ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The chance was there for the taking)

LOL that people can’t accept that celebrating 8-4 is celebrating mediocrity.

Potatoes can’t be objective and admit Sark has not accomplished what he needs to with the most important piece of the on-field puzzle.

Going into an off-season with a QB competition the coach himself admits to after a full season of our perfectly rated QB under what is supposed to be a premier QB coach is a fail. The fact that his #1 receiver, one of the best in school history is rumored to leave for better QB play is a fail.

Sark has a lot of work to do and will get the time to do it. The question is, what is “success” next year? If we are celebrating 8-4 again, he needs the playoffs in year 5 to keep his job, if he survives another 8-4.
What success is next season is a very good question. You're either moving forward or losing ground.

Reactions: hookem62
It's all about perspective. Anwar is positive. Ketch is negative. That's not a complement or an insult. It's just the way they perceive and project. Nobody is ever justified because nobody is always right. Seeing most of the mods last summer saying that 8-4 would be the expectation for growth and success, I'm sticking with that. We grew and the season was a success. But some people just can't be happy. Se La vi.
what did I write that was negative?

I think of myself as a realist.

Totally agree with your takes on Quinn - I don't know why the rest of the fanbase is going bezerk, the dude did not have that great a season and is a liability at this point. He is a freshman and could turn it around - but he is no clear "6 star player" that is a slam dunk success. Honestly if someone is a certified badass, you see it show up even as a freshman - see VY, Caleb Williams, Johnny Manziel etc so I think the excuses people make for him aren't valid

Also agree on the take about this season being a success or not. People going bezerk when I'm not sold on Sark yet - why would anyone be , when we can't view this season as a success?!
It's a good solid year. Nothing more, nothing less.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
FIFY and 100% agree. The only movie I have seen in the theater more than twice, and I saw it 5 times. To me, it is easily the most entertaining Spielberg film of all time, because it is the most entertaining film of all time by anyone.

I'm not sure that Sark's comments on the QB situation going into next year mean anything other than he doesn't want to lose Card and Murphy in the portal. Sark seems pretty well married to Ewers until 2024 at least.
Fair point for sure.

It was odd to see you call out Ewers after the Baylor game, but fail to mention how poorly the OL pass blocking was. Given that the OL’s protection was a season’s worst - by a massive margin (Ewers was sacked five times, and I believe four came in the first half) - your criticism seemed especially harsh and oblivious to this important fact.

Maybe it would've been more accurate if you instead said that after the 5th sack that caused a fumble-TD, Sark took the ball out of Ewers hands AND away from an unreliable pass protection. Both could've player better, and both affected parts of the Baylor game.
Honestly, whatever one needs to help them self sleep at night is fine with me.

What happened in the Baylor game didn't happen in vacuum. It happened one week after Sark put Ewers on training wheels... 5 days after he failed to give him a strong vote of confidence.

@Ketchum don't you feel that Sark took over a program that had such a defunct atmosphere that it didn’t matter who came in, that 8-4 is a success?
Rebuilding a culture isn’t easy, Herman ruined the program in those terms. Players were telling recruits to run.
This team is better than any team Herman or Strong had.
Sark came in after a pretty uncontrollable year from a social standpoint.

That team with all of its poison won a higher percentage of games than this one.,

I think y’all are under-ranking Schindler’s List. It’s his only movie to win best picture and best director. Most can’t comprehend how difficult it was for a Jew to have to relive and film a movie about the horrors of the Holocaust.
There was a great interview with his wife Kate Capshaw years ago about him coming back to their hotel room late, which isn’t his custom even during filming and having to hear him break down over a particularly vivid and gruesome scene- I think it was the one where Liam Neeson and his girlfriend were horseback riding above the scene where the Nazi troops were on a rampage against the Jewish population…

It’s splitting hairs when it comes to ranking his top movies but IMO he’s always been America’s top filmmaker in my generation rivaled only by George Lucas

Some of my fellow olds may even remember what I believe was his first production- “Duel” that was on an ABC movie of the week- with Dennis Weaver playing a salesman being chased by an angry Truck driver for reasons that were never clear but which made it equally scary.

I have been reading comments regarding T'V Sweat returning to Texas, rather than turning pro. My previous thoughts were that Sweat would be a more attractive NFL prospect than Moro Ojomo would. Therefore, my hope was that Ojomo would return for an additional season.
Seeing your list of the upcoming Senior class that includes Sweat makes me feel much better about the interior of the Texas Defensive Line for next season. I still would like to see Ojomo return for an additional season.
I had hoped that Vernon Broughton would eventually become a difference maker at Texas, but I am currently not sure that will actually happen. If Sweat returns, Texas will at least have a rotation of Sweat and Alfred Collins, then Byron Murphy and either Broughton or Jaray Bledsoe.
"Hook Em"
I expect the interior of the DL to be as good as anywhere in the Big 12 next year.

All good except…..if you’re starting to beat down the defense by running straight at them gaining 5-10+ yds per carry, you keep running the ball no matter what your QB has done that game or what his name is. It’s not a matter of “taking the ball out of QE’s hands” - it’s Play Calling 101 - give the rock to #5 & #2 until they stop it……which they could not.
22 plays in a row from the same guy that Sark had throw it 49 times in Stillwater.

Dude, really great column. A few things.

No, we don’t need to be saying success right now. There were a few areas of successful improvement as you mentioned, but four losses is never a success, maybe a decent improvement but certainly not satisfying or successful. Not making the conference championship this year in a very average big 12 is all you need to know. And it can’t be a success if we have four losses and no sure fire QB. Period.

I still can’t believe Joe Burrow had that video game season after the film he laid down to that point. I didn’t hear anyone shouting he was an untapped gold mine either. Still one of the more shocking light switch flips I’ve ever seen. Not a bad idea for a column. Biggest light switch flips of all time, for the longhorns or nationally. If Ewers can flip the switch even half that far next year, we are in business.

The Heisman trophy just follows Lincoln Riley around. He’s Heisman Jesus. F*ck.

STATS CMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/G TD INT RATE
Regular Season 330 500 66.0 4354 362.8 29 7 155.5

Penix Jr. Should be at the Heisman trophy
Presentation and IMO probably should win it. He completely changed UW season went from 4-8 to 10-2 and a top 10 team. I agree Williams also changed USC but is surrounded with way more talent. What’s your thought @Ketchum
He's a bad ass.

no. That is totally a loaded statement.

Who were the best two offensive weapons on Saturday? BR and RJ. He put the game in their hands and it worked.
and he took it out of the hands of the guy that had otherwise kept the game close. we agree.

Reactions: suzerain79
I disagree. In nearly 2 decades this is the most extremist I have seen this board, probably because it reflects the extremism that exists in almost wvery fabric of our society today.

Also, back when we had the posted board code of conduct rules, I am pretty sure one of them was that personal attacks towards players would not be allowed. It still happened in the past (hello Cedric Griffin in the 2003 RRS) but it was a lot more infrequent and better policed. Now there are dozens of posts every day dragging Texas players through the mud. Personally I don't think that should be ok, but I also know it doesn't really matter what I think.
I thought you were going to debate me again this week about how Ewers' situational awareness wasn't an issue.

Reactions: tyhorn
Shaka hitched his wagon to Matt Coleman as his point guard to lead the program, but he was never better than the 5th best PG in the conf thru 4 years, good but not elite.

Sark is hitched to Quinn…..
I don't think he's quite that hitched. There is another.

Reactions: dkrtms and Hhg53
I think y’all are under-ranking Schindler’s List. It’s his only movie to win best picture and best director. Most can’t comprehend how difficult it was for a Jew to have to relive and film a movie about the horrors of the Holocaust.
It's an all-time great movie. The entire top 5 is.

On point young man. Nicely done.

Agree with the season, Sark and Ewers review. I'm lost as well re: the outrage. It's not like you started a thread calling him trash.

In the end if sark traded a loss for long term development of ewers and that leads to resolve and maturity then I'm good with it. There is much to work on.
So, to appease (develop) one player, the remaining twenty-one had to suffer one or two lost games?

I'm not sure that Sark's comments on the QB situation going into next year mean anything other than he doesn't want to lose Card and Murphy in the portal. Sark seems pretty well married to Ewers until 2024 at least.
He literally didn't praise Ewers at all other than to say he had made some strides.

That was after he put him on training wheels in Lawrence. The kid has a ton of upside, but let's not ignore the reality of what happened because it hurts our feel goods.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT