ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (No clutching your pearls, Nick)

Betting against Jimmy Buckets hasn't been a great strategy this post-season.

Not really, I skipped that section. 🤣
Season 4 Episode 13 GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: Guy Smiley
Stop betting my annual subscription like it ain't worth nothing!

Here’s the other dirty little secret that is being alleged at Bama. Bigger than bag man allegations. People in college football have told me Alabama has some players use their NIL deals to pay for tuition to help their scholarship numbers. Instead of only paying 85 scholarships, the NIL deals allows them to have more players off the books - allegedly.
You go!

$100 bet is on. The loser (you) pays up no later than June 30. Don't forget to check transfer portal players. Oh, and feel free to write about it this week ;)

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Season/2023-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/

Keep in mind that they only need to be on scholarship in August. They don't have to be at the 85-man number at the moment.

Just like Texas is over the 85-man limit as things stand.

And the implication has to be that they are getting around the 85-man number by having kids pay their scholarship through NIL.

FYI, this a funky scholarship board. They are double counting recruits as active players.

(see below)

1686001462021.png

Holstein, Haynes and Young are all double counted, once as active and again as recruits.

Without doing anything more than glancing at the numbers, they are sitting at 91 players and need to squeeze that down to 85 before August.

Texas is at 88 and needs to get down to 85 by August.

Both schools basically have 8 weeks to get their numbers in order, whether guys transfer, get out on medical, greyshirted.... or illegally put on as walk-ons.

Note: the scholarship board linked is also outdated.

For instance, it has Damien George listed but he transferred to Florida.

So, this will take some work because the scholarship board isn't totally. accurate.

FYI, this a funky scholarship board. They are double counting recruits as active players.

(see below)

View attachment 4384

Holstein, Haynes and Young are all double counted, once as active and again as recruits.

Without doing anything more than glancing at the numbers, they are sitting at 91 players and need to squeeze that down to 85 before August.

Texas is at 88 and needs to get down to 85 by August.

Both schools basically have 8 weeks to get their numbers in order, whether guys transfer, get out on medical, greyshirted.... or illegally put on as walk-ons.
I look forward to you doing your own research. You said it shouldn't take more than an hour. Let me know what you uncover. $100 steak dinner is riding on your results ;)

I've got Alabama with 89 players on scholarship at the moment (minus transfer departures and with transfer additions) .

Texas is sitting at 88.

There are no signs that any former scholarship players have been stashed away in some unseemly fashion.

Both have 8 weeks to get to 85.

I'm going to use this as a deeper content piece doing a side by side comparison of the two programs.

But, this is the data. I will double and triple check it in an effort to make sure the numbers are consistent, but there's zero proof that what you suggested through sources is taking place... yet.

Took less than an hour.

You can use this tool to help look everything up.

The scholarship board has 4 of 5 incoming transfers listed, but does not have UAB transfer Jaylen Key listed.

It has three players listed on the scholarship board that are no longer in the program: OL George, OL Bowels and LB Kennedy.

Saban is like a bootlegger who built an empire during prohibition, but who might struggle as a liquor distributor after booze went legal again.

Hany is going to win MVP again this year. I’m calling my shot. I’m so lucky to get to watch this dude almost every home game.

I've got Alabama with 89 players on scholarship at the moment (minus transfer departures and with transfer additions) .

Texas is sitting at 88.

There are no signs that any former scholarship players have been stashed away in some unseemly fashion.

Both have 8 weeks to get to 85.

I'm going to use this as a deeper content piece doing a side by side comparison of the two programs.

But, this is the data. I will double and triple check it in an effort to make sure the numbers are consistent, but there's zero proof that what you suggested through sources is taking place... yet.

Took less than an hour.

You can use this tool to help look everything up.

The scholarship board has 4 of 5 incoming transfers listed, but does not have UAB transfer Jaylen Key listed.

It has three players listed on the scholarship board that are no longer in the program: OL George, OL Bowels and LB Kennedy.
Dead Silence GIF by Studios 2016

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT