ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: Judging spring practice, Rodney Terry, UT baseball & movie fights)

Without question, a great scene.
It definitely is Ketch. Guys like him and Rod Taylor were great actors who could pretty much play anybody but got pigeonholed to a certain extent.

A side note about Rod Taylor. He was from Australia and he was an amateur boxing champion down there...... If you read William Smith's biography so was he.

Also again about Rod Taylor was this: there's a western called Chuka make in 1967....... There is a fight between him and Ernest Borgnine that is also considered 1 of the great western brawls of all time. No stuntmen in that fight.

If you see that fight Ketch think about this.....Ernest Borgnine was 50 years old in that movie.

Reactions: Ketchum
Is Smith your top guy? Crazy how different the candidate list looks after 12 months.

I don’t really have a working list but I do think he would check a lot of boxes. FWIW, guys who succeed at WAZZOU tend to be successful at subsequent jobs including Bennett, Sampson and George Raveling. But I’m sure there are currently others and more who will pop up every year.

I will say I now like to see folks with more established track records particularly as they work their way. Will be interesting to what a guy like Lamont Paris does in year 3 at South Carolina

The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films
With all due respect a pack of high schoolers from South Dallas could kick those Devo wanna be lookalike butts....... And not break a sweat either.

Wasn't there a really big fight between Martin Riggs and Mr. Joshua in Lethal Weapon?

Reactions: NTxHorn3423
Without question the greatest Bond hand to hand combat scene.

They said it took 2 days to film it and they were originally gonna do it with doubles gor the heavy fight sequences but both Sean Connery and Robert Shaw said we have to do it ourselves to convince the audience of the stakes.

So they both worked with the stunt coordinator.on everything involved

I believe Sean Connery himself said that Robert Shaw was probably one of the strongest men he'd ever met and fighting him was not easy. Connery was no slouch himself.

Somehow I have never seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I've never seen Shane.
Shane is a generational movie that is important to us oldies. It’s a movie that impacts a younger audience and that feeling is not duplicated if you are an adult watching for the first time.
Crouching Tiger is a great movie. You will not be disappointed.

What is an ob athlete?

Tip of the cap to former Orangebloods athlete Dylan Disu. It sucks that his college career ended with a subpar night, but he turned himself into one of the best players in the Big 12 this year
We had an NIL deal with him a few years back.

Reactions: SWTHORN123
I'll throw out a movie fight scene that is my personal #2 behind the original Roadhouse.

Matrix (Arnold) vs. Cooke (Bill Duke) in Commando. It has everything you want out of a fight sequence. Lots of punches landing, great in-fight trash talking, two innocent bystanders who are both fully nude, a death scene that consists of being impaled by a table leg, and if that isn't enough, you have Rae Dawn Chong interjecting "these guys eat too much red meat."

Matrix vs. Bennett in the same movie would also make my top 10 easily, but I would go with the Cooke fight as my personal favorite from that movie.

I'll throw out a movie fight scene that is my personal #2 behind the original Roadhouse.

Matrix (Arnold) vs. Cooke (Bill Duke) in Commando. It has everything you want out of a fight sequence. Lots of punches landing, great in-fight trash talking, two innocent bystanders who are both fully nude, a death scene that consists of being impaled by a table leg, and if that isn't enough, you have Rae Dawn Chong interjecting "these guys eat too much red meat."

Matrix vs. Bennett in the same movie would also make my top 10 easily, but I would go with the Cooke fight as my personal favorite from that movie.

Bill Duke is shitty with a gun. ;)

He is, but that's what makes this fight eligible for your list. It's not a gun fight, because the aim is so bad the gun is inconsequential.
I love you campaigning for it on a technicality!

The best fight scene in any movie is the trial by combat between two French knights (Matt Damon vs Adam Driver) at the end of “The Last Duel”. Matt Damon’s wife accused Driver of rape. The duel will determine God’s will. If Damon loses, Damon’s wife will be burned alive for lying. The premise being if she was innocent, her husband would have won. The losing knight’s body will be drug naked through the streets of Paris for the mob to have fun with. It’s based on a real incident that happened back in the Middle Ages. Brutal fight.

Reactions: Yahweh74
The best fight scene in any movie is the trial by combat between two French knights (Matt Damon vs Adam Driver) at the end of “The Last Duel”. Matt Damon’s wife accused Driver of rape. The duel will determine God’s will. If Damon loses, Damon’s wife will be burned alive for lying. The premise being if she was innocent, her husband would have won. The losing knight’s body will be drug naked through the streets of Paris for the mob to have fun with. It’s based on a real incident that happened back in the Middle Ages. Brutal fight.
Great scene.

Terry has one more year to prove he’s not the guy that he’s been his whole coaching career. Pierce is likely the same - maybe 2 years.

And how you left Clouseau vs Kato out of the fight list is beyond me…🤔🤣
David Pierce has had the equivalent of one final four and two other elite eight seasons...in 6 years. He was a hair from making another elite eight last year, which would have been 3 years in a row. It was said above that Barnes got some leeway for the 7 years stale period because of his previous "skins". Pierce has about the same number of skins as Barnes had...in far fewer years.

And no, I am not dumb enough to think that a basketball coach at Texas will be held to the same standard as a baseball coach at Texas, at least in the fan's eyes. I'm just posting facts.

Reactions: streettopeschel
David Pierce has had the equivalent of one final four and two other elite eight seasons...in 6 years. He was a hair from making another elite eight last year, which would have been 3 years in a row. It was said above that Barnes got some leeway for the 7 years stale period because of his previous "skins". Pierce has about the same number of skins as Barnes had...in far fewer years.

And no, I am not dumb enough to think that a basketball coach at Texas will be held to the same standard as a baseball coach at Texas, at least in the fan's eyes. I'm just posting facts.
Just to clarify (since I clumsily lumped the two coaches together), RT should have one more season of mediocre (Shaka-like) results before we yank the rip cord. If Pierce (despite his accomplishments, which do not include dominating the conference or having assistant coach continuity) keeps on his same path for two more years, then resulting placements in the bottom half of the SEC will result and a spiral such has never been seen in the long history of UT baseball would be likely - hence his dismissal.

Just to clarify (since I clumsily lumped the two coaches together), RT should have one more season of mediocre (Shaka-like) results before we yank the rip cord. If Pierce (despite his accomplishments, which do not include dominating the conference or having assistant coach continuity) keeps on his same path for two more years, then resulting placements in the bottom half of the SEC will result and a spiral such has never been seen in the long history of UT baseball would be likely - hence his dismissal.
If David Pierce has 2 or 3 more seasons similar to 2019 then I have no doubt he will be replaced. That is his only "bad" season so far at Texas.

Concerning dominating the conference...since he's been the coach, 5 teams have won or shared the regular season championship in those 6 years....TCU, TT, Texas, Ok State, and West Virginia.

TCU, TT, and Texas have each won an outright conference championship. Texas and TCU both have tied for two conference championships. TT has tied for one conference championship. Ok State and WVa both have tied for one.

Has Texas dominated the conference since he's been here? No, but they share the most titles or shares of titles with TCU and are ahead of every other team in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: streettopeschel
Ketch as usual great 10 thoughts. You could argue about the fight list but I thought it was pretty spot on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT