ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A lot on the Mind)

They don't have to fire or rehire him on our timetable. That much is a fact.

The last I checked folks like the president of the university or the chairman of the board of regents and the athletic director do not have to come to people on this message board to make the personnel decisions around here.

And BTW yes there is a damn narrative no matter how much you think there might not be one every side has a story and every side has a narrative.

He claimed early on to have a tape that would exonerate yet he won't show it to the police and he won't show it to his employers.

You gotta answer for that part of the narrative: Most people I know of that would be in that situation would have that kind of information would give it to anybody they care to think about to get themselves out of that situation.

I hate to see what happened happened. And while he deserves the benefit of the doubt is any other innocent person made deserve does he deserve our sympathy. Not totally. Does he deserve to keep his job ?

That Sir is an open question.
You know he hasn’t shared the audio tape and a 100 other pieces of evidence showing she’s unstable because ….. ?

You know he hasn’t shared the audio tape and a 100 other pieces of evidence showing she’s unstable because ….. ?
Because OB has reported that and have spoken with people that know what's going on.

How have I never heard of it?
I'm not sure why it doesn't get greater hype and promotion. Everything about the production is high quality.

I found it back during Season 1 while surfing through the "Trending" list of shows on Netflix, and I saw it a time or two as the lead ad when you first log on to Netflix. But it doesn't get much hype, and I don't know why that is, especially as huge a show as it is in Europe.

I checked it out and was really a bit taken aback at how good this relatively obscure show is.

Maybe it has something to do with it being a subtitled show, and its backdrop is a period of German history that people are generally not real familiar with. Although Berlin was the epicenter of the Roaring 20s, and everybody is familiar with that era.

I'm not sure why it doesn't get greater hype and promotion. Everything about the production is high quality.

I found it back during Season 1 while surfing through the "Trending" list of shows on Netflix, and I saw it a time or two as the lead ad when you first log on to Netflix. But it doesn't get much hype, and I don't know why that is, especially as huge a show as it is in Europe.

I checked it out and was really a bit taken aback at how good this relatively obscure show is.

Maybe it has something to do with it being a subtitled show, and its backdrop is a period of German history that people are generally not real familiar with. Although Berlin was the epicenter of the Roaring 20s, and everybody is familiar with that era.
Probably subtitled related.

Reactions: In Stink
With Beard, I think if it’s a one time thing, he should be allowed back provided he attends anger management, relationship counseling, and maybe some anti-DV community service effort. People should be given a second chance provided he genuinely wants to become a better person and understands he did the wrong thing, regardless of who struck first.

Players and recruits should be able to see this as a positive. That the school won’t throw you in the trash and forget about you, but rather do what it can to help you learn and grow. The trash bin is only used as a last resort…it’s not like Beard committed something heinous like murder or rape.
Wow, so now we are going with the “He didn’t murder anybody” defense?
Way to set the bar.
You are sort of lost, dude.

Reactions: The Gnome Man

It's left the Texas athletic department and the basketball team that came to play for him in an impossibly uncomfortable situation. Every time I flipped over to the Stanford game on ESPN on Sunday, I found myself cringing over the idea that I might be tuning in at a moment when this national story would be discussed.
I have 4 year old son. Took him to a game this year, he loves the horns. Asks me every day if they are playing today. I just can't get excited about watching them right now with everything hanging over the program and I hate that I can't share that with him.

You got that right. Except the playoff expanding to 12 gives everyone a shot, in theory.

Right. When this happens, the definition of a successful season changes. A conference championship and top 4 seed in the playoffs will always remain the goal, but a season becomes a success if you qualify for the playoffs at a minimum and then how do you perform when you get to the playoffs.

Not qualifying for a 12 team playoff should always be defined as a failure at Texas.

I have 4 year old son. Took him to a game this year, he loves the horns. Asks me every day if they are playing today. I just can't get excited about watching them right now with everything hanging over the program and I hate that I can't share that with him.
I totally get it.

Right. When this happens, the definition of a successful season changes. A conference championship and top 4 seed in the playoffs will always remain the goal, but a season becomes a success if you qualify for the playoffs at a minimum and then how do you perform when you get to the playoffs.

Not qualifying for a 12 team playoff should always be defined as a failure at Texas.
💯💯💯

With Beard, I think if it’s a one time thing, he should be allowed back provided he attends anger management, relationship counseling, and maybe some anti-DV community service effort. People should be given a second chance provided he genuinely wants to become a better person and understands he did the wrong thing, regardless of who struck first.

Players and recruits should be able to see this as a positive. That the school won’t throw you in the trash and forget about you, but rather do what it can to help you learn and grow. The trash bin is only used as a last resort…it’s not like Beard committed something heinous like murder or rape.
There’s both a right/wrong issue here (if he did a portion of what has been reported, then I don’t want him associated with the University), and there is a practical side to this as well. How can you possibly have that person sitting in some family’s living room?

As far as seconds chance in life go, he needs to go earn it. It is a privilege to to coach at a place like Texas (not a right).

Because OB has reported that and have spoken with people that know what's going on.
Given the stakes, sensitivity and potential media storm - and the fact that highly skilled and experienced lawyers are handling the information - I would be both surprised and disappointed if the relevant information was known - or known to exist - by your sources.

Reactions: longhornms
Given the stakes, sensitivity and potential media storm - and the fact that highly skilled and experienced lawyers are handling the information - I would be both surprised and disappointed if the relevant information was known - or known to exist - by your sources.
You'd be surprised.

Actually we operate on the presumption of innocence. Caving to mass hysteria over everything is why we are where we are as a society now. Currently they’re allegations. Horrible ones, but only allegations. It doesn’t look good, but he’s not been proven guilty of anything yet. Once he has proven to have violated his behavior clause then he needs to be terminated immediately. Period. Until then, there’s no reason to overreact to what society or agenda driven media desires.
He’s already in violation. The contract clearly states that being charged with a felony is grounds for termination, as well as behavior detrimental to the university of Texas. This isn’t a court of law and the longer Texas waits the more damage could be done. The writing is and has been on the wall. We are delaying the inevitable.

Ketch,
Surprised David Thomas didn't show up in some form on your list of the best Longhorn football players. We would not have won the Natty without him. I found this in a 7 year old article in the Daily Texan:

The 2006 Rose Bowl game typically conjures up images of Vince Young tearing apart the USC defense and sneaking across the goal line with 20 seconds left on 4th-and-5. But few fans remember the team-leading 10 receptions that tight end David Thomas hauled in to help Texas earn its first national title since 1970.

“We couldn’t have won it without that,” former head coach Mack Brown said.

But Thomas’ earned more than just a national championship during his time at Texas. In his four years, Thomas also won the 2005 Rose Bowl by a slim margin and set the Longhorns’ record for receptions, yards and touchdowns by a tight end — records he still holds.

His play caught the eye of the New England Patriots, who selected Thomas in the third round of the 2006 NFL draft. He went on to have a fruitful seven-year career, in which he brought a Lombardi Trophy to New Orleans.

Reactions: Rockhornfan
Ketch,
Surprised David Thomas didn't show up in some form on your list of the best Longhorn football players. We would not have won the Natty without him. I found this in a 7 year old article in the Daily Texan:

The 2006 Rose Bowl game typically conjures up images of Vince Young tearing apart the USC defense and sneaking across the goal line with 20 seconds left on 4th-and-5. But few fans remember the team-leading 10 receptions that tight end David Thomas hauled in to help Texas earn its first national title since 1970.

“We couldn’t have won it without that,” former head coach Mack Brown said.

But Thomas’ earned more than just a national championship during his time at Texas. In his four years, Thomas also won the 2005 Rose Bowl by a slim margin and set the Longhorns’ record for receptions, yards and touchdowns by a tight end — records he still holds.

His play caught the eye of the New England Patriots, who selected Thomas in the third round of the 2006 NFL draft. He went on to have a fruitful seven-year career, in which he brought a Lombardi Trophy to New Orleans.
It was a prospects list, not a best players list.

He's definitely on the best players list.

I thought the old man tapered off down the stretch after a good start.
It did, If it wasn’t for Jeff Bridges, it wouldn’t make my list. Watch Gangs of London, Dirty old black bag,
Thank me later.

I have my eyes on the next two days,
Yeah it sounds paranoid, but probably better to just close the loop on these things before potentially starting a new fire.

The team is still there even if the head coach isn't. They still have potential to be very good, and need our support. None of this is their fault.

Reactions: srl
The team is still there even if the head coach isn't. They still have potential to be very good, and need our support. None of this is their fault.
The downside to what happened is that as unfair as it might be, the stink spreads to everyone.

Umm yes it does matter. 1 3/4 seasons in, freshman QB you said would likely struggle…

What context are you choosing to lean into?
again, context matters. just not to you it seems.

Umm yes it does matter. 1 3/4 seasons in, freshman QB you said would likely struggle…

What context are you choosing to lean into?

lol. THE context.

Not just your framing, which literally lacks all of the details.

For anyone that actually thinks Rodney Terry will be the head coach at Texas beyond the remainder of this season...

Just stop. I hope Rodney Terry coaches his ass of this year and it leads to something great next year, but it won't be at Texas (unless continuing as an assistant). You are talking about a guy that spent 10 years as a head coach at Fresno State and then UTEP, before voluntarily leaving as a HC to become an assistant again. Similar story with Chris Ogden. Some guys have what it takes to be a HC at a major DI program, and others are better suited as an assistant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT