on some rushes, and that's a good thing, and that's pushing those two guys at tackle as well

7. Sarkisian expressed confidence in the depth of the tight end group, praising players like Gunner Helm for their consistency. The development of Amari Niblack has also been notable, and said, “The last two or three days has probably had his best days since he's been with us.”

Sarkisian said Juan Davis has been the biggest and most pleasant surprise.

8. Sarkisian was asked to name players who have unexpectedly stood out during training camp. He said several young players have impressed during early practices. The first player Sarkisian said was freshman running back Jerrick Gibson, who ran with the third-team offense during a portion of practice on Monday. In addition, Sarkisian said freshman offensive lineman Nate Kibble has been impressive.

“I think having Silas Bolden,” Sarkisian said. “We didn't have him in spring. Definitely is going to be a factor for us in the fall. I would say on the defensive side of the ball. Jordan Johnson-Rubell, definitely. You can see the difference from spring to where he is today. Much better shape. He's a good football player for us. Ty’Anthony Smith, another guy. It’s hard with young players to have an expectation for what they're going to be because they haven't really played a whole lot. But those guys have shown us enough that you know they're going to find a role in a way on this team at some point in the fall. And again, there'll be others too. I'm just rattling a couple off that first coming mind.”

9. In addition, Sarkisian said he expects Bolden to play every position this season. He said Ryan Wingo will play on the outside because of his limited college experience but believes his other five receivers can play any position at a high level. By the way, Sarkisian said Wingo is very good on the outside.

10. Sarkisian discussed adjustments in defensive schemes to maximize the team's capabilities. The defense is now more versatile and strategic, with a focus on creating pressure from various angles. Players like Anthony Hill have brought a new dimension to the defense with their aggressive, downhill mentality.

"I think Anthony Hill provides a different aspect for our defense in the middle of our defense as well," Sarkisian said. "Jaylan [Ford] was a great player for three years. Take nothing away from his opportunistic ball skills. But Anthony definitely has a little bit different mindset, a downhill mentality. He's a striker. "

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News