ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (OU just doesn't matter as much any more...)

Gideon...
Burning Set On Fire GIF by US National Archives

Ketch, I think the OU game will still have immense importance. Winning that game will be a spring board for the rest of the season. Losing it puts you behind the 8ball.

I somewhat feel this game is going back to what it was before the BCS era...pre-2000.

Historically, OU is/was a big-time program that was always on our schedule.

Winning it puts us squarly in the Top 5 in rankings early in the season (certainly Top 10). We're able to hold that spot, it gives us a favorable position in the Play Offs. (assuming we're undefeated after the game, obviously).

Historically, the winner was in the driver's seat for the conference and big-time Bowl consideration and possible Natty consideration.

The situation is no different than what life was like "back in the day". That is part of the glory of that game: The contest is settled early in the season, as it always has been.

I think it is still the spring board it always has been. Win and we're in the driver's seat. Lose and we're behind the 8-ball.

(This is assuming OU gets things turned around, which I think they will)

edit: Will it have less importance? Possibly, but not by much.

Reactions: 7 Day Free Pass
I guess I am viewing that as hand in hand . If we lose to OU, we will most likely suffer another 2 losses , and be a borderline team for a playoffs at that point

If we aren’t ready for the OU game this year , it’ll be a problem mentally for most of the fan base. We would not clearly be above OU as a program - if sark has a 1-3 record against them

But I do agree with your premise the playoffs are what matter the most

That's at the forefront of my saying the rivalry will mean slightly less moving forward.

And I gave a perfectly plausible scenario that would make OU still highly important. Not winning when it matters, losing to your rival, and your rival having wins when it matters will all still be on the table with OU. If everything I stated above happens, Sark will be on the hot seat.

We get it, mathematically speaking every regular season game has less weight, but that doesn't change the fact OU regular season will still hold the most weight of those games. Aggy may take it this year, but this year isn't a normal year as we haven't played them in a generation almost.
I'm not saying that OU isn't still highly important.

I'm saying the new world that both schools live in make it less important.

Your take on the OU game is spot on. My first 25 or so OU games were during the pre-Big 12 era. In those days, OU week and the game were fun and intense diversions before getting into the heart of conference play, but A&M was always equally big (maybe bigger). For a time, so were UH and even SMU for a few years. OU will always be fun simply because of its neutral site setting, but the outsized significance it has had for the past 25+ years will probably diminish for all the reasons you said.
Thanks Thank You GIF by BLKBOK

Ketch, I think the OU game will still have immense importance. Winning that game will be a spring board for the rest of the season. Losing it puts you behind the 8ball.

I somewhat feel this game is going back to what it was before the BCS era...pre-2000.

Historically, OU is/was a big-time program that was always on our schedule.

Winning it puts us squarly in the Top 5 in rankings early in the season (certainly Top 10). We're able to hold that spot, it gives us a favorable position in the Play Offs. (assuming we're undefeated after the game, obviously).

Historically, the winner was in the driver's seat for the conference and big-time Bowl consideration and possible Natty consideration.

The situation is no different than what life was like "back in the day". That is part of the glory of that game: The contest is settled early in the season, as it always has been.

I think it is still the spring board it always has been. Win and we're in the driver's seat. Lose and we're behind the 8-ball.

(This is assuming OU gets things turned around, which I think they will)

edit: Will it have less importance? Possibly, but not by much.
"I somewhat feel this game is going back to what it was before the BCS era...pre-2000."

I agree. That would make it less important.

Reactions: ndennis25
Getting a pass for one year (losing to OU) is different than getting a perpetual pass. If they’re not good (and we lose to them regularly) then fans will be rightfully mad.

Reactions: Seftees
No worries. I don't think he has a catalog that has a bunch of songs that HAVE to be on the list.
I think what he does with Keisha’s song by adding to her story with her sister’s on a totally different album in Sing About Me puts those two high on my list. Maybe even together in one spot.

Loyalty and Wesley’s Theory (not on either list) would be definite spots for me as well. But I agree, I don’t love his most popular pieces so a top ten is left to be individually interpreted.

Reactions: Ketchum
If the Longhorns make the playoffs, it won't matter.
I hear what you are saying Ketch and it's very logical and I might even agree with you that the rivalry is slightly diminished, just as the entire regular season is now slightly diminished in importance.

Also, your argument, which is sound, does not take one factor into consideration regarding TX v OU, the game is now and SEC game. The game will be hyped on a national level by the SEC to a level rarely seen in the rivalry.

NO way will the SEC let this game diminish in prestige.

And to say losing to OU "won't matter" as long as we make the playoffs is over cooking the grits.

Reactions: boernefan
Getting a pass for one year (losing to OU) is different than getting a perpetual pass. If they’re not good (and we lose to them regularly) then fans will be rightfully mad.
And yet they will still matter less than previously.

I hear what you are saying Ketch and it's very logical and I might even agree with you that the rivalry is slightly diminished, just as the entire regular season is now slightly diminished in importance.

Also, your argument, which is sound, does not take one factor into consideration regarding TX v OU, the game is now and SEC game. The game will be hyped on a national level by the SEC to a level rarely seen in the rivalry.

NO way will the SEC let this game diminish in prestige.

And to say losing to OU "won't matter" as long as we make the playoffs is over cooking the grits.

Did the OU game matter much in the overall scope of last season?

If Sark makes the playoff for the 2nd year in a row and is 1-3 against OU, there's no massive hole to dig out of.

By definition, that makes what I'm saying true.
You are misreading the fanbase. Simply making the playoff, if coupled with losing three out of four against ou, is not a recipe for ongoing success. You have all people should know that.

5. Money Trees

One of three songs from Good Kid, M.A.A.D City that make my top 5, which says a lot about the album and how much I gravitated to it when it came out.

1. Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe

There's not a rap song from the last 15 years that I have listened to more when I'm chilling on a weekend and don't want to be bothered. It's my jam.
2 of my favorites and both on the M.A.A.D City album - love the ranking

• Love
Reactions: Ketchum
Great to have this column back. You nailed it. The build towards the aggy game will hit everyone once it's on the horizon. The chatter all season in the media will be about Texas and aggy renewing, so by the time that game comes around the feels will be in full effect. Also, there's a world where Elko gets his team to a respectable season with a soft schedule that could change the narrative around that game and the road ahead. Texas has to make sure aggy doesn't have any hope of changing the narrative, which I don't feel is the case with OU currently.

Not sure how you can just proclaim that. OU has been a better program than Aggy and it isn’t close.

If the team thinks like you do we will continue to see games like last year when OU was loaded for bear and sark told the team to have fun
Somewhat of an unfair shot at Sark here. Texas was fairly well prepared for last year's game, but OU got embarrassed the previous year and there was no way they were not gonna have the motivational edge. Not sure there was much that could be done about that, other than try to minimize mistakes early and outplay them as the game settles in. The minimizing mistakes part did not happen, yet they still almost won the game. In 2012, the Gooners beat us 63-21 in the Red River game. In 2013, our Alamo Bowl bound team beat OU by more than 2 TD's. OU was 11-2 and beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl that year. The better team does not always win in this rilvalry, especially after the underdog was blown out the previous year.

I cannot understand how people are sincerely arguing in this thread that a win or loss against OU is in the same stratosphere of importance as making the playoff and winning playoff games. If Texas goes 0-5 in the next 5 years against OU and makes the playoff in each of those 5 years, it would not matter one iota to Sark's job security.

I understand your point re OU but if the team takes the approach that it’s just another game on the schedule we might never beat them again. It will continue to be a holy war for them.

Reactions: boernefan
Its the most exciting time to be a Texas Longhorn fan

when your # 2 concern for the team ( and its potential weaknesses) is the punter

id say its the most exciting time to be a Texas Longhorn fan

God forbid, I make one typo/mistake. Gotta have 9 people make the same comment, while commenting on nothing else.

Thanks.
Yeah ok typo plus saying Boston would run over Indiana
maybe just leave nba thoughts out next time

• Haha
Reactions: Horn19
I have attended almost all of the Texas/ousux games since 1966, winning against ou and aggy will always matter to Horn fans. Screw arky. Just my opinion.

Reactions: 7 Day Free Pass
I cannot understand how people are sincerely arguing in this thread that a win or loss against OU is in the same stratosphere of importance as making the playoff and winning playoff games. If Texas goes 0-5 in the next 5 years against OU and makes the playoff in each of those 5 years, it would not matter one iota to Sark's job security.
Depends on how he does in said playoffs. He gets beat first round by lower rated seeds over and over and that seat will get hot. This fan base isn't going to live with the being bridesmaid over and over again. Your success as your a head coach becomes your own chopping block. See Rick Barnes for a prime example. He took a sport Texas fans care much less about to its pinnacle and eventually just making the tourney or R32 wasn't enough. Mack was in the same boat. Pretend there was a 12 team playoff in the early 2000's. He would have made it but if he was losing early, losing to OU regularly, and OU had some success in the playoff, the fan base would have been calling for his head.

The whole discussion is almost a useless one and not worthy of a huge write up. We get it, all games will be less important now that 12 teams get a chance to fight for it all. That really isn't newsworthy. It's simple mathematics. I don't think anyone is arguing that the single OU game is more important than being successful in January, but that was the same all the years before a 12 team playoff. It will be more important than other regular season game on the schedule just like it has been for quite some time. Granted I'll give that to aggy next year but only due to the big gap since the last time we've played them.

I get that it's the off season and that articles are written just because there isn't anything else to write. However the RRR or whatever it's called is always the game I circle on my calendar. In all my years of following football and traveling to away games and home games, there isn't anything like it in all of college football. Even if one team goes undefeated and the other loses all their games this game means a lot and always will regardless of which side of the red river you live on. There will no doubt be many exciting games in the the SEC that will have national implications for us but in my opinion none will match the excitement, the atmosphere or the meaning to the RRR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT