ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Announcing some changes)

I don't understand why they don't give M a schollie. They can still RS him, but it allows for one more piece of depth that they don't have right now. Why the GS? And I would CHASE the ND QB until he commits somewhere. 2016 isn't gonna be much without QB play. CAN it happen with the two we have? Miracles do occur, but they are rare in football.

GOT is pretty weak right now. Having read the books, it is interesting to see the deviations this year, while trying to keep the general scope on task. Tyrion is being wasted so far, and Dany is just a mess. Marry a family leader? Please. Bolton's revenge? If it happens, it will be a major departure from the books, although I suspect Theon's escape, unlike in the books, will be with Sansa -- we'll see. John Snow is doomed, but at least we are spared the "Bran and the Crow's eye" this year, apparently. But any episode that does not include Arya is a disappointment.

Give CS his due for his recruiting class and creating NFL talent at Lou'ville. Let's see what he can do in a Big 5 conference -- my hopes are up.

Thanks for allowing McC to continue the baseball coverage, as crappy as the season has been. One problem with basketball coverage is that there are only a dozen kids to write about, as opposed to 85. Just hope Shaka figures out a way to mesh his philosophy with the talent on the team. Transitioning while including the Bigs as key players will certainly give Dustin something to write about. I look forward to an expanded edition on how he sees that working out for 2015-2016.

Hook 'em!!!

As an edit, after reading some of the posts, put me down as one who likes the sports + stuff for TTFTW. I rarely read your music stuff, but I have no problem with the length and viewpoints.

Last edited:
I read the Madison Holleran article - I have a 15 year old daughter and that scares the shit out of me. I know awareness is the intent but that is just flat out sad - a beautiful girl who left this world too soon.
Same for me, with depression in my family this is just incredibly frightening. The pressure that I see my daughter putting herself under to be perfect so she can stay near the top of her class to keep her college options open while also playing sports is tough to watch. What happens when she is off to college and doesn't have her parents to help moderate those feelings is just down right terrifying.

Dissapointed it appears baseball is taking a back seat. Dustin does ut baseball coverage better than anyone, newspaper, internet, or otherwise. It's a shame to marginalize a strength.

Ill sorely miss the coverage of the away games not on tv. I guess I am in the minority though. From the sound of it, it's a well thought out decision. I can appreciate the process even if the results are what I would want.

Last edited:
Reactions: East Mall
My first post got deleted,

68, fraiser or cs, I really dont know why you do what you do what you do Geoff?

Most, if not all of the intelligent posters understand who you are?

Jason has already told the majority of us your BS game.

I dont know why you will delete this post like the rest but, even your own staff is getting sick of your BS games Geoff
ted-smokes-weed-o.gif

Basketball

We’re going all-in with Shaka. For the first time in the history of the site, I’ve decided to commit a significant chunk of our resources to exclusively covering Texas roundball, as I’m excited to announce that Dustin McComas is our new Director of Basketball Content.

The truth of the matter is that there’s a little bit of a leap of faith taking place with the decision to elevate McComas into this specific role because the thirst for basketball content simply lags far behind football and football recruiting,

...but we’re absolutely serious about letting [McComas] devote the overwhelming majority of his attention on all things basketball for the foreseeable future.

This pleases me in an almost inexpressible manner. IMO, the one weakness to this site (other than the massive negativity and defeatism of the message board) has been the lack of basketball coverage.

I cannot express my excitement and pleasure at the increase in basketball coverage. Thank you very much.

Reactions: BobisHorny
"… Canelo Alvarez isn’t the best fighter in boxing, but there are few guys I want to watch more when they enter the ring. His destruction of James Kirkland might be boxing’s signature moment of the year thus far."

Yet Mayweather beat Canelo as well. Canelo was supposed to knock Floyd out.

Reactions: psychotic_genius
Saying JGray is going to rush for 1200 yds is kind of like going all in on a blackjack hand after the dealer has kicked your ass 3 times in a row (I picked that number because he's a senior. Get it?:))

Look, I'm all about the positive mental attitude and the leadership that he brings to the team, but he hasn't even sniffed numbers like that since he's been here. He's also going to need holes to run through because there's no evidence to suggest that he can break tackles and achieve YAC without more than solid line play. It's not all his fault. Our line sucks and has since what seems like the beginning of time. Gray getting his will require a team effort. He's not good enough to get it by himself.
Got to agree with you. The future is pretty well known by the past. I'm hoping for 750 - 800 yds.

All these new job titles are fine and nice, but I wanna know who got paid. It appears to me several raises are in order.

Same for me, with depression in my family this is just incredibly frightening. The pressure that I see my daughter putting herself under to be perfect so she can stay near the top of her class to keep her college options open while also playing sports is tough to watch. What happens when she is off to college and doesn't have her parents to help moderate those feelings is just down right terrifying.
If you're ever in a drive to see her or wait until she comes home mode.... go see her!

Reactions: BobisHorny
How many times have you watched Golovkin fight?
I dunno... at least a dozen times. Love watching him. I just believe that Canelo is the more skilled boxer. Not saying he would win the fight.

Dissapointed it appears baseball is taking a back seat. Dustin does ut baseball coverage better than anyone, newspaper, internet, or otherwise. It's a shame to marginalize a strength.

Ill sorely miss the coverage of the away games not on tv. I guess I am in the minority though. From the sound of it, it's a well thought out decision. I can appreciate the process even if the results are what I would want.
He's not going away forever from the sport, not by a long-shot, but there's just not enough interest to warrant marginalizing him by keeping him there as much as we have.

We're still developing a full answer there.

This pleases me in an almost inexpressible manner. IMO, the one weakness to this site (other than the massive negativity and defeatism of the message board) has been the lack of basketball coverage.

I cannot express my excitement and pleasure at the increase in basketball coverage. Thank you very much.
I think our basketball coverage is very underrated, but yes, it's getting much better.

Reactions: ppprhorns
McComas will still be involved because he has such strong connections and he's so good at it, but that arm of the site is a work in progress.

Bottom line: We might fly him in for the big series or the big events, but he's not going to be wasting his time on content that pushes the needle for less than 10-percent of the site.

That's been my biggest point of contention. For one, baseball recruiting for HS is damn near worthless because so often a recruit worth getting excited about, ala Josh Bell, never makes it to campus. I know your argument is that nobody cared about basketball recruiting 3-5 years ago but to some point that was also due in some part because there was no option. But that's water over the dam. I'm glad that aspect is changing.

What you might not know is that a class (Strong's 2011 Louisville class) that was ranked 29th by Rivals.com when the faxes came in on National Signing Day has produced more NFL Draft picks than any of the celebrated recruiting classes that Mack Brown produced over the course of 16 years. Yes, that includes the Vince Young-inspired 2002 recruiting class, which paved the way for the 2005 national championship, and featured 22 five-and four-star prospects.

Wow!

It may take a couple of years, but maybe we're finally going to see how good Texas can become with a truly elite coach in charge.

Looking forward to the ramp'd up bball coverage. Congrat's Dustin!

Well deserved move for McComas. During the mediocre run of the the hoops team past 5 seasons, McComas kept plugging away giving us good content even though there wasn't much encouraging to write about. He is a professional and always keeps it classy. Looking forward to his coverage of the next era of Longhorn Basketball.
Indeed. Mccomas is the tits.

He's not going away forever from the sport, not by a long-shot, but there's just not enough interest to warrant marginalizing him by keeping him there as much as we have.

We're still developing a full answer there.
Makes sense. Like I said I realize I am in the minority.

Also, the best thing to come from TLC is Shinyribs' cover of waterfalls.

First of congrats to Dustin and I hope the new title includes a fat raise.....but if this new basketball focus takes the king of ping off baseball, there will be a riot and I'm ready to start burning couches now. Please confirm we're not losing him from baseball?????

Good read and kudos on continuing to try to be better. As far as non-sports topics go I want to chime in that I enjoy them. While I don't always agree with your take, I respect your opinion and appreciate seeing another side to things. Also I appreciate things like the sad story you linked. Probably wouldn't have come across that myself and although a tough read, it is educational. Anyway, I enjoy the site immensely and thank you for keeping it going. The entire staff of OB's is first rate and I think each is incredibly valuable to the site.

I would suggest that the lack of interest from the majority of the subscriber base towards basketball has long played a huge part in that. We're taking a leap in hoping we can change that mentality if the program has success.
I get what you're saying, and if you want to blame reader apathy that's cool. But the bottom line is that basketball (and b-ball recruiting) coverage took a big hit when Gerry H left. I've been happy to see Dustin picking up the slack over time, and I'm even more encouraged to see him freed up to spend even more time on hoops. As you pointed out, with Shaka in town the timing couldn't be any better for OB to step up its game and become a juggernaut of Texas hoops coverage.

I read the Madison Holleran article - I have a 15 year old daughter and that scares the shit out of me. I know awareness is the intent but that is just flat out sad - a beautiful girl who left this world too soon.

I'm a little behind you, with daughters 9 and 7, but I'm in the same boat. Ketch was right... it's a haunting read.

Congrats on the 15 year mark Ketch.

As for the updates to the OB org, I understand the excitement around Smart and the obvious need to parlay that excitement with basketball coverage but I worry it'll come at a price on the baseball coverage considering the King of Ping is just one man apparently captaining two ships that sail during the same time of the year. Considering Augie's age and the state of the baseball program, I expect a hire that creates Smart level excitement for a program that's really a cornerstone of the Big 3 at Texas. I'm admittedly biased as I'm a football and baseball fan first and foremost but as I stated before, I understand the business decision to capitalize on the basketball content. I hope the wheels are turning in your head on how to do the same when the baseball excitement returns.

Reactions: Horns5
I don't see a leap of faith in basketball. You didn't hire an analyst with any significant coaching or playing experience. DM is one of the best in baseball no doubt, but bball is another matter and it doesn't feel like a real commitment has been made to the sport

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT