ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Can Quinn replace Colt at No.2?)

Everyone on the USC sideline knew who the greatest player in the world was that day and still today. They’ll tell you that and the game told you that when they knew they couldn’t give him the ball back…. as they removed the Heisman winner from the field and the ball was handed to Lyndale White. I don’t think there’s another college player that could come close to him at that period of his greatness. VY————> Everyone.
bingo

That the "current" Big 12 high, and a Colt era high. IMO Colt is way ahead of Bradford, but if we have either 0U QB I mentioned, we have the Natty last year IMO.

But again, maybe I see things differently, but QE just doesn't take advantage of the insane talent we have, and I just envision Colt or even lower levels like Sam and Ash being dropped into last year and think they clear QE. Not to mention any of the 1st round QB's this year, obviously they are good to very good, but still, QE is more Drew Lock than I think anyone likes to admit.
Way ahead of Bradford?

Reactions: Tayeri34
If so, my bigger question will be whether GigEm Gazette will move him up from tier 2 to tier 1 in their QB rankings.

Kinda GIF

Reactions: Dave C2
Astounded by your comparison of Quinn and Colt. Quinn has never had the confidence to use the whole field. If Colt is not injured, we absolutely win the national title game against Alabama. I’m willing to wager serious money that Quinn never breathes that rarified air. In our miracle comeback against Washington, did you honestly feel at any point that Quinn was going to make the winning play? I certainly did not, despite multiple opportunities.

Nobody wants to talk about last year’s Houston and TCU games, both of which were damn lucky to win.

I talk about Quinn's needed steps to take every day.

ESPN's Jeff Passan called Pittsburgh Pirates phenom Paul Skenes the best pitching prospect in a generation. Really? That feels a bit much, but he struck out seven in his MLB debut on Saturday and touched 100MPH on 17 different pitches. That kid has my attention.
Passan is just looking for some Rizz from Livvy... let's be honest

*whatever that really even means, I'm not sure*

• Haha
Reactions: Ketchum
Can we please stop with the Anthony Edwards/Michael Jordan comparisons? And this comes from someone who is a fan of Edwards. Please. Stop that mess.
Amen to this.

After praising Edwards the last two weeks, I got raked over the coals a couple days ago for suggesting he hasn't yet earned the title of 2nd best player on the planet based on a 2 week long playoff heater.

As for the MJ comparison... at age 23, Jordan averaged 37 ppg, 2.9 steals per game, and 1.5 blocks per game. Ant fans, get back to me on MJ after he puts up those numbers next season.

Reactions: Ketchum
Amen to this.

After praising Edwards the last two weeks, I got raked over the coals a couple days ago for suggesting he hasn't yet earned the title of 2nd best player on the planet based on a 2 week long playoff heater.

As for the MJ comparison... at age 23, Jordan averaged 37 ppg, 2.9 steals per game, and 1.5 blocks per game. Ant fans, get back to me on MJ after he puts up those numbers next season.
And amen to that.

Reactions: Buda Horn
That the "current" Big 12 high, and a Colt era high. IMO Colt is way ahead of Bradford, but if we have either 0U QB I mentioned, we have the Natty last year IMO.

But again, maybe I see things differently, but QE just doesn't take advantage of the insane talent we have, and I just envision Colt or even lower levels like Sam and Ash being dropped into last year and think they clear QE. Not to mention any of the 1st round QB's this year, obviously they are good to very good, but still, QE is more Drew Lock than I think anyone likes to admit.
Penix, Nix, Gabriel, all 5th-6th year guys. Quinn was year two lol. Come on man. Colt and VY weren’t even really good until year 3. Caleb Williams and Trevor Lawrence are the exceptions rather than the rule

Reactions: thismutch
Penix, Nix, Gabriel, all 5th-6th year guys. Quinn was year two lol. Come on man. Colt and VY weren’t even really good until year 3. Caleb Williams and Trevor Lawrence are the exceptions rather than the rule
Quinn was a third year guy last year.

Quinn was a third year guy last year.

Sort of, but he skipped senior year of high school and wasn’t exactly Ohio State’s top player as a true freshman.

I very much see Ewers as a guy entering his third real season. He has much more talent around him than Colt had as a junior, so if he wants to make a run at Colt this is his opportunity to do so.

I’m not holding my breath — barring a truly all-time great passing season, I think he needs to show more with his legs to take over the way Colt did. I certainly hope he does though.

Arch is another story — he’s extremely athletic, and with that, his passing, and his supporting cast, the sky’s the limit (and even that might not hold him).

Reactions: Hookem9642
Sort of, but he skipped senior year of high school and wasn’t exactly Ohio State’s top player as a true freshman.

I very much see Ewers as a guy entering his third real season. He has much more talent around him than Colt had as a junior, so if he wants to make a run at Colt this is his opportunity to do so.

I’m not holding my breath — barring a truly all-time great passing season, I think he needs to show more with his legs to take over the way Colt did. I certainly hope he does though.

Arch is another story — he’s extremely athletic, and with that, his passing, and his supporting cast, the sky’s the limit (and even that might not hold him).
You can't call Nix and Penix 5th and 6th year guys and include all of their years, including injured years, and not count Ewers redshirt season.

Penix hadn't played more than 7 games in any of his first 4 seasons.

This Ewers 4th season and it was in his 4th season that McCoy exploded.

You can't call Nix and Penix 5th and 6th year guys and include all of their years, including injured years, and not count Ewers redshirt season.

I’m not calling Penix and Nix anything in particular. I’m only saying that skipping your senior year of high school in order to be a distant afterthought doesn’t count for very much in my book.

Ewers is just now entering the point in his career where he needs to show what he can be. It could be more of the same from him (good to very good), or it could be spectacular. I’m expecting the former (which again is quite successful) but hoping for the later.

Time will tell.

Reactions: Hookem9642

You can definitely compare the physical developmental differences between a 20 year old vs a 23 year old…

I’m not calling Penix and Nix anything in particular. I’m only saying that skipping your senior year of high school in order to be a distant afterthought doesn’t count for very much in my book.

Ewers is just now entering the point in his career where he needs to show what he can be. It could be more of the same from him (good to very good), or it could be spectacular. I’m expecting the former (which again is quite successful) but hoping for the later.

Time will tell.
This. All of this!

Reactions: 60
Thats fair, but doesn't make QE great or very good. I hope he takes off this year, but he'll have to do it rather than it just happening.

Reactions: ARD438

People are speaking of Quinn like he is a finished product. He's had two years of starting Quarterback play. When you compare Quinn to his peers he is way ahead of Klubnik, Weigmann, and any other top QB in his class.

Compare Colts first two seasons to Quinn first two seasons.
2006 Colt 2570 yards 29 TD 7 Int Rating 161.8
2007 Colt 3303 yards 22 TD 18 Int Rating 139.2

2022 Quinn 2177 yards 15 TD 6 Int Rating 132.6
2023 Quinn 3479 yards 22 TD 6 Int Rating 158.6

Drew Lock was an early 2nd round pick ahead of Colt, Sam, and Ash, so not really the knock you meant for it to be. I bet all those Texas QBs which they went second round.

If your options are Sophomore Colt versus Sophomore Quinn I'm picking Quinn.

People are speaking of Quinn like he is a finished product. He's had two years of starting Quarterback play. When you compare Quinn to his peers he is way ahead of Klubnik, Weigmann, and any other top QB in his class.

Compare Colts first two seasons to Quinn first two seasons.
2006 Colt 2570 yards 29 TD 7 Int Rating 161.8
2007 Colt 3303 yards 22 TD 18 Int Rating 139.2

2022 Quinn 2177 yards 15 TD 6 Int Rating 132.6
2023 Quinn 3479 yards 22 TD 6 Int Rating 158.6

Drew Lock was an early 2nd round pick ahead of Colt, Sam, and Ash, so not really the knock you meant for it to be. I bet all those Texas QBs which they went second round.

If your options are Sophomore Colt versus Sophomore Quinn I'm picking Quinn.
I don't see a lot of people speaking of him like he's a finished product. People are projecting that he;'ll gert there.

Ehhh. 2 1/2 maybe. You know that’s correct as well. His decision makers did him a disservice with the early graduation/tOSU debacle
Did they though. I mean by most accounts he was able to cash in on some large NIL deals. Ended up at Texas and has been the starter since day one resurrecting a program coming of a 5-7 football season with zero players drafted. Going into Jr season Quinn is a Heisman favorite leading a top 5 team. Where is the disservice. Looks like he is right on schedule maybe ahead schedule and potential top 5 NFL draft pick.

Quinn has been in some interesting QB rooms.
Ohio State had CJ Stroud
Texas Hudson Card
Texas Maalik Murphy Arch Manning
Texas Arch Manning Trey Owens

Did they though. I mean by most accounts he was able to cash in on some large NIL deals. Ended up at Texas and has been the starter since day one resurrecting a program coming of a 5-7 football season with zero players drafted. Going into Jr season Quinn is a Heisman favorite leading a top 5 team. Where is the disservice. Looks like he is right on schedule maybe ahead schedule and potential top 5 NFL draft pick.
He's wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT