ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The chance was there for the taking)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

I can't go as far as my guy @Anwar Richardson did this morning in declaring the 2022 season for Steve Sarkisian and the Longhorns a "success."

I just can't do it.

Oh, I'm not sure that I'm light years away from taking such a step and if the Longhorns complete the season with an impressive bowl win to finish the season 9-4 and inside the top 15, I'm sure I'll be willing to revisit this entire conversation and consider changing my mind based on some nuance related to where things are now versus where they were a year ago.

Yet, at this exact moment, it's hard to see past the fact that the Longhorns finished third in the Big 12 in a year when the league was absolutely dreadful at the quarterback position. The league's No. 2 spot (at a minimum) was there for the taking and the Longhorns failed to take it.

My general rule of thumb for Texas football is that any season that doesn't end with the Longhorns AT LEAST playing for the Big 12 Championship and qualifying for a major bowl game isn't a success.

Period.

No one ever voted for me to be the decider of such things, but this has been the bar of excellence that has existed since I was a student at The University of Texas and a decade-plus of failing to be successful just isn't going to force me into lowering the bar.

Consider the state of the rest of the conference, which featured eight teams with three or more losses in conference play, including the Longhorns. Oklahoma was historically dreadful. Mike Gundy's team finished below .500. Defending champion Baylor finished tied for fifth, also below .500.

Meanwhile, the quarterback play was ... well ... pictures are worth thousands of words, right?

Look at this mess.

1669588862790.png

Exactly two quarterbacks in the entire conference finished in the top 58 nationally in passing and the Longhorns had to play only one of them.

You simply can't ask for a clearer pathway to a conference title if you've got a good enough team that wants to be viewed as a "success."

Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of positives from this season. The defense became exactly the kind of outfit that should have allowed for this team to play for a conference title. The offensive line might have been as good as it’s been since Arch Manning was two years old. Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson were the best 1-2 punch since Brennan Huff and Dale Doback created the best NSFW song of the 21st century.

It's just that the only time in my lifetime when 8-4 is viewed as a success is when the previous season's play was so poor that 8-4 looks like a 1999 New Year's Eve celebration by comparison, which is what is occurring at the moment.

This 8-4 season isn't a success when comparing it to Tom Herman's record. It's not a success when comparing it to the prime Mack Brown years. It's not even a success when comparing it to John Mackovic's "successful" teams. Yet, if we're comparing it to Charlie Strong or last season's debut season for Sarkisiain, it looks like one by comparison.

Through 12 games, it's been solid. It certainly isn't a bad season. Hell, it's right on the cusp of being a success, mainly because the Big 12 was so lousy that a three-loss team would have qualified for the title game if Kansas State had stubbed its toe one more time (where was Tulane when it was really needed?).

Perhaps the best news of all is that a win in the bowl game would leave this team standing on a possible platform in 2023 to accomplish the things needed to undeniably call a season a success. The Longhorns are getting closer, but I can't quite say they are there yet.

No. 2 - Let's talk about Quinn ...

Forget about Friday's game against Baylor for a moment. In the grand scheme of things, it's merely a small piece of the puzzle that makes up his first season in Austin.

What matters most through the recently completed 12-game schedule is that Ewers didn't quite play well enough this season that he'll enter the spring with the starting job on lockdown, which I've maintained for two straight seasons that doing so was one of Sarkisian's No. 1 tasks.

Don't take my word for it. Just look at what Sarkisian said about the shape of the most important position on the field six days ago.

“I think competition is healthy for all of us. To anoint anybody for the future, that probably wouldn't be fair to the other guys in that room. Quinn's made some really good strides. I know there's opportunities he probably would love to have back throughout the year. I think Hudson (Card) has really improved. I thought he was really valuable for us early in the season when we needed him. I think Maalik Murphy is another guy who's got a bunch of upside. I have seen development in him. Like every year, we'll go into the offseason and wipe the slate clean and let these guys compete and battle and see what it looks like because that's what makes us better."

You can take it to the bank that this isn't how Lincoln Riley will discuss a position held by Caleb Williams or how Mack Brown will discuss the return Drake Maye going into 2023.

From my vantage point, there are several very important things it would serve everyone well to remember going into the next 10 months until the 2023 season-opener.

1. There's a really talented quarterback inside of Ewers, even if that player wasn't ready to spread his wings and fly in his first season. The arm talent that made him the No. 1 overall prospect in recruiting still exists.

2. It can't be stressed enough that Ewers is a very young quarterback. When many were ready to see him emerge as a Heisman candidate after the Oklahoma game, I stressed over and over again that young players almost always have ups and downs that you can't set your watch to. No one should be shocked that Ewers played like a pretty typical first-year starter.

3. Even though Ewers finished with a 131.4 efficiency rating in the regular season, he still picked up some invaluable experience. He's played and beaten Oklahoma. He's lost and won on the road. He's played and experienced games with high stakes attached to them. None of this is unimportant and when looking ahead to the competition he'll face for the starting job in 2023, he'll be the only player in the equation that can claim that he's been through all of the various fires the starting quarterback will face.

4. Ewers has to improve at the mental challenges of the position. He has to elevate his ability to make more than a single read in his progressions. He has to own the full offense in a way that he didn't in 2022. His brain simply has to become as valuable as his arm at this level.

Although Ewers ended up winning the quarterback battle in August, there were more than a few whispers about his commitment to the playbook and the mental side of the game.

Point-plank ... this side of his game has to improve or he's going to have a hard time holding on to the job.

Yet, if he's able to make the commitment to the position that will be expected of him, there's no reason to doubt that his performance levels in 2023 can be much higher than they were in 2022.

No. 3 - Re-visiting my thought on Ewers from Friday ...

For the life of me, I'm a bit bewildered at the response to the part of my post-game review of the game that focused on Ewers.

Over the last few weeks, I've been about as loud of a vocal supporter for Ewers than just about anyone else in the industry.

* When people cried to the rafters that he should have been benched in Stillwater, I maintained that it was the kind of test he needed to experience and that I wouldn't have pulled him.

* When people said the performance in Stillwater was the worst in recent memory, I dedicated a huge portion of this column pointing out that it was far from the worst quarterback performance any of you have seen.

* When the Longhorns won in Manhattan, I stressed that he had played turnover-free football and gave his team a chance to win a critical road game.

* I've constantly stressed over and over again that Ewers is a young quarterback and experiencing things that most young quarterbacks deal with.

Therefore, I was more than a little surprised to somehow be positioned as some kind of anti-Ewers, click-bait fire-breather because of comments made in my Instant Analysis column.

So, what did I actually say that warranted such heat? Let's inspect it all, paragraph by paragraph.

"It's just that Quinn Ewers played at a level that basically required Sarkisian to take the ball completely out of his hands in the two drives that decided this game following his fumble that allowed the Bears to take a fourth-quarter lead."

With the Longhorns leading by 5 with 13:30 left in the fourth quarter, Ewers lost a fumble that was returned 16 yards for a touchdown that eventually gave Baylor a 27-24 lead. It was the 10th point of the game that Ewers had contributed to the Baylor cause. In the final 8+ minutes of the game, the Longhorns ran 22 straight plays on offense that asked Ewers to do nothing more than hand the ball off.

That feels like less of a piece of speculative commentary and more of a read of what actually happened.

The stats will show that Ewers was pretty good, as he finished with a 176.9 efficiency rating. Yet, sometimes stats can't tell a complete story. On a day when Ewers handed the Bears 10 points on a safety/fumble combo, while also leaving four points off the scoreboard on a high throw in the red zone to Ja'Tavion Sanders, Ewers' feel for the game and what's happening around him left a lot to be desired.

The stats will show that when Ewers threw the football, he had a really nice game from a statistical standpoint. On several throws, Ewers flashed the kind of arm talent that makes the mouth water. Yes, he did give away a safety when he threw the ball into an area where there were no receivers while he was in the end zone. He did hold onto the ball too long and committed the only sin he simply couldn't by fumbling the ball, which allowed Baylor to totally flip the script of the game in the fourth quarter. His situational awareness did leave a lot to be desired.

"A lot."

Yeah, a lot.

"I mean ... Sark just stopped letting him do anything other than hand off and that decision probably won the game."

That's literally what happened.

"The scene was a giant reminder of how far this team still has to go at the quarterback position. When Sark said that the team would go into the spring with an open competition, he better mean it because it's much needed."

Again, where is the hyperbole and rhetoric that caused the outrage that occurred? The Texas quarterback position needs to play better, can't give the other team points through sloppy situational awareness and will be open for competition in a few months.

I just don't get the outrage.

No. 4 - Next year's Senior Class ...

Assuming that Bijan Robinson turns pro and the likes of Jordan Whittington, Junior Angilau and Devin Richardson have played their final snaps as Texas football players as Friday seemed to suggest ...

We're going to be looking at the smallest senior class I've ever seen.

The list?

RB Keilan Robinson
WR Isaiah Neyor
DT T'Vondre Sweat
DE Alfred Collins
LB Jaylan Ford
LB David Gbenda
CB Jahdae Barron
S Jerrin Thompson
S Kitan Crawford

That's nine before any further attrition or before the Portal potentially adds a few to it. A lot of leadership is departing and will need to be replaced.

No. 5 - Scattershooting on the Longhorns ...

... Bijan Robinson is 106 yards short heading into the bowl game of a 2,000-yard all-purpose season. Something to aim for!

... Xavier Worthy finished the regular season with nine touchdown receptions, which is two more than second-place in the Big 12 from Bryce Wheaton-Ford (West Virginia).

... No player in the Big 12 hit double digits in sacks this season, which is kind of wild. Barryn Sorrell finished sixth in the conference with 5.5. The next highest for Texas was DeMarvion Overshown, who placed tied for 18th with 5.

... Jahdae Barron held off late charges by Overshown and Jaylan Ford to finish as the team leader in tackle for loss with 11. That says a lot about how all over the field he's been all season.

No. 6 - A Portal profile to keep an eye on ...

On one hand, Kentucky wide receiver Barion Brown was saying all of the right things to the public following Kentucky's win over Louisville.

On the other hand, Brown's name has been making the rounds behind the scenes as a player that could absolutely end up in the Portal and I would suggest is a player to keep an eye on after catching 45 passes for 604 yards and four touchdowns.

That includes a monster 10 catches for 145 yards and a touchdown against Georgia two weeks ago.

The Portal is about to be bubbling over with talent and this is exactly the kind of player that would improve the Longhorns.

getit-wink.gif

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

B/S Texas is able to keep this staff together for another season?

(Buy) Yeah, I think Sark will most likely run it back with the same group of coaches.

Sark will bring in a QB through the Portal?

(Sell) I just don't see Sark going out for anyone that will get in the way of his young talent.

(B/S) Texas’s starting 3 WRs in a 3 WR look for next year are Neyor/transfer/transfer.

(Sell) I'm not 100-percent certain that we should count on Neyor being an automatic starter coming off of a major injury. That being said, it's possible we'll see a couple of starters in the top 4, along with Johntay Cook, when it's all said and done.

B/S Worthy transfers

(Buy) Don't shoot the messenger, but I am expecting it at this point.

Bijan opts out of the bowl

(Sell) Maybe I'm naive, but that doesn't sound like Bijan.

B/S Weigman is a better QB than Ewers.

(Sell) From a statistical standpoint, it's basically a wash going into next season.

B/S: you would gladly exchange Bijan and worthy for a 15 point overall QBR rating increase?

(Sell) Hell no. 15 points?

B/S: The overwhelmingly negative attitude of the board is surprising given the team has a chance at 9-4 & the majority of the team is underclassmen?

(Sell) I don't think 8-4 does a whole lot for a majority of the board that watched Tom Herman put up similar seasons. I'm not sure that I would say that the board is overwhelmingly negative, but I would say it is overwhelmingly unsatisfied. Frankly, they have a right to be.

B/S Ewers is just going through normal growing pains, and maturing as a leader, as opposed to being overrated by all of the scouting services all of these years

(Sell) It's possible that both things are true and not mutually exclusive. Caleb Williams showed us last year what a 5-star quarterback talent truly looks like and I'm having a hard time putting Ewers in the same sentence with him at the moment, even if some of these growing pains are to be expected.

Buy or sell: Texas takes 10 transfers in the portal this year

(Sell) Possibly, but I'm going to go with one or two fewer. Let's call it 8.

B/S NIL is a major weapon for Texas this offseason.

(Buy) I expect transfers in the Portal to be very turned on by the Texas NIL situation.

B/S-WR recruiting will take a hit as they discover that TX’s 3rd leadings WR only has 4 receptions.

(Sell) Receivers love Sark's offense, his history of producing star players and the fact that Arch Manning lingers in the distance.

The second half performance in the UT - Baylor game is one of the bigger stories that’s not talked about.

B/S - Sark has finally overcome the second-half struggles and we shouldn't worry about it anymore.

(Sell) I wouldn't just completely forget about it at all, but it was a step in the right direction.

B/S: Getting Ant Hill in this class would be more valuable by itself than any combination of the other 2023 recruits/flip candidates on the board.

(Buy) He's that important.

B/S Quinn Ewers will respond in 2023 with a Joe Burrow type bounce back season

(Sell) Joe Burrow had arguably the best season of any quarterback in NCAA history. Let's walk before we sprint like Ben Johnson on steroids.

Buy or Sell: The single most troubling aspect of Sark’s tenure to date has been the regression in the level of QB play?

(Buy) We're going into year three with way more questions than answers.

No. 8 - Scattershooting on anything and everything ...

... If I had a vote that mattered ...

1. Georgia
2 Michigan
3. USC
4. TCU
5. Ohio State
6. Alabama
7. Doesn't matter
8. Doesn't matter
9. Doesn't matter
10. Matters even less

... Heisman Ballot: 1. QB Caleb Williams (USC), 2. QB CJ Stroud (Ohio State), 3. RB Bijan Robinson (Texas), 4. QB Max Duggan (TCU) and 5. QB Bryce Young (Alabama)

... I couldn't be any more impressed with Michigan after they went into Columbus and shoved it in Ohio State's face. Jim Harbaugh has the team he's always dreamed of having. Do not sleep on them in the playoff.

... Caleb Williams is in a class by himself right now ... and he's back next season.

... Give Jimbo Fisher another 5 years on that contract after Saturday night.

... I know LSU fans are smarting after that ass-kicking. They were so sure of themselves on Thanksgiving Day. Level 1 confirmed.

... Much respect to TCU. I didn't think they had a 12-0 in them.

... Kansas was never going to beat the Wildcats in Manhattan. I felt bad for all of those with hope on Saturday night.

... Joey McGuire beat Texas and Oklahoma in the same season. Respect.

... Attaboy, Ja'Quinden. Glad to see the talent is still flowing strong.

... It didn't end well for David Shaw and I'm not sure if we'll ever see him coach again, but he had a hell of a run at Stanford and is the postcard picture of doing things the "right way".

... All the USMNT needs to do to advance in the World Cup is beat Iran on Tuesday. Why does that feel like a tall task?

... From a neutral perspective, I'd love to see Messi and Mbappe have a showdown late in this tournament for the ages.

... Never fear UT basketball. You're about to be the center of attention for the next few months outside of recruiting and events from the Portal.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Steven Spielberg Movies ...

I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts over the weekend (The Big Picture) and a discussion of Steven Spielberg's best movies was at the heart of a discussion centering around the release of his new movie "The Fabelmans," which is expected to compete for Best Picture at this year's Oscars.

I found myself completely disagreeing with a lot of the list that was created and thought I would take it on in this week's column.

10. Lincoln
9. Munich
8. Minority Report
7. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
6. Schindler's List
5. Raiders of the Lost Arc
4. Saving Private Ryan
4. Jurassic Park
2. E.T.
1. Jaws

No. 10 - And Finally ...

Arch Manning is done playing high school sports after his team lost this weekend in the state quarterfinals.

The five-star early enrollee turned the ball over three times, including his first two interceptions of the season. It just wasn't his night.

Now he heads to Texas.

Buckle up, it should be a sight to behold.

Attachments

• 1669589576959.png
    1669589576959.png
    181.8 KB · Views: 869

I can't go as far as my guy @Anwar Richardson did this morning in declaring the 2022 season for Steve Sarkisian and the Longhorns a "success."

I just can't do it.

Oh, I'm not sure that I'm light years away from taking such a step and if the Longhorns complete the season with an impressive bowl win to finish the season 9-4 and inside the top 15, I'm sure I'll be willing to revisit this entire conversation and consider changing my mind based on some nuance related to where things are now versus where they were a year ago.

Yet, at this exact moment, it's hard to see past the fact that the Longhorns finished third in the Big 12 in a year when the league was absolutely dreadful at the quarterback position. The league's No. 2 spot (at a minimum) was there for the taking and the Longhorns failed to take it.

My general rule of thumb for Texas football is that any season that doesn't end with the Longhorns AT LEAST playing for the Big 12 Championship and qualifying for a major bowl game isn't a success.

Period.

No one ever voted for me to be the decider of such things, but this has been the bar of excellence that has existed since I was a student at The University of Texas and a decade-plus of failing to be successful just isn't going to force me into lowering the bar.

Consider the state of the rest of the conference, which featured eight teams with three or more losses in conference play, including the Longhorns. Oklahoma was historically dreadful. Mike Gundy's team finished below .500. Defending champion Baylor finished tied for fifth, also below .500.

Meanwhile, the quarterback play was ... well ... pictures are worth thousands of words, right?

Look at this mess.

View attachment 3524

Exactly two quarterbacks in the entire conference finished in the top 58 nationally in passing and the Longhorns had to play only one of them.

You simply can't ask for a clearer pathway to a conference title if you've got a good enough team that wants to be viewed as a "success."

Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of positives from this season. The defense became exactly the kind of outfit that should have allowed for this team to play for a conference title. The offensive line might have been as good as it’s been since Arch Manning was two years old. Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson were the best 1-2 punch since Brennan Huff and Dale Doback created the best NSFW song of the 21st century.

It's just that the only time in my lifetime when 8-4 is viewed as a success is when the previous season's play was so poor that 8-4 looks like a 1999 New Year's Eve celebration by comparison, which is what is occurring at the moment.

This 8-4 season isn't a success when comparing it to Tom Herman's record. It's not a success when comparing it to the prime Mack Brown years. It's not even a success when comparing it to John Mackovic's "successful" teams. Yet, if we're comparing it to Charlie Strong or last season's debut season for Sarkisiain, it looks like one by comparison.

Through 12 games, it's been solid. It certainly isn't a bad season. Hell, it's right on the cusp of being a success, mainly because the Big 12 was so lousy that a three-loss team would have qualified for the title game if Kansas State had stubbed its toe one more time (where was Tulane when it was really needed?).

Perhaps the best news of all is that a win in the bowl game would leave this team standing on a possible platform in 2023 to accomplish the things needed to undeniably call a season a success. The Longhorns are getting closer, but I can't quite say they are there yet.

Forget about Friday's game against Baylor for a moment. In the grand scheme of things, it's merely a small piece of the puzzle that makes up his first season in Austin.

What matters most through the recently completed 12-game schedule is that Ewers didn't quite play well enough this season that he'll enter the spring with the starting job on lockdown, which I've maintained for two straight seasons that doing so was one of Sarkisian's No. 1 tasks.

Don't take my word for it. Just look at what Sarkisian said about the shape of the most important position on the field six days ago.

“I think competition is healthy for all of us. To anoint anybody for the future, that probably wouldn't be fair to the other guys in that room. Quinn's made some really good strides. I know there's opportunities he probably would love to have back throughout the year. I think Hudson (Card) has really improved. I thought he was really valuable for us early in the season when we needed him. I think Maalik Murphy is another guy who's got a bunch of upside. I have seen development in him. Like every year, we'll go into the offseason and wipe the slate clean and let these guys compete and battle and see what it looks like because that's what makes us better."

You can take it to the bank that this isn't how Lincoln Riley will discuss a position held by Caleb Williams or how Mack Brown will discuss the return Drake Maye going into 2023.

From my vantage point, there are several very important things it would serve everyone well to remember going into the next 10 months until the 2023 season-opener.

1. There's a really talented quarterback inside of Ewers, even if that player wasn't ready to spread his wings and fly in his first season. The arm talent that made him the No. 1 overall prospect in recruiting still exists.

2. It can't be stressed enough that Ewers is a very young quarterback. When many were ready to see him emerge as a Heisman candidate after the Oklahoma game, I stressed over and over again that young players almost always have ups and downs that you can't set your watch to. No one should be shocked that Ewers played like a pretty typical first-year starter.

3. Even though Ewers finished with a 131.4 efficiency rating in the regular season, he still picked up some invaluable experience. He's played and beaten Oklahoma. He's lost and won on the road. He's played and experienced games with high stakes attached to them. None of this is unimportant and when looking ahead to the competition he'll face for the starting job in 2023, he'll be the only player in the equation that can claim that he's been through all of the various fires the starting quarterback will face.

4. Ewers has to improve at the mental challenges of the position. He has to elevate his ability to make more than a single read in his progressions. He has to own the full offense in a way that he didn't in 2022. His brain simply has to become as valuable as his arm at this level.

Although Ewers ended up winning the quarterback battle in August, there were more than a few whispers about his commitment to the playbook and the mental side of the game.

Point-plank ... this side of his game has to improve or he's going to have a hard time holding on to the job.

Yet, if he's able to make the commitment to the position that will be expected of him, there's no reason to doubt that his performance levels in 2023 can be much higher than they were in 2022.

For the life of me, I'm a bit bewildered at the response to the part of my post-game review of the game that focused on Ewers.

Over the last few weeks, I've been about as loud of a vocal supporter for Ewers than just about anyone else in the industry.

* When people cried to the rafters that he should have been benched in Stillwater, I maintained that it was the kind of test he needed to experience and that I wouldn't have pulled him.

* When people said the performance in Stillwater was the worst in recent memory, I dedicated a huge portion of this column pointing out that it was far from the worst quarterback performance any of you have seen.

* When the Longhorns won in Manhattan, I stressed that he had played turnover-free football and gave his team a chance to win a critical road game.

* I've constantly stressed over and over again that Ewers is a young quarterback and experiencing things that most young quarterbacks deal with.

Therefore, I was more than a little surprised to somehow be positioned as some kind of anti-Ewers, click-bait fire-breather because of comments made in my Instant Analysis column.

So, what did I actually say that warranted such heat? Let's inspect it all, paragraph by paragraph.

"It's just that Quinn Ewers played at a level that basically required Sarkisian to take the ball completely out of his hands in the two drives that decided this game following his fumble that allowed the Bears to take a fourth-quarter lead."

With the Longhorns leading by 5 with 13:30 left in the fourth quarter, Ewers lost a fumble that was returned 16 yards for a touchdown that eventually gave Baylor a 27-24 lead. It was the 10th point of the game that Ewers had contributed to the Baylor cause. In the final 8+ minutes of the game, the Longhorns ran 22 straight plays on offense that asked Ewers to do nothing more than hand the ball off.

That feels like less of a piece of speculative commentary and more of a read of what actually happened.

The stats will show that Ewers was pretty good, as he finished with a 176.9 efficiency rating. Yet, sometimes stats can't tell a complete story. On a day when Ewers handed the Bears 10 points on a safety/fumble combo, while also leaving four points off the scoreboard on a high throw in the red zone to Ja'Tavion Sanders, Ewers' feel for the game and what's happening around him left a lot to be desired.

The stats will show that when Ewers threw the football, he had a really nice game from a statistical standpoint. On several throws, Ewers flashed the kind of arm talent that makes the mouth water. Yes, he did give away a safety when he threw the ball into an area where there were no receivers while he was in the end zone. He did hold onto the ball too long and committed the only sin he simply couldn't by fumbling the ball, which allowed Baylor to totally flip the script of the game in the fourth quarter. His situational awareness did leave a lot to be desired.

"A lot."

Yeah, a lot.

"I mean ... Sark just stopped letting him do anything other than hand off and that decision probably won the game."

"The scene was a giant reminder of how far this team still has to go at the quarterback position. When Sark said that the team would go into the spring with an open competition, he better mean it because it's much needed."

Again, where is the hyperbole and rhetoric that caused the outrage that occurred? The Texas quarterback position needs to play better, can't give the other team points through sloppy situational awareness and will be open for competition in a few months.

Assuming that Bijan Robinson turns pro and the likes of Jordan Whittington, Junior Angilau and Devin Richardson have played their final snaps as Texas football players as Friday seemed to suggest ...

The list?

RB Keilan Robinson
WR Isaiah Neyor
DT T'Vondre Sweat
DE Alfred Collins
LB Jaylan Ford
LB David Gbenda
CB Jahdae Barron
S Jerrin Thompson
S Kitan Crawford

That's nine before any further attrition or before the Portal potentially adds a few to it. A lot of leadership is departing and will need to be replaced.

... Bijan Robinson is 106 yards short heading into the bowl game of a 2,000-yard all-purpose season. Something to aim for!

... Xavier Worthy finished the regular season with nine touchdown receptions, which is two more than second-place in the Big 12 from Bryce Wheaton-Ford (West Virginia).

... No player in the Big 12 hit double digits in sacks this season, which is kind of wild. Barryn Sorrell finished sixth in the conference with 5.5. The next highest for Texas was DeMarvion Overshown, who placed tied for 18th with 5.

... Jahdae Barron held off late charges by Overshown and Jaylan Ford to finish as the team leader in tackle for loss with 11. That says a lot about how all over the field he's been all season.

On one hand, Kentucky wide receiver Barion Brown was saying all of the right things to the public following Kentucky's win over Louisville.

On the other hand, Brown's name has been making the rounds behind the scenes as a player that could absolutely end up in the Portal and I would suggest is a player to keep an eye on after catching 45 passes for 604 yards and four touchdowns.

That includes a monster 10 catches for 145 yards and a touchdown against Georgia two weeks ago.

The Portal is about to be bubbling over with talent and this is exactly the kind of player that would improve the Longhorns.

getit-wink.gif

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) Yeah, I think Sark will most likely run it back with the same group of coaches.

(Sell) I just don't see Sark going out for anyone that will get in the way of his young talent.

(Sell) I'm not 100-percent certain that we should count on Neyor being an automatic starter coming off of a major injury. That being said, it's possible we'll see a couple of starters in the top 4, along with Johntay Cook, when it's all said and done.

(Sell) From a statistical standpoint, it's basically a wash going into next season.

(Sell) I don't think 8-4 does a whole lot for a majority of the board that watched Tom Herman put up similar seasons. I'm not sure that I would say that the board is overwhelmingly negative, but I would say it is overwhelmingly unsatisfied. Frankly, they have a right to be.

(Sell) It's possible that both things are true and not mutually exclusive. Caleb Williams showed us last year what a 5-star quarterback talent truly looks like and I'm having a hard time putting Ewers in the same sentence with him at the moment, even if some of these growing pains are to be expected.

(Buy) I expect transfers in the Portal to be very turned on by the Texas NIL situation.

(Sell) Receivers love Sark's offense, his history of producing star players and the fact that Arch Manning lingers in the distance.

(Sell) I wouldn't just completely forget about it at all, but it was a step in the right direction.

(Sell) Joe Burrow had arguably the best season of any quarterback in NCAA history. Let's walk before we sprint like Ben Johnson on steroids.

1. Georgia
2 Michigan
3. USC
4. TCU
5. Ohio State
6. Alabama
7. Doesn't matter
8. Doesn't matter
9. Doesn't matter
10. Matters even less

... Heisman Ballot: 1. QB Caleb Williams (USC), 2. QB CJ Stroud (Ohio State), 3. RB Bijan Robinson (Texas), 4. QB Max Duggan (TCU) and 5. QB Bryce Young (Alabama)

... I couldn't be any more impressed with Michigan after they went into Columbus and shoved it in Ohio State's face. Jim Harbaugh has the team he's always dreamed of having. Do not sleep on them in the playoff.

... Caleb Williams is in a class by himself right now ... and he's back next season.

... I know LSU fans are smarting after that ass-kicking. They were so sure of themselves on Thanksgiving Day. Level 1 confirmed.

... Kansas was never going to beat the Wildcats in Manhattan. I felt bad for all of those with hope on Saturday night.

... It didn't end well for David Shaw and I'm not sure if we'll ever see him coach again, but he had a hell of a run at Stanford and is the postcard picture of doing things the "right way".

... All the USMNT needs to do to advance in the World Cup is beat Iran on Tuesday. Why does that feel like a tall task?

... From a neutral perspective, I'd love to see Messi and Mbappe have a showdown late in this tournament for the ages.

... Never fear UT basketball. You're about to be the center of attention for the next few months outside of recruiting and events from the Portal.

I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts over the weekend (The Big Picture) and a discussion of Steven Spielberg's best movies was at the heart of a discussion centering around the release of his new movie "The Fabelmans," which is expected to compete for Best Picture at this year's Oscars.

I found myself completely disagreeing with a lot of the list that was created and thought I would take it on in this week's column.

10. Lincoln
9. Munich
8. Minority Report
6. Schindler's List
4. Saving Private Ryan
4. Jurassic Park
2. E.T.
1. Jaws

No. 10 - And Finally ...

Arch Manning is done playing high school sports after his team lost this weekend in the state quarterfinals.

The five-star early enrollee turned the ball over three times, including his first two interceptions of the season. It just wasn't his night.

Now he heads to Texas.

I look at that qb stat list and think about how awful I believe Shapen to be. Then I look below his name and immediately get sad.

THIS

Reactions: darrenj and krzy4ut
it's been a bizarre couple of days on OB...a lot of trolls...and you would think the Negative Nancies of Doom Gloom Agony of Defeat and Despair might take a day or two off after beating Baylor, but they were out in force.

Oh, well...OB keeps re-defining itself

I look at that qb stat list and think about how awful I believe Shapen to be. Then I look below his name and immediately get sad.
PER is just a bad metric especially in today’s game. QBR is light years more telling. Take yesterday, Caleb’‘s PER was only 6 points higher hr Quinn’s. Does anybody actually believe that’s even close to accurate?

QBR Quinn 48.8 Caleb 97.6

I just can't do it.

Period.

Look at this mess.

View attachment 3524

"A lot."

Yeah, a lot.

The list?

RB Keilan Robinson
WR Isaiah Neyor
DT T'Vondre Sweat
DE Alfred Collins
LB Jaylan Ford
LB David Gbenda
CB Jahdae Barron
S Jerrin Thompson
S Kitan Crawford

getit-wink.gif

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

1. Georgia
2 Michigan
3. USC
4. TCU
5. Ohio State
6. Alabama
7. Doesn't matter
8. Doesn't matter
9. Doesn't matter
10. Matters even less

10. Lincoln
9. Munich
8. Minority Report
6. Schindler's List
4. Saving Private Ryan
4. Jurassic Park
2. E.T.
1. Jaws

No. 10 - And Finally ...

Now he heads to Texas.

Misc thoughts:

1. Isnt it a good thing when we dont have that many seniors returning? We will have a lot of experienced younger players here for 2 more years. And, some good upper class are getting drafted.

2. I think the vast majority of OPs and coaches see QE as our future in 2023.

3. Surprised we are not concerned about the WR’s crew for next season and should we be talking about it more often?

4. My neighbors son is a senior exec at an unnamed studio and saw just the rough cut of Fabelmans. Said it might be Speilbergs best movie in the last decade or more.

5. Arch is no lock at brining UT “back.” We should stop talking about it so much. QE is more of lock.

B\S Drew Sanders would have been another GIANT difference maker on this defense?

We can’t miss out on those types of prospects this portal round.

8-4 would be a success for this season. 9-3, impressive.

4 months later…we under achieved boo hooo…

Lame.

My expectations are high too. I grew up with this program like many of us, well before I was accepted into the school and got 2 degrees from it and now live a life comfortably because of it but realistically, we’ve been bad guys…for our standards? Really bad…

How many coaches, qbs, etc that we’ve been through? Give me a break. Just because most of us have won in life, many of us because what we accomplished at UT, doesn’t mean we can instill our personal expectations in this program. Could we have done more, of course, but we hit my baseline expectations and I knew it wasn’t gonna be pretty.

Those days and those expectations that WE had @Ketchum when we were in school together were a fantastic anomaly. Too bad we were to young to appreciate what we experienced. My expectations were met for this year…now next year though?…we’ll see.

You guys have your opinions and I see your point. This is mine, I’m im good with that.

LOL that people can’t accept that celebrating 8-4 is celebrating mediocrity.

Potatoes can’t be objective and admit Sark has not accomplished what he needs to with the most important piece of the on-field puzzle.

Going into an off-season with a QB competition the coach himself admits to after a full season of our perfectly rated QB under what is supposed to be a premier QB coach is a fail. The fact that his #1 receiver, one of the best in school history is rumored to leave for better QB play is a fail.

Sark has a lot of work to do and will get the time to do it. The question is, what is “success” next year? If we are celebrating 8-4 again, he needs the playoffs in year 5 to keep his job, if he survives another 8-4.

10. Lincoln
9. Munich
8. Minority Report
6. Schindler's List
4. Saving Private Ryan
4. Jurassic Park
2. E.T.
1. Jaws
I like the big Picture as well but their Spielberg list was crap. Yours makes more since

Ewers had the lowest completion percentage of any of the QBs on your Big 12 list...and he doesn't run. When you can't/won't run, you need to be the best passer. I hope he makes some big improvement or next year without the players we are losing will be a tough go.

8-4 would be a success for this season. 9-3, impressive.

4 months later…we under achieved boo hooo…

Lame.

My expectations are high too. I grew up with this program like many of us, well before I was accepted into the school and got 2 degrees from it and now live a life comfortably because of it but realistically, we’ve been bad guys…for our standards? Really bad…

How many coaches, qbs, etc that we’ve been through? Give me a break. Just because most of us have won in life, many of us because what we accomplished at UT, doesn’t mean we can instill our personal expectations in this program. Could we have done more, of course, but we hit my baseline expectations and I knew it wasn’t gonna be pretty.

Those days and those expectations that WE had @Ketchum when we were in school together were a fantastic anomaly. Too bad we were to young to appreciate what we experienced. My expectations were met for this year…now next year though?…we’ll see.

You guys have your opinions and I see your point. This is mine, I’m im good with that.
in the "official" records we lost the Alabama game...but the recruits saw what happened and took notice accordingly...let's hope Texas higher ups use that non safety call as the straw that broke the camel's back...because quite frankly, the last straw for me came in the Charlie game when the "official" bumped Charlie and there were ZERO repercussions.

Let's leave this league...they left us a long time ago.

Thank goodness our basketball team is really good. For the time being, our football team is not anywhere close to competing on the highest level. I think the football team is headed in the right direction though.

Btw @Ketchum you know Bijan is gone after the season. Not if

It's all about perspective. Anwar is positive. Ketch is negative. That's not a complement or an insult. It's just the way they perceive and project. Nobody is ever justified because nobody is always right. Seeing most of the mods last summer saying that 8-4 would be the expectation for growth and success, I'm sticking with that. We grew and the season was a success. But some people just can't be happy. Se La vi.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT